End of the World as we know it.

I say we should discover fusion really fast, if we want to avoid an energetical shortage in the next century.
I would not worry about overpopulation ; if there's one thing where mankind is self-regulating, it's population. You know, demographic transition : you go from a really high birth rate, because there's a really high death rate, thus a really slow growth (medieval european countries), to a high birth rate, low death rate transition, resulting in huge growth (India, Maghreb, ...), because scientifical progress has not yet impacted sociological trends, to a low birth rate, low death rate in "developed" countries (EU), where sociological trends have fully absorbed scientifical progress (contraception, child planning, women working, high studies).

But anyway, I'm optimistic. I'm pretty sure we'll find a way to survive.

I'll check if that happens or not, and if not - you are responsible :D...

Masquerouge said:
I would not worry about overpopulation ; if there's one thing where mankind is self-regulating, it's population. You know, demographic transition : you go from a really high birth rate, because there's a really high death rate, thus a really slow growth (medieval european countries), to a high birth rate, low death rate transition, resulting in huge growth (India, Maghreb, ...), because scientifical progress has not yet impacted sociological trends, to a low birth rate, low death rate in "developed" countries (EU), where sociological trends have fully absorbed scientifical progress (contraception, child planning, women working, high studies).
EU populations are currently heading for extinction. I do not see that as a hopeful sign as regards the long-time survival of the human species.

cgannon64 said:
There is a reason they gave them a resource-depleted backstory, rather than simply make them angry warmongering aliens.
:Hmm: I never saw their Planet-Raping history (which is only mentioned once in the entire film) as some kind of ecological irresponsibility, but in more of a "Rape, pilliage, plunder, repeat," context, placing the aliens as something along the lines of space-vikings/vandals/huns/goths/mongols/ect. These are angry warmongering nomads that just take what they want, when they want it, from whoever has it. I belive the line from the film is actualy "They move from world to world, consuming everything in their path, like locusts, and we're next." Or something like that.

Yuri2356 said:
"They move from world to world, consuming everything in their path, like locusts, and we're next." Or something like that.
President: I saw. His thoughts. I saw what they're planning to do... They're like locusts. They move from planet to planet, their whole civilization, and after they've consumed every natural resource, they move on. And we're next.

Exact words. Direct from memory. :D

The Last Conformist said:
EU populations are currently heading for extinction. I do not see that as a hopeful sign as regards the long-time survival of the human species.
Not really. Decreasing fast, maybe, but can you really picture an empty Europe? If the white population drops, there's plenty of Asians and Africans who'll seize the immigration oppurtunity.

More likely it'll end like this.

PlutonianEmpire said:
President: I saw. His thoughts. I saw what they're planning to do... They're like locusts. They move from planet to planet, their whole civilization, and after they've consumed every natural resource, they move on. And we're next.

Exact words. Direct from memory. :D

Yeah, look at the enviromental overtones in that! :crazyeye:

Bah, resource depletion is not a threat. When we run out of oil, we just have to go back to steam power! :crazyeye:
But we are an extremely stubborn species. We'll die out when the sun explodes. Even after nuclear war, there might (might, i said) be survivors, they adapt, and live on. Overpopulation happens, a war will start, viola! Overpopulation solved! Resource depletion? We'll either get better technology, or, like I said above, we go back to lower age technology!

The Omega said:
Bah, resource depletion is not a threat. When we run out of oil, we just have to go back to steam power! :crazyeye:
But we are an extremely stubborn species. We'll die out when the sun explodes. Even after nuclear war, there might (might, i said) be survivors, they adapt, and live on. Overpopulation happens, a war will start, viola! Overpopulation solved! Resource depletion? We'll either get better technology, or, like I said above, we go back to lower age technology!

And where will the steam come from? ;)
It's always the same: you burn something, that heats water (and loses about 50% of its energy to the surroundings), that drives a turbine. So we actually haven't changed from steam power :p

Zeekater said:
And where will the steam come from? ;)
It's always the same: you burn something, that heats water (and loses about 50% of its energy to the surroundings), that drives a turbine. So we actually haven't changed from steam power :p
When we run out of steam, we go back to horses!

The Omega said:
When we run out of steam, we go back to horses!

Use horses to generate electricity? :p
Burn them? Have them turn a wheel and require constant food so that you have a nett loss in energy? :p

Nono, the way of the future is fusion, once we get that under control, we got the sun right here :)

PantheraTigris2 said:
Ever wonder why it was called the 'Dark Ages'? Because it really was dark for several years, after a giant volcanic eruption darkened the sky. People thought the world was ending. That was nothing, compared to what happens regularly - in the grand scheme of Earth's history.
I hope this was a joke. :confused:

PlutonianEmpire said:
EDIT: Unless, of course, we find a way to transport Earth to another universe. :D

Hey, you're catching on! What if there is part of our universe, only in dimensions that we currently have no access to, that merges with our 3 dimensions of length, width and height, at some future time? Earth could last forever if some dimensional alterations are made. ;)

PlutonianEmpire said:
3 months before the end, solar systems will fly apart...
There are likely billions of planetary systems, but only one Solar system.

~Corsair#01~ said:
Not really. Decreasing fast, maybe, but can you really picture an empty Europe? If the white population drops, there's plenty of Asians and Africans who'll seize the immigration oppurtunity.
The point is that if a human population, which is bigger than the entire planetary population was till pretty recently, can shrink without suffering from resource depletion, major warfare or ecological collapse, there's little reason to assume the same couldn't happen to the species as a whole.

PantheraTigris2 said:
There are much bigger threats to civilization, methinks...

Like last year, in July, when an asteroid passed between the Earth and the Moon, and astrologers didn't even know it until about a week afterwards.

:eek: I never heard about this last year! Give me a source.

Birdjaguar said:
I hope this was a joke. :confused:

I didn't say the 'entire dark ages', I said 'several years' IIRC... i.e. about 3 years during that era.
You don't think volcanoes can do that, ay? :shakehead

I hope this was a joke.
This is a fairly new, and of yet unproven theory, that a certain volcano might have made the earth a bit dimmer during this period. :)

Or many volcanoes. I know of a whole well-though out theory about the end of the "First Civilization of Men". Those would be the "Heavenly people" will all the knowledge that we now lack....

I never joke about catastrophic volcanic eruptions/earthquakes...

But, my POINT was... that this type thing (that particular one being very minor in the grand scheme of things, btw)... happen consistently on Earth. And we're about due for a 99%-of-life-on-planet-killing disasterous meteor strike, cataclysmic volcanic eruption(s), earthquake(s), etc. That really should be more of a concern than anything, as far as something that could/would wipe us out.

Top Bottom