Digital Trends Article - All Major Civ5 BNW Systems To Be In Place At Launch

Talcove

Slayer of Spies
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/civilization-vi-first-details/

Much of the article is the same as the Polygon article, but with one very important new detail.

In previous iterations of the series, certain systems were left out of the initial release, which were then added in through subsequent expansions. Beach told us, however, that all of the major systems — including espionage, religion, tourism, archaeology, and trade routes — will be in place at launch. He admits that some will be more fleshed out than others, still leaving room for later additions, but the basics will be there. Beach cited his team’s experience on Civ V’s expansions as ideal preparation for tackling the core game’s entirety.

Many were angry when Civ5 Vanilla was 'streamlined' from Civ4 and didn't include many people's favourite features (Like, seriously, how do you not include Religion in the base game?), so it look slike for Civ6 those fears can be, mostly, put to rest. I say mostly since it does say that some of the systems will be different from their implementation in Civ5 and may be more simplistic at first.

This also leaves the doors wide open for the DLCs (Which are confirmed) and expansion packs.

Very glad to see this; more proof that Ed Beach actually seems to have his act together on designing this game. I have no real qualms about later DLCs/expansion packs fleshing out some of these game systems, just so long as it doesn't take us two expansion packs and three years for them to even show up...

Very cool. Civ V shipping without any religion system was inexcusable.

Stuff like espionage and archaeology has always been more fluff than anything else but maybe Civ VI will flesh them out a bit more. I'm very glad trade routes are staying, that was one of Civ V's best ideas.

I can do without the two-expansions-and-done route this time. Let's see some Crusader Kings II-style longevity.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/civilization-vi-first-details/

Much of the article is the same as the Polygon article, but with one very important new detail.

Many were angry when Civ5 Vanilla was 'streamlined' from Civ4 and didn't include many people's favourite features (Like, seriously, how do you not include Religion in the base game?), so it look slike for Civ6 those fears can be, mostly, put to rest. I say mostly since it does say that some of the systems will be different from their implementation in Civ5 and may be more simplistic at first.

This also leaves the doors wide open for the DLCs (Which are confirmed) and expansion packs.

What do they mean by "some will be fleshed out more than others?" That doesn't worry me. I just care that we will have them in the early release.

Is it possible then, that we will have two expansions featuring Corporations and Diplomacy? Something we did not get in Civ 5.

I can do without the two-expansions-and-done route this time. Let's see some Crusader Kings II-style longevity.

You know, I agree.

To this day I think Civ 5 is a top tier game (it's one of the highest currently playing games on Steam). The game is what? 6, 7 years old?

So a change of approach could mean big money for Firaxis if done right (not a bad thing)

In Beech and Shirk we trust!

I kinda picked that up from the trailer, there was this odd order of things that made me think "Well, at least artists will stay there". Good to see the whole thing will be staying. Screenshots show archaeology too.

I mean, to be sincere, the game would have a bad start if it didn't, the graphical change isn't that meaningful so they will need to cash in on the whole "going far beyond the limits of the past game" if they want to make this marketable.

And yeah +1 to Paradox longevity, hell, I would even be open to the silly useless graphical packs, if that meant that in the end we will have as much new content as CK2 (And a lot of it distributed on free patches even)

it will be interesting to see how fleshed out they are

Well, I'm glad they're doing it but...

1) I didn't give a rat's ass that Civ V lacked these mechanics. In fact, I assumed had they tried to include all of them at ship, they would have been found lacking. There's only so much time to develop a game, and it's better to focus on doing a few things well than many things poorly, IMO. Just look at what all the extra time spent on BNW got us!

2) So now I am willing to take bets that people will be just as upset in Civ VI when these mechanics aren't as fleshed out as they'd like them to be. I'm calling this now.

I feel neutral on this. I never felt bad about a new base Civ "taking out" systems of the older Civ. Seems like every time a bunch of systems are taken out and a bunch of new systems are added in, and it just so happens that the old and new system might be called the same thing. (Like, I don't think they took out the religion system and then put it back - they "took out" the CIV IV religion system and then they put in a different religion system in G&K.)

So on the negative side, I'm worried that they put in new systems that are not very good or not very different to avoid backlash*. On the plus side, maybe they are thinking about all of the systems the eventual "complete" game will have before launch and in the end they won't feel as tacked on.

* And I mean backlash in neutral way. It's totally valid to want them to keep the actual mechanics you like from the previous game. And it's also valid to want to have the same story elements as the last game (e.g., the concept of religion even if it is represented with a different mechanic). But it's also valid for the designers to make changes that not everyone likes.

Top Bottom