Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

TheMeInTeam

If A implies B...
Last thread on this game is > 6 years old. I was badgered into playing this recently and over the past month it's been a fantastic time sink. Took a while to start winning, I'm up to 5 wins now.

As far as roguelikes go this one is pretty brutal in difficulty. Even with end game strength small mistakes can kill you, and a single game takes hours. That said, it's also rewarding and the really good players have high win rates similar to FTL (unlike DCSS, I have enough experience + recent winrate on hard in FTL to consider myself good).

The online version has a graphical interface now. Those who pine for animations won't enjoy it, but the decision making/gameplay is really sound. Worth a look for anybody who enjoys roguelike games or are just looking for practice in fighting against hubris :p.

So i played this today. And i have to say, im terrible at it :lol:

I seem to be doing ok, and then i die for some stupid reason. I quite like it though. In a strange way it sort of reminds me of a game i used to play endlessly at school (as it was one of the only games that worked on acorn PC's - remember those???). This is way more complex of course. But the game im thinking of is chips challenge - anyone remember that old beauty? I have to say though that graphically chips challenge was ahead of dungeon crawl stone soup (unless im missing something). Even that had basic animation (i.e. the enemies moved in a very pixellated and disjointeed way).

Last edited:
Next challenge is to get it to work at work - then im set. All i need then is one of those things that discuise what im really doing on my screen and im set :goodjob:

So i played this today. And i have to say, im terrible at it :lol:

I seem to be doing ok, and then i die for some stupid reason. I quite like it though. In a strange way it sort of reminds me of a game i used to play endlessly at school (as it was one of the only games that worked on acorn PC's - remember those???). This is way more complex of course. But the game im thinking of is chips challenge - anyone remember that old beauty? I have to say though that graphically chips challenge was ahead of dungeon crawl stone soup (unless im missing something). Even that had basic animation (i.e. the enemies moved in a very pixellated and disjointeed way).

It took me a few weeks of playing on and off to get my first win, though I was going against recommendations and spamming games picking mummy. Dungeon crawl is pretty unforgiving as far as roguelikes go.

I remember chip's challenge, yes, got quite far in computer lab in high school though I forget exactly the level.

I think rogue likes are my new favourite genre actually. Darkest dungeon, FTL, and slay the spire are my most played titles at the moment.

I think rogue likes are my new favourite genre actually. Darkest dungeon, FTL, and slay the spire are my most played titles at the moment.

I'm a huge fan of FTL too. > 80% winrate over the last 30+ games on hard. I still need to finish the stream series. I've done all of the A ships except crystal, and Kestrel through Zoltan B. Only two losses in the series so far, a bad user-error choke in 1st Fed B attempt and a sector 1 RNG loss in Engi B.

I'm not looking forward to the trash can that is stealth B, or early scout fights in Mantis B (not difficult but they take forever).

Top Bottom