[RD] Discussion on IQ (split from effect of white people on America)

How would the concept of epigenetics change the discussion? Or does it?
my words - epigenetics is the way that the environmental factors affect gene expression.... your grandparents environment affects your gene expression??? (my words, but this may be an overstatement)

Is it less offensive/dangerous a concept if I were to speculate that african americans average IQ expression if you will could have been affected by their ancestors living in bondage for generations.... and that in general west African peoples have been exploited going back perhaps 800 years or much longer (depending on your definitions and outlook of history).
^ I think even that kind of thinking has dangerous implications but shouldn't be censored.

Speculating on epigenetics you can start to see a compounding, exponential possibility. I don't know enough to push that possibility, just throwing it out there. I'm not a geneticist or exceptionally well informed on the subject of epigenetics, nature vs nuture, etc. I enjoy speculative genetics themed sci-fi and stayed in a holiday inn last night :p. I think overall genetics, DNA, intelligence.... these are all still relatively young fields and we're speculating on data that will be replaced soon with better data. I think that's a fair statement.

How would the concept of epigenetics change the discussion? Or does it?
my words - epigenetics is the way that the environmental factors affect gene expression.... your grandparents environment affects your gene expression??? (my words, but this may be an overstatement)

Is it less offensive/dangerous a concept if I were to speculate that african americans average IQ expression if you will could have been affected by their ancestors living in bondage for generations.... and that in general west African peoples have been exploited going back perhaps 800 years or much longer (depending on your definitions and outlook of history).
^ I think even that kind of thinking has dangerous implications but shouldn't be censored.

Speculating on epigenetics you can start to see a compounding, exponential possibility. I don't know enough to push that possibility, just throwing it out there. I'm not a geneticist or exceptionally well informed on the subject of epigenetics, nature vs nuture, etc. I enjoy speculative genetics themed sci-fi and stayed in a holiday inn last night :p. I think overall genetics, DNA, intelligence.... these are all still relatively young fields and we're speculating on data that will be replaced soon with better data. I think that's a fair statement.

My guess would be that epigenetics for the child takes in account the overall situation of the mother + the environment of the child.
IF....if that mother could grow up with a metabolical healthy situation and is mentally "on top" of her life, epigenetics is I think only two generations deep.
That mental "on top" effect goes however pretty far.
People that do some exercise and some fairly health eating and THINK that they do that better than people around them, live substantial longer, also when everybody did the same or a bit better. => A placebo effect.
Alpha apes fed milled macdonald food are more healthy than omega apes with the same food. If you exchange the alpha omega positions with some tricks, the health of the former alpha goes down the the former omega. And the other swap the same reversal.
Typical alpha managers that retire and are not able to get a comparable meaning of life and status can expect a fast health and longevity detoriation (to the normal level back)
and so many more literature of that nature.
The only good thing about that mentally "on top" is that the comparison seems moreover to relate to the people you "see" around you.

On a cynical note:
seeing all that tv news stuff wherefrom you can get the idea that your life is "better" than that of those "others" is good for your performance. Feeling exceptional to "others" and unique... yet within the comfort of a group similar to you seems optimal.

The nicest example of a strong effect of epigenetics I know is the Queen bee, living approx 20 times longer than a work bee. About 20% of the expressed genes differing.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2970563/

I terms of SF and nightmare DNA manipulation.
How about a society where you can buy for your child the epigenetic Royal food that makes a star out of your child ?
The normal food enriched with the epigenetic factors that induce obedient happy serf behaviour.
Nobility and serfs nicely segregated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom