Dirk's deity game pt II

^Good idea, around 1AD we'll probably have a fair comparision, look forward to it. Idea from here is to research straight on to IW foregoing writing once i settle 2 gems. Need mysticism in between of course.

What's our take on the espionage issue from here. Since i have a head start on SB i think keep focus on him.

For countering espionage of sitting bull I would just put a spy in each city. Really increase chances of catching and doesn't seem like it would take so much. Always running counter espionage might work too but could get expensive fast. I hope someone who can play deity (not me) can shadow with wine spot second to see the difference. Could be interesting.

@whats a navy
the extra spies costs maintenance and hammers to produce. On deity the freebie units are virtually non-existing, so having spies is quite a drag. Overall, that's an expensive solution.
I can bet Sitting dude has already allocated commerce to spies.

---
Duckweed who is an outstanding player already told he'd shadow w/ a second wine city. You won't get much better than that.

Yes better to let the water get poisoned once in a while, we'll get over that and if we'll get SB to pleased he won't poison that often i believe. I was thinking about stealing actually, after 100 turns we'll have 400 ep on SB as it is now, maybe i should switch to Liz. Both will have something to steal that i can use but stealing from SB might well be more expensive since he'll probably spend more ep on us than Liz will. But if he poisons our water and we keep focus on him stealing might become rather cheap in the end.

I'm sure Duckweed'll make a good showing with his wine second city so we will have to play well to prove our strategy is valid as well.

Dirk, using the EP doesn't change the cost of operation (it looks I am mentioning that often). What determines the base cost is total points generated ever of both parties, no directed to anyone, or directed at all. SB spending on poison water might make him losing the passive benefits only (like city vision, etc) but nothing else.

For instance infiltrating (by great spy of yours) Liz will make operation of SB towards you quite expensive.

I'd inclined to think Liz might get courthouses quite early to even the scales (and generate more than SB)...

Didn't know that, one of the reasons to play a game like this. So it's total spending over time and it doesn't go away once you/they use those points.Best to keep focus on SB probably.

Nice start for the walkthrough, Dirk. I appreciate the explainations for your choices- sometimes it's hard to figure out what advice a player has taken in these advice-heavy games!

With all that land in the south, you really want a second city that can contribute productively to your REX: Gems city is beautiful long-term, but pure junk before IW (maybe you can chop one useful thing out but then, ugh.). Center Jungle city is not much better. On the other hand, scouting through the western pass may reveal a decent site with those 2 fp + rice (jungled? I can't tell from the screen shot).

In terms of blocking, you don't know where to block until you know where the AI's live. It may turn out that the western pass is the best block, while jungle in the center is enough to slow AI expansion north.

If i settle gems i'll go mysticism->IW directly after BW. Just looked at the position again. If i can keep the warrior alive long enough i can scout some more of the west and the gems site before i come running south with the settler.

Settling the gems city can't wait too long because i it needs a monument and a border pop. I'm going to try to time this border pop with IW. I'll send a second settler to the south as well but maybe i won't this one settle immediately just posting it waiting for ai settlers to show up.
I have chariots which is good because this tactic needs scouting, else you may lose the site to an ai coming out of the fog in the end.

I have chariots which is good because this tactic needs scouting, else you may lose the site to an ai coming out of the fog in the end.

Not to mention to a barb city.

I'm sure Duckweed'll make a good showing with his wine second city so we will have to play well to prove our strategy is valid as well.

Are we going to have a competition then for best game with second wine spot or not? I think it would be quiet fun and interesting.

Dirk--thanks for doing this game. By playing it slow you really give a chance for some good discussion.

I have to go in Duckweed's camp here on the wine city--if you could effectively block the AI with one crap (pre IW) city then I'd go that route. However, here you need to build a whole lot of stuff--chariots, workers, and at least one other blocking city and likely 2.

Looking forward to this one:)

Dirk, sorry again. I somehow thought you wouldn't look at the spoiler, since I addressed you directly below. Oh, well... Nothing too bad came out of it, as you would've met him soon anyway.

I would think focusing EP on Liz is better, since she's your likely Philo/Lib competition. No?

I'm divided on settling pattern here. South cities could all use border pops and lots of worker turns... Still, I think I would try for gems, followed by something in the SW, blocking off another site or two in the SE hopefully.

I'm really looking forward to following the next part of your game. Good pace so far. :goodjob:

I'm a hard blocker/rexer, so I agree with Dirk here. Settle the gems first, (scout east of it first though, to see if there's any food, would hate to miss out on an irrigated corn or something) then do the dye city. Once you have those cities up and IW, you'll have more than enough room for cities, which is always beneficial.

Another reason to settle on the wine instead of beside it is you get the happiness quicker. Not sure if it's on a river or not, but roading and improving wine takes turns, and assuming it takes 6+ turn to improve the wine, you could probably have all your cities up an extra population if you settle on it (if you have Monarchy).

'Tis all about shavin' off turns.

+1 for cow/wine/double sushi site as second city (on the wine). Can grow your first scientist nicely.
I am not sure of the viability of IW. It delays your first trade imo (I try to trade part of alpha against IW when I am roman, but that's it). Would be nice to see how far are the AIs though to know a bit more about when you need to head toward these nice jungle sites :)

Cheers,
Ras

PS: can you put links toward the sets in the first post? I know it's a bit more work, but as we all expect pages and pages of discussion, it will soon be a PITA to find the reports (well, like in any SGs in fact :lol:) :)

^I'll do that, else it'll be a mess soon. I'm not so worried about missing an early trade, the start's slow anyway and will be very slow with iw first, if 'm able to catch up around 500 ad with 10+ cities i'm happy. I'm not in such a hurry to be equal in tech since there's not much risk i'll be attacked.

Rather long and maybe somewhat incoherent post since i have more or less written down directly what i'm thinkng about our options from here,

If i don't go for IW directly settling gems will take rather long to make a profit i think. I'd need to go mysticism ->writing then probably aesthetics, backtrade for IW before the gem city would be profitable. After writing i can speed things up bit with libraries but it would take a long time. As it is i did some very rough calculation, it's 11 turns to bw now mysticism will be ~7 turns and IW between 20 and 25 turns i guess. So we're ~40 turns from IW meaning we'll get it around 1300 bc which would be fine by me.

There is a problem though, this calculation assumes i only settle the gems city , if i settle more
IW will be delayed longer. Connecting the cities will help with this however. I feel it's a bit early to speculate on this, not really sure how much workers i'll have how the land lies exactly etc.
After BW it's almost certainly best to go myst since even something like wine city needs a border pop. We'll have a clearer view what to tech next. It's good to keep in mind that the gems city doesn't have to be settled immediately, a monument can be pre chopped there so we'll need so settle ~12 turns before iw. Just station a settler there to make sure no ai picks the spot. In this light we may settle one city closer to home but to make any city profitable in terms of science we'll need writing so this a different route altogether and unfortunately we'll have to decide here soon, settling close to home means directly going after writing, settling near gems means iw. Stationing a settler near gems leaves both routes open but we may well be forced into settling rather soon, also since we delay our cultural border another ai may settle right on one of the gems so we lose one + other tiles, this makes just stationing a settler there a not so good idea i think.

Capital's not really good for cottaging and it needs to produce settlers/workers/chariots for some time. Our new cities will need a granary but probably after a monument. Don't think we're in such a hurry for pottery but can't delay it forever of course.

So: as far as i can see,
1. settle gems asap and chop a monument, go iw directly
2. settle gems asap and chop a monument but go a more normal route to writing, build some more cities and prioritize libraries, soak up the maintenance from the gems city pre IW.
3. Build closer to home, i'll leave that to Duckweed.

There is one other important advantage to 1. There'll probably be lots of barbcities, even with copper swords are so much better in taking these cities out compared to axes. If we don't have copper we may easily lose some of these cities to the ai. Taking out barbcities'll generate money too.

Almost everyone is in favor of settling on the wine now or later, i think it's best too but i'd like to point out that it's not necessary to settle on the wine for an early scientist as 3 food resources is overkill. It'll be a great midgame spot for gpp and Globe also since there are 3 mines to build them.

@kadazzle, that's indeed an other small advantage of settling on wine. It's a fair tile to work as well though 2F1H4C.

@babybluepants, she'll be but it doesn't matter for the stealing? If you mean it's for visibility of research you may be quite right, is it possible to generate enough spy points to do that? think so actually. Atm i'd need 73 ep to see her research and it's already 136 for SB. Like to see some other thoughts on this, i'd be inclined to switch for this reason. There's a good chance btw we'll miss lib here especially if we go iw first. Not such a problem if we secure enough land.

I may play to BW tonight, we'll have some more info by then.

Dirk, if you dont annoy her, do not switch. Passive effect depend on ratio mostly but of course are also modified by total EP generated (and religion/security bureau),
When you switch, she'd switch the weight to target you which will make further attempts to get the passive benefits harder. Remember the SG deity challengers and MM, his research and cities were visible quite easily.

If she doesn't target you, no need to switch just yet.

But if i don't switch i won't get visibility of her research. Maybe i won't if i do switch as well. I'm not so very good at espionage, research visibility is a passive benefit i assume but i will have to set ep on her sometime to get the visibility. And she'll shift espionage weigh as well. Problem is that visibility of SB's research wil not help me much, he'll sure have things i want but unless i'll get him to friendly he won't trade much of it. Then again Liz may well be so advanced for a long time that i can't trade with her either.

Introduction has been updated to show the rounds played sofar.

Have you considered settling the flood plains city to the west? By the looks of the map, there is still a chance that seafood is there, and then it would be able to function as a GP farm.

Specifically, if you look at the desert tile next to the flood plains, there are many uncovered sea tiles which may reveal some seafood. Placing a city there would allow another one to be settled 3 tiles to the east and grab the grassland cow. This other city would be on the river.

Yes, In case of seafood there i'd prefer that site to early wine city since it partially blocks off the west and can make an early scientist as well as the wine city with extra food. It could make the scientist even without extra food, would take longer though. Maybe i'll have time to scout with a chariot there next 10 turns. If i block on the X's i mentioned i need to settle there anyway or there's a good chance the cities on the X spots get cut off from the rest of the empire (which is disastrous).

Yes, In case of seafood there i'd prefer that site to early wine city since it partially blocks off the west and can make an early scientist as well as the wine city with extra food. It could make the scientist even without extra food, would take longer though. Maybe i'll have time to scout with a chariot there next 10 turns. If i block on the X's i mentioned i need to settle there anyway or there's a good chance the cities on the X spots get cut off from the rest of the empire (which is disastrous).

Not to mention...$$$...Cottages.

...but still, it would be dependent on finding seafood there.

Top Bottom