1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the map generator take the difficulty level into account???

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Shafi, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Shafi

Shafi King

I swear i have been getting better starting locations on Prince & now Monarch than what i used to get on Warlord & Noble .....

Is it supposed to be that way? sort of like to balance off the handicaps given to the AI? Or is it just coincidence?

I also have seen some amazing starting locations posted on these forums and used to never roll anything comparable but now suddenly i have been getting some brilliant starting locations.

2. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

The map generator does not take dificulty level in account.

3. Meatbuster

Meatbuster formerly Robo Kai

Try regenerating the map, I am sure you will see the best and the worst of starts come out eventually.

4. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

The more questions mark you put down the smarter you get. Fact!

5. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

Are you playing the same map types as before? I find some map generators more generous than others. Fractal, for example, is great for completely unpredictable maps but seems pretty unbalanced; some civs start with lush green pastures and gold while others get dumped in the desert to starve. Other map generators seem to distribute the goodies a little more evenly.

6. Shafi

Shafi King

nope, i rotate between continents / fractal / big & small / hemispheres mostly.

Anyways i tried generating quite a few maps and started landing some crappy locations .... so i guess i was just on a lucky streak with the maps.

7. ryzax

ryzax Warlord

i am also thinking about this. as for me, it's the other way around, crappy locations become more frequent at higher difficulties (I only go through monarch to immortal)

8. Le Singe

Le Singe Chieftain

i feel the same way as you ryzax...
    also did the 3.19 change the map generation, I only recently installed 3.19 (don't ask) and even since it seems I get a much large number of total suck ass maps lots lots more iso or semi iso starts lots more maps with big deserts. I the interest of fairness I'd also have to say the shape of the continents and what not seem more interesting.

It could also just be placibo (sp?) b/c i've been trying to play on higher lvl's, but its my story and i'm sticking to it.

9. Meatbuster

Meatbuster formerly Robo Kai

This usually tends to get "noticed" if you're not like me, who regenerates until I see a "dream start".

Though I have recently quit trying for Emperor, and now am regenerating away the dream starts and playing "OK starts" on Monarch. See how that improves anything...

10. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I haven't noticed any difference in my CIV experience.

11. Jet

Jet No, no, please. Please.

I thought after it generates the starting positions, it assigns the best ones to the civs with the easiest handicap levels first.

12. VoiceOfUnreason

VoiceOfUnreason Deity

I don't see that when I review the code.

For single player games, the ordering of location assignment is some-AI/human/remaining-AI, where the actual divide depends on the handicap of the human player. But that's just the ordering - the actual evaluation of locations includes at least one dice roll, which may be enough to ensure that the locations are not always assigned in order.

However, the code is a mess, in the sense that there are a lot of variations, so I'm not super confident I have it right.

13. Aoxomoxoa

Aoxomoxoa Prince

I remember a monarch start, can;t remember the civilization, that had a beautiful capital. 7 bonus resources, plains hills, riverside grasslands, sea access with only a couple squares and seafood bonus.. a great start that opened into a narrow outlet, 1 square wide and two squares long and that opened into a football field of ice. a 10x25 ice landmass before the tundra started.. lol

14. CouNterOrdeR

CouNterOrdeR Chieftain

lol yeah sometimes amazing starts= no land to expand into.

PS: Woo first post since dec 14 08!

15. Fetch

Fetch When in doubt, reboot.

The law of averages strikes again! Dun dun dahhhh!