1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Emp. Players: Let's Try Deity!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Lkysam, Oct 26, 2006.

1. nerovats

nerovats Emperor

1-As mentioned before haven't played in almost a year, but can'remeber the last time I lost on emperor.
    2-Played all levels including Sid, but never won that
    3-Lot's of deity wins
    4-At least I used to be aware of most strats, but tend to get lazy in MMing, especially in solo games.
    5-Not last year I gues.

Are we aiming for a certain VC or is any win ok?
    I second Sir Bugsy in not suporting exploits.
    In my experience going to war early is usually a good idea on higher levels regardless of VC.
    Tech spead usually moved up with number of civs and level.
    I'm fine with Ottomans, continents, barbs.

I remark, it looks like I'm in a different timezone (GMT+1) then the rest of you, so I will appear to be reacting late a lot.

Rolled a few starts, this one looks ok:
    Ottomans 4000BC.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Lkysam

Lkysam Warlord

Looks good. Maybe we should move one square SE so that we can be near the river, irrigate the wheat and fit another city in next to the sea later on (with CxxC). Any VC is ok with me, but it usually comes down to domination, space ship or diplo. I don't think that we should plan on going for a culture win and we should hit the domination limit well before we get a conquest win unless we specifically avoid it.

When should we plan on warring? If we use swords we get more power, but with horses we can upgrade to knights and then to the Ottoman UU (the name eludes me for the moment). What is the barb setting btw?

3. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

For the time being we just need to develop our core. Let's wait and see what we have before we talk about warring. We may have someone right next door or everyone far away. We'll also need to know about resources to kow what kind of war (archer rush v. sword rush).

Lots of things to think about, but we need some intel first.

The Ottoman UU is the Sipahi. I always call 'em Sips.

@ our fearless leader - What's the batting order?

4. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

I would move 1E, since it looks like water of some sort. The worker should start irrigating the wheat.

I've won on demigod, but I haven't played much unmodded after that. I've won on Emperor plenty. I MM some, and obvious thing like reducing research on the last turn.

5. Norton II

Norton II Emperor

@Lkysam: Since you haven't said anything, can I assume you only wanted five?

6. nerovats

nerovats Emperor

I support SE as we probably need the BG, unless we find more when moving E.
    Maybe someone should just play the start so we get some more info about surrounding, but we first need to decide on science. Do we gamble on trading pottery or start on that. Will reduce change on slingshot, if we want that. I usually expand like hell, with (almost) no military in the start.
    I'm ok with having 6 players.

Forgot to mention about save:
    normal size, 70% continents, random settings, 7 random civs, random barbs.

7. SimpleMonkey

SimpleMonkey King

lurker's comment: I would have moved 1sw and settled there to maximize access to the forests and BG and started on a granary first thing. Just a thought.

8. Norton II

Norton II Emperor

Still not sure if I'm in, but here's my $.02 anyway:
    Moving the settler SE sounds good for all the reasons already given; the wheat and the 2 BGs are enough for a 6-turn settler factory once a granary is built. Speaking of which, research should be pottery at max, then iron working and the wheel in either order. With random civs and barbs on deity, the republic slingshot is highly unlikely, and the AI civs will probably pop any techs we research from huts before we meet them. Thus, priorities will be expanding and locating strategic resources, followed by military buildup. Also, after those three techs are researched, zero-percent science might be worth thinking about, though if no resources are within reach, it might be worthwhile to research alpha and math to get cats.

9. Lkysam

Lkysam Warlord

Edit: @ Norton: It's fine by me if you play, as long as nobody else is opposed to it. I think we need to cap it at six though.

Just to get this moving I went ahead and took the first 20 turns. I didn't find any civs

Turn 1: Move settler 1 SE, start irrigating wheat square.

Turn 2: Found Istanbul, pottery at %100, done in 20. Istanbul starts a warrior.

http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledfb6.jpg

Turn 3: Wheat is irrigated, worker starts a road.

Turn 4: Zzzzz

Turn 5: Road done, worker moves to mine a shielded grassland.

Turn 6: Nada

Turn 7: Istanbul grows, I adjust the slider for order.

Turn 8: Istanbul builds a warrior! I send it eastwards to explore.

Turn 9: Exploring

Turn 10: Worker finishes mine and begins road. Our warrior reveals a rather large expanse of jungle to our east.

Turn 11: Istanbul’s borders expand, growth done in two turns, settler done in 7.

Turn 12: Worker spots a hut, but I leave it for now because it is too close to our
    town and I don’t want to spawn any barbs. Worker finishes road and moves to mine another bonus grassland.

Turn 13: Istanbul grows again, I bump up the luxury slider accordingly.

Turn 14: Nothing important.

Turn 15: Worker finishes road, warrior reveals some promising floodplains to the north east. Settler in one.

Turn 16: Istanbul finishes a settler, I move it three
    squares west because that is a promising spot and we lack a better one at the moment. Istanbul starts another warrior. I bump the lux slider down again.

Turn 17: Edrine is founded.

Turn 18: Pottery done in one. I set the slider back and we get 8 more gold. Our warrior reveals a couple of good city locations to the north.

Turn 19: Pottery finishes, I start on Iron Working, done in 27. Edrine switches to a granary, I’ll let Istanbul finish the warrior to scout with. Worker moves to start another road and mine on a bonus grassland.

Turn 20: Warrior done, this one goes to the south.

Here is our current position: http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=citylocationsel8.jpg

I was slightly unsure as to whether I should have built a second warrior before our settler, but I think getting our second city up faster will give us a long term boost. I'm not sure that another warrior would have found anyone quickly enough anyway. It is unfortunate that we haven't seen an AI, but on the bright side it proabably means we have some room to grow. On th image I marked a few of what I thought to be good city locations. I don't think we should necessarily found those first, but long term they would be good shots to aim for.

Whoever wants to grab it can take the next set.

10. Vind2

Vind2 Woof?

Wow this came fast

11. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Where's the save?

12. Norton II

Norton II Emperor

Two questions about Edrine: first, why is it where it is? I would've gone for the flood plain wheat, even though it means diverting from the CxxC pattern. Generally, if I build a settler before a granary, it's to set up a settler factory early. Second, why a granary in Edrine? Unless we give that city the irrigated grassland wheat, it will only get 2 surplus food per turn--not enough IMHO to justify the 60-shield investment. Maybe Istanbul should switch to another settler (destined for the plains 1 S of the flood plain wheat), and Edrine could pump out some warriors for MP and a couple of workers, then switch to a barracks.
    If no one is opposed to my joining this game, I'd like to play the turnset after the next one.

13. nerovats

nerovats Emperor

Wow, you write a lot.

Istanbul should build a granary and settlers. Edrine workers, and some warriors to explore and grow.
    Next city should go south of the wheat. That will still take some time so we'll have time to explore.
    Why ironworking, although I could support that. Alpha would allow curagh to explore.
    Don't like the idea of a rax early, we should expand as we appear to have some room.

14. Lkysam

Lkysam Warlord

I built it there because it was a decent spot that I could reach in one turn. I hadn't spotted the floodplains left and I thought it would be more important get a city up in a decent spot as quickly as possible rather than running around in the dark. Edrine is only has ~two shields built up so we aren't by any means commited to a granary; the next player is free to change it to a warrior or a worker depending on what we need. Sorry I forgot the save, but I don't have access to civ 3 from this comp. I'll put it up later.

15. Norton II

Norton II Emperor

Gotcha. I couldn't tell just from the turnlog. As for the granary, I wasn't that worried about it since there were so few shields committed so far; it just didn't seem like the thing to build unless we were going to use Edrine as the settler pump instead of Istanbul (i.e., by giving Edrine the wheat).

Exploration is important, but so is knowing where the resources are. While alpha's a low priority for the AI, they'll probably beat us to it anyway, so tech trading might not be possible for a while. As for the rax, we'll probably have expanded a bit more by the time Edrine finishes some workers and warriors, and in any case it's necessary to build something while Edrine gets to size 3 (or preferably 4). But you're right, barracks aren't important yet.

16. Lkysam

Lkysam Warlord

Here is the save (I hope)

Attached Files:

17. Vind2

Vind2 Woof?

PLaying order?

18. Vind2

Vind2 Woof?

Lkysam
    Empiremaker
    Sir Bugsy
    Vind2
    nerovats

Is this evryone? SHould this be the order (just copied it from the original roster)

19. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Probably because I play a lot of AW, I always go for a rax early.

I would say at this level that exploration has got to be either priority two or three. Meeting all the civs as early as possible is incredibly important. Brokering between civs is often the best way to stay up in techs early.

Also because of AW, I usually go for IW early as well.

20. nerovats

nerovats Emperor

Lkysam
    <=Norton?
    Empiremaker
    Sir Bugsy
    Vind2
    nerovats

Rest is fine. IW is ok by me, although I personally would have gone for alpha.