[C3C] Earth Fantasy Mod(EFM)

Hi @Civinator ,

How can I remedy the bug of making elves not choose the first generation development of dark elves(or vice versa)?

When I accept the technical development automatically offered by the game that the machine chooses, so I don't select the desired technical development in the development tree, it usually chooses Bestarium independently as the first knowledge to be developed, which is an early medieval, that's not a problem...
EFM142_science-automatic1.jpg
...but as a second development, however, it offers the prehistoric scientific development of the dark elves, which is not, in principle, necessary for scientific advancement. This is already a bug.
EFM142_science-automatic-2-night.jpg
This problem can even affect the orc-dark orc pair because they share their first known knowledge like elves and dark elves.
EFM142_science-automatic-basic.jpg
I set everything up as it is in the Discovery Age campaign:
EFM142_science-editor-1.jpg EFM142_science-editor-night.jpg

This thing worries me because then the AI can science develop that is not a basic requirement! Or the other group has access to governments that they shouldn't.

Can You suggest a solution to fix this bug?

I started to graphically make the arrows of the scientific development tree. I was done with the first two eras, which will be available in patch 1.42

Age of Species....
EFM142_science-automatic-basic.jpg

Early Middle Ages:
EFM142_science-automatic-middle.jpg

How can I remedy the bug of making elves not choose the first generation development of dark elves(or vice versa)?
If you want the Elves and Dark Elves to follow only their own branches of the all-optional first-Age tech-tree, you first need to give each race a different/ unique combination of "Era=None" starting techs, e.g. "Being Elvish" (both/all Elvish species) + "Being Good" (Elves only) OR "Being Evil" (Dark Elves only) — which you have already done, IIRC?

To separate the good/evil Elvish tech-lines from each other — and also from the good/evil Human, Dwarvish, Orcish, etc. tech-lines — you would then use none, one, both, or all(?) of those starting-techs as prereqs for the respective "neutral" techs (no prereqs, available to all), species-specific, and/or good/evil-specific techs. Any subsequent branches from those techs should then only be visible to a species which could see the branch-point tech.

When techs are thus made available only to specific races, that also means that you can potentially use the same X,Y co-ordinates for more than one 'branch/twig' tech-box, since in-game, you (and the AI) will only see the techs that you can research (or trade for, but I would assume you'd make the species-specific techs untradeable anyway?). This can make tech-tree screens a lot less cluttered/ cramped (although the arrows will always be visible, so some might appear to lead nowhere).

And I believe that each race moves to the second age once it has researched all the techs that are available to it (i.e. those it can 'see'). So if you want the AI to research all those basic techs before they start on the second age techs), I believe you could then actually make all the first-age techs non-optional.

IIRC, @Vuldacon used a similar system to separate the "Human" and "Zombie" tech-lines (over multiple ages) in his Escape From Zombie Island mods, so he would know for sure.

But even if I'm wrong, and 1st-age techs must all be optional to allow the AIs (and the human player) to exit the first age, then if you want the AI to generally research all the (optional) 1st-age techs before they start on any of the (obligatory) 2nd-age techs, then you need to make all the 1st-age techs more attractive as research-targets than all the 2nd-age techs (or at least the first tier of the 2nd-age techs): i.e. significantly cheaper, and/or unlocking more units/ buildings/ resources/ worker-abilities/ governments, etc.

If you haven't already read it(?), this article/thread might be helpful:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/what-will-the-ai-research-next.45559/

See also here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/manipulating-ai-tech-research.657856/

...and here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/experiences-with-flavors.192397/

Last edited:
Hi @tjs282

To separate the good/evil Elvish tech-lines from each other — and also from the good/evil Human, Dwarvish, Orcish, etc. tech-lines — you would then use none, one, both, or all(?) of those starting-techs as prereqs for the respective "neutral" techs (no prereqs, available to all), species-specific, and/or good/evil-specific techs. Any subsequent branches from those techs should then only be visible to a species which could see the branch-point tech.

This part of the way works, except for those two groups of pairs giving cause for thought(elf-dark elf and orc-dark orc).

And I believe that each race moves to the second age once it has researched all the techs that are available to it (i.e. those it can 'see'). So if you want the AI to research all those basic techs before they start on the second age techs), I believe you could then actually make all the first-age techs non-optional.

In the development trees of the first period it was set:"Not Required for Era Advancement" For some reason, where it branches into two, the game wants to develop that branch without which it can start the next age.
I will try some options. In the most extreme case, I duplicate the starting files and place them on top of each other so that only a given species can use them.

The Age of Discovery works in an epic campaign, though there all civilizations are familiar with the particular initial technology from which the nativ and Mesoamerican peoples further develop their unique developments.

If you haven't already read it(?), this article/thread might be helpful:
I thanks for the shared links, I'll be reviewing soon.

HI All,

Is it normal that this setting does not appear? Unfortunately, this epic gameplay also looks that way.
The confusing thing is that there is no setting button next to it:
reserve_capture_EFM.jpg

What do I need to set for the button to work?
@Civinator has written about this before, but I don’t have much time to look back.

Attachments

• reserve capture the flag-bug.jpg
    reserve capture the flag-bug.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 60
New _Earth_Fantasy_Mod_Beta1.42_patch.zip available.
patch information:

The graphic background for the development tree(science advisors) is ready:
science_ancient.pcx
science_middle.pcx
science_industrial.pcx
science_industrial_new.pcx
science_modern.pcx
I made a new victory picture display:
x_victory.pcx
I changed some settings in the Earth fantasy Beta 1.42.biq file
the labels.txt, Civilopedia.txt and PediaIcons.txt files have also changed.

Last edited:
I'm not planning many changes in this mod(EFM) anymore, if everything is fine with it, even minor errors will disappear then I will finalize. I plan to add another map next to the base map (biq) in the second the goal will be to get the flags (based on the capture the king).

I another idea is to put in a civilization led by a dark mage instead of one of the dwarf civilizations.

These are already the direct antecedents of the final mod.

I want to rewrite diplomacy a bit to fit the style for EFM, because that’s the communication of the base game.

I started rewriting it and I thought of something like that:
01RACE_Irionien
I am $AI0, I'm speaking to you in the sound of sweet water. The people of the forests greet you.
02RACE_Londoriath
The power of the ancients is immense, I am $AI0 the proud elf. I greet you on behalf of the $CIVNAME1 people.
03RACE_Athoriduin
May the harmony of nature be with you, I am $AI0 from the people of the elves.
04RACE_Penadirinor
I am the possessor of vast and ancient knowledge, I $AI. I came from the most powerful $CIVNAME1 people, greetings.
05RACE_Vallerinor
$AI0 I'm the dark elf. With the supremacy of knowledge, I greet you.
06RACE_Venas_Eren
Surely you have heard of the holders of ancient knowledge about dark elves. I am $AI0 Ruler of $CIVNAME1, guardian of ancient knowledge.
07RACE_Muzga-modroght
Grr, Uhug, I'm $AI0, slaves keeper...
08RACE_Ufthash-Balcmauh
Raw power is my friend, I am $AI0 with the power of orcs from $CIVNAME1 horde!
09RACE_Snaga-Orcol
I am $AI0, from the $CIVNAME1 horde of orc, greeting you. Do you have a strong army that can resist my slave hunters?
10RACE_Ghash_Sharku
I am $AI0 from the awesome $CIVNAME1 horde, I greet you with the power of dark magic.
11RACE_Burzum-Snakhagr
I am $AI0, offspring of dragons, leader of dark orcs from the horde of $CIVNAME1!
12RACE_Ghash_Nazgar-goblin
I $AI0, I am goblin leader, treasurer of the $CIVNAME1 species.
13RACE_Bunargath
I am $AI0, the dwarf I came from the Golden Mountains. Greetings.
14RACE_Naruktharbh
I am $AI0, Lord of Frosty lands, Ore Maker, Guardian of Treasures. I came from the hard-working $CIVNAME1 dwarf clan.
15RACE_Khazirakz
Greetings, I am $AI0 king of the mountains. I came from the dwarf people of $CIVNAME1.
...and so on

New _Earth_Fantasy_Mod_Beta1.43_patch.zip available.
patch information:

-Repairs on the development tree:
science_middle.pcx
science_industrial.pcx
science_industrial_new.pcx
science_modern.pcx
-Earth fantasy Beta 1.43.biq file changes:
-Renamed: from burglar to master burglar
-The need for strategic resources for burglars and thieves has changed:
Master Burglar(formerly its name: Burglar, Wonder produces)
Burglar (you will need a silver instead of gold)
Thief I (requires gold)
Thief II (you will need an emerald instead of gold)
Thief III (you will need a sapphire instead of gold)
Thief IV (you will need a ruby instead of gold)
Thief V (you will need a diamond instead of gold)
-Development tree changed:
The Wheel has become a scientific prerequisite for the Tavern.
The location of some combat units and buildings has changed in development tree.
-Text folder changes:
Civilopedia.txt
labels.txt
PediaIcons.txt
script.txt

Last edited:
Hi All,
I test the my game mod when I have some time. It wasn’t the first time I noticed that the game crashes due to a unit.
The zombie elephant unit is causing the error. I wanted to switch production to zombie elephant instead of dread knight so the game froze.
Has anyone other than me experienced this error?

In the readme folder, I would reference the following names, if for no other reason, to indicate the error:
@Vuldacon, @Micaelus, @Steph, @Utahjazz, @Moeniir
I hope one of them knows the answer and is still active on this forum.

Attached I will also send a backup, if we switch production in one of the cities the game will crash

Attachments

• zombie-elephant-bug.jpg
    zombie-elephant-bug.jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Phaxxeggox of the Ozuumus Zombies, 1215 AD.SAV
    475.6 KB · Views: 53
The zombie elephant unit is causing the error.
Error parameters:
zombie-elephant-bug-parameters.jpg

I uploaded the latest patch to work with the SAV file:
New _Earth_Fantasy_Mod_Beta1.44_patch.zip available.
patch information:
-I started Adding unit sounds started, those units got sounds that malfunctioned or no sound was set. These units received sound:
Bear, Black Widow, Ent, Linx spider, Minotaur, Minotaur King, Spitting spider, wolf spider and Wywern.
-I started to tailor diplomacy to the game, it will change according to the diplomacy of the epic game.
-I had to change some elements of the development tree in the biq file setup because the elf-dark elf and orc-dark orc-goblin groups tended to develop each other’s scientific development, which would not be a requirement. I tried several solutions to the problem, in the end the doubled first development seems to work (Ancients and Invasion).

Last edited:
I wanted to switch production to zombie elephant instead of dread knight so the game froze.

Can it be, that the error isn´t in the unit (animations and INI file), but in a wrong setting of that unit you have done in the biq and/or pediaIcons file
(both entries !) ? :think: When you switch production, in your screenshot, the unit is not appearing on the map the next turn. When producing that ZE, it seems, the game is looking for something it cannot find.

Hi @Fortis1
When I wanted to build that unit then it happened! It has happened a few times already, so I think.
The question is which part is causing the error! The ini file or something else?

Try spawning the unit in the debug mod. I know, that wrong palette can make a unit crush in a similar way, but I strongly doubt that that's the case.

Hi All,
I looked at the ini file yesterday and I found the source of the bug.
The Zombie Elephant.INI file was faulty, different from other ini files.

I think this was the cause of the error (highlighted in red):

[Speed]
Normal Speed=225
Fast Speed=225

[Animations]
BLANK=
DEFAULT=
WALK=
RUN=run.flc
ATTACK1=AttackA.flc
ATTACK2=AttackB.flc
ATTACK3=
DEFEND=
DEATH=death.flc
DEAD=
FORTIFY=fortify.flc
FORTIFYHOLD=
FIDGET=default.flc
VICTORY=fortify.flc
TURNLEFT=
TURNRIGHT=
BUILD=
ROAD=
MINE=
IRRIGATE=
FORTRESS=
CAPTURE=

STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
PauseROAD=
PauseMINE=
PauseIRRIGATE=

Can it be, that the error isn´t in the unit (animations and INI file), but in a wrong setting of that unit you have done in the biq and/or pediaIcons file
(both entries !) ? :think: When you switch production, in your screenshot, the unit is not appearing on the map the next turn. When producing that ZE, it seems, the game is looking for something it cannot find.
Hi @Civinator
I also checked the settings of the unit in the pediaion txt file, if the faulty one usually exits differently.
Bottom line now works. ;)

Here is the latest patch that already includes a well-functioning zombie elephant unit:

New _Earth_Fantasy_Mod_Beta1.44A_patch.zip available.

Last edited:
Top Bottom