Dumpster Fire Discussions

But again, how is this any different from, say, a tall cis person "choosing" to play basketball

part of the point from my earlier posts was that to some degree, sports are *generally* arbitrary with what they call fair vs not in their rules.

you could have no rules/restrictions, of course, with all of the tradeoffs that come with it. absent that, at least some of my previous post was intended to demonstrate some uncertainty with what "should" be done wrt who can and can't compete, even generally.

in other words, i'm not sure where lines should be drawn. inherently, high levels of sports are an arena where the average need not apply. hard work can beat talent, but it can't beat a combination of both talent + similarly hard work, and anything even sniffing at professional play or olympics will have both.

@TheMeInTeam What is it your fear will happen if trans women are allowed to compete with cis women?

what makes you think fear is involved in this discussion

i dislike bad process generally. trans participation with an advantage appears to be bad process if we care about fairness in sports. then after reading and discussing in this thread i was reminded that we (as in nation as a whole) probably don't actually care about fairness in sports as much as we'd like to let on. which made me more uncertain as to what "should" be allowed in sports even disregarding the primary topic, though that perception of that "should" informs the topic too.

Being an ally isn't like having a credit card. You don't earn points.

On what grounds do you take such a holier-than-thou stance? How much blood have you shed? Lets get a pipette and compare.

I'm not doubting what you've done outside of CFC, but what you're doing here is tone policing a known trans poster and assigning some pretty weighty rhetoric to her. And then you got upset when you were criticised in kind.

Utter balls. I, unfortunately, was at the ground zero of the feminism/ trans debate. Guardian articles and all. And I've never mentioned it on here. I asked for moderation in debate. So yeah, tone policing in the way every person with any relation to public discourse polices tone. Every teacher, every police officer, every politician, every journalist, every moderator. Everyone who wants functional public discourse.

Clearly, asking for a civilised debate it a terrible sin.

You're right. The argument you were having was unproductive. But it'll likely continue to be until you recognise your part in it.

? I wasn't having an argument. I was trying to pour oil on troubled waters. And again the hostile bulldroppings. I'm oppressing the LGBT community? I did let down the L's today, they invited me to go to Hastings Green Man, but I'm still getting over this covid nonsense. I'm confident of their white wine quaffing abilities in my absence. TBH one of them is Glaswegian. I'm not only confident in her white wine quaffing abilities, I'm terrified of it.

The conditional allyship thing is a bit rough as well. Try and work out why the marginalised poster that others have been winding up throughout might be in an uncharitable mood, instead of dangling your support above them until they meet some kind of behavioural criteria.

There is nothing conditional about my "allyship". I find that a really weird way of looking at the world. Somers Town when I grew up was designated as the most probable location of a race riot in the uk. There was nothing conditional about any "allegiance", and far too much time visiting intensive care.

Tony Benn said the world was divided into weathervanes and signposts. I'm a signpost. If you want to make that accusation, you'd want to back that up. Hate me for what I am, for uncountable flaws and sins, but that is nonsense.

Can be, often isn't. And even if you mean it neutrally, it still has heavily-gendered etymology. I'd respect the preferences of the person you're talking to, personally. Instead of characterising them as looking for a fight.

Dude just meant dude.

I've written the last sentence a half-dozen times. Too much about me, too aggressive, too philosophical, too passive.

In the end, sure, I don't know him. You dont know me.

If we settle at that and don't even try whats the point of this internet thing?

On what grounds do you take such a holier-than-thou stance? How much blood have you shed? Lets get a pipette and compare.
It's not a holier-than-thou stance. I'm not starting a "my credentials are bigger contest" (though you're doing a good job of trying to turn it into that, despite the fact I'd surely lose, insofar as it means anything). My point is that we're talking here on CFC. It doesn't matter one iota what you do outside of CFC, especially when you're throwing it around as heavily as you are all of a sudden.
Utter balls. I, unfortunately, was at the ground zero of the feminism/ trans debate. Guardian articles and all. And I've never mentioned it on here. I asked for moderation in debate. So yeah, tone policing in the way every person with any relation to public discourse polices tone. Every teacher, every police officer, every politician, every journalist, every moderator. Everyone who wants functional public discourse.

Clearly, asking for a civilised debate it a terrible sin.
Asking generally, to clear the air? Nothing wrong with that.

Getting mad at a trans poster because they're mad at something you haven't taken the time to understand? Yeah, sure, that's more on the "sin" side of things than not. Functional public discourse is left to the mods, right? The forum rules and all of that jazz.
? I wasn't having an argument. I was trying to pour oil on troubled waters. And again the hostile bulldroppings. I'm oppressing the LGBT community? I did let down the L's today, they invited me to go to Hastings Green Man, but I'm still getting over this covid nonsense. I'm confident of their white wine quaffing abilities in my absence. TBH one of them is Glaswegian. I'm not only confident in her white wine quaffing abilities, I'm terrified of it.
You're ignoring the matches, then. Lit matches, in some cases.

And I said nothing about oppression of any kind. You think you might want to, like, dial it back a bit? For someone with a real thing about functional debate, you really are being unnecessarily antagonistic.
There is nothing conditional about my "allyship". I find that a really weird way of looking at the world. Somers Town when I grew up was designated as the most probable location of a race riot in the uk. There was nothing conditional about any "allegiance", and far too much time visiting intensive care.

Tony Benn said the world was divided into weathervanes and signposts. I'm a signpost. If you want to make that accusation, you'd want to back that up. Hate me for what I am, for uncountable flaws and sins, but that is nonsense.
Again, I have no idea who you are in the real world, and I've already said I don't doubt your claims. When you're talking down to a trans person here (Cloud, to be clear), in the Dumpster Fire thread that has become CFC's 1,024th discussion on trans rights, talking about their tone and how they need to be acting . . . that's conditional allyship. When you talk about being "alienated" on a web forum despite repeatedly talking up your RL credentials and what you've seen, what you've been through. And what, a bit of harsh language on the Internet puts you off?

Do you see why I'd perhaps view that a bit critically? Assuming good faith all round, for the record.
Dude just meant dude.
Nobody here is psychic. But for the record, it's defined in the dictionary as informal North American for a guy; a man. This is an international forum, this isn't your drinking buddies. Nobody here knows exactly what informal slang you're going to trot out. And in a thread involving trans posters, if someone says they're not a dude, you should probably respect that.
I've written the last sentence a half-dozen times. Too much about me, too aggressive, too philosophical, too passive.
If it helps, I can relate to that.
In the end, sure, I don't know him. You dont know me.

If we settle at that and don't even try whats the point of this internet thing?
Cloud ain't a he. Or a him. I believe that was the entire point of her responding to "dude" the way she did, and why I attempted to explain it to you (fruitlessly, apparently).

Moderator Action: OK guys, time to move on from this line of conversation. Feel free to pm each other as much as you like. Thanks.

This seems worthwhile to post, as I don't think you have much idea what happens or doesn't happen because of testosterone or estrogen:

I or any layman would be hard pressed to give you hard facts about the process and advantages etc. incurred by puberty. I venture to guess that you'd fall into that category too. However I know of one study that is compiling info on that very subject and it concludes a substantial physical advantage is gained by a male who has completed puberty over a biological female.
https://jme.bmj.com/content/45/6/395

Also, here is an an experts opinion on the advantage held by males that have reassignment surgery.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...aten-fairness-in/id1461719225?i=1000522515770

"Any person with two eyes can see how puberty changes us"
"there is a 30 to 40 percent difference in strength difference from male to female..." taking testosterone suppressors only decreases this difference by around 5%.

Last edited:
I like that the piece actually has a considered point of view from a trans person. That happens so occasionally that it's akin to seeing a unicorn. Some fun stuff from the opposing participant, though (and the article is literally setup that way, I'm not trying to be antagonistic - both sets of replies are meant to illustrate two people that obviously don't agree on the topic, with a legal addendum from a third person).

Tucker said:
And again, they're taking places from women within the women's sports category
Here we see the usual bias shaping the inference that trans women aren't actually women.

And this gem:
The reality is that you cannot restore fairness by lowering testosterone, so therefore you either have to have fairness by exclusion of trans women or you must accept a degree of unfairness through the inclusion of trans women.
Except that it isn't fairness to exclude people. The inclusion of trans women is framed as unfair by default, and excluding them isn't even framed - it's literally declared - as fairness.

And this gem:

Except that it isn't fairness to exclude people.
Isn't excluding men from the competition the entire point and root of existence of the "women" category in sports to begin with ?

Isn't excluding men from the competition the entire point and root of existence of the "women" category in sports to begin with ?
The piece talks about this. I'd summarise it but I'm on mobile. It's lengthy, but I recommend giving it a read.

Letting folks like Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps complete was probably unfair. Both prevented many others the chance to win because they had particular advantages others didn't. :p

So, just so I have this straight, anyone feel free to tell me whether I'm wrong or right here: trans women can't compete in women's sports because they go through male puberty, but, giving trans girls puberty blockers so that they don't undergo male puberty is disgusting child abuse/grooming?

Is that about right?

I already did.
Back at the PC now - what about Harper's points under "Should transgender women be banned from women's sport?" and "Should there be a separate category for transgender athletes?" don't answer your question? It seems a bit redundant for me to quote multiple paragraphs from the article, so I figured it'd be easier to just point at the relevant sections.

Of note, Tucker's comments throughout completely (and indeed, the direction of the piece) fails to mention trans men at all. In a discussion about "fairness", the unfairness apparently only ever matters when discussing cis women athletes. There's very little discussion over the unfairness trans men have to deal with, however minor or major it may be, and very little discussion over the unfairness of excluding trans women. Or the harm done to cis women with high testosterone levels (whereas, as noted, athletes like Phelps enjoyed a successful and lucrative career).

But, for the BBC, it's actually an attempt at a balanced piece. It's depressing that the bar is that low in UK media, but hey.

Back at the PC now - what about Harper's points under "Should transgender women be banned from women's sport?" and "Should there be a separate category for transgender athletes?" don't answer your question? It seems a bit redundant for me to quote multiple paragraphs from the article, so I figured it'd be easier to just point at the relevant sections.
They have their own reasons to accept or refuse trans athlete from the women group. But that was not what I was answering to, I was just pointing that you say "exclusion isn't fairness", while women sports is based on excluding men. It was more about your opinion on women's sports very existence than about accepting/refusing trans athlete in them.

They have their own reasons to accept or refuse trans athlete from the women group. But that was not what I was answering to, I was just pointing that you say "exclusion isn't fairness", while women sports is based on excluding men. It was more about your opinion on women's sports very existence than about accepting/refusing trans athlete in them.
This is a repeat of an earlier discussion I think others have already had, but excluding men isn't denying them the ability to compete. Excluding trans women would, because as the article makes a case for, a separate trans category simply wouldn't be sustainable.

If I may offer a poor analogy, it's like saying "you can't share a room, but here's another room" vs. "you can't share a room, but you also can't stay in any other room".

Isn't anyone who wants to free to compete in what we refer to as "men's sports"? It seems like there's one category anyone can compete in, & a second category only women can can compete in. Not trying to weigh in on the topic really, just trying to clarify the categories of competition?

EDIT: Like when Michelle Wie played in The Masters Golf tournament (I may have the tournament wrong) - there was nothing stopping her from competing, if she chose to, right?

Isn't anyone who wants to free to compete in what we refer to as "men's sports"? It seems like there's one category anyone can compete in, & a second category only women can can compete in. Not trying to weigh in on the topic really, just trying to clarify the categories of competition?

EDIT: Like when Michelle Wie played in The Masters Golf tournament (I may have the tournament wrong) - there was nothing stopping her from competing, if she chose to, right?
Let's assume this is completely true and there are no instances of women not being allowed to participate. There are, but that's not the point.

The point is men still have a space to compete.

This is a repeat of an earlier discussion I think others have already had, but excluding men isn't denying them the ability to compete. Excluding trans women would, because as the article makes a case for, a separate trans category simply wouldn't be sustainable.

If I may offer a poor analogy, it's like saying "you can't share a room, but here's another room" vs. "you can't share a room, but you also can't stay in any other room".
Again, I don't see how your answer is relevant to what I was asking.

"It was more about your opinion on women's sports very existence than about accepting/refusing trans athlete in them."

Again, I don't see how your answer is relevant to what I was asking.

"It was more about your opinion on women's sports very existence than about accepting/refusing trans athlete in them."
You were talking about the fairness of exclusion as men are excluded from women's sports, I was answering that while also citing the article. Beyond that, I'm a bit lost.

Trans women don't threaten the existence of women's sports

Top Bottom