• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Dungeon Adventure MOD MOD

If you don't mind me asking, how much more work is left to be done before a playable version, Lutefisk?

And will the modmod have all the units used in FfH availiable to make a scenario from (if they can't be spawned, that is)?

no probs, ill try rig it up to something suitable... do elephants attack with their trunks at all?

They butt with their heads which might look odd.

You might be able to make it look decent using Cannons or Battleships. The gun motion of jumping back, then moving forward would be better if turned around, but at least it is fairly appropriate. I think that a Battleship might have seperate motion rates for a few volleys so that not all heads move at the same time...

This might be useful in the endeavor.

If you don't mind me asking, how much more work is left to be done before a playable version, Lutefisk?

And will the modmod have all the units used in FfH availiable to make a scenario from (if they can't be spawned, that is)?

I don't mind you asking!

The answer is: lots.

There is still much work to do on the tech tree. I am having some difficulty making a good one, I confess. I can build it just fine, but it is looking very wide and not very deep. I need to improve that somehow!

Religions and guilds haven't even been touched. I also still need to complete the conversion of bonuses to "portable" forms.

I have gotten the "stake a claim" function to work, but need to complement this with an auto linking function for routes. I plan to just wipe the visual aspects of roads, and rename them to "surveyed" or something like that. A tile will automatically become "surveyed" whenever a special unit (Dungeoneer) moves onto it. The Dungeoneer unit will be like a combination of engineer and worker.

The combination of claims and surveying will make it possible for the campsite to get the benefits of non-portable resources that are outside the campsite's cultural zone.

There is also a lot of work to be done in stripping the XML of references to things that aren't being used by the mod. The FfH2 core that I am building off of is rich in details and complexity. This is great for flexibility, but makes it harder to "sanitize."

Finally, it is a given that the AI in this mod will not present a challenge to the player. At least, not in the first release.

As far as FfH2 units: Most of them should stay available through WorldBuilder, even if they do not naturally appear in the game.

Release date: Sorry, can't commit to one right now. If this was a real job for me, I could better predict -- but I only get to work on this in random spurts!

I'd be willing to help myself in any way (you can tell how much I want to play it :p), but, well... Look at my sig :)

well, most of us would be happy to just test this, it doesn't have to be a full release. For a beta, who cares about things like tech trees or religions, as long as you can walk around it's fine :p

well, most of us would be happy to just test this, it doesn't have to be a full release. For a beta, who cares about things like tech trees or religions, as long as you can walk around it's fine

Agreed :D:D

A wide, but not deep tech tree actually sounds best IMO. Lots of differentiation early on and not so much to research along individual lines since the game is supposed to be short. I wouldn't think you'd need more than 4-5 tiers.

Hi All -

Real Life has been an exhausting drag lately, so I have not made much progress on the mod. I feel obligated to give everyone their weekly fix, though, so I am posting a new video clip.

This clip first shows a unit hitting a one-tile mechanical trap. (Nothing new, I have shown that before.) The unit then uses the "stake claim" function, which plants the player flag on the tile. In the next turn, you see that it generates a zone of cultural claim around the flag. The unit then goes on to look at a treasure chest -- and in doing so, the player uses the 360 degree camera to get a better angle. On the final zoom-out, you can see that the "claimed" area is faintly filled with the players culture color.

Clip can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OI1BAPtwDA

In addition to Real Life irritation, the mod is getting coy on me.

After doing absolutely nothing to the mod for a few days, when I went to load it up again, I got a CTD before it even loaded. Even going through regular BTS and loading it through the "Load A Mod" path results in the same thing. I finally got it to work again by starting a regular game of BTS, exiting to the main screen, and then loading the Dungeon Adventure mod.

Afterward, even after having just been playing the D.A. mod, when tried my regular shortcut to start D.A. -- CTD again!

What. On. Earth. Is. Going. On. Some goofiness with XML caching?

Anyone have suggestions? This mod is going to get extremely difficult for me to work on if I have to go through such an indirect song and dance to load the mod and check changes. Meh.

EDIT: It seems to crash on the "Check XML" section of loading. Suggestions?

Disable the XML caching (if you haven't already)?

Disable the XML caching (if you haven't already)?

...and so the gaps in my knowledge are made obvious once again. I searched the fora on "disable xml caching" and got nothing. How does one do this? Is it an entry in the config file?

Is it this one?

; Disable caching of xml and file system (may slow initialization)
DisableCaching = 0

Switched from 0 to 1?

That didn't seem to help. I still get the choke on load, and Vista gives me this oh so helpful message:

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA62D.tmp.version.txt
C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\WERB4AF.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\WERB8A6.tmp.mdmp

The actual temp files vary from try to try.

Hi All -

Real Life has been an exhausting drag lately, so I have not made much progress on the mod. I feel obligated to give everyone their weekly fix, though, so I am posting a new video clip.

This clip first shows a unit hitting a one-tile mechanical trap. (Nothing new, I have shown that before.) The unit then uses the "stake claim" function, which plants the player flag on the tile. In the next turn, you see that it generates a zone of cultural claim around the flag. The unit then goes on to look at a treasure chest -- and in doing so, the player uses the 360 degree camera to get a better angle. On the final zoom-out, you can see that the "claimed" area is faintly filled with the players culture color.

Clip can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OI1BAPtwDA

This looks sooo awesome. can´t wait to see this mod in action!

...and so the gaps in my knowledge are made obvious once again. I searched the fora on "disable xml caching" and got nothing. How does one do this? Is it an entry in the config file?

Is it this one?

Switched from 0 to 1?
That was the one I was thinking of, yeah - probably best to turn it off when you're modding anyhow I'dve thought.

Have you tried taking out the CivIV disc and reinserting it? Sometimes I have stretches where BtS or FFH2 crashes repeatedly during loading and that seems to fix it. I have no idea why, but it does.

Have you tried taking out the CivIV disc and reinserting it? Sometimes I have stretches where BtS or FFH2 crashes repeatedly during loading and that seems to fix it. I have no idea why, but it does.

And oddly enough, that did fix it. Thank you, Arctem!

So.....

assuming that I decide to do a pre-alpha release of DA, where in the world do I host a .97 GB file?

I'm sure it will zip down some, and maybe rePAKing the assets would help, but still... that's a honking big file!

I'd love to have this in a self-extracting / installer program format, but I don't know how to do that.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Zips down to about 600 MB.

Top Bottom