Double Spacing After Periods

Do you double space after periods?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is bull****. single space always. Open a book. Any book. Or newspaper. Do you see double space there? No? Exactly.

Barbarians.

I thought the edit made the joke better.
That is the most offensive thing anyone has ever said to me on this website.

:)D)

Open a book. Any book. Or newspaper. Do you see double space there? No? Exactly.
That is because books and newspapers don't use monospaced fonts. But there is also more space after a period than there is between words.

Regarding my comment about spaces before and after commas and before end punctuation.

I've noticed that in French texts too. Definitely not standard in Germany though.

I think my Keyboard Skills teacher would have been horrified by spaces before commas and periods.

And I found an example right here in River City...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13120382&postcount=139

r16 said:
I think it was the Malaysian Acting Minister for Transportation who said that 25 countries were acting in concert and that was great diplomatic power . Guaranteed heartburn on anyone who bets on America winning .

as inspired by the episode of Leverage , the TV series , which coincidentally aired in Turkey this week ; D.B. Cooper says hi .

and this latest thing will not hold either . Yeah , it makes great sense for the plane to get into "well defended" India and beyond if it's to 911 some high rise , but ı had always imagined it would have gone not West . Anybody has idea on WW2 B-24 fields with recent shipments of pierced steel planking ?

and not a discussion of who did what but the repetation was supposed to make a dig at this Islamism that regularly gets surprised by the uncooperating-West-once-the-deed-is-done .

I am now wondering exactly where this gentleman is from.

*raises hand slowly* Erm, he is Turkish and insists on using a lowercase dotless I for the first person personal pronoun for some reason. He almost always starts his sentences with a lowercase letter, now that I think of it.

And that first letter in his post didn't copy, so I typed it and did so with a cap. In the link, it will show as a lower case i. :lol:

I have noticed that a disproportionate number of folk I find myself arguing with on this forum double space after periods.

*raises hand slowly* Erm, he is Turkish and insists on using a lowercase dotless I for the first person personal pronoun for some reason. He almost always starts his sentences with a lowercase letter, now that I think of it.

Fun fact: The dot above the "i" and "j" is called a "tittle."

Tittle.

I know, but it's still called 'dotless I' for some reason.

I have noticed that a disproportionate number of folk I find myself arguing with on this forum double space after periods.

I'm one of them! :lol:

Is a disproportionate number of folk you find yourself arguing with on this forum people you would consider :old:?

I was formally trained how to type on an electric typewriter. I was trained to hit the space bar twice after the period at the end of the sentence. It is an old habit that is very difficult to break.

So I think the answer to this question is going to come down to when and where you learned to type.

Here. I found this Wikipedia article. It looks like the convention has shifted in favor of a single space after a period. Changing the convention takes a very long time.

Speaking of typing, how long will it be before we stop using the QWERTY keyboard?

Is a disproportionate number of folk you find yourself arguing with on this forum people you would consider :old:?

They're easy targets. They're too old to know everything. :mischief:

(love ya Hygro!)

Credit to Wilde for the sentiment.

I stopped over a decade ago, QWERTY sucks.

I want to use DVORAK instead of qwerty, but I am afraid if I get a DVORAK at home and have to use a QWERTY at work, I will just make a huge amount of errors everywhere. How long did it take for you to retrain yourself? Do you have issues when going to other keyboards? Does your wife hate you for changing the family computer on her?

Your country has an even lower marriage rate than Canada, so it's interesting including a bit about a wife there.

Your country has an even lower marriage rate than Canada, so it's interesting including a bit about a wife there.

AND my wife is Swedish, which accentuates your points even more! ;)

(I have a 7 month old son, and secretly want to train him on DVORAK and then unleash him into the public school system to create havok, but I must find the right moment to change myself...)

I'm not sure DVORAK is the way to go. Why not something along the lines of a stenotype machine? Which would handicap those with only two fingers, of course. But everything involves a compromise, doesn't it? And even a QWERTY keyboard handicaps those with only two fingers, too.

I want to use DVORAK instead of qwerty, but I am afraid if I get a DVORAK at home and have to use a QWERTY at work, I will just make a huge amount of errors everywhere. How long did it take for you to retrain yourself? Do you have issues when going to other keyboards? Does your wife hate you for changing the family computer on her?

I spent several years switching between Qwerty and Dvorak, and it was painless. I haven't used qwerty now for years, other than for typing in login passwords before my preferences kick in.

However, at this point I'd never take a job where I couldn't use my keyboard layout of choice. Computers are tools to serve me, and forcing me to use an objectively less-efficient tool would be absurd.

I don't have a wife or a family computer. (And my computer is basically unusable by people other than me for several reasons other than keyboard layout anyway.) On any modern Windows OS, the OS is really designed so that every family member uses his or her own account, and keyboard settings are preserved across accounts anyway.

I wouldn't recommend Dvorak to someone switching from Qwerty now. Colemak is marginally more efficient than Dvorak and designed for ease-of-learning for Qwerty victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom