Do you turn your hamburgers upside down?

I don't eat hamburgers. I like to chew solid chunks of food. Does that make me weird?

I've got nothing against mincing meat up. But I like to see it whole at some stage in the process, otherwise who knows what's in it?

I've eaten one hamburger, that I didn't make myself, in the last 30 years. I remember it quite well, and while it wasn't particularly bad, it didn't fill me with longing to repeat the experience. And it wasn't worth the money.

As for this turning them over on the plate, I'm totally bemused what that's about. With food in general, it's as much as I can manage not to gobble my own fingers up as well.

I don't even understand what turning it over is supposed to accomplish. Is this one of those USAian things?

Yeah. It must be, I think. Probably something to do with the cheese*. Or the salad. I honestly don't know.

*whoever thought cheese goes well with beef, had a funny sense of taste, imo, but never mind that. Still, probably just a way of getting even more calories into a bun.

Ooh, and are those wholemeal buns, btw?

I eat burgers by putting my thumbs at the bottom of the bottom bun and all the other fingers resting on top of the top bun.

I take a bite, and instead of rotating my wrists (why?), I place the burger down on my plate. When it comes time to take another bite, I raise the burger by any means necessary (larger and topping-heavy burgers require extra attention), and then put it in the usual thumbs-down fingers-up configuration.

It's very easy and accommodates burgers of all shapes and sizes. I'm not sure why I'd ever flip it, but I'm sure it's happened before.

In a way all the burgers I ate in New Zealand and Patagonia were eaten upside down, as well as a couple times I'm sure when I just did not care about directions.

I don't get it. Why is it necessary to place the burger on a plate between bites?

I just eat stuff in one continuous movement. There's really no time to put it down before I take another bite. Assuming I can pick it up of course. Might be a bit difficult with soup. Which I spoon in.

Mind you, it has to be said: I'm not the most refined diner in the world.

Does anyone here eat an orange with a knife and fork, though?

In a way all the burgers I ate in New Zealand and Patagonia were eaten upside down

Is this some kind of Southern Hemisphere crack? Like the water swirls the opposite way when it goes down the drain?

Nah. It's just Eurocentric geographism: assuming that North is at the top and South at the bottom. And hence that the Northern hemisphere is the "right" way up. It's an arbitrary and prejudicial convention, and that's it.

Well great, now we have magnetic north, geographic north, and Warpus birth location north!

Well great, now we have magnetic north, geographic north, and Warpus birth location north!

Probably need to add 'Warpus current location north' to the list, as I doubt that he maintains consistent orientation as he wanders around.

If as many people as here report doing so (for good reason) hold hamburgers with the convex portion of the bun facing down, perhaps it would be more accurate to say that hamburgers are generally served upside down.

In any case, it's clear there's a real upside to holding them that way.

I don't get it. Why is it necessary to place the burger on a plate between bites?
It's easier to take a sip of whatever is being drunk (pop, for example), or to use a napkin.

Does anyone here eat an orange with a knife and fork, though?
Only when used as a pizza ingredient and the pizza is too hot to pick up with the fingers.

Rose: How come you sound like you're from the North?
Doctor: Lots of planets have a north.

Nah. It's just Eurocentric geographism: assuming that North is at the top and South at the bottom. And hence that the Northern hemisphere is the "right" way up. It's an arbitrary and prejudicial convention, and that's it.

More like: Most people live on the northern hemisphere, so it's all democratic and fair you see! ;)

I pick it up with my hands...put it into this big hole i have in my face. Nothing more needs to be said. 'muricans have a scientific approach to eating burgers, not surprised

I've never done this. I don't know if you're all weirdos or I missed out on critical education.

Why is it necessary to place the burger on a plate between bites?

The presence of a drink, or a side like fries, combined with a hamburger that can't feasibly be held one-handed, often necessitates it.

I pick it up with my hands...put it into this big hole i have in my face. Nothing more needs to be said. 'muricans have a scientific OCD approach to eating burgers, not surprised

You and I are of one mind on this, Mr Q.

Snacks only require the use of one hand. Large meals, two; in my experience.

As for drinks, they're strictly for consumption after having finished eating, imo. I like to compartmentalize sometimes.

Here on campus at UCF we have a place that prides itself on the greasiness of the burgers (Might go there for dinner actually!). Usually though that "greasiness" means that they put raw or sunny side egg up on it, making it delicious. I will say that one time a burger I got from there was so greasy that I had to eat just the burger with a fork and knife and decided to skip on the bun. I'm kinda intrigued by the people who just eat the ground meat and not the bun, should do that more often.

As for drinks, they're strictly for consumption after having finished eating, imo. I like to compartmentalize sometimes.

That doesn't work for me. I have to mix a lot of sips in with my food to keep the whole upper GI tract well lubricated.

Top Bottom