Do you wish to take permanent control of the Armenian Civilization?

edit: Disagree. Language is the determining factor. So although Ireland is country, I consider the Celtic Civilization to be moribund or dead for the main reason that only tiny pockets speak Gaelic and Welsh is the first language of less than a quarter of wales.
Only need to look at Jewish history to see how much impact language has in a peoples fortunes.

Meh, the Irish language is still alive, and growing slowly again. Its the official language of the country, an official EU language, compulsory in schools until the end of second level and the first language of the constitution. National anthem is in Irish. There's still several unique aspects of Irish culture alive today, such as Gaelic games which are the most popular sports in the country, despite British efforts to destroy all aspects of Irish culture on the island.

I generally approve of the inclusion of ancient/classical minor civs. The problem with armenia is that it will have to be "clumped up" with other civs to have enough room (much like ethiopia ahistorically have the whole swahili coast count as historical), probably georgia, but even then there's barely enough room for 2 cities IMO.

About the proposed UHVs, 6 cities sound like WAY too much. Even if you do control your capital plus another city north of the caucasus (ahistorical afaik), around 0 ad you have sur, ankyra and maybe ninua within close range. 6 cities would demand you target byzantion, jerusalem or babilu, which is far from what historical armenia would be capable.

A religious UHV is historically accurate, but the current suggestions are not satisfactory gameplay-wise. I don't know what could be done to make it better, maybe a vassalize goal, but good luck with that with all the powerful civs that will be surrounding you.

6 Cities would be when Tigranes briefly controlled Syria, Assyria and Anatolia.

All this territory does not translate into 6 cities. Syria would be Sur, Anatolia would be Ankyra. Assyria would be Ninua (Assur is right next to Babilu so it's impossible), but that city is not always settled by Babylon, and it might be razed. So that sums up as 4 historical cities that can be put to good use gameplay-wise: Artaxata, Sur, Ankyra and Ninua.

All this territory does not translate into 6 cities. Syria would be Sur, Anatolia would be Ankyra. Assyria would be Ninua (Assur is right next to Babilu so it's impossible), but that city is not always settled by Babylon, and it might be razed. So that sums up as 4 historical cities that can be put to good use gameplay-wise: Artaxata, Sur, Ankyra and Ninua.

Jerusalem could also count historically.

Guys how about we wait for Leoreth to comment before we start discussing music? :crazyeye:

Guys how about we wait for Leoreth to comment before we start discussing music? :crazyeye:

Leoreth tends to let discussion play out before commenting. I think he wants to avoid stifling creative suggestion.

Let the discussion continue, I say!

But surely the whole point of the UHV is to go further than the actual civ did and achieve their ideals rather than their actual? Germany never controlled England or Russia, France never had both 40% of Europe and America at once, the Persians never controlled 8% of the world and Carthage never controlled Italy. Surely the aim for Armenia would be to be larger and more sustainable than the actual Armenia was?

Not necessarily.

In vanilla RFC (and so very likely also in DoC), (almost) all civs had 2 UHV that they really achieved IRL and 1 UHV that have tried/wanted to achieve.

Look at your examples. That are UHV that the civ tried/wanted to do IRL, but didn't. But if you look at the other UHV of those civs, you see those are (very often) thing they managed to do IRL.

Not necessarily.

In vanilla RFC (and so very likely also in DoC), (almost) all civs had 2 UHV that they really achieved IRL and 1 UHV that have tried/wanted to achieve.

Look at your examples. That are UHV that the civ tried/wanted to do IRL, but didn't. But if you look at the other UHV of those civs, you see those are (very often) thing they managed to do IRL.

I wasn't aware Germany had developed Fusion Power yet. Or settled seven Great People in Berlin ;)

Joking aside I agree with you, and that works perfectly for Armenia.

- One UHV to capture 6 cities that Tigranes didn't quite achieve
- One UHV should be to build a Christian Cathedral (Orthodox or Catholic) by 900 AD to represent Garni Temple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garni_Temple)
- One UHV tbc (possibly to earn X amount of gold by supplying soliders on mercenary contracts to represent the Legio Armeniaca in the Roman and Byzantine armies?)

I wasn't aware Germany had developed Fusion Power yet. Or settled seven Great People in Berlin

(We're able to generate power from fusion)

the tech of fusion in the game is not cold fusion. it's fusion, as in, the ability to make hydrogen bombs.

No, it isn't. It's the Requirement for the Spaceship Engine. The graphics don't imply a Project Orion kind of Spaceship.

the tech of fusion in the game is not cold fusion. it's fusion, as in, the ability to make hydrogen bombs.

Can't be - that form of fusion was discovered in 1932, and fission was only discovered in 1938. Hydrogen bombs were part of the Manhattan project, and were only abandoned for the purposes of speed.

The tech of fusion in the game is the technology of extracting power from controlled fusion reactions, not just putting some hydrogen around a nuclear bomb and waiting for the fission explosion to cause an uncontrolled fusion reaction.

I wouldn't mind seeing Armenia, but Pavel proposing it would nearly put Leoreth off. You can't post constructively about why a civ should be in the game without having a go at others that have been included, its a stupid way propose a new civ.

That's rather insulting. Though I may not always agree with him, Pavel did have some nice ideas in the past that didn't involve insulting others. It's just a few bad examples that spoil the rest.

Top Bottom