1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

El-J 03 ~ Going Rogue, AoI Style

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by El Justo, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

Lurker comment: I wouldn't land a single unit onto the English Isles until you've bombarded every last unit in the city to one bar of health. Obviously, the majority of the counter-attacks are going to be coming from London. I grant that that would take a truly massive fleet, but that will save a lot of your units.

2. Adler17

Adler17 Prussian Feldmarschall

I totally agree!

Adler

3. IvanDolvich2

IvanDolvich2 Order of Lenin

Ok, (guilty confession) :hide:... ulp...:blush:

So for my own edification, I decided to try an alternate history variation. I reloaded the wk 29 autosave and made an English landing the Top European priority to see what would happen. My idea was to play an alternate timeline then maybe post the results after the conclusion of the game.

I will give no spoilers.

As far as your question, I think that as I said Earlier, for Style points it would be awesome. It was one of the early goals of the team. I felt a kind of let-down when the goals were changed because the cost seemed prohibitive. We are a world-dominating empire, and we are held up by some puny British Islanders?:lol:

However, in this turnset, you may have to wait for another opportunity. The majority of strong units have been committed to Attacks elsewhere and a landing at this point would be understrength. During my turnset, I did notice uncovered tiles in GB 2 or 3 times, so its not out of the question that it will happen again.

So my input, don't fracture the team to tackle this, but for style points it would be awesome.:goodjob:

4. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

I'm not too fussed one way or another. I will smash whatever is given to me. :D

5. Sima Qian

Sima Qian 太史令

lurker's comment: Can't you avoid that by putting a few fully-loaded armies in your stack, or do you consider that cheating? I recall having a single 15-health army cover me for a late-game invasion of the USA and the AI didn't bother me at all.

I'm willing to make these tradeoffs since I'm too lame to put up with the frustration of hitting bombard over and over again...

6. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

IBT

Our Empire is huge! Very huge. We already have 67% of World's population and need only 4% more of the Land in order to win this game. We have 58 Corps, simply incredible!

Those 4% obviously can be found in South America and we may need to ship some troops from Africa. I really don't see any need to declare on Italy or Germany.

I am kinda angry on UK and USA. UK has only 499 gold (down from hundreds of thousands from the days when they declared on us during my rule) but still would not surrender. The empty hill with defensive bonus near London looks so tempting :drool:

British did little harm during the IBT. Just gassed few of our ships near their Home Islands and landed 4 troops near San Jose. Royal Navy is so petrified of our Navy, they pass next to our ships without attacking.

US still refuses to talk even during the week 33, 1910. Moreover they talked Portuguese to declare on us. I mean Portuguese AI could not get any more stupid than this.

Us destroyed 3-4 buildings in Guatemala and a DWH in Nuevita. Are there any AA guns in this scenario? Our ships near US West coast also tasted some US Air Force Zepps. I picture black and white patriotic newsreels playing in US cinemas with American Zepps bombing our ships and that the message on the screen -- this is not a science fiction, this is what we do every day ;)

4 US cavs landed near Nuevitas.

US Florida class BB sunk our BB near the Norway, but was later sunk by Koning Class German BB. Germans also killed 4-5 Spanish troops in new Spanish capital Santader. We better capture this city during this week or Germans gonna beat us on it.

Balkans gassed our troops in Greece. We gonna help Greek debt problems very soon after we take over their country. They wont need to pay back to anyone anymore as we will let them to join our economically super solid Empire. We are making 33.5 gran per turn while pushing science as fast as game permits us. Why does AI still fights us? Just surrender and enjoy wealth and peace of Japanese Universe. I remember those days when France, Britain, Germany and China were all fighting near Tsingtao. For so many turns now China enjoys peace and prosperity under our rule, population is growing, commerce is flourishing. Those Latinos in South America should take a good notice of that.

Finally, Portugal sent few ships toward France's coast but they did not attack us.

TBC

7. IvanDolvich2

Looking Good Tigranes! Yup, its a huge Empire.

Cool about Portugal declaring on us, just makes our job easier. :mischief:

The US does bug me with those blasted Airships. We skipped the AA tech on our way to Dreadnoughts. It may be worthwhile to go back and grab those techs. We are currently researching right up the line of Major Naval Techs, but by the time it would matter, the AA guns are probably a better investment.

BTW, our Naval infantry is sitting outside of Alexandria, for use in the Med. I was planning to use him on the single Italian Cav on Ottoman Crete, but now IMO the islands should be left alone. The other one we have is in the Carib and helped with the takeover of Belize.

8. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

The AA is fairly weak in this game and you won't get it to where it is needed (American theater) very quickly, since you have to research it, building and then stick it on a ship and send it over. It still doesn't help you with the ships getting bombed at sea either.

The best way to deal with the US airships is to shell the bases they are operating out of. This should not be too tough from the standpoint that if they can bomb you with their short range, then most likely they are in a coastal city.

9. Adler17

Adler17 Prussian Feldmarschall

Perhaps we should think about the use of fighters. There should be enough cities in the Caribbean to be the bases for them.

Adler

10. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Week 33, 1910

My report was almost ready when I got a silly message that my computer is under risk of malware attack and something started to load on my screen. I just closed all windows and lost my report.

In short -- oppening accords of the Week 33 saw the fall of 3 Empires for no losses -- Balkans, Spain and Central America brought us to 63% of the Land. I turn my greedy eye on La Plata to get missing 3% as early as possible. This is what they got to counter us:

I feel pretty safe that we will finish this glorious game during my rule but I still dreamimg about London. My plan is to build a massive Air Fleet of Zepps as a creative replacement for the lack of ships and transports for guns. Transports will be used for troops (Corps) only.

TBC

11. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

lurker comment: I tried this in the past during my ill-fated invasion of Japan. My entire invasion force of 100+ units (including artillery) were wiped out during Japan's turn. These weren't conscripts either, they were a veteran and elite force of mixed troops (cavalry, infantry, MG's, and 3 or 4 corps).

I'm not saying my way is the only way of doing things, but it is a very safe way of doing things.

You don't hit the "B" key and target accordingly?

12. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

Tigranes, that is a brutal virus you have. It is a type of blackmail virus that will eventually make it so you can't use your computer unless you pay them to remove the "virus" which happens to be their program and even if you pay them the first time, it still won't work if it is the one I am thinking of.

Need to try to load in safe mode with connectivity, download Malwarebytes and run it to see if you can clean it up. Good luck on that.

13. IvanDolvich2

As far as invading goes: Scandinavian shipyards can easily produce 7 Setsus per turn. They add up in a hurry and are better than airships. Other cities inland could produce airships or arty. Transporting corps and artillery is a good mix because the Arty provides defensive fires. There is enough free Arty from European Conquests now, that there should be an ample pool.

Now of course those comments are just thinking out loud. Not that the team has agreed to taking London, just thinking out loud. :mischief:

14. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Guys, please stay patient with me, lot's of things go on all at the same time in RL, but I am determined to finish my turns. Will, probably, play tomorrow.

15. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Week 33. 1910

The War in Latin America

I play cat and mouse game with La Plata just to see how much this weak Civ will play me to keep the peace. Not even a 100 out of 14 gran! They bribe us with 50 and of course we cannot swallow that insult. Asunción is informed that state of war exists between mega Empire of Japan and La Plata. 13 Japanese units land near Lima, our fleet is getting ready to support our troops there very next turn.

But meanwhile War Cabinet is eager for actions so we dare to charge Cayenne -- former French colony, annexed by La Plata few years ago. No ships or guns are available. Only handful of attack-11 WW1s available in Paramaribo against five defense-14 export MGs. We loose 1 Vet WW1 but are victorious against 4 Green Mgs. One 3HP MG is still left defending the city. We stretch our logistics and make Bismark Corps attack the only East Coast possession of La Plata. We loose 4 HP but the first blow to La PLata has been delivered. Only one building is found in badly mismanaged city -- the Waterworks.

Our limited forces press against Brazil. Brazilian Cav killed in mountains near Bogotá by the only available WW1 in the entire Columbia. The cream of our Army got stack in Honduras, and there is no road in Costa Rica to reach Panama. We might need to use transports in order to bring those units into action, but it may take 2-3 turns.

Our Navy bombards Belem. Paramaribo Corps and Emperor's Special Forces Corps score 6 kills in total! City is taken without 15 cm Krupp's. We split our available guns between coastal Fortaleza and landlocked Port Velhol. The later holds as much territory as mainland Portugal but defended by 3 guns and 3 MGs. We may start charging the city next turn. Right now I focus on Fortaleza. Few ships and five guns bring defenders (4 of them) to yellow. When we take this city without losses magic F8 key reveals that we now own 64% of the Earth! :D Only 2 more to go! This game may end without me attacking London! I need to be careful with our bloody conquests :mischief:

TBC

16. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Can anyone please comment on this strange bug -- every city has Taxation in it's building queue except for the glorious town of Tete

17. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

No idea unless they were set that way to avoid having to deal with them since the game was close to the end.

18. IvanDolvich2

I cant see images from imageshack behind the webfilter here at work, but when I saved the game and passed it off to you, I had set NONE of the builds to taxation. Don't know how that could have happened.:dunno:

19. Sima Qian

Sima Qian 太史令

lurker's comment: If you look in the scenario file, you'll notice that you can't build Taxation without a Business District.

20. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Week 33, 1910 (finally completed)

@ Sima -- Thanks, mate! I love puzzles, but even more I love solutions. That's exactly what it is! It would never cross my mind as I never seen Wealth to require any buildings in any scenario in Civ. Thanks a lot!.

Marseille

We are running out of targets in Europe, and even so Marseille looks like a big blue pimple on the green body of our Mega Empire. French were annoying anyways throught the game. We still have RoP with Italy (this may change next turn) so I ship guns from Africa to deal with the last French stronghold in continental Europe. Lots of defenders here are veterans after years of siege and War against Germany. One of the most annoying side effects in this game is when you use X key to move a stack of troops and everyone but 1 unit has 2 MP left, while that one unit has just 1 MP -- the entire stack looses all the movepoints if you drag them by your mouse. My firstr stack of guns from Paleremo stopped in Italy. I get annoyed and buy RoP with Austria to bring guns via Russia. This works but I still lost 4-5 troops against French. By the time I finally take over the city I am ready to raze it, but thankfuly No Raze patch does not let me to do anything silly.

Porto and Lissabon

We still have tons of guns waiting to be used. At some point I wonder would this turn ever end -- just too many units to deal with. We have 400+ Infantry and 400+ guns, not counting other units. Continental Portugal is mostly defended by Colonials and we have [lenty of guns to reduce all the defenders to red. We conquire both cities loosing 1 or 2 WW1s, but also getting few peomotions.

With Portugal conquired by our North Korean Division, we went our boys to burn any soccer club they see around. One of our soothsayer looks in his cap and sees World Cap and 7 goals scored by Potugese presiscely 100 years later, so we just erradicate this silly British game completely. :mischief:

We still stay at 64% but I think couple of more cities will place us at 65%.

I just move all the units and change lots of production to taxation. The only country to fight in Europe is UK. Our ships bombard London and kill few ships. I try some bombing with Airships before ordering their mass production. Not too bad actually. German ships ( including 1 invisible sub) are blocking our transports from Russia around Denmark. So we only have 5 Transports in Amsterdam. There are 40 defenders in London and I wont be able to land enough troops and guns with 5+ Transports, so airstrikes are esencial.

As I finish this week, I want to ask -- why did we focus on small islands in Carrribians while South America could provide us with much more Land with the less time and logistics?