Discussion: Pedias, Great People, Tech Quotes, etc.

O Goddesse heavenly bright,
Mirror of grace and Majestie divine
Great Lady of the greatest Isle, whose light
Like Phoebus lampe throughout the world doth shine,
Shed they faire beames into my feeble eyne

Spoiler :
Gloriana I Tudor (1533-1603)

The Faerie Queene of England and Ireland

The Faerie race (now more commonly, though inaccurately, spelled “fairy”) have long dwelled in European forests, crossing over from their own fractional dimension now and then for millennia. Their greatest contribution to human culture was one of its strongest leaders, Gloriana. The monarchs of the faeries, Oberon and Titania, were known to know and again take human mates creating faerie-blooded individuals throughout Europe. One of these people was Anne Bullen, whose magical lineage was betrayed by the six fingers on one of her hands. As one of the wives of Henry VIII, she bore a child so pale-skinned that some thought the babe would not live past infancy. But it was simply the natural glow of a faerie coming through. Though Henry longed for a son, he nonetheless blessed the child. It was said that the Archbishop at her christening foresaw a life of purity for the alabaster child and that “A most unspotted lily shall she pass to the ground.”

Gloriana's early life was filled with danger. She had the danger of growing up an unwanted daughter of a insane father who was destroying England's ties to the Catholic Church and engaging in civil war so that he could legally marry another woman (several other women, in fact), and the added danger of her faerie heritage, whose race had long been feared in English culture. Some even thought that she was not even the true daughter of Henry, and merely a faerie changeling left in the cradle after the fair folk snatched the true heir, as faeries were known to have done. Gloriana had to use all of her wits to survive.

Gloriana received an excellent education at the hands of various tutors, including the great scholars of the day. She was an outstanding student, and could speak five languages fluently. She also made sure she was well cared for, keeping her childhood nurse as a personal assistant well into her reign.

When King Henry VIII died, the throne passed to his young son, Edward. At fifteen Gloriana was implicated in a plot to overthrow him. She came close to being executed, surviving only because she was able to convince her skeptical interrogators that she knew nothing of the plot.

When King Edward died in 1553, Gloriana's older sister, Mary, assumed the throne. An ardent Catholic, Mary was quite unpopular with a number of Protestant noblemen, who attempted unsuccessfully to overthrow her in 1554. Once again Gloriana was implicated, but once again she talked her way out of execution.

Queen Mary was executed in 1558 after three months of deliberation, and Gloriana became Queen. She was beloved by the populous; though she was tough, she garnered the affectionate nickname of “Queenie” in her closest circles. Gloriana was an extraordinary ruler. She restored the debased currency of England and established the Protestant Church as the official Church of England, thinking the more localized brand of Christianity to be more tolerant towards her kind than the Pope. However, she attempted to stem the persecution of Catholics in the country - at least as much as was possible when the Catholic nobility were actively plotting her demise. Her cabinet was just as extraordinary. Gloriana had a loyal Lord Chamberlain in Lord Melchett, who served as an early head of the Church of England. Her court alchemist, John Subtle, became known as one of the most important figures in the Western esoteric tradition, furthering the knowledge of magick and alchemy. He is also famous, some say infamous, as the publisher of the first English translation of the Yuggoth sacred text, the Necronomicon. We now know that Subtle was an alias of none other than Prospero, the famed mystic and exiled Duke of Milan, who was given an English name during his tenure as to avoid accusations of importing Italian popery into the Royal cabinet. The English spy network was also one of Gloriana’s gifts to the nation. Her chief spymaster was Sir Jack Wilton who, thanks to his youth spent on rather unfortunate travels, had a vast knowledge of the working of continental Europe. He became the first head of English (later British) Intelligence and was the first to hold the position of “M”, shorthand for Master. it was also Gloriana's plans that brought the first incarnation of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Under Gloriana, England became a center of culture, where artists like the great historian and biographer William Shakespeare flourished. Shakespeare was a great chronicler of the history of Gloriana’s Tudor family going back to the days of Arthur. He was also friendly towards her faerie ancestors, writing a comedy about the lives of Oberon and Titania at the behest of the Endless Dream.

Gloriana used all of the tools available to her to achieve her goals. She received countless offers of marriage from nobility and indeed from kings across Europe. But she accepted none of them, instead using her unmarried state to control her friends and foes alike; if one faction got too strong, she could drive them back into line by suggesting that she was considering marrying someone from an opposing faction. She used this reputation to project a virginal image to offset her magical race. Although it was rumored that she had secret relations with the Earl of Essex. Another rumored companion was an anonymous man, described in records only as “a strangely attired physician who dwelt within a box”. The notoriously outspoken aristocrat Orlando claimed in his/her biography to have had relations with the Queen, saying that she was his/her inspiration to never age, though he/she also claimed to have lived since the Trojan War. Edmund, Lord Blackadder, another aspiring suitor to the Queen, called Orlando’s claim, “A good load of bollocks. Certainly more bollocks than he has in his britches.”

Militarily, Catholic Spain was England's greatest threat. Spain was the great continental power of the day, and its leader, King Philip, had upon more than one occasion expressed the intent of invading England. In 1588 he tried, building a huge armada to conquer the upstart nation. Gloriana quickly organized the country's navy to fend off the fleet, and by a combination of superior tactics, ship design, and some foul weather at just the right moment, they defeated the Spanish foe. Afterwards Spanish ships were constantly harassed by crown-backed privateers such as the famous Sir Geoffrey Thorpe, known to friend and enemy as The Sea Hawk. England was not to be seriously threatened with invasion for about 400 years. After her triumph, she would occasionally send military aid to other countries, such as the Dutch, who were also fighting the Spanish. Her only real foreign policy blunder came late in her life, when in 1601 the King of Denmark requested for an upstart prince to be beheaded in the Tower of London. Through a miscommunication, the prince’s two handlers were killed instead, and he went on to cause the death of the royal family and the subsequent occupation of Denmark by Norway.

Faerie enchantment made England into a wondrous place during Gloriana’s reign. Her unearthly charm inspired a resurgence of chivalric culture, one of the last generation of knights willing to die in the name of a lady’s love. Knights such as Calidore, Artegall, Guyon, and the Redcrosse Knight marked one of the last eras of true courtly love before the Age of Reason. This pastoral existence was one of the things that would be lost upon Gloriana’s passing.

Gloriana died in 1603, having left her country in far better state, but without an heir. After some debate the next monarch, James VI of Scotland was chosen to be James I of England. He was something of a scholar on the subject of magic, publishing his treatise on demonology in 1597. No friend to the Tudors or the faeries, James thought magic to be as dangerous to the British Isles as the Catholic Church that his predecessor fought so hard against. So harsh was his treatment of magic in Britain that the faeries decided to break their connection to the mortal world altogether. James’ rule would also be used by magic users as one of the main arguments for moving underground in the 1689 International Statute of Secrecy.

Sources:

Spoiler :
The Faerie Queene: Gloriana, Calidore, Artegall, Guyon, the Redcrosse Knight
A Midsummer Night's Dream: Oberon, Titania
Henry VIII: Anne "Bullen", the quote upon her birth
Hamlet: the Denmark incident
The Alchemist: John Subtle
The Tempest: Prospero
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Several of the character's positions, the League itself
James Bond: "M"
The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex
Orlando: A Biography
Sandman: Midsummer Night’s Dream: Dream of the Endless
Blackadder II: Blackadder, Nursie, Melchett
The Sea Hawk: Sir Geoffrey Thorpe
Doctor Who: The End of Time: the physician
The Dunwich Horror: Dee as translator of the Necronomicon
Arthurian Legend
The Unfortunate Traveller: Jack Wilton
Harry Potter: the International Statute of Secrecy

Good, but one thing: I've already written into the timeline that Gloriana is assassinated in 1602 by Otto von Doom of Latveria, in a reference to Marvel 1602- though in the comic, Otto actually was Dr Doom, rather than his ancestor, as I have portrayed him here. Shall I change this on the next update, or will you change your entry instead? (The next update is actually being worked on, just very slowly- I'm far busier lately than I had anticipated, especially since my goal for this year is to write an entire novel by next January.)

"Gloriana, Gloriana, Gloriana"

Wonderful, another amazing pedia entry! But could you weasle in a reference to Mary I of Scotland? There is much fiction about her and her relationship to Elizabeth, and, as always, Wikipedia is a great aid. By the way, I'm surprised the first League of Extraordinary Gentlemen isn't mentioned.

Now to the list of pedias yet to come. As mentioned previously, I currently work on Firefly and I'll probably write Joffer's pedia afterwards. Johnny, I'd be glad if you would do Aquaman, Doom and T'Challa because I've never been into comics and I'd have to base them entirely on research.
You seem a bit reluctant to write Huitzilopochtli so I would like to do him myself (*proud mythology fan*), if you don't mind. And maybe Ra, too, while I'm at it.

Dracula and Transylvania... I've been struggling with these two about four times by now but I always give up because of the tremendous amount of vampire fiction that's out their floating through the world.
I suppose I'm going to do Howling Coyote, too, as I wrote most of the Shadowrun additions by now and I'm quite familiar with the setting by now.
Of course I don't mind if you want to write one of those, just tell me.
Otherwise there are only a few leaders that I am familiar with (I mean, it's no problem to base a leader entirely on researched material, either)

And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm glad to present you the first King of England, the Lord of Camelot, the Grand Master of the Knights of the Round Table, the One and Future King, a man who pulled a sword out of a stone: King Arthur.
Enjoy!

Spoiler :

ARTHUR PENDRAGON (480-537 AD)
King of England, Lord of Camelot, Grand Master of the Knights of the Round Table

Today the legendary King Arthur is known as the founder of the first unified Kingdom of England and one of the most influential rulers of his era. Arthur sprang from a lineage of Roman heroes that was founded by the 2nd or 3rd century Roman military commander Lucius Artorius Castus. For generations all firstborn male descendants of Castus were named Artorius and manned the Hadrian's Wall against the Woads, a Celtic people who resisted Roman rule. Such as Artorius Ambrosius Aurelianus Castus, the son of a Roman father and a Celtic mother, who was a popular Roman cavalry officer known for leading an elite force of Sarmatian auxiliary cavalry in Britain. Furthermore, Artorius earned the name Caput Draconis ("Head of the Dragon") for his many successful battles. In 467 AD, at the close of the Roman occupation, Artorius and his men were dispatched on a final and possibly suicidal mission by Bishop Germanus in the freezing winter to rescue the important Roman family of Marius Honorius from impending capture by the invading Saxons, led by their chief Cerdic and his son Cynric. The knights were charged with this rescue because Rome was withdrawing from Britain, now considered an indefensible outpost.

Along the journey, Artorius established contact the Woad woman Gwenhwyfar and Myrddin Wyllt, a Welsh druid, prophet and - under the pseudonym Lailoken - renown madman. But after the death of Marius Hanorius, Artorius' troops were left by Rome to the mercy of the Saxons and thus were forced to form an alliance with the Woads to fight the Saxons, eventually defeating Cerdic's army in the First Battle of Mons Badonicus (467 AD) at modern-day Bath, Somerset. With the defeat of the Saxons and the retreat of the Romans, Artorius united the remaining Roman people of Britannia and the Woads to one people, the Britons, and founded the Kingdom of Albion under the rule of the House of Caput Draconis, better known as House Pendragon. This new unity was underlined by Artorius' marriage with Gwenhwyfar.

But Artorius would not be able to enjoy his new kingdom, as he died only a short time after its formation. He was succeeded by his younger Roman half-brother Uther. During the rule of Uther - who, unlike Artorius, was a faithful, conservative Christian living in the security of Rome for most of his previous life - magic was outlawed and many creatures, such as giants, dragons, goblins, ogres and fairies, were hunted down and banished from Albion. In 480 Uther, disguised as his enemy Gorlois by Myrddin's magic - he decided that the ban of magic would not affect the king - slept with Gorlois' wife Ignera at Tintagel who then gave life to a son who - according to the Uther's family tradition - was named Arthur.

As the son of the kingdom's most powerful man, in his youth Arthur was known as an arrogant bully, raised by Sir Enric. His manservant was Myrddin's son Merlin, who suffered from a rare version of Button’s Syndrome: his mind aged backwards and thus he remembered the future but did not know what happened in the past. In 495 King Uther Pendragon died followed by a succession crisis as nobody regarded the fifteen-year-old prince as capable of ruling an entire kingdom. But Arthur met the mysterious Lady of the Lake who guided him to the Sword in the Stone - Excalibur, a powerful weapon enchanted by Merlin and the last English dragon, inspired by the Witchblade. With the might and reputation of Excalibur Arthur managed to ascend the throne and become the rightful King of Albion - which he renamed England.

As his acid test as king Arthur led the English army to defend Britain - like his uncle Artorius - against the invading Saxons. At first the situation seemed grave until Arthur remembered the Sarmatian knights of Artorius which inspired him to establish an order of knights - the Knights of the Round Table, named after the table at the Pendragon seat of power, Camelot, around which Arthur and his Knights congregated. During the course of history there were dozens of knights of many different nationalities, such as the Cornish SIr Tristan, the Frankish Sir Galahad, the Gaelic Sir Bors, the Welsh Sir Gawain, the Saracen Palamedes, Sir Lancelot, Sir Mordred and Arthur's foster brother, Sir Kay. At about the same time, Arthur met with Guinevere, the daughter of King Leodegrance of Carmelide - although some historians claim that Guinevere actually was related to Artorius' wife, Gwenhwyfar. Arthur and Guinevere fell in love and married, giving England a queen – even though Guinevere had an affair with Sir Lancelot at the same time. Thanks to the military might of the Knights, the English armies led by Arthur eventually defeated the invading Saxons in the Second Battle of Mons Badonicus (517 AD).

The Invasion of the Saxons was the first and probably one of the hardest test in the reign of King Arthur. Following the Saxons' defeat, the Knights of the Round Table defended England from monsters such as giants, witches, goblins, dogheads, fairies and dragons - all of these creatures wanted to take revenge for their slaughter during the rule of King Uther. Ironically the most terrifying leader of the guerrilla war of these uprising creatures was Arthur's very own half-sister - the fairy-blooded sorceress Morgana (also known as Morrigan or Morgan le Fay). Nevertheless, during Arthur's rule the might of England grew and its influence spread all over the British Isles - for instance, Cornwall was annexed after Arthur aided King Culhwch in his battle against a monstrous boar - and even spread over the English Channel, expanding the English territory to Scandinavia and what today is France.

For modern day historians Arthurian England is a mystery. While the kingdom clearly was a nation of the early Dark Ages - period of cultural decline that took place in Western Europe following the downfall of the Roman Empire - nevertheless it shows cultural and technological levels similar to the High Middle Ages. Not only were medieval strongholds and weaponry part of Arthurian every day life, traditionally medieval themes such as feudalism and chivalry were common as well. This was the reason why early attempts to classify King Arthur under a specific age failed
dramatically, as researches were confused by the exceptionally advanced level of science and culture. Only in the last decade or so experts were able to explain this unusual irregularity: the scientific and sociological level was influenced by Hank Morgan (known as Sir Morgan of Connet-tickut), a time traveling member of King Arthur's court hailing from the 19th century. Morgan's futuristic knowledge and Christian preachings proved useful and triggered the rapid progress of the Arthurian world. Furthermore, the memories of Merlin - now Arthur's chief adviser - reached hundreds of years into the future which was another valuable source of knowledge and technology.

At some point in history the story of the Holy Grail got around in England and attracted the attention of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Arthur and the Knights split up and searched for the Grail individually. In the years to come the Knights had to face many diverse dangers such as giants, opposing Frenchmen, the dreaded Knights who say Ni, Tim the Enchanter, the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog and, eventually, the Grail castle's guardian - the Fisher King. Some of the Knights were successful - such as Galahad, Bors and Perceval - while others - such as Lancelot - failed.

But during the absence of the Knights Arthur himself was left unguarded and thus a dark chapter of Arthurian England began. When Arthur left England to battle Lancelot because of his affair with Guinevere he installed Mordred - illegitimate son of Arthur and his half-sister Morgause - governor of Camelot. Upon Arthur's return Mordred had formed an alliance with his aunt Morgana and here hordes of giants, fairies and other magical creatures. Manipulated by Morgana Mordred had betrayed Arthur and turned into an usurper challenging Arthur's authority. This led to the Battle of Camlann between the English knights and army under Arthur and an army consisting of traitors and Morgana's hordes led by Mordred. This would be a fateful day and at the end of the battle both armies were completely wiped out - except for seven survivors on Arthur's side as well as the mortally wounded king himself. Following his last wish, Arthur was laid to his final rest in Avalon, the "Isle of the Blessed" ruled by the Lady of the Lake.

The death of King Arthur was a cruel stroke of fate for the entire Kingdom. With their Grand Master dead, the Knights of the Round Table disbanded and without the Knights' authority Arthurian age ended. Without an heir the Kingdom of England plunged into anarchy; too large to be governed by an ordinary man it broke apart and turned into several realms: Ireland returned to its magical roots becoming the territory of Hibernia inhabited mostly by Elves, Leprechauns, Formorians and Celtic tribes. English land in continental Europe was conquered and eventually divided by invading Germanic tribes such as the Franks. The Scandinavian colonies were reclaimed by the Aesir, the Viking gods, and absorbed into the Norse realm of Midgard. And the English heartland - once more called Albion - itself was split up between a handful of human peoples such as the the Britons, the Scots, the Welsh and the Cornish. For years these human nations were haunted by the ravaging hordes of Morgana's monsters until in 539 the English knight Constantine became King Constantine III of Britain by defeating Morgan le Fay and uniting the peoples of Albion once again and returning hope for a better future to the British Isles. And although Constantine was by far not as glorious a leader as Arthur had been, he managed to restore order and as one of his first acts as a king he traveled to Avalon and constructed a massive gravestone reading:
"Here Lies Arthur, The Once and Future King".

Spoiler :

*Arthurian Legend - Arthur, Merlin, Guinevere, Camelot, Knights of the Round Table, Excalibur, Morgana, Uther, House Pendragon, Avalon
*King Arthur - Artorius Ambrosius Aurelianus Castus, Myrddin the druid, Gwenhwyfar, the Woads, Sarmatian knights
*Welsh legend of Myrddin Wyllt - Myrddin Wyllt
*Lailoken
*Merlin - Arthur's and Merlin's youth, anti-magic rule of Uther, the last English dragon
*The Once And Future King - Merlin's midn aging backwards, Sir Enric, Sir Kay
*The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Button’s Syndrome
*Witchblade
*Mabinogion - Culhwch
*Matter of Britain - England ruling over continental Europe, the Grail Quest
*A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Hank Morgan
*Holy Grail legend - quest for the Holy Grail, the Fisher King
*Monty Python and the Holy Grail -Knights who say Ni, Tim the Enchanter, Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
*Dark Age of Camelot - Albion, Hibernia, Midgard
*Spirit of Excalibur - Constantine III

Speaking of Count von Doom...

Spoiler :
VICTOR VON DOOM (ca. 1920 – 2099)
Absolute Monarch of Latveria

Victor von Doom, like many leaders of the ex-Freedo-Moronikan Empire, is a complex figure. His face is unknown to the world, as is the true form of the man. His rule over Latveria is sometimes seen as just and caring, but just as often as an iron-fisted dictatorship. Considered a “supervillain” by some and a hero by others, Doom is nothing if not a prominent figure.

Ethnically, Doom is entirely of Romani descent, the child of two gypsies, though some trace his lineage to the 17th Century monarch, Count Otto von Doom. We can assume, from contemporary figures, he was born near modern Doomstadt shortly after the end of World War I. His mother, who dabbled in witchcraft, sold her soul to the demon Mephistopheles early in his life; his father died not long after of exposure, leaving young Victor an orphan. He was raised by a family friend, named Boris, and began to romance his granddaughter Valeria. Throughout his life he would pursue her, but the two never wed.

Doom’s skill cannot be overstated. From an early age he was adept in sorcery, using his mother’s tools to train himself, vowing to save her from the demon that imprisoned her. During his teenage years, he became a skilled scientist, designing basic AI units and other contraptions. Though he had no formal education, his genius garnered the attention of Empire State University in the United States, and he was given a full scholarship.

Upon arrival, he met with Reed Richards, a young, but brilliant, scientist. Certain of his own superior intellect, he refused Richards’ request to share a dormitory, sparking a rivalry that would last throughout his college career and beyond. Unfortunately, his pride was his downfall, and despite warnings from his rival, Doom activated an untested machine. The results were catastrophic – the experiment created a massive explosion, scarring Doom for life. Disgraced, he abandoned his studies and traveled abroad.

Eventually he found his way to the ancient land of Shambhala, meeting with the immortal Aged Genghis. He instructed Doom to seek out an order of monks; upon finding them, he requested the order craft him a suit of armor, as well as his now-infamous steel mask. He spent some time with these monks, honing his mystic skills – some believe he learned the secret of immortality there, explaining his unnatural longevity.

After leaving Shambhala, with no other destination, Doom found himself in his homeland of Latveria, ruled by King Vladimir Vassily Gonereo Tristian Mangegi Fortunov. There he found the Roma harshly mistreated; hoping to right this wrong, he quickly began to build an army – literally. Using spare steel leftover from the First World War, Doom assembled his first “Doombots.” Fashioned after his mask and armor, the machines easily outmatched King Vladimir’s meager forces, and Doom installed himself as king.

Despite renaming the capital from Haasenstadt to Doomstadt, Doom had no desire for glory, installing a puppet prime minister to act as a diplomat. For decades, few knew of Latveria’s true ruler, and Victor von Doom became an obscure figure in the field of science. Doom’s rise to power was shortly before World War II; Latveria has no real role in the war, creating an uneasy alliance with neighboring Symkaria and hiring the mercenary team Wild Pack to combat any German soldiers that dared enter his country.

Throughout the 1950s, Doom remained quiet, perfecting his Doombots and searching for new ways to return his mother to the mortal world. It was not until July 1962 that he made his first public appearance; a year before, his old rival Reed Richards had become one of the first men in space – and, by freak accident, gained amazing powers. Forming a new team of "superheroes" known as the Fantastic Four, Richards and his friends began to fight crime in New York City. Perhaps out of jealousy, Doom kidnapped Susan Storm, luring the team into doing his bidding; they bested him easily, but Doom soon returned to do battle again.

For the next twenty years, Dr. Doom (as he now called himself, despite never receiving his doctorate) would try time and time again to conquer the Fantastic Four; despite his best efforts, he would never succeed. Via time travel, elaborate death traps, and outright declarations of war, the dictator would prove to be a constant thorn in Reed Richards’ side – yet, due to his diplomatic immunity, they could do nothing to stop him.

At home in Latveria, however, things were not so simple. In 1970, Prince Rudolfo, son of the long-deposed King Vladimir, returned to reclaim the throne; Doom was narrowly able to stop him. With the Fantastic Four constantly escaping his grip, Doom turned his eye to a loftier goal - world domination. Through purely military means, Doom would attempt to conquer various nations, though the various heroes of the world would generally stop him. To circumvent this, at one point, Doom staged a massive conspiracy, stealing the powers of the Norse God Odin and using them to reshape the world in his image; unfortunately, as always, he was thwarted by an alliance of superheroes.

Having failed on many fronts, Doom would try more creative approaches to power grabs, once stealing the "Power Cosmic" from Silver Surfer, a Herald of Galactus. He would also strike up uneasy alliance with other villainous figures and world leaders, once bending the Atlantean King Namor, and by extension the entire Atlantean Empire, to his will. Yet, as he entered into his sixties, Doom began to ponder the future of his nation. Adopting the young Latverian boy Kristoff Vernard (renamed Kristoff von Doom) as his own son, Doom began to groom him as his successor.

At this time, Doom again attempted to reclaim his mother from the netherworld, but despite the aid of Reed Richards’ son, Franklin, an incredibly powerful psychic, he was unable to rescue her. Doom admitted his own failure – his Doombots found this difficult to believe, and assumed Kristoff, with a demeanor much like his father, was the true Doom. For a brief period, Kristoff was installed as ruler of Latveria. It is unclear when Victor reclaimed the throne, but he undoubtedly returned to power soon after.

The "Crisis on Infinite Earths" in 1986, many assumed, would allow Doom to conquer the planet – however, the period was fairly quiet in Latveria. Some assume that Doom was involved in the spatial collapse, and that one of his Doombots had taken control in his absence, or that Kristoff still held the throne, and acted as a far more moderate ruler. For whatever reason, Latveria made no large-scale attempts at world domination until the 21st Century, allowing the planet to breathe a sigh of relief.

In 2007, a few years after the Multiversal Reconstruction, Doom would unleash a biological attack on New York City; finding evidence of his involvement, a S.H.I.E.L.D. tribunal was able to find him guilt of crimes against humanity, imprisoning him for the first time in history. Not long after, though, he found himself free, and took to the task of rebuilding his nation and expanding his power.

This period was short lived; less than fifteen years later, due to unknown circumstances, Doom emerged "more machine than man," and entered a vicious battle with his old rivals, the Fantastic Four. In the crossfire, Richards’ two children were killed, and the Four were disbanded. His new appearance gave credence to the theory that the old Doom had long since passed, and a Doombot had taken the mantle. At this point, Doom disappeared from Earth – rumors state he entered the Negative Zone, in an attempt to conquer another universe.

For over fifty years, Latveria remained fragile, with no government able to remain in power for any stretch of time. Some under the name Doom ruled – one created a fruitful alliance with the destroyed Atlantis, allowing refugees into Latveria, but others were far less successful. But in the year 2099, the "true" Doom yet again returned, looking even further removed from his earlier visage. He quickly overthrew the current ruler Tyger Wylde, and formed with a group of supporters known as the "Zefiro," composed of Roma from the same region as his parents. He moved to conquer the neighboring nation of Myridia, and, seeing the world devastated by the nuclear attacks of World War III, crossed the Atlantic Ocean to capture large stretches of the former United States.

The last recorded appearance of Doom was later that year, during the invasion of aliens known as the Phalanx. In what became known as the Phalanx War, the hive sent ships of troops to Earth, causing the planet to unite against them. Giving his life to protect his people, Doom apparently died by their hands, naming the Mutant Nostromo as heir to the Latverian throne. However, it cannot be certain is this was truly Doom’s death – or whether it was Doom at all. Kristoff, a Doombot, or Victor von Doom himself, granted immortality by some mystic means; it’s impossible to know exactly when Doom is Doom. Though possible he cheated death yet again, Doom has yet to reappear – perhaps, for the best.

Spoiler :
* Marvel Comics (Dr. Doom, Marvel 1602 – Count Otto von Doom
* Fantastic Four #5 (July 1962) – Kidnaps Fantastic Four
* Astonishing Tales #1-#3 (August 1970 – December 1970) – Prince Rudolfo
* Marvel: Ultimate Alliance – Stealing Odin’s Power
* Fantastic Four #57 (December 1966) – Stealing Silver Surfer’s Power
* DC Comics – Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis
* Fantastic Four: The End – Machine Doom, Negative Zone
* Doom 2099 – Doom 2099, Tyger Wylde, Zefiro, Myridia, the Phalanx War, Nostromo
Shambhala takes the place of Tibet.

Now, after doing the research for this... I think I have a pretty good layout of our comic book problem.

From the 1930s-1986, superheroes exist exactly as they appear in the comics, dates and all. Their first appearance in the real world is their first comic appearance and all that. Now, this means some heroes will live into their 80s - explain it away with inhuman longetivity (Superman, Namor), well-trained bodies (Batman), or just deus ex machima (Captain America). The Crisis on Infinite Earths hits the "reset" button, a lot of heroes disappear, and those that remain now take 1986 as their starting point. Superman is now roughly 30 again, Peter Parker is reborn in his teens, so on, so forth. In the Infinite Crisis, a majority of heroes pop back, either continuing from '86 or using 2005 as their starting point. But 1938-86 is the "Golden Age" of Superheroism.

As for how Doom starts in 1920... well, I lined him up with Reed Richards. Richards enters college at the age of 14, continues until 22, starts working on his space program at 25, and returns from space in 1961. Now, we know he's a WWII veteran, fighting in France, and his only "free' period is from 22-25; so, we can assume he fought from 1942-1945, and thus, was born in 1920. This means he was 41 at the time of the space mission; young enough to be an astronaut, old enough to have grey hair. So, since he and Doom met in college, the two were likely about the same age - Richards was 19 at the time, and I would bet Doom a bit old. So, shortly after WWI.

*wipes brow*

I think that works, at least.

And, in more related news, good job on Gloriana. Not a thing I can see missing.

...and also on King Arthur, I assume, though I've yet to read it as it was posted while I was writing this message. :lol: Taking Huitzilopochtli would be fine, of course. Those long Aztec names just give me headaches.

EDIT: The one thing I can think to add is a mention of time travel; I already have Arthur and Macbeth meeting in the 20th Century (as mentioned in Gargoyles), so, some throwaway reference to temporal disturbance sucking him away for a brief period would be nice.

Well written, but it doesn't really fit with what I had in mind.

In Wanted, superheroes are essentially wiped from existence by the supervillains. So Doom could survive, but the Fantastic Four would be gone. I also thought that in 2005 with the Infinite Crisis, the supervillains would be wiped out, essentially cleaning the comic book slate to make way for the combo sci-fi and newly magical world of the next century.

So Doom's bio might work for a different universe, but maybe not this one.

Hmm... well, let's see, in Fantastic Four: The End, Doom pretty much conquers the Fantastic Four and gets sucked into the Negative Zone forever. So, I could probably just cut it off there, if you're willing to let the Fantastic Four last into the 21st Century. To be honest, most of the stuff after the 80s gets confusing and once you get into the 2099 series it gets REALLY weird, so, there's no major loss.

Of course, the reference to Doom in the Atlantean Pedia would need to be removed, as well. But that's just a throwaway so it should be fine.

A shame, because this is a really great pedia.
Anyway, I'm sure we can solve that problem if we cut out the 14th and the 15th paragraph and replace it with a text describing Doom joining forces with other villains in order to finally defeat his archenemies. After that he gets sucked into the Negative Zone. During the course of the 21st century the supervillains are divided as they choose different sides during the upcoming WW III. While the world's powers battle each other at the same time there is an underground battle between the villains, leading to the end of supervillain rule when the world is nuked away. In 2099 - 22 years after the nuclear holocaust - Doom (or somebody/something looking like Doom) returns. At this point both superheroes and supervillains are as good as extinct and Doom is now one of the world's most powerful beings. Followed by the last two paragraphs.
So, what do you think?

For figures like Thor, yeah, I picture him an amalgmation of the mythical and pop culture character; not just the Norse and Marvel versions, but video games and novels and everything in between. It'll be tough to keep that one concise, since he's such an iconic figure.

Alright, updated Doom Pedia. I wasn't ENTIRELY sure whether or not to drop the 2099 bit; on one hand, it doesn't contradict anything per se, but on the other, it carries a lot of baggage with it and stretches an already pretty long Pedia even further. So, I got rid of it, and ended things in 2007.

Spoiler :
VICTOR VON DOOM (ca. 1920 – 2007)
Absolute Monarch of Latveria

Victor von Doom, like many leaders of the ex-Freedo-Moronikan Empire, is a complex figure. His face is unknown to the world, as is the true form of the man. His rule over Latveria is sometimes seen as just and caring, but just as often as an iron-fisted dictatorship. Considered a “supervillain” by some and a hero by others, Doom is nothing if not a prominent figure.

Ethnically, Doom is entirely of Romani descent, the child of two gypsies, though some trace his lineage to the 17th Century monarch, Count Otto von Doom. We can assume, from contemporary figures, he was born near modern Doomstadt shortly after the end of World War I. His mother, who dabbled in witchcraft, sold her soul to the demon Mephistopheles early in his life; his father died not long after of exposure, leaving young Victor an orphan. He was raised by a family friend, named Boris, and began to romance his granddaughter Valeria. Throughout his life he would pursue her, but the two never wed.

Doom’s skill cannot be overstated. From an early age he was adept in sorcery, using his mother’s tools to train himself, vowing to save her from the demon that imprisoned her. During his teenage years, he became a skilled scientist, designing basic AI units and other contraptions. Though he had no formal education, his genius garnered the attention of Empire State University in the United States, and he was given a full scholarship.

Upon arrival, he met with Reed Richards, a young, but brilliant, scientist. Certain of his own superior intellect, he refused Richards’ request to share a dormitory, sparking a rivalry that would last throughout his college career and beyond. Unfortunately, his pride was his downfall, and despite warnings from his rival, Doom activated an untested machine. The results were catastrophic – the experiment created a massive explosion, scarring Doom for life. Disgraced, he abandoned his studies and traveled abroad.

Eventually he found his way to the ancient land of Shambhala, meeting with the immortal Aged Genghis. He instructed Doom to seek out an order of monks; upon finding them, he requested the order craft him a suit of armor, as well as his now-infamous steel mask. He spent some time with these monks, honing his mystic skills – some believe he learned the secret of immortality there, explaining his unnatural longevity.

After leaving Shambhala, with no other destination, Doom found himself in his homeland of Latveria, ruled by King Vladimir Vassily Gonereo Tristian Mangegi Fortunov. There he found the Roma harshly mistreated; hoping to right this wrong, he quickly began to build an army – literally. Using spare steel leftover from the First World War, Doom assembled his first “Doombots.” Fashioned after his mask and armor, the machines easily outmatched King Vladimir’s meager forces, and Doom installed himself as king.

Despite renaming the capital from Haasenstadt to Doomstadt, Doom had no desire for glory, installing a puppet prime minister to act as a diplomat. For decades, few knew of Latveria’s true ruler, and Victor von Doom became an obscure figure in the field of science. Doom’s rise to power was shortly before World War II; Latveria has no real role in the war, creating an uneasy alliance with neighboring Symkaria and hiring the mercenary team Wild Pack to combat any German soldiers that dared enter his country.

Throughout the 1950s, Doom remained quiet, perfecting his Doombots and searching for new ways to return his mother to the mortal world. It was not until July 1962 that he made his first public appearance; a year before, his old rival Reed Richards had become one of the first men in space – and, by freak accident, gained amazing powers. Forming a new team of "superheroes" known as the Fantastic Four, Richards and his friends began to fight crime in New York City. Perhaps out of jealousy, Doom kidnapped Susan Storm, luring the team into doing his bidding; they bested him easily, but Doom soon returned to do battle again.

For the next twenty years, Dr. Doom (as he now called himself, despite never receiving his doctorate) would try time and time again to conquer the Fantastic Four; despite his best efforts, he would never succeed. Via time travel, elaborate death traps, and outright declarations of war, the dictator would prove to be a constant thorn in Reed Richards’ side – yet, due to his diplomatic immunity, they could do nothing to stop him.

At home in Latveria, however, things were not so simple. In 1970, Prince Rudolfo, son of the long-deposed King Vladimir, returned to reclaim the throne; Doom was narrowly able to stop him. With the Fantastic Four constantly escaping his grip, Doom turned his eye to a loftier goal - world domination. Through purely military means, Doom would attempt to conquer various nations, though the various heroes of the world would generally stop him. To circumvent this, at one point, Doom staged a massive conspiracy, stealing the powers of the Norse God Odin and using them to reshape the world in his image; unfortunately, as always, he was thwarted by an alliance of superheroes.

Having failed on many fronts, Doom would try more creative approaches to power grabs, once stealing the "Power Cosmic" from Silver Surfer, a Herald of Galactus. He would also strike up uneasy alliance with other villainous figures and world leaders, once bending the Atlantean King Namor, and by extension the entire Atlantean Empire, to his will. Yet, as he entered into his sixties, Doom began to ponder the future of his nation. Adopting the young Latverian boy Kristoff Vernard (renamed Kristoff von Doom) as his own son, Doom began to groom him as his successor.

At this time, Doom again attempted to reclaim his mother from the netherworld, but despite the aid of Reed Richards’ son, Franklin, an incredibly powerful psychic, he was unable to rescue her. Doom admitted his own failure – his Doombots found this difficult to believe, and assumed Kristoff, with a demeanor much like his father, was the true Doom. For a brief period, Kristoff was installed as ruler of Latveria. It is unclear when Victor reclaimed the throne, but he undoubtedly returned to power soon after.

During the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" of 1986, Doom joined with many other villains of the age – long-time compatriots, rivals, and even enemies – to wage an all-out war with the heroes of Earth. He had many debts to repay, and had made many foes. Within a year, most were wiped from existence either by his own hand or by the multiversal collapse. Much to his chagrin, however, the Fantastic Four were able to escape his grasp, and after little more than a year, they quietly entered retirement.

In this new world, many thought Latveria would easily conquer the planet. However, the period was relatively peaceful in the region. Some assumed that Doom was involved in the spatial collapse, and that one of his Doombots had taken control in his absence. Others believed, that Kristoff still held the throne, and acted as a far more moderate ruler. A select few thought that Doom had left our timeline and begun to traverse history. For whatever reason, Latveria made no large-scale attempts at world domination for the remainder of the century, allowing the planet to breathe a sigh of relief.

After twenty years, this peace came to an abrupt end. In 2007, after the second "Infinite Crisis," Doom returned, far removed from his pervious form. More machine than man, he somehow discovered the location of the Fantastic Four, and lead a vicious attack on the team. In the melee, Franklin and Valeria Richards – children of Reed Richards – were killed, and the aftermath caused the team to splinter. Not long after, a new situation emerged, and the four would re-unite again; Doom followed suit. This time, however, he was defeated, and fled to the Negative Zone. It assumed Latveria's tyrant was killed shortly after – however, most agree that for a man like Doom, death is only an obstacle.

Sources:
Spoiler :
* Marvel Comics (Dr. Doom, Latveria, Kristoff Vernard) – Dr. Doom, Latveria, Origin Story, Mephistopheles, Reed Richards, Aged Genghis, King Vladimir, Doombots, Symkaria, Wild Pack, Namor, Kristoff Vernard
* Marvel 1602 – Count Otto von Doom
* Fantastic Four #5 (July 1962) – Kidnaps Fantastic Four
* Astonishing Tales #1-#3 (August 1970 – December 1970) – Prince Rudolfo
* Marvel: Ultimate Alliance – Stealing Odin’s Power
* Fantastic Four #57 (December 1966) – Stealing Silver Surfer’s Power
* DC Comics – Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis
* Fantastic Four #307 (October 1987) – Fantastic Four Retire
* Fantastic Four: The End – Machine Doom, Negative Zone
I lucked out with the Fantastic Four; in 1987 Reed and Sue were briefly retired due to stress and such, so, I upped it to the entire team, and made it mostly permanent.

I also threw together an entry for Louis XVI. I think it works pretty well; I made it as much about Mel Brooks than I did Louis, though, for better or for worse.

Spoiler :
LOUIS XVI (August 23rd, 1754 – January 21st, 1793)
King of France – and then some!

The last king of France, Louis XVI is considered among the most decadent rulers in world history. Sexually promiscuous, violently oppressive to his subjects, and entirely unconcerned with matters of state, his lackadaisical rule led to the French Revolution of 1789, which, in turn, sparked revolutions across Europe.

Like most monarchs of the age, Louis could trace his lineage back centuries, and even further. His earliest roots can be traced to the Biblical Moses and other great leaders, as well as relative failures, such as the Roman Comicus. Some, such as Tomas de Torquemada, were inspirations for Louis, who used tortures not unlike those of the Spanish Inquisition on his own peasantry. However, many of his ancestors, such as the English Rabbi Tuckman and other Jewish figures, were downplayed by the heavily Catholic and anti-British French nobles.

Another interesting fact of Louis' court was a plague of vampirism that pervaded his rule. Louis' genetic predisposition, perhaps due to his ancestral ties to Hungarian nobility, a region plagued by neighboring Transylvanians, may have been a cause, or perhaps his wife, the Archduchess of Osterlich. However, he was able to combat this, top French scientists inventing a cure for vampirism that would be used for centuries. However, one of his courtesans, Coraline Duvall, would remain as such, along with a small clan of other vampiric nobles who escaped the future revolution.

Louis’ early life was typical of 18th Century monarchs, pampered and protected from the abject poverty of the peasant class. At the age of sixteen, he was wed to the young Marie Antoinette, whose out-of-touch nature is often cited as a cause of the revolution. While initially wary of marriage, Antoinette was able to seduce the heir, and their marriage was, for the most part, happy. The two took the throne as king and queen in 1774.

At time of ascension, the government was heavily in debt; despite this, Louis spent money on extravagant clothes and jewelry, and events such as the "Affair of the Necklace" only further discredited the king and queen. He gained a brief period of popularity in his support of the American Revolution, and his soldiers aided in the defeat of the British forces. Unfortunately, the American ideals soon crossed the Atlantic, and revolutionary thoughts began to simmer; such horrors as the 120 Days of Sodom only furthered the peasantry's ire, offering proof of the corrupt nobility.

In 1789, the pot came to a boil. The people of France saw Louis XVI as a bumbling ****old and his wife as a promiscuous idiot; when told the people of France were starving, Marie was quoted as saying "let them eat cake." Even more than usual, the court at Versailles did nothing to address the problems of the peasantry, instead focusing entirely on exchanging witty barbs. Revolutionaries such as Madame Defarge and Joseph Balsamo organized the masses, and the French Revolution began with the Storming of the Bastille on July 14th, 1789. Many nobles would be caught up in the storms of revolution, along with many relatively innocent individuals, such as Charles Darnay.

A few days before, however, Louis was warned by his chief advisor Count de Monet to flee his palace and go into hiding. After finishing a game of human chess, he chose Jacques, "le Garcon de Pisse," to impersonate him, and fled the city with Marie. Before leaving, however, he promised to free the noblewoman Mademoiselle Rimbaud’s father in exchange for sexual favors. That night, she entered his room, only to meet Jacques in his place. At that moment, the peasants stormed his castle and took the faux-king captive.

The next morning, Jacques, Rimbaud, and her father were all slated for execution by guillotine; a sudden miracle saved their lives, and the three escaped to the countryside for a brief period. In 1792, however, Louis was recaptured – whether this was the true king or still Jacques in disguise is unknown. Along with Marie (or, perhaps, Rimbaud), the two spent roughly three years imprisoned by the revolutionary government.

In this period, Marie carried on a one-sided affair with a young man by the name of Maurice Lindsey; Lindsey’s infatuation with the queen accidentally implicated him in a Royalist plot to rescue the monarchs and re-install them, under the command of the mysterious Knight of Maison-Rouge. Unfortunately he, along with other would-be saviors, such as the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel, was unable to carry out the conspiracy in time – Louis and Marie were executed by on Charles-Henri Sanson January 21st, 1793. The royal treasury was raided and spread throughout France, most famously the Heart of the Ocean.

Though a majority of the French nobility was killed in the chaos of the French Revolution, yet many would survive, including some children (both legitimate and otherwise) of Louis himself. Most would cross the Atlantic to America, though others would remain in Europe; Abraham van Helsing could trace his lineage back to the French courts, slaying the same vampires that once plagued his ancestors.

In America, his descendents would find great success, becoming doctors, powerful businessmen, and in the case of William J. LePetomane, the President of the United States. Of all of them, perhaps, Mel Funn is the most interesting. An acclaimed director, he would produce many award-wining films, including the screen adaptation of Springtime for Hynkel and a number of historical epics. Funn would eventually create History of the World, Part 1, showing his ancestor’s fall from grace – a fitting legacy for the last King of France.

Sources:
Spoiler :
* History of the World, Part I – Louis XVI (Mel Brooks), Moses, Comicus, Tomas de Torquemada, Jacques, Rimbaud
* Robin Hood: Men in Tights – Rabbi Tuckman
* Moonlight – Vampire Louis, Cure for Vampirism, Coraline Duvall
* Duck Soup – Osterlich
* Marie Antoinette (2006) – Seduction of Louis
* The Affair of the Necklace – The Affair of the Necklace
* 120 Days of Sodom
* Start the Revolution Without Me – Antoinette as Promiscuous
* Ridicule – Witty Barbs in the French Courts
* Mémoires d’un Médecin – Joseph Balsamo
* A Tale of Two Cities – Madame Defarge, Charles Darnay
* Le Chevalier de Maison-Rouge – Maurice Lindsey, the Knight of Maison-Rouge
* The Scarlet Pimpernel – The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel
* Titanic – Heart of the Ocean
* Dracula: Dead and Loving It – Van Helsing (Mel Brooks)
* High Anxiety – Dr. Richard H. Thorndyke
* Life Stinks – Goddard Bolt, CEO of Bolt Enterprises
* Blazing Saddles – William J. LePetomane
* The Producers – Springtime for Hitler/Hynkel
* Silent Movie – Mel Funn
Since we were talking about the top-heavy America Pedia, I thought LePetomane would be a great choice for one of the many corrupt and, quite frankly, crappy Presidents of the Gilded Age. Blazing Saddles takes place in 1874, so I thought he would make a good replacement one of two Presidents. Either Rutherford B. Hayes (1877-1881), whose infamous "backroom deal" to earn the spot lost him much of the respect that he had earned as an honest politician; only, with LePetomane, he would have earned it for his steps in race relations. Kidna. OR, Grover Cleveland (1885-1889/1893-1897), whose bastard son almost cost him the race. LePetomane... would you be surprised to find he has an illegitimate child out there?

...I've certainly been busy lately, haven't I? Not done yet, though; next I intend to work on the Alliance with the Cyclopes, then, on to Rome. For the Cyclopes... I intend to write the Alliance itself almost as if it was a Civilization, while the Cyclops Unit will be more about the species in general and it's most famous members. That sound about right?

All good! I still need to see Silent Movie.

I loved all the Mel Brooks references, but I think there's room to add some more works about the French Revolution, say A Tale of Two Cities (Madame Defarge from the Brooks movie was the antagonist of the novel, but I'm sure a mention of Charles Darnay wouldn't hurt) and the Scarlet Pimpernel. Also, if the events of 120 Days of Sodom became public, it would certainly fan the flames of revolution.

I'm okay with LePetomane as a president. I'm not attached to any of the Gilded Age presidents, but I'm not sure about Hayes or Cleveland. The former may be too close to the original events to make a believable rise to power, and the latter may be a little generous to the guy to make him a two-termer. Would it be cruel to have him replace James A. Garfield? He seems like a big enough shlemiel to not last an entire year in office.

Looking forward to seeing the Cyclopes and Rome!

Added 'em. You know, while I obviously knew about A Tale of Two Cities, I honestly had no idea it was about the French Revolution and such. The title and the "best of times, worst of times" thing make a lot of sense, now...

Yeah, I could see LePetomane out in less than a year - he'd probably earn a LOT of enemies on the way up, so an assassination wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility. Really, he could fit any of those Presidents; not many of them are too important in the long run.

Honestly, johnny, I'm impressed. I mean, I would not have though about half the sources you put in Louis' pedia. Wow, great job once more!

Alright, I finally came around to watch Duck Soup and after some slight changes, here's Firefly!

Some explanations might be needed: as mentioned previously, Firelfy is based on the Austrofascist dictator Engelbert Dollfuss. Furthermore, I used the opportunity to fictionalize some (more or less) important Habsburgs from the last years of the K.u.K. Empire (as Freedonians seem to have English names (Firefly, Teasdale) I adjusted the Habsburgs' names with their English counterparts)
Franz Joseph von Habsburg is now Francis Teasdale, Franz Ferdinand (the crown prince assassinated in Sarajevo) is now Alexander Ferdinand Teasdale and Karl von Habsburg (the last Emperor) is now Charles Teasdale. I merged Maria Annunziata of the Two Sicilies (Franz Ferdinand's mother) and Zita of Bourbon-Parma (Emperor Karl's wife) to create Maria Zita Teasdale (= Mrs. Teasdale) Thus, Alexander is the son of Mrs. Teasdale and Charles and the nephew of Francis.
Furthermore, I think that Trentino, Chicolini and Pinky deserve full names. Thus, I expanded their names with the names of their actors.
Firefly's middle name, Taras, derives from the Austrofascist Taras Borodajkewycz, mainly because I needed a name beginning with T.

*wipes brow*
So far so good. Am I thinking to much about this? Anyway, here comes the actual pedia!

Spoiler :

RUFUS TARAS FIREFLY (October 4, 1892 - July 25, 1934)

Federal Chancellor of Freedonia

On October 4, 1892, Rufus Taras Firefly was born in Texing in Lower Freedonia - at that point of history, Freedonia was the primary cosigner of the Freedo-Moronikan Pact of 1867 and thus was one of the leaders of the patchwork nation known as the Freedo-Moronikan Empire - as the child of the single and deeply religious mother Josepha Firefly and an unknown father. Rufus' middle name, Taras, was only recently discovered in the Freedonian archive of birth records, thus his middle name is largely unkown to the public and Firefly is traditionally called Rufus T. Firefly. Firefly was educated at a Roman Catholic seminary before deciding to study Law at the University of Freedonia and then Economics at the University of Berlin. During his study, Firefly developed an unusual talent: while he was a rhetorically gifted man, he used this talent mainly to provoke and to insult others - often people in positions of authority.

On July 23, 1914, the Freedonian crown prince Alexander Ferdinand Teasedale was shot by an agent of the Black Hand, a radical Serbian nationalist movement. The assassination of the Freedonian heir led to the declaration of war between Freedo-Moronika and Serbia by Freedo-Moronikan Emperor Francis Teasdale, which eventually triggered World War I. Upon hearing of the upcoming war, Rufus T. Firefly tried to enlist into the Freedo-Moronikan army but had considerable difficulty due to his short stature (approximatly 1.5 m) and his provoking attitude. Eventually he was accepted and sent to the Alpine Front. He was a highly decorated soldier and was briefly taken prisoner by the Italians as a POW in 1918. After the end of the war Firefly returned home - or at least to what remained of his home. Wracked by nationalism and the disastrous outcome of the war, the Freedo-Moronikan Empire was breaking apart, turning into quarreling nation states. With Freedonia reduced to a tiny nation, Firefly saw his chance to go into politics. He worked for the Agriculture ministry as secretary of the Farmers' Association and became director of the Lower Freedonian Chamber of Agriculture in 1927, and in 1930 as a member of the conservative Christian Social Party he met and befriended Maria Zita Teasdale. The elderly women had been an Italian aristocrat until her marriage with Charles Teasdale, the last Emperor of the Freedo-Moronikan Empire. Now, she was a widow whose son - the crown prince Alexander - had been assassinated. With the loss of her title of nobility after the downfall of the Freedonian monarchy she became known simply as Mrs. Teasdale. After the end of aristocracy, she was a wealthy but lonely woman who was somewhat fascinated by Firefly's unique behaviour.

The interwar years were a harsh time for the struggling nation of Freedonia. Its entire economy, infrastructure and traffic network were designed for a huge empire that now had ceased to exist and valueable territories such as Rubovia, Grand Fenwick, Latveria and Ruritania were a great loss for the damaged nation. Without their industrial power the Freedonian economy collapsed - a development which started when the government printed tremendous amounts of new money in order to pay the reparations that were demanded by the Entente Powers. Obviously, this caused inflation to skyrocket, which led to increasing numbers of unemployment. In this times of economical chaos the Freedonian people sought refuge in political parties which led to radicalization of politics. The Freedonian main parties - the right wing Christian Socialists and the left wing Social Democrats - used propaganda and private armies to fight each other in the streets of all major Freedonian cities. The situation escalated after a clash between those groups in the German-speaking town of Schattendorf which triggered a series of events leading to massive protests, a fire at the Freedonian Palace of Justice and, eventually, the resignation of the three Presidents of the Parliament which nearly plunged Freedonia into anarchy. Desperately trying to restore order, the Freedonian authorities were forced to request much-needed financial assistance from Mrs. Teasedale. She agreed to provide the money, but seeing how terribly the politicians had failed she insisted to dissolve the defunct parliament and replace it with a dictatorship. As the new leader of Freedonia she appointed her old friend, Rufus T. Firefly.

Firefly took up his post as the new Federal Chancellor of Freedonia in March 1933. While Firefly was the head of the state, due to his careless, self-centered attitude the real power was his personal assistant, Bob Roland. During the rule of Firefly (or Roland) the Freedonian economy was somewhat stabilized while the tense political situation was eased by the oppression of the Social Democrats, Communists and the Nazi party. Meanwhile, Firefly merged his Christian Social Party, the Nationalist paramilitary Home Guard and other nationalist and conservative groups to form the Patriotic Front party. Modern day historians call Firefly's arbitrary, reckless and sometimes even dangerously ignorant style of absolute, fascistic rule without clear ties to any political parties, Freedofascism. Firefly's fascistic reputation was even increased by his admiration for the Italien dictator Benzino Napaloni.

Firefly's rule disturbed plans of the neighboring nation of Syldavia which was attempting to use the financial crisis to take over the country as an act of revenge for Freedonia's privileged position during the time of the Freedo-Moronikan Empire. In order to push Freedonia back into chaos, King Muskar XII. of Syldavia order his aide-de-camp, Colonel Boris Kizera Jorgen, and the Syldavian ambassador Louis Trentino to dig up dirt on Firefly by sending their best spies - the brothers Pinky and Chicolini Marx. In November 1933, after failing to collect worthwhile information about Firefly, Chicolini and Pinky infiltrated the government and, by accident, Chicolini was appointed Secretary of War after Firefly met him on the street selling peanuts. Suspecting Syldavia's questionable motives, Firefly tried to provoke Ambassador Trentino to hit him, thus having a valid excuse to force him to leave the country. But after a series of personal insults exchanged between Firefly and Trentino, the plan backfired as Firefly slapped Trentino instead.

With the famous, melodramatic expression "This means war!", war was officially declared during the trial of Chicolini, who was arrested trying to steal Freedonia's war plans out of Mrs. Teasdale's possession. The Freedonian preparations for war went rather bad: most of the resources of the Ministry of War were spent on the hourly redecoration of the Freedonian base of operations and a great selection of different costumes for Firefly himself - including American Civil War outfits, a British palace guard uniform, a Boy Scout Scoutmaster's uniform, and even a coon-skin Davy Crockett cap. Furthermore, Firefly once more proofed his talent to confuse, offend and insult with propaganda slogans such as "Join the Army and see the Navy." (note that Freedonia has not a single mile of coastline) and his personal motto: "Remember, while you're out there risking life and limb through shot and shell, we'll be in here thinking what a sucker you are."After a an anarchic battle and general mayhem, Trentino was caught by the Freedonians and pelted with fruits until he - and thus Syldavia - surrendered. Notably, Firefly proceeded to hurl fruits until he found a better target - Mrs. Teasdale, who reportedly was singing the Freedonian national anthem.

But even with the war against Syldavia won, Firefly's end was near. The Syldavian Colonel Boris Jorgen struck an alliance with Adenoid Hynkel's Third Reich and on July 25, 1934, a group of German assassins guided by Chicolini and Pinky entered Freedonia and assassinated Firefly. Thanks to the intervention of Italian military, Freedonia managed to resist both Germany and Syldavia and remain its independence until the outbreak of World War II.

Today, Rufus T. Firefly is a well-known character. While he was by far no powerful, wise or especially successfull ruler, today he is remembered as one of the most coulorful leaders in history, widely reknown for his awkward characteristics, his wacky humor, his rethorical skill he used to insult and to offend, his characteristic cigar, the well-known "Mirror Incident" and his role during one of the weirdest wars in human history.

Spoiler :

*Duck Soup - Rufus T. Firefly, Freedonia, Bob Roland, House Teasedale, Pinky, Chicolini, Trentino, War against Syldavia
*You Nazty Spy! - Moronika
*A Rubovian Legend - Rubovia
*The Mouse That Roared - Grand Fenwick
*Marvel Comics - Latveria
*The Prisoner of Zenda - Ruritania
*The Adventures of Tintin - Syldavia, King Muskar XII, Colonel Jorgen
*The Great Dictator - Benzino Napaloni, Adenoid Hynkel
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ -
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ -

Not bad at all! I've never seen Duck Soup (or any Marx Brothers movies; I've been meaning to, honest!), nor do I know too much about Austrofascism, but it was an interesting read to say the lest.

Now, here's the Cyclopes. I've actually had this one done for a little while, but I've been busy, and just picked up a copy of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars, so, didn't get around to posting it.

First entry is for the Alliance, second entry is for the unit itself. They pretty much say the same thing, to be honest, with a few more details in one, a few less in the other, and vice versa on different subjects. I use the spelling Cyclopes (sigh-clough-pees) as opposed to Cyclopses (sigh-clop-sez); you can change it if you'd like, as both are accurate. I just prefer the former.

Spoiler :
ALLIANCE WITH THE CYCLOPES

STRATEGY: The Alliance with the Cyclopes allows the production of Cyclopes, powerful early units ideal for attacking cities.

BACKGROUND: Among the oldest races of Earth are the dreaded Cyclopes; large, brutish creatures, with a single eye on their foreheads. While they never formed a larger society, their influence in the history of the Mediterranean is indubitable, as is their tremendous power, both literally and figuratively.

The earliest Cyclopes were born of the Corinthian Earth Goddess, Gaia. Along with the Hecatonchires and the Titans, the three brothers became fixtures of the young Greece. Known as great smiths and powerful warriors, their brother, the deity known to the Greeks as Uranus, imprisoned the Cyclopes (and Hecatonchires) deep within the Earth, fearful of their strength. Here they remained for many years, as Uranus ruled the realm up above.

Though eventually his son, Kronos, would overthrow him, the Cyclopes and their brothers remained imprisoned. This continued until the rise of Zeus. After saving his siblings, Zeus freed the Cyclopes from their prison, earning their admiration and respect. In the ensuing conflict with the Titans, the Cyclopes remained firmly on the side of the new gods, forging their weapons and armor.

After Zeus became the new ruler of Olympus, the Cyclopes remained close allies with the gods; until, at least, the death of the god Asclepius. A well-respected deity, Zeus murdered Asclepius, sending his close friend Apollo into a blind rage. In his anger, the Cyclopes, among others, were nearly killed. Rather than remain, they chose to flee, settling on the island of modern Sicily along with the Hecatonchires.

For the next few centuries, the Cyclopes sired a race, intermixing with natives and, occasionally, gods. The other deities would also begat Cyclopes; Poseidon’s romanced with sea nymphs, inexplicably, resulted in a variety of one-eyed individuals. On the other side of the island, the Hecatonchires founded a race of giants known as the Laestrygonians, though over time, they became far less civilized than their ancestors, attacking ships and eating travelers.

After the Trojan War, the tides turned against the Cyclopean race. Though generally peaceful, the military commander Gargensis organized the Cyclopes, and along with his great-grandfather Poseidon, invaded Atlantis. Gargensis was killed in battle, alongside many of his people.

On Sicily, however, the pastoral Cyclopes remained, and met with what some would call an equally horrible fate. Roaming heroes, returning from the war with Troy, would often stop by the island. Some came in relative peace, such as Aeneas; others, like the Greek Odysseus, were less-than-ideal visitors. Polyphemus, son of Poseidon, was often the brunt of these visits; blinded and tricked by the hero, he swore vengeance, and his father came to his aid, leading to what is now known as "The Odyssey."

Yet, the gods could not save the Cyclopes forever. As Greece expanded, and later the cities of Rome and Carthage grew into empires, the Cyclopes stood no chance. Armed only with primitive weapons and having no organized military, Sicily soon became another island among many. While some Cyclopes would survive, they became hermits and solitary individuals; the Cyclopean race was eventually pushed from their homelands, and disappeared into history.

CYCLOPS

STRATEGY: The Cyclops is a powerful early unit, with high strength and a city attack bonus, making it ideal for sieges.

BACKGROUND: While often considered brutish, stupid, and monstrous, the Cyclopes were a powerful and respected race in their time, with a variety of individuals; like humans, some were warmongers, while others were peaceful and intelligent. Giant, powerful creatures, they are best known for their single eye – while many demons and beings across the globe, from the mountains of Scythia to the islands of Japan, have such features, the Cyclopes of the Mediterranean are most heavily associated with the word.

The first Cyclopes were the children of Gaia, known as Arges, Brontes, and Steropes. The three brothers, at first, were imprisoned by the Titan Uranus, but were eventually freed by his grandson, Zeus. The three were great blacksmiths, and to aid the gods in their war with the Titans, crafted many powerful weapons – the Thunderbolts of Zeus, the Trident of Poseidon, the Helm of Hades, and more. After the gods of Greece gained power, the three continued their trade, working either as independents or as assistants to Hephaestus.

Yet, after the death of the god Asclepius, Apollo vowed revenge on his murderer, Zeus, and attempted to kill the brothers and cripple the Sky God. Though he failed, the Cyclopes were frightened enough to flee to Sicily, where they begat a race not unlike themselves. Along with sea nymphs and gods, the island was soon populated with an entire species of Cyclopes, as they became known.

While generally peaceful in nature, the Cyclopes would be roped into a war with Atlantis following the Trojan War, by their leader Gargensis. Many were killed, and those that remained on Sicily were menaced by travelers, many returning from Troy. None of these tragic figures are better known than Polyphemus.

Upon arrival on the island, Odysseus, a Greek hero, entered into the home of Polyphemus, who was tending to his flock of sheep. Upon return, the Cyclops was enraged, immediately killing many of Odysseus' crewmen. Eventually, he intended to eat the entire crew – the Greek, however, tricked Polyphemus, blinding him in his sleep with a burning stake. The Cyclops prayed to his father, Poseidon, to punish the man – and he most certainly did, with years of aimless travel across the sea.

Initially, Odysseus reported Polyphemus as a brutish, anger-prone monster; the Trojan, Aeneas, corroborated his story. However, future historians began to think otherwise. Many reported the life of Polyphemus, like most Cyclopes, was a peaceful, pastoral one. Others agreed upon his heated nature, but portrayed him in a more sympathetic light – his romance with the sea nymph Galatea, and his murder of rival suitor Acis, show a man willing to shave and compose poetry for his love, and kill in the heat of passion

The Cyclopes would eventually be pushed to extinction by human encroachment, and as such are looked upon with more fondness now than before; yet, their barbarian nature is still a point of contention. Some believe the Cyclopes were a culture stamped out by the new, dominant race, while others continue the thought that they were monsters to be slain. In the modern world, we cannot be certain of either – the one thing we can be sure of is that the Cyclopes were a major influence in the ancient world.

Sources:
Spoiler :
* Greek Mythology – Cyclopes
* Theogony (Greek Creation Myth) – First Cyclopes (Arges, Brontes, Steropes), Gaia, Uranus, Hecatonchires, Titans, Kronos, Zeus’ Rise, War with Titans
* Alcestis – Asclepius, Apollo’s Rage
* Odyssey – Cyclopes on Sicily, Laestrygonians, Odysseus, Polyphemus
* Age of Mythology – Gargensis, War with Atlantis
* Aeneid – Aeneas
* Arimpasi
* Japanese Mythology – Hitotsume-kozō (One-Eyed Spirits)
* Poetry of Callimachus – Hephaestus’ Assistants
* Theocritus – Peaceful Polyphemus
* Metamorphoses – Polyphemus, Galatea, and Acis
Pretty by-the-book Pedia; almost entirely from Greek mythology. A few things were changed (originally Apollo killed the Cyclopes in Alcestis, and Hades brought them back), and I added the link between the Laestrygonians and the Hecatonchires. I mean, Cyclopes and Laestrygonians both lived on Sicily, and the original Cyclopes were brothers to the Hecatonchires. Both were types of giants. It's a pretty clear link. And, of course, as per usual, any ideas for additions or changes are welcome.

As for Rome, I have a lot of ideas, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to writing them. So, look forward to it at some point.

Nice. Kinda funny that Firefly is a leader of a Christian party, considering all of the Marx Brothers were, you know, Jewish :rolleyes:

Were they? :eek:
Now, that's a surprise! The universe seems to have a very ironic sense of humor :lol:

Not bad at all! I've never seen Duck Soup (or any Marx Brothers movies; I've been meaning to, honest!), nor do I know too much about Austrofascism, but it was an interesting read to say the lest.

Well, you'd be surprised how few things the average Austrian knows about Austrofascism. It's one of the parts of our history that certain politicians want to erase from the records. :rolleyes:

Anyway, nice pedias! But I'm afraid, the connection between the Laestrygonians and the Hecatonchires wont work, as the latter are known for having a hundred arms. But I suppose we could link the Laestrygonians with any other kind of giant species. Maybe they are offsprings of, say, Cyclops and Titans or something similar.

Well, I figured the extra limbs would be vestigial, y'know? I mean, after a few generations they'd start to lose 'em, and what with the magical nature of the beasts, they'd eventually whittle down to a normal pair through survival of the fittest and such.

I mean, they had a hundred heads! What possible evolutionary function could that serve? :lol:

Top Bottom