• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Dungeon Adventure MOD MOD

Worked fine for me from the save. Not much to do other than see the premade map, but tons of potential. Techs are a tad bit overpriced and there is way too much stuff to build in your camp, but it's a fine start.

Oops. I forgot the save game and started playing a random map. Doors leading to ice and water are funny.

Yes, I was just too lazy to change the terrain bools at this point, so they spawn on water for random maps!

Good to see you can get the load game to work. Yes, techs are overpriced. To play with the few things that the later techs can do, just award them through WB. Also, at this point, all of the buildings are buildable, because I just removed the old FfH2 tech reqs from them. At some point, I will do for buildings and rituals what I did for units: give most of them TECH_NEVER until they get placed into the new tech tree.

@P_L: Never fear, I don't plan to give up.

But this Vista silliness is going to be priority until it gets identified and fixed. Can you imagine what it has been like to have to try to load the mod about 6-10 times before succeeding EVERY time I need to check progress on modding?

:eek: :cry:

FWIW, uninstalling Civ4 and BTS and doing a fresh reinstall (with all relevant patches) does not resolve the Vista problem. I was starting to hope this was a file corruption problem, but it doesn't look like it.

Also, now that I've used it more, the disk removal trick doesn't work all of the time either. I am still puzzled why trying different combinations of start up -- but rarely exactly the same sequence twice in a row -- seems to result in a successful load. The mod should either work or not, right?

im glad your not gonna give up hang in there mate, and yes i can imagine what its like because ive had similar problems with the Warhammer mod, but mine was due to completley stuffing up the XML. i wound up rewriting the entire thing...

so, just to clarify this IS a vista issue, is anyone running XP or another OS that has these loading errors?

I am running Vista and it worked. I might have different admin settings than LM though.

I am running Vista and it worked. I might have different admin settings than LM though.

Woodelf, which version of Vista do you have? I have Vista Ultimate 64.

Also, what sorts of changes from default admin setting have you made? Maybe they would work for me, too? I have already disabled UAC. I also changed the security settings on all of the Civ4 and BTS files to grant all permisssions to everyone.

Is there anything else you would recommend doing?

Thanks!

so, just to clarify this IS a vista issue, is anyone running XP or another OS that has these loading errors?

My own experience is that Vista Ultimate 64 is dodgy no matter what I do.

But XP Professional, on my old computer, has had no problems. The mod loads like snail snot: Slick, but sloooow. :)

I get an 'error on page' message when I try to download Adventurer 2. I open the hosting site, click on the download from primary, and it just links me back to the page...:mad:

EDIT: Never mind :)

any luck on this lutefisk?

PL, have you tried the multiple load death march method that I described earlier in the thread?

Try to load with the shortcut. Then start regular BTS, and try to "load a mod." Then start regular BTS, start a regular vanilla game, exit to main menu and try to "load a mod." If that doesn't work, start BTS, start a vanilla game, and then exit the game to desktop, and try the shortcut again.

By trying random combinations of successive load combos, I can get the game to work.... eventually. But I haven't found one surefire, "works every time" combination.

Please let me know if you can get it to work at all.

I would really like to know whay the exact same files work fine on my XP machine but get hopelessly borked on Vista.

Is there anyone else who has downloaded this and tried it? Is it working on other XP rigs? Not working on other Vista rigs?

I was kind of hoping for some willing guinea pigs to help diagnose the problem. A lack of data points makes it hard to do that.

Well, right after I posted the above response to PL, I tried this:

Find the shortcut in the DA mod folder.

Right click and select "properties."

Then:

1. On the "shortcut" tab, click on "advanced," and then tick the box that says "run as administrator."

2. On the "compatibility" tab, set the options to run in compatibility mode for "Windows XP (service pack 2)."

3. On the "security" tab, grant all permissions to all users.

Apply all changes and hit "okay."

Then try to use the shortcut to start DA. It is working so far for me, but I am going to continue to test it for a while before relying on it.

Please let me know if this helps anyone else.

Is there anyone else who has downloaded this and tried it? Is it working on other XP rigs? Not working on other Vista rigs?

Last I checked it works fairly well on my XP comp. It crashed a few times, but no more than vanilla FFH2, and I think that a now-deleted virus may have been causing the crashes. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test Adventure since deleting it (though FFH2 works well, so I'm hopeful), since I only got all of my computers cured of viruses this morning. My laptop was unusable for more than a minute at a time due to hundreds of popups appearing, and the gaming (if it deserves to be called that. Only 512MB RAM and a 64MB GPU) desktop randomly crashed programs for seemingly no reason.

Beyond the Sword Mods:

Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

Vista is to blame.

i accodentally deleted the shortcut in the mods folder, can you either tell me how to make a new one or upload it individually? i dont feel like downloading the whole thing again...

nice haiku btw, hits the issue right on the nose :p

PL: I can do that. I tried to upload a shortcut by itself, and of course the entire .exe it refers to started to upload instead. Duh. I'll upload a zipped version soon.

and more Haiku:

Vista says to me:

Unauthorized User! But...

I AM the user!

----------

I say to Vista:

"You work for me," but I hear

digital snickers.

----------

Top Bottom