1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DMI VII - Team BtS

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by ·Imhotep·, Dec 9, 2007.

1. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Ok, I think that we are going to showcase one of the BtS features: the fact that AI sometimes will pursue cultural wins :gripe: ... In this game we are quite stuck about doing anything about it ( no way we could bribe Louis vs HC?.... the almost legendary city is in border...maybe, just maybe :please: )

Ad Hoc, see what you can do....

2. pawelo

pawelo Chieftain

Hello back guys,

Can I please ask you to accept me out of the loop for a while ?
    Have some serious RL issues to handle, and my attention was (and is) too much focused on Civ & SGs.
    I don't know how long it will take - hopefully I'll get it right back on the track before it's too late (if it already isn't).

I'll keep you posted.

Had a great time playing alongside with you guys.
    Cheers,

Pawelo

3. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Ok, pawelo... hopefully you'll resolve all the RL stuff nice and easy ( well, if it envolves women... well you're F*cked up anyway ...;) ). But I doubt that you'll need to play another turnset here ... :cry:

And BTW: Is there anybody out there to finish this ?.....

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Chieftain

didn't see the post,

guess i'll pick it up and play on Wednesday,

i guess it's looking pretty bleak but we'll tough it out to the end.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Chieftain

i've played to the end guys, good news is we weren't Dan Quayle. :lol:

i'll post some screenies and a brief report later.

6. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

C'mon Ad hoc... this was below RB1...... ;)

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Chieftain

Well, the only real chance at this point was to get Louis to declare on HC, but with the two of HC’s cities being legendary and the other producing 500+ culture each turn it very quickly became a forlorn hope

We managed to get a very small trade with Louis to improve hopefully our diplo points but he wasn't interested in a DoW against HC.

Research went Rifling – Military Tradition – Chemistry – Steam Power – Assembly Line (Not Complete)

and that at least allowed us to build our UU, BUT LOOK AT THE TOP OF THE PICCIE, HC/KK in a permanant alliance.... oh well just button pushing now i think

A quick look at the victory condions

we could have entered a war between HC/KK and Wash in 1901AD but a sense of futility had taken over and i declined.

i think in the end we were the victims of the BTS AI being that much better than the Vanilla / Warlords.

i attach the save before defeat

Attached Files:

8. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Bad luck guys! Well done playing it out to the bitter end.

9. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

It was not over if we could pull Louis vs HC ( I thinked that it would be doable until the bitter end )... it was a long shot, but with HC founding 6 religions and having Oracle so soon ( I bet he grabbed MC.. more power for wonderspamming ) it was really hard to stop a cultural one...

Oh well, live and learn....

10. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Wow! An AI going for cultural who wasn't a military push-over. That's nice. So often in my personal games, when an AI goes for a cultural win, it's a military wimp and easy to assimilate.

HC was awfully awfully tough this game. Not sure how he could've been dealt with. Thanks for the fun read and playing it out to the bitter end.

Arathorn

11. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

^^The big problem was that we met HC pretty late.... if we had met him earlier, we could had devised how to cope with him better ( he was from a diferent religion from Louis... we would only have to befriend Louis ( as we did ) and sour him vs HC ( as we did but it was too late :cry: ) )

I think that this was winnable with some luck.... that we didn't had.

12. Lekdevil.NL

Lekdevil.NL Chieftain

Lurker's comment from his armchair in the back seat:
    I'd say the 2000-year war with Hatty did you in. You tried to conquer her lands with insufficient troops (at first, at least) and with too low a production to replenish your forces, whilst the conquered cities were immediately being overwhelmed by Hatty's creative culture.

The vanilla and Warlords teams chose to settle the lands in the west and south-west instead, built up a strong economy, and proceeded to trample the world under the hooves of their Cossacks.

Yours was a gambit that unfortunately didn't pay off, I say. That said, thanks for the enjoyable read and the fun game! Cheers.

/me returns to his armchair and resumes making evil plans to subjugate the world

13. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

We coudn't rely as much in cossacks as the other teams... in BtS Cossacks need Mil Trad + Rifling, a thing that almost excludes using them as the other teams did... and Hatty was much more land grabbing than in the other teams games: when we started war she had 5 cities vs 2 and in the verge of founding other one... We simply didn't had much of choice regarding that.

14. Trieste

Trieste Chieftain

The one major bit of bad luck (or good ai work) was Capac getting the Oracle so early. That shut the door on the bts-only religious victory

Fun game- sorry about being gone for that last turn btw