Do you think Nuclear Power is the best way to go?

Nuclear Power:A better alternative?

• Total voters
I can't think of a resource that more 'non-renewable' than nuclear fuel!

Of course, once we start mining asteroids, we're golden. And if cheap energy gets us there faster, then I'm all for it. As long as we invest the savings, we're fine.

If we have learned anything from Civ4 it is that nuclear reactors suck. Coal and hydro mines are the ways to go;).

Hm. A source of power with no greenhouse gas emissions? One that doesn't involve dealing with terrorists or shortening lives in filthy coal mines? One with a very high efficiency rate? Ok, I'm in.

Definately for it. If you are careful about it, no nuclear accidents; Chernobyl was an experimental reactor. If you recycle the fuel efficiently, we have enough to last thousands, if not millions of years. What's not to like?

Clean, efficient, and with an impending sense of doom. The best way to have power.

You should have split between fission and fusion. I personally think we should research fusion technology all out until we can successfully mass build fusion power plants.

In the meantime, yeah, fission is the way to go for the national power grids. Non polluting if done right, except for the waste left over which we should just launch into the sun. Yep, it's time for the big space gun again!

victor895 said:
Look at how many people die in the US die from fossil fuel accidents every year, hundreds, but how many people have died from accidents in Nulcear Power Plants, none, there has never been a single death in the US dealing with Nuclear Power.

Whoa nelly, is THAT wrong! I'll edit this post when I find the link to back it up, but there was a hella bad accident, though contained, which whacked everyone in the building. It had to do with the way control rods were lowered and raised from the core. One rod was stuck, so they pulled and pulled on it, and when it finally budged, it jerked all the way out, precipitating a runaway reaction. Or something like that... old, bad design.

EDIT: Wiki to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1

If you want to see me harshly criticize America, have an extended conversation with me on nuclear power, because I think we should be adopting it in mass.

The "hippie energies", or solar, wind, etc. have a place in our future, but cannot be our main power supply, only auxilliaries. Fossil Fuels cannot have a place in our future. Nuclear is the only other option for a main power supply, and its not a bad choice either, especially with all the advances that have been made since the 70's.

Swiss Bezerker said:
But of course, as soon as you go to the ukraine...
I'm undecided

Well, if you design your reactor like those in most of the world, to shut down when there's a problem instead of speed up, there won't be problems.

Case in point: TMI, which released no radiation into the environment; it worked just as it was designed.

And yes, the NRC runs a tight ship.

The Condor said:
If we have learned anything from Civ4 it is that nuclear reactors suck. Coal and hydro mines are the ways to go;).

What? hydro mines create power? When did they add that into the game? Reading over what you wrote, um, why does "nuclear reactors suck"? Do you make ambiguous comments on purpose or does spamming come with the condor package? wow just 3 months of posting and look at how many posts you have! Good job. :rolleyes:

El_Machinae said:
I can't think of a resource that more 'non-renewable' than nuclear fuel!

How is nuclear fuel any less renewable than fossil fuels? In fact, it's possible to develop reactors that can use processed waste form other reactors.

victor895 said:
Also, it is very clean, my dad works at a nuclear power plant and he says that because of the NRC (nuclear regulatory comission) the water that the nulcear plant sends back to the environment is actualy cleaner then it is before they use it.

That is true, however, there is also the issue of thermal pollution, which can have a significant negative impact on the ecosystem of the body of water in question.

As some of you know, I work in the nuclear industry, so my viewpoint is obvious. Please note though that I have always maintained an objective attitude since joing the industry (I first took the job reluctantly) and have scrutinised everything I've heard.

I believe, and advocate, that someday, completely renewable energy will be a possibility (my guess is that in approximately 60 years renewables will be our promary source), but in the mean time, nuclear the most abundant and clean source of energy that can be produce the amount we need.

Top Bottom