Do you owe allegiance to any brands?

if the person in question is concerned with status, with most people are, that they have to show off "I am rich and cool", then they will choose the expensive one. Others just want it to taste good

Not true.

When I shop I make a general assumption that things that are more expensive are better somehow.

That of course doesn't apply if I'm shopping for something I know well - like computer parts or booze.

I may be brainwashed, at least I'm not a poser.
Well, the former is quite unavoidable, but fortunately the latter isn't. :goodjob:
That also kinda applies to other products.

When I studied economics in school, I distinctly remember learning about a concept which states that consumers look at the price as an indication of quality. So, if you have two products, exactly the same, one cheaper than the other.. common sense would dictate that most people go after the cheaper one.. but a lot of people will actually go for the more expensive product, expecting it to be of a higher quality. I don't remember the name of this concept, and it is far more complex than what I just described, but it's exactly the same principle as the wine example above.

I think you expect the wine not to be as good if you don't pay that much for it.. and thus you already have a preconceived notion of its quality before you taste it.
Oh yes. And this reminds me of another thing worth mentioning about brands:

You pay more for the branding on many products, which are arguably of the same quality as their competitors in the market. However, because the manufacturer has spent more on advertising, to create the impression of quality, the consumer has to cover that advertising cost, under the guise of getting a better product. And, like idiots in need of a status boost, they do so, proudly.

Not true.

When I shop I make a general assumption that things that are more expensive are better somehow.

That of course doesn't apply if I'm shopping for something I know well - like computer parts or booze.

well both are true, depends on the purpose of the product for the consumer. There are alot of reason to buy products. It can be precived fuctionality, quality, status, needs ect.

Dr. Bronner's Soap is made of win for the label alone. Although I heard they stopped doing that . . .

The labels are still absolutely insane. ALL-ONE and the Moral ABCs and so forth. Absolutely insane. I love the soap though. It's good soap.

You pay more for the branding on many products, which are arguably of the same quality as their competitors in the market. However, because the manufacturer has spent more on advertising, to create the impression of quality, the consumer has to cover that advertising cost, under the guise of getting a better product. And, like idiots in need of a status boost, they do so, proudly.

On one defense of that iconic system, well stablished brandies are usually more stable financially, and their headquarters easier to find, making the imposition of responsibility for malfunctions of their products an easier task. That's the problem of being king, really, that everyone always can find you. Nevertheless, I think this is a real consumer's asset to buying a stablished brand.

Regards :).

The labels are still absolutely insane. ALL-ONE and the Moral ABCs and so forth. Absolutely insane. I love the soap though. It's good soap.

That's awesome. If ever I were to buy a product based solely on its packaging, it would be this. The fact that it is useful as heck (I always had a good supply for camping) is almost just a bonus.

I'll go out of my way for:
Dr. Bronner's soap.

Wow, you can get Dr Bronner's all the way out in New England? I thought it was just a zany local California phenomenon. Gotta love any soap that also claims to be great toothpaste and shampoo. And I love that brisk pepperminty smell!

Wow, you can get Dr Bronner's all the way out in New England? I thought it was just a zany local California phenomenon. Gotta love any soap that also claims to be great toothpaste and shampoo. And I love that brisk pepperminty smell!

I get it at Whole Foods, the overpriced hippie grocery store. My friends in Chicago can get it out there, too. I don't get the peppermint kind, though, I usually get the tea tree one. Never used it as toothpaste, but I wash myself and my doggie with it, as well as laundry in a pinch.

I get it at Whole Foods, the overpriced hippie grocery store. My friends in Chicago can get it out there, too. I don't get the peppermint kind, though, I usually get the tea tree one. Never used it as toothpaste, but I wash myself and my doggie with it, as well as laundry in a pinch.

Ah yes. "Whole Foods, Whole Paycheck" we call it :)

Well, what I was talking about covers a case such as this:

I am out looking for a fan.. It's hot and I need one.

Now, I don't know of any fan manufacturers, I don't know which ones are good, which ones are reputable, which ones have fancy commercials and which ones don't..

I'll of course look at the featureset... see what it says on the box.. but price is going to play a big part in me deciding which fan is "better".

Now, I realize that sometimes you pay for the brand, so I keep that in mind as well.

And this doesn't really apply to big purchases either, as I would research those.

Ah yes. "Whole Foods, Whole Paycheck" we call it :)

I shop there for harder-to-find stuff, like the soap, hemp seed oil, and some goddamn-hippie herbal supplements. I have actually saved money there with their bulk stuff - example: rolled oats for $.89/lb, organic to boot. Mostly they're overpriced hippie garbage, but sometimes it's worth it or you can save some money!

I shop there for harder-to-find stuff, like the soap, hemp seed oil, and some goddamn-hippie herbal supplements. I have actually saved money there with their bulk stuff - example: rolled oats for $.89/lb, organic to boot. Mostly they're overpriced hippie garbage, but sometimes it's worth it or you can save some money!

Well, there are still plenty of hippies here in California, but I'm happy to see that there are enough hippies to support hippie markets in other states! :D

But yeah, Dr. Bonner's labels are a trip!

Top Bottom