• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Dungeon Adventure MOD MOD

Installed the two files Kael suggested in the other thread -- still no luck.

My game works fine... Until I end the first turn (of the demo-save). Every time I do so, it crashes. Any idea what's causing this, or am I just (un)lucky?

Just out of curiosity, Arctem, try starting a new arboria dual size map game and see what happens. The map will be total garbage, but I'd be interested to see if it still crashes after turn 1.

But at least you got to see the game, right?

I tried methodically documenting which combinations of start up work and which don't.

I found something interesting.

If I am totally out of Civ, just on the desktop view, I can do the following and it works:

1. Pop out the Civ4 BTS CDROM.
2. Immediately pop it back in.
3. when the autorun dialog pop up appears, click on the "run autorun.exe" link.
4. In the autorun pop up hit "Play."
5. When vanilla BTS starts up, from the main menu click on "advanced."
6. Then click on "load a mod."
7. Select "adventure" and hit "go."

Loads right up, no problem. I have done this 6 times in a row now.

Is that weird or what?

Just out of curiosity, Arctem, try starting a new arboria dual size map game and see what happens. The map will be total garbage, but I'd be interested to see if it still crashes after turn 1.

But at least you got to see the game, right?

When I loaded up the random map, it worked fine (and actually looked awesome, except for the random doors). I then loaded up the demo-save again, and it magically worked! At least until I got in a fight with a group of spiders and it crashed... I have no idea if the fight caused the crash or not.

Anyway, one thing I did notice in my short play time: you might want to reduce the cost of an adventurer upgrading to warrior/adept/etc. to 0, since adventurers aren't powerful enough to be able to easily grab the gold needed for the upgrade. Later upgrades could have a cost, since by then you should be able to pay for it, or are at least capable of earning the money (or will be able to in the final game, didn't notice too many chests in the demo).

edit: I have XP, by the way (at least until I get my new computer:D).

So I took some time to transfer everything to my older (and, alas, slower) computer that has XP 32 installed instead of Vista 64.

Everything. Civ 4 plus patch. BTS plus patch. All of the Adventure mod folder (managed to zip it and get it all on one CDROM). Put in the fixes suggested above by Vehem.

End result?

It loads slower than *ell, but it works fine. No load errors!

I will continue to fact check this, but it is looking suspiciously like a Vista issue.

So I am seriously considering downgrading to XP 32 on my current rig. Seriously.

So I took some time to transfer everything to my older (and, alas, slower) computer that has XP 32 installed instead of Vista 64.

Everything. Civ 4 plus patch. BTS plus patch. All of the Adventure mod folder (managed to zip it and get it all on one CDROM). Put in the fixes suggested above by Vehem.

End result?

It loads slower than *ell, but it works fine. No load errors!

I will continue to fact check this, but it is looking suspiciously like a Vista issue.

So I am seriously considering downgrading to XP 32 on my current rig. Seriously.

Yeah, mine has a horrible load time as well in XP32 (it can take a minute or two for the game loading screen to pop up, which takes another minute before moving on to the saved game loading screen, which is usually about 30 seconds). I'm guessing that the issue is more the 64-bit part rather than Vista itself (though we all know how many issues it has), since I've heard repeatedly that it has problems running software made for a 32-bit OS. If anyone has Vista32, try it on that, and see whether or not my theory holds up.

All these Vista issues make me nervous about my new comp... Maybe I should dual-boot Vista and XP. XP for Civ, Vista for everything else.

The load time is fixable. Right now the mod defaults to not caching any files or xml at all. Also, most of the art is unPAKed. Once there is a stable version that is playable, I'll rePAK the PAK file and restore memory mapping for PAKs and some caching. That will speed up those load times significantly. :)

On another note, I too would be interested if people with Vista 32 are having problems.

Michelle Castle said:
Most programs designed for Windows XP should run in Windows Vista, but some may not run properly or at all. If you're unable to get a program to run in Windows Vista, you can try running it in compatibility mode. Follow these steps:

1. Right-click on the item's shortcut. Click Properties.
2. Click on the Compatibility tab.
3. Check the Run this program in compatibility mode for box and select the version of Windows the program was designed for from the list. If you're unsure what the program was designed for, try Windows XP (Service Pack 2).
4. Click OK

Try running the program again. If you're still unable to use the program, experiment with the other options on the Compatibility tab or run the Compatibility Wizard (see Windows Help and Support for more info).

well i found this little tid bit in google, and thought "great! i can try run it in XP and it will work!"

no such luck :( maybe someone else will have better luck?

I'm having a problem with the demo map, as soon as it starts to load my game crashes.

FB, are you using Vista or XP? 32 bit or 64? We are trying to isolate the problems.

If the demo game that crashes, try starting a new game. The map will look totally crazy, but give it a try and see if you can go through a number of turns without crashing.

It occurs to me that if one were to re-write the creation mapscript ever so slightly, it would produce quite lovely dungeon maps. Just get the part about the mountain ranges to form valleys changed to instead place walls, and the part for ensuring an opening exists to connect valleys to instead place a door.

I reckon I'd call that an upgrade, personally :) - apart from the 64-bit to 32, anyway I guess.

But -- it would be really nice to get this to work on Vista. Otherwise, there isn't much point in pursuing the mod further, is there?

Oh well, perhaps the FfH2 team can pick through the corpse of my attempted mod and glean something useful. Meh.

:( [feels sorry for self]

Oops. I forgot the save game and started playing a random map. Doors leading to ice and water are funny.

I didn't want to dangle hope since I might not succeed, but you could try using the WoC/FfH merge as a base. I know they have fixed numerous Vista issues, and this might be one of them.

But I am not anywhere near done with the merge at this point :(

Top Bottom