1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Domination on Immortal/Deity - a noob's guide

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by consentient, May 14, 2015.

1. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

Very nicely done! My Emperor game is improving, but I still can't win at Immortal and i just get run over at Deity. I'm getting closer though. One of my problems is not enough gold in the classical era to support my unit maintenance. (so I pretty much bee-line Currency and build markets when I should be building more archers) Meanwhile the AI's are building horsemen and pikes, and they out-tech me. I'll get there eventually. I like how you declared war early but didn't attack their cities, just fought a guerrilla war.

2. IvorySteel

IvorySteel Chieftain

Yeah, I've struggled with that too. China has a get-out-of-jail free card with their Paper Makers, which allowed me to grow science and build an army both. I'm tempted to say that early game on high levels, trade routes are better sent to other civs for gold and science. Although if you're planning to war those neighbours early, maybe not.

It was definitely a revelation for me. I've only ever done a 'blitzkrieg' style of warfare before - wait to out-tech, then head straight to their cities. Really enjoyed this and will probably make it a staple of my early game from now on.

Update if anyone cares - I decided to capture the CS separating me from Suleiman, which let my army spill though and take his heartland. Spain hate me now for my warmongering (she's been a joint partner in every war, I've just been more successful so she's obviously jealous) so they're next on the chopping block, then it's just Dido left on the other continent (she's wiped out Morocco and taken Ethiopia's capital already). I'm the leader in tech and culture, I have the most capitals and city-states, and I've just hit my ideology (Order, for RP purposes more than anything, I'm planning to sink my policies into more Rationalism/Commerce). I don't usually do this well, even on Emporer. Bless this guide.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  3. beetle

beetle Chieftain

I found outside my cap in maybe a third of my games. Only once has that habit made a difference with the beliefs that were available to me.

If you can win at Emperor pretty consistently, I think you should skip to Deity. The AI is not that much more aggressive and the gold problems are easier to manage (because Trade Routes are much more profitable). I would say that the biggest difference between Immortal and Deity is that the AI all get an extra starting settler. OTOH, that means there are more opportunities for worker poaching!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    aafritz17 likes this.
  4. mbbcam

mbbcam Chieftain

A word of caution from past experience -- I've been in the situation of being "fat and happy" on my Continent, only to have ten frigates and five privateers appear out of nowhere in the blink of any eye, with a simultaneous declaration of war. Not pretty. Just beware :)

Nice write-up. And we are all grateful to Consentient for a huge amount of work put in to his guide and elsewhere. A major contribution to the forum.