1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Did you pre-order already?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Larsenex, Nov 21, 2018.

?

Did you Pre order Gathering Storm?

1. Yes

56.0%
  2. No

44.0%
  1. Xmonger

Xmonger Chieftain

My policy with Civ is to Just Buy It.

cinattra and MisterBoomBoom like this.
  2. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Anyone know if the amount of money Firaxis gets from the sale depends on where you buy it? As in, if I buy it full price from Steam, will Firaxis get more money from my purchase than if I buy it at a discount from a third party store?

3. Xmonger

Xmonger Chieftain

No way to know. Steam takes in the neighborhood of 30% but lower cuts are negotiated with AAA developers (I'm one of the lowly 30%ers) . The third party store probably gets the smallest cut.

WillowBrook likes this.
  4. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

"This 20% off place" (GreenManGaming) is an official channel, just like Steam. Just like steam, it's even promoted on the official Civ VI website.

TahamiTsunami and WillowBrook like this.
  5. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

I had pre-ordered Vanilla and R&F shortly after they were announced as I was excited by the initial game reveals and also wanted to support FXS. However, with GS, even though I'm just as excited, I don't think I'm going to pre-order early this time.

I was dismayed that there wasn't something offered as a pre-order bonus for R&F and wish I would have waited before giving into my impulsiveness. It doesn't look like GS will offer a bonus either so it'll definitely be a February purchase now.

Other than perhaps a financial situation or general goodwill towards the company, I can't see any particular reason for an individual to pay for something (particularly an unlimited digital commodity) up-front, without at least some kind of incentive. A map pack, a few exclusive NWs or CSs, or even an alt leader would have been a nice thank you.

WorldWarIV, racha, raen and 3 others like this.
  6. ggrecean

ggrecean Chieftain

My thoughts exactly. Thank you!

MisterBoomBoom likes this.
  7. King Rad

King Rad Warlord

GMG has it for 20% off and I don't think I'll find it better than that anywhere.

DWilson likes this.
  8. alancsilver

alancsilver Warlord

Done! I don't think I will find a better deal than GMG and it looks like they are putting a lot of work and features into this expansion

9. leandrombraz

leandrombraz King

People give way too much credit to how pre order affect the industry when there's a lot more that happened in the last 20 years, that make way more sense than evil developers refusing to work on the game because they already got our money. One thing that have way more effect than pre order on the poor state some games are launched is the ability to patch after launch. That plus unrealistic deadlines and the financial cost of a delay means that a lot of bugs and issues are marked to be fixed after launch. They focus on anything game breaking or that might fail the consoles certification process, they try to get on a playable state with the little time they have then launch aware that the game have issues. They release broken games because they can fix later and because they set unrealistic deadlines.

Fallout 76 is a great example. You can bet Bethesda was aware the game had issues, so they let people play it on their B.E.T.A. event, already selling the narrative that the game will break, they launch in the established deadline hoping people will stick with it, after all, it's Fallout, then they will keep updating it, hoping that as the game improve, the playerbase will grow. It have little to do with pre order, which guarantee some sales but they still rely on day one and post launch sales to be lucrative.

This article is about work condition on QA but it give some insight on this process, it's worth reading. Off topic but Firaxis seems to be an exception on QA work condition, they seem to value their QA a lot more than it's standard in the industry, at least that's the impression I have.

As for my pre order, I usually pre order a few weeks before launch. Why I pre order? Because I have no reason not to and if it's something I want to buy and play on day one to see if it's good or bad by myself, I want to be done with it and ready to play once it's launched.

Expansions and DLCs usually don't have preload.

10. warpyg

warpyg Chieftain

I don't have any incentive to pre-order on Steam, period. I'll buy it a few days before launch.

11. criZp

criZp Emperor

so I will just pay for it when it releases, then.

12. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

IIRC, Rise and Fall did have preload

WillowBrook and Rup like this.
  13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I will probably pre order after Xmas if I don't receive it as a gift. The practical side of me doesn't like to pre order too early. What if some state actor manages to take down the internet? What if we have a solar event that wipes out our electrical grid? Granted, playing Civ6 would be the least of my problems in the latter event, in the former event I would be Ticked off I can't play a game due to lack of internet. And the former event could completely crash the economy rendering concern over $40 unfounded. Or I could get disabled in some way. Note: I don't seriously worry about these things, except for the last one, but I do something think of them from time to time. Because if you think about it, you are paying for a product you are not receiving. Although it's not really that different from getting concert tickets well in advance.

14. warpyg

warpyg Chieftain

Oh it's very different! Tickets to events have limited quantity, so you have to grab your space before someone else does. With GS you lose nothing if you wait. For me it has to do with Firaxis/Steam giving the fans a little recognition and a small thank you. So I'm waiting until February to buy it!

15. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

The game is trying to be subtle about getting me to pre-order.... ;)

Canal.png

16. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

haha. I wasn't seeing at first, looking at the tooltip popup. That's the game trolling you.

I noticed they changed the start screen for both Civ5 and Civ6 advertising the new expansion.

17. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I'm not pre-ordering the expansion until all the Civs have been revealed.

18. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Just waiting til after Christmas. Always ask for Steam cards so it might get 'gifted' to me.

19. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

This is a definite 'wait for the reviews and forum feedback' for me. I'm skeptical about these changes improving the game, might be the opposite and make it worse.

Aristos and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  20. kingofsealand

kingofsealand Warlord

Just preordered 20% off on GMG, I used them for rise and fall as well which I think is what got me the discount status and had no issues activating the expansion on release. Seems like a great deal of features for $32.

King Rad likes this.