Double Spacing After Periods

Do you double space after periods?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodfella

Showing results for
I think it's finally time we had a meaningful conversation on spaces after periods. Some people, namely those born in the 17th century, think you need to put two spaces after your periods. What's your opinion on this? To me it seems really pointless and half the time people end up putting three, or even four, spaces without even realizing. How many spaces did I just make? You can't even tell unless you highlight over it, which would be impossible if you were reading a hard copy.

I do two spaces (and only two, not three or four) after periods because I find the text easier to parse.

People tell me the extra space is already included in the period for most computer typefaces so you only need one, but the text still looks too tight to me.

EDIT: what do you know, first cited article is the one that Manjoo guy wrote. No surprise.

This went out with typewriters.

I always do, because I learned to type on an electronic typewriter. I wasn't born in the 17th century, though my GCSE Keyboard Skills teacher may have been.

Actually the only time I don't double space after a period is in a txt msg. But then I'm probably odd for using punctuation in a txt msg at all.

I learned to do this when I learned to type in 1969. I don't really think it matters what the convention is. I'm surprised anyone gets worked up about it.

My sentiments exactly. We need to put a full stop to it.

How is that possible? This is pretty much my experience:

The diners included doctors, computer programmers, and other highly accomplished professionals. Everyone—everyone!—said it was proper to use two spaces. Some people admitted to slipping sometimes and using a single space—but when writing something formal, they were always careful to use two. Others explained they mostly used a single space but felt guilty for violating the two-space "rule." Still others said they used two spaces all the time, and they were thrilled to be so proper.
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html

Does this not happen outside the US or the Anglosphere?

I never do it, and I hate it when my writers do it. It is one of my biggest copy editing pet peeves.

Why do you think there must be a full stop to this? To be fair, the period of one space is soon to be over, and our glorious two-space will be used in all spaces, without borders!

Two. Spaces. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom