[GS] Eleanor Livestream Discussion

Good Lord, the deflection. We'd have no fear of warming if FiraxisGames were on defense for those solar rays.

I'm laughing and also livid.

Spoiler :
They took a direct but open-ended question about AI improvements and returned a perspective on how it gets implemented in the back end? Are they in the same universe as rdomico?

I translate this as "we have one guy working on the AI - he's not with us and none of us have any idea what specifically he's done/implemented"

...You try dividing 46 leaders (=2*23) into nice and aesthetic regular rows and columns. :p But then again, it works so perfectly they simply have to throw in another nine!

I keep coming back to this.

If 46 were my final number, I'd probably either do 4 rows of 10 and 1 row of 6, or alternating rows of 12 and 11 offset so that the 11 items line up in the spaces between the items in the larger row above.
Code:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2
 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2
 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1

For some odd reason they chose 4 rows of 11 and 1 row of 2. What they chose really isn't the logical way to break down 46 entries into that UI in the most orderly manner - unless they were explicitly leaving room for 9 more (8Civs +1 Alt).

This, plus the @AssemblingTyphoon post about a 3rd expansion, really makes me think XP3 is going to be a real thing.

I keep coming back to this.

If 46 were my final number, I'd probably either do 4 rows of 10 and 1 row of 6, or alternating rows of 12 and 11 offset so that the 11 items line up in the spaces between the items in the larger row above.
Code:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2
 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2
 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1

For some odd reason they chose 4 rows of 11 and 1 row of 2. What they chose really isn't the logical way to break down 46 entries into that UI in the most orderly manner - unless they were explicitly leaving room for 9 more (8Civs +1 Alt).

This, plus the @AssemblingTyphoon post about a 3rd expansion, really makes me think XP3 is going to be a real thing.

What you’ve got there certainly looks better, but I think the way they implemented it is more down to laziness than design.

Deciding on a size for each leader’s icon and then creating a regular grid with gaps at the end is just easier than designing an irregular one.

But I would be as happy as anyone else to see nine more civs :)

He initially said you could pick your colors, the clarified that it is only in MP.

So you can't in SP? That is what the consensus is? :sad:

• Rock bands. Love the mechanic, but they need a few alt skins for the bands (e.g. Hip Hop, Dance), because hearing that rock theme every-single-game is going to get super tedious super-fast. Also, if we’re going to have “active” culture units, I’m not a huge fan of only having one unit. The gameplay around rock bands seems very limited given there are no other units. FXS need to do more work here (although equally, I’m pretty happy we get Ski Resorts so we can build out / on National Parks with mountains).

• Ideology, Tier 3 Governments, Policies Cards. I really like the changes to ideology, governments and policies cards, and the changes to Legacy Cards make a lot of sense. I’m not quite clear if the rule is you can’t use Legacy Cards in the same government as grants the card, or you can’t use the Legacy Card in the same tier of government (e.g. can you slot Oligarchy Legacy when you have Classical Republic). Hopefully it’s the latter, but not a big deal either way.
Agree and agree. Esp this bit: "hearing that rock theme every-single-game is going to get super tedious super-fast".

So if I understood this correctly, the HoF will be empty when we first start GS, right? That‘s somewhat disappointing. I don‘t have old saves and I don‘t want to play all 46 (?) leaders again. Yet, I‘d like to have a complete HoF.

That empty space for 9 leaders at the bottom though...

Well, you can't expect them to dig something up you've deleted :p
But yes, it was crazy to not include it from the beginning!

It was good to see the Hall of Fame implemented so completely. Looks nice.

You try dividing 46 leaders (=2*23) into nice and aesthetic regular rows and columns. :p But then again, it works so perfectly they simply have to throw in another nine!

That's what I'm thinking :)

Late in the stream, Anton is talking about how he'll be a neutral party while Ed and Carl go head to head on Monday, like he was when they were playing some board game. Unless my ears deceive me, Ed says to Anton at ~1:12:35 in the video embedded at the beginning of the thread, "You were just off with the economic victory there." Then Anton laughs.

Sounds like a pretty large addition for a DLC. Maybe they're dropping a nugget about Civ VII to whet our appetites early. Or maybe Anton is just working on an idea for some unknown future game.

Pretty sure they were all playing a 4X type board game and while Carl & Ed were going head to head in a war, Anton snuck the victory via economic means.

Don't the achievements serve that purpose?

They can tell you who you've won a game as, but that's about all. Not what your highest score is with leader X etc.

I think it's great that PBC games not only can start as normal MP, but can return to it as well :)

What you’ve got there certainly looks better, but I think the way they implemented it is more down to laziness than design.

Deciding on a size for each leader’s icon and then creating a regular grid with gaps at the end is just easier than designing an irregular one.

But I would be as happy as anyone else to see nine more civs :)
I still think that my other option, the 4x10+1x6, is the more obvious lazy design as well. 4x11+1x2 is just plain odd.

Code:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
1 2 3 4 5 6
vs
Code:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
1 2

There's also the question we don't know about - how does that box scale with resolution and size? It very well could simply be "we have X pixels wide on-screen that we want the HOF in, and each leader plus a gap takes up Y, so we can fit X/Y per row".

Man, the need for people to relive previous games and the angst about the HOF--more power to ya, and to each his own, but I don't get it.
HOF is not an important feature, but it can be helpful. I don't play too often and when I want to start a new game, I need to decide which leader to pick. So I need to remember (or look somewhere - like to the HOF...) which leaders I haven't played for the longest time, which leaders I played only for a short game, on a small map etc. This is why I would like to have a HOF in the game.
And that's also the same reason why adding HOF so late makes almost no sense to me. I will use it at least now to keep track of which new leaders I already tried.

I love how we are analyzing the hall of fame boxes. :lol: We do have to live up to our name. I agree that the formatting is a pretty good sign we are getting 9 more.

And I'm really jazzed about the hall of fame. I must resist the temptation to get every victory with every leader. I think that's what they said you needed to do to light everything up, correct? Though winning a religious victory with Kongo might be difficult. ;)

The Hall of Fame layout is the biggest hint so far that we are getting a third expansion. This gets me seriously hyped!

Though i hope the expansion focuses on interweaving the current systems we have better rather than throwing new ones on top. Although they will have to have lots of new features to get people to buy it

Is there a Hall of Fame discussion thread for this speculation, because I'd like to follow that, but I want to unfollow the Eleanor thread.

Top Bottom