The BEST Fabrics/Brands/Clothing for Working Out/Hiking/Building in the Sun

Plains-Cow

Best Resource; Always Wins
Hey Off-Topic, how are you doing? Is that a new haircut? Haha, yeah, of course I noticed!

Anyways, I was wondering what kind of materials you guys like to wear when it's hot outside. I'm talking HIGH temps and HIGH (or low) humidity. I'm looking into trying some new clothing for outdoor work and fitness. I hear that lightweight cotton is very cozy, but that it doesn't "moisture wick." What's the point of moisture wicking if I want the sweat to meet a breeze and cool my skin down? I heard that synthetics are good for humid conditions for this reason since the wet air leads to less cooling from ambient breezes, but if spending more than 30 mins outside in the sun, I'd figure that sweating in synthetics will be pretty much equivalent to what sweating in thin cotton feels like.

You hear from dermatologists that cotton is the best for skin, but also hear from fitness folks that synthetics don't chafe as much as cotton when sweating. However, how is that possible when cotton breathes better anyway? Plus, in humid environments, won't any clothing just become saturated in sweat with continual movement/sun exposure regardless? It almost seems like so long as you wear anything thin and drink enough water, that any material is good enough. There's soooo much marketing and soooo little data on what clothing fiber is best for what that it seems confusing. You even hear things about synthetic materials being dangerous for your skin long term when mixing with the salt of your sweat under the sun, especially if they're treated with chemicals during the manufacturing process, but I don't know of any studies directly linking the material itself (polyester, nylon) to any cancer-causing action on the skin. Maybe microplastics? IDK. Plus, I hear synthetics are better at blocking UV light when compared to cotton, therefore protecting you better from skin cancers, so it feels like a tossup to me there.

So, I'm interested in your opinions! What do you find WORKS for keeping you COOLEST in different climates? Are you of the philosophy of covering up arms and legs, or do you rock shorts, tees, and sunscreen for max ventilation? I'd imagine that humidity also plays a huge role in how clothing behaves and what's best where. Can't wait to see what you guys think from experience!

Nice of you to notice.
My personal approach is not to go out all Summer.
Whats wrong with months in front of a screen?
Nothing, I suppose. However, I can't help but note your name is Amazon Queen. It gave me hope you'd have tips for particularly hot and humid conditions (and how to really sling up a rifle).

Plenty of humidity in the Upper South, but my only seasonal wardrobe change is from jeans to shorts in the warm months and vice versa.

Nothing, I suppose. However, I can't help but note your name is Amazon Queen. It gave me hope you'd have tips for particularly hot and humid conditions (and how to really sling up a rifle).
The original Amazons had nothing to do with the Amazon or rifles.

What's the point of moisture wicking if I want the sweat to meet a breeze and cool my skin down?
You want to cool the whole environment around you. Not than much water can evaporate directly from your skin, and less if it is covered by clothes. By soaking up moisture and letting it evaporate easily, while also absorbing the direct sunlight loose cotton clothing can be a great option.

I tend to go for a well ventilated wide brimmed hat, loose cotton top and shorts. I use high factor sunscreen, but if I had to do it for a job I would try and get a decent tan. The most important thing is drink loads of water, getting dehydrated is dangerous. If it is cold it is much more drinkable. To ensure I have cold water I freeze 2l pop bottles with water in, and refill them as required.

I think a bigger question is what shoes. Boots are of course essential in many situations, but if not sandals can be a great option. Socks can make sandals much comfier, and do a good job of evaporating sweat, but some will say it is a sin.

I think a bigger question is what shoes. Boots are of course essential in many situations, but if not sandals can be a great option. Socks can make sandals much comfier, and do a good job of evaporating sweat, but some will say it is a sin.
Ventilated shoes for sure for breathe-ability.

Hey Off-Topic, how are you doing? Is that a new haircut? Haha, yeah, of course I noticed!

Anyways, I was wondering what kind of materials you guys like to wear when it's hot outside. I'm talking HIGH temps and HIGH (or low) humidity. I'm looking into trying some new clothing for outdoor work and fitness. I hear that lightweight cotton is very cozy, but that it doesn't "moisture wick." What's the point of moisture wicking if I want the sweat to meet a breeze and cool my skin down? I heard that synthetics are good for humid conditions for this reason since the wet air leads to less cooling from ambient breezes, but if spending more than 30 mins outside in the sun, I'd figure that sweating in synthetics will be pretty much equivalent to what sweating in thin cotton feels like.

You hear from dermatologists that cotton is the best for skin, but also hear from fitness folks that synthetics don't chafe as much as cotton when sweating. However, how is that possible when cotton breathes better anyway? Plus, in humid environments, won't any clothing just become saturated in sweat with continual movement/sun exposure regardless? It almost seems like so long as you wear anything thin and drink enough water, that any material is good enough. There's soooo much marketing and soooo little data on what clothing fiber is best for what that it seems confusing. You even hear things about synthetic materials being dangerous for your skin long term when mixing with the salt of your sweat under the sun, especially if they're treated with chemicals during the manufacturing process, but I don't know of any studies directly linking the material itself (polyester, nylon) to any cancer-causing action on the skin. Maybe microplastics? IDK. Plus, I hear synthetics are better at blocking UV light when compared to cotton, therefore protecting you better from skin cancers, so it feels like a tossup to me there.

So, I'm interested in your opinions! What do you find WORKS for keeping you COOLEST in different climates? Are you of the philosophy of covering up arms and legs, or do you rock shorts, tees, and sunscreen for max ventilation? I'd imagine that humidity also plays a huge role in how clothing behaves and what's best where. Can't wait to see what you guys think from experience!

This article about moisture wicking focuses on occupational safety and explains the principle behind this fabric. It's not just for the summer months, as winter is also a time when you don't want to be trapped in your own sweat.

However, there's another reason to wear it, and it's one that a lot of women have once we hit a certain age range. It's what lets me sleep reasonably comfortably instead of feeling like I'm sleeping in a tub of water while fully clothed and there's no escape (it really is uncomfortable and contributes to a lack of sleep, fatigue, and mental health issues. Not to mention a very bad temper due to said lack of sleep and comfort.

Nice of you to notice.
My personal approach is not to go out all Summer.
Whats wrong with months in front of a screen?

Same here. I don't function well in summer.

Check your Greek mythology. No, Xena: Warrior Princess is not a documentary. But they did do a few long story arcs about the Amazons, not to mention one of the main characters became an Amazon queen (Gabrielle).

Fashion can lead to some really uncomfortable situations when temperature is involved. I don't wear sandals anymore, but if I did, they'd be the kind that would allow for socks if I wanted.

Not that I go barefoot much (have occasionally done so in the building here if I'm on a quick trip to the lobby for mail, but in that case I just slip my crocs on; if I wear crocs outside the building, I'm also wearing socks).

I'm a delivery drone here in texas, and its both hot and humid. I wear long pants, having proper merino wool socks helps a lot. I'm super pale, at least I was, so I try to cover up as much skin as possible. The real thing is staying hydrated, and keeping on top of your electrolytes, heat cramps are some of the most agonizing pain I've ever had. I've been drinking nearly two gallons during a 9 hour shift. The amount of sweat and salt that ends up soaking my clothes is unreal.

Linen is your friend. With the medieval reenactment I do in the summer I have to wear cloth armor for swordfighting and it is three layers of linen in the armored jacket, and a linen undertunic. Linen wicks away sweat naturally and breathes really well.
Plus if you have access to a sewing machine, a linen tunic is trivially easy to make.

Last edited:
This article about moisture wicking focuses on occupational safety and explains the principle behind this fabric. It's not just for the summer months, as winter is also a time when you don't want to be trapped in your own sweat.

However, there's another reason to wear it, and it's one that a lot of women have once we hit a certain age range. It's what lets me sleep reasonably comfortably instead of feeling like I'm sleeping in a tub of water while fully clothed and there's no escape (it really is uncomfortable and contributes to a lack of sleep, fatigue, and mental health issues. Not to mention a very bad temper due to said lack of sleep and comfort.

Same here. I don't function well in summer.

Check your Greek mythology. No, Xena: Warrior Princess is not a documentary. But they did do a few long story arcs about the Amazons, not to mention one of the main characters became an Amazon queen (Gabrielle).

Fashion can lead to some really uncomfortable situations when temperature is involved. I don't wear sandals anymore, but if I did, they'd be the kind that would allow for socks if I wanted.

Not that I go barefoot much (have occasionally done so in the building here if I'm on a quick trip to the lobby for mail, but in that case I just slip my crocs on; if I wear crocs outside the building, I'm also wearing socks).

Thank you for the article! I would think that they are referring more to synthetics over natural fibers, then?

I actually function pretty well in the summer so long as I keep hydrated with plenty of water. I find that it's all about getting ahead by drinking 4-5 swallows of water every 15-30 mins when spending all day casually in the sun, and 3-4 liters when doing labor.

I thought that Amazon Queen's name was relating to the literal Amazon rainforest, not the mythological Amazons.

Can you tell me how you wear those crocs? Is it always with the back part down? I would think they would fly off my feet otherwise. I couldn't imagine people wearing them without socks because they might rub weird on toes...

I'm a delivery drone here in texas, and its both hot and humid. I wear long pants, having proper merino wool socks helps a lot. I'm super pale, at least I was, so I try to cover up as much skin as possible. The real thing is staying hydrated, and keeping on top of your electrolytes, heat cramps are some of the most agonizing pain I've ever had. I've been drinking nearly two gallons during a 9 hour shift. The amount of sweat and salt that ends up soaking my clothes is unreal.

Do you have a preference for fabric types or a brand? Do you drink any specific drinks/powders for electros or find that certain foods work better for you?

Linen is your friend. With the medieval reenactment I do in the summer I have to wear cloth armor for swordfighting and it is three layers of linen in the armored jacket, and a linen undertunic. Linen wicks away sweat naturally and breathes really well.
Plus if you have access to a sewing machine, a linen tunic is trivially easy to make.

I don't know where I would find linen that is both thin for hot, direct sun and "modern" enough to not look like a character playing a role. I haven't found any results for "linen workwear."

A quick google on 'linen shirt / t shirt' turned up plenty of results for me. Some of my linen pants and shirts came from J Crew FWIW.
If you want to make your own, any fabric retailer will have plenty of linen to choose from. As far as making it, a t-shirt is a pretty simple structure. Heck, if you wanted to, you could just buy a very cheap tshirt, open up the seams, and use it as a pattern. Might not be the prettiest, but fashion doesn't matter once the temperature is above 90F (or for us Minnesotans, below 0F!)

Thank you for the article! I would think that they are referring more to synthetics over natural fibers, then?

I actually function pretty well in the summer so long as I keep hydrated with plenty of water. I find that it's all about getting ahead by drinking 4-5 swallows of water every 15-30 mins when spending all day casually in the sun, and 3-4 liters when doing labor.

I thought that Amazon Queen's name was relating to the literal Amazon rainforest, not the mythological Amazons.

Can you tell me how you wear those crocs? Is it always with the back part down? I would think they would fly off my feet otherwise. I couldn't imagine people wearing them without socks because they might rub weird on toes...

Do you have a preference for fabric types or a brand? Do you drink any specific drinks/powders for electros or find that certain foods work better for you?

I don't know where I would find linen that is both thin for hot, direct sun and "modern" enough to not look like a character playing a role. I haven't found any results for "linen workwear."

Anyone referred to as an "Amazon Queen" would be a woman with excellent leadership skills, proficient-to-expert at the tasks she does, and someone respected by the people she works with and those she leads. While they may have a male partner, they are not dependent on that partner and will not accept a relationship to be anything less than equal in every way (other than who the actual leader is).

Where this hypothetical queen lives is actually not relevant. I've seen Amazons mentioned in many regions during the Xena series (but remember that this show fudged history a LOT).

Another use of Amazons is in Marion Zimmer Bradley's novel Firebrand. That's a retelling of the Trojan War from the point of view of Kassandra, the daughter of King Priam and Queen Hecuba. She had the gift of prophesy and being a seer, (given by Apollo), but since she refused to sleep with Apollo (in the body of one of Apollo's priests), Apollo cursed her to be able to see clear and true prophecies, but that nobody would believe her.

If they had listened to her, Troy's loss wouldn't have happened, or least not been as destructive as it was.*

*yes, this is mythology, based on Homer, and we'd need a time machine to go back to see what REALY happened. At least we now know that there really was a city there.

As for crocs, I wear them with the band down. They're too easy to slip off, otherwise. Wearing them without socks is no big deal if it's a couple of minutes within the building here. I won't bother with socks to go get mail or do the laundry or go to the garbage chute, but would if I were going outside or if it was cold (those shoes have a lot of holes in them, after all!). And I don't care one bit that they're a dull grey color. I find them useful and that's all that matters.

Anyone referred to as an "Amazon Queen" would be a woman with excellent leadership skills, proficient-to-expert at the tasks she does, and someone respected by the people she works with and those she leads. While they may have a male partner, they are not dependent on that partner and will not accept a relationship to be anything less than equal in every way (other than who the actual leader is).

Where this hypothetical queen lives is actually not relevant. I've seen Amazons mentioned in many regions during the Xena series (but remember that this show fudged history a LOT).

Another use of Amazons is in Marion Zimmer Bradley's novel Firebrand. That's a retelling of the Trojan War from the point of view of Kassandra, the daughter of King Priam and Queen Hecuba. She had the gift of prophesy and being a seer, (given by Apollo), but since she refused to sleep with Apollo (in the body of one of Apollo's priests), Apollo cursed her to be able to see clear and true prophecies, but that nobody would believe her.

If they had listened to her, Troy's loss wouldn't have happened, or least not been as destructive as it was.*

*yes, this is mythology, based on Homer, and we'd need a time machine to go back to see what REALY happened. At least we now know that there really was a city there.

As for crocs, I wear them with the band down. They're too easy to slip off, otherwise. Wearing them without socks is no big deal if it's a couple of minutes within the building here. I won't bother with socks to go get mail or do the laundry or go to the garbage chute, but would if I were going outside or if it was cold (those shoes have a lot of holes in them, after all!). And I don't care one bit that they're a dull grey color. I find them useful and that's all that matters.
I don't know much about ancient history, let alone mythology of the times. I know I've read some/parts of Homer's works, but I can't remember what story was in which book.

I think crocs are actually "in" right now. Lots of people are making custom crocs and croc collaborations. Also, grey is the new black.

Had to wear jeans out today due to not being prompt with my laundry loads. Tolerable, even if more humid. :ack:

Top Bottom