Resource icon

Enhanced User Interface v1.29i

Really amazing looking mod! Great job!

First off, to anyone else who is crashing at game start on Window 8.1, just clearing Civ 5's Cache folder solved that for me.

I have a really weird bug to report. Your mod works perfectly without any mods on or with the 15 mods I normally use that are only xml/sql manipulation, which makes perfect sense since they can't alter the UI. But, if I turn on my own map pack mod, which is just a map and minor xml changes like renaming cities, leaders, civs, etc, the top right buttons break. I've tested this with only my map pack mod enabled and with it along with my normal mods, still does it.

This is so confusing to me since my mod can not possibly affect the UI, so shouldn't be able to interact with your mod at all.

For now, I've removed the Notifications folder, which prevents the bug, so I can enjoy the rest of it.

if I turn on my own map pack mod, which is just a map and minor xml changes like renaming cities, leaders, civs, etc, the top right buttons break.
I would need your lua.log to investigate (instructions in opening post)
This is so confusing to me since my mod can not possibly affect the UI, so shouldn't be able to interact with your mod at all.
it can if there are bugs with either mod xml coding or UI xml parsing

Cheers

Looks good and it is indeed pretty mature. Perhaps post the code on github so others may improve it in the future.

Sorry about that. Well I got all the correct info together and then started testing some things. I found the particular file in my mod causing my own bug and then breaking EUI's notifications component. So nothing wrong with your mod after all :p.

Now to try to figure out why simply reassigning city state colors could cause this mess and how to fix it...

Cheers

P.S. Ignore the attachments, I don't know how to remove them :).

Attachments

• EUI Test_0000 AD-3000.Civ5Save
    701.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Lua.txt
    8 KB · Views: 58
Attached beta5 update should now be robust to this kind of mod bug

Cheers

Lol, but then I never would have found the cause of that annoying bug that I had unknowingly spread. :)

Oh, btw, I just discovered the hard way that framedarchitecture's new hit mod on the Steam Workshop Ocean Cities breaks EUI's mouseover tooltips. This appears many many times in the lua.log:
Runtime Error: ...\MODS\Ocean Cities (v 2)\Lua\Override\PlotHelpManager.lua:74: attempt to index upvalue 'm_pPlotHelpText' (a nil value)

framedarchitecture's new hit mod on the Steam Workshop Ocean Cities breaks EUI's mouseover tooltips. This appears many many times in the lua.log:
Runtime Error: ...\MODS\Ocean Cities (v 2)\Lua\Override\PlotHelpManager.lua:74: attempt to index upvalue 'm_pPlotHelpText' (a nil value)
the log indicates the mod overwrites EUI's PlotHelpManager, and that it is incompatible with EUI's PlotHelp module.

Cheers

Saw your post over on reddit about stopping work on EUI soon, so here's my wishlist of things that have come up while I play. I should say first that I absolutely love these UI improvements and all the work you've done, while still allowing us to earn achievements. It's a huge improvement to the gameplay experience.

Some of these suggestions are pretty trivial fluff while others are more meaningful, but their order isn't significant to how I personally rank them, just how they occurred to me.

- Mousing over a Luxury good in the Trade screen should show if anyone wants
it for We Love the King or a City-State quest.
- Ability to find out where a unit is moving to, like how traderoute paths are shown for caravans and cargo ships.
- Rename "We Love the King" to appropriate ruler type.
- Fast notifications of the simple AI notifications ("We've become friends with Foo too."), a la Quiet Diplomacy mod.
- Better distinguish tiles that could be worked from those that can't. (All are "gold" / orange.)
- Improved editing of Save Game dialogue box. Can't even click on it to move cursor. Annoying when you want to change the default name.
- Window that shows how much Tourism all other civs have over you in one view, without having to go to each one's Influence page.
- Icon for what religion a city is following in the City screen, not just on the city banner.
- Make the "Very well" / "That deal will work." screen go away. Useless waste of time. Turning down the deal goes away immediately.
- In religion summary, indication of what are Follower vs Founder beliefs.
- Reset button in Trade window, instead of going back to intro window or having to click off each item..
- Tourism tooltip that shows ideology pressure.
- Mark the capital of a civ in the Move Spy window with a star.
- A way to convert a Diplomat to a Spy and vice-versa, without having to move it out of the other civ's capital first.
- Easier way to just assign a diplomat to a capital. Also, mouseover the leader portrait should show that there is a diplomat there.
- Can something be done about indicating when Civs are asking to renew a deal for a resource that would leave you with 0? So annoying when they take your last lux that way.
- DoF expired notification - click should go right to proposing it again, or at least to the leader dialogue.
- Better ordering of units down the left side. They appear to be random. Could group by type? And maybe group sleeping/fortified vs active?
- Pressing Enter on trade screen should be Accept. Especially helpful on deal renewal popups.

Thanks again so much for all of your work.

@vttale: thanks a lot for taking the time to make so many suggestions. I agree with a lot of them, especially the trade screen streamlining I really wanted but never had the time for. And at this stage I only have time for bug fixes and minor changes.

Can something be done about indicating when Civs are asking to renew a deal for a resource that would leave you with 0? So annoying when they take your last lux that way
that's a bug in the game's DLL (out of the scope of EUI), but if you mouse over your leader's icon in the civilization ribbon it shows how many you actually have to trade

Better ordering of units down the left side. They appear to be random. Could group by type? And maybe group sleeping/fortified vs active?
at present they are ordered by distance to the selected unit, but mechanism and usefulness is not obvious, so I may change that to simple alphabetic

Cheers

at present they are ordered by distance to the selected unit, but mechanism and usefulness is not obvious, so I may change that to simple alphabetic

FWIW, I modified mine to group by general unit types (workers/settlers/boats, melee, ranged, aircraft, missiles, melee ships, ranged ships, other civilians), then within each group i further broke it down by upgrade path with most upgraded on top, then finally alphabetically. This makes the unit list much more useful late game because you can predictably locate specific units. It also makes it so units with similar purpose, eg that you might want to use consecutively, are close together. The exact unit class list I used for sorting is in the spoiler tags.
Spoiler :

Code:
{
	"UNITCLASS_SETTLER", "UNITCLASS_WORKER", "UNITCLASS_WORKBOAT",
	"UNITCLASS_SCOUT",
	"UNITCLASS_WARRIOR", "UNITCLASS_SWORDSMAN", "UNITCLASS_LONGSWORDSMAN", "UNITCLASS_MUSKETMAN", "UNITCLASS_RIFLEMAN", "UNITCLASS_FOREIGNLEGION", "UNITCLASS_GREAT_WAR_INFANTRY", "UNITCLASS_INFANTRY", "UNITCLASS_MECHANIZED_INFANTRY",
	"UNITCLASS_PARATROOPER", "UNITCLASS_XCOM_SQUAD",
	"UNITCLASS_MARINE",
	"UNITCLASS_SPEARMAN", "UNITCLASS_PIKEMAN", "UNITCLASS_LANDSKNECHT", "UNITCLASS_LANCER", "UNITCLASS_ANTI_TANK_GUN", "UNITCLASS_ANTI_AIRCRAFT_GUN", "UNITCLASS_HELICOPTER_GUNSHIP",
	"UNITCLASS_ARCHER", "UNITCLASS_CROSSBOWMAN", "UNITCLASS_COMPOSITE_BOWMAN", "UNITCLASS_GATLINGGUN", "UNITCLASS_MACHINE_GUN", "UNITCLASS_BAZOOKA",
	"UNITCLASS_HORSEMAN", "UNITCLASS_CHARIOT_ARCHER", "UNITCLASS_KNIGHT", "UNITCLASS_CAVALRY", "UNITCLASS_WWI_TANK", "UNITCLASS_TANK", "UNITCLASS_MODERN_ARMOR", "UNITCLASS_MECH",
	"UNITCLASS_MOBILE_SAM",
	"UNITCLASS_CATAPULT", "UNITCLASS_TREBUCHET", "UNITCLASS_CANNON", "UNITCLASS_ARTILLERY", "UNITCLASS_ROCKET_ARTILLERY",
	"UNITCLASS_GREAT_GENERAL",
	"UNITCLASS_TRIPLANE", "UNITCLASS_FIGHTER", "UNITCLASS_JET_FIGHTER",
	"UNITCLASS_WWI_BOMBER", "UNITCLASS_BOMBER", "UNITCLASS_STEALTH_BOMBER",
	"UNITCLASS_ATOMIC_BOMB", "UNITCLASS_NUCLEAR_MISSILE", "UNITCLASS_GUIDED_MISSILE",
	"UNITCLASS_GALLEY", "UNITCLASS_TRIREME", "UNITCLASS_CARAVEL", "UNITCLASS_PRIVATEER", "UNITCLASS_IRONCLAD", "UNITCLASS_DESTROYER",
	"UNITCLASS_GALLEASS", "UNITCLASS_FRIGATE", "UNITCLASS_BATTLESHIP",
	"UNITCLASS_MISSILE_CRUISER",
	"UNITCLASS_CARRIER",
	"UNITCLASS_SUBMARINE", "UNITCLASS_NUCLEAR_SUBMARINE",
	"UNITCLASS_GREAT_ADMIRAL", 
	"UNITCLASS_ARCHAEOLOGIST",
	"UNITCLASS_MISSIONARY", "UNITCLASS_INQUISITOR", 
	"UNITCLASS_PROPHET", "UNITCLASS_ARTIST", "UNITCLASS_WRITER", "UNITCLASS_MUSICIAN", "UNITCLASS_SCIENTIST", "UNITCLASS_MERCHANT", "UNITCLASS_ENGINEER",
	"UNITCLASS_SS_COCKPIT", "UNITCLASS_SS_STASIS_CHAMBER", "UNITCLASS_SS_ENGINE", "UNITCLASS_SS_BOOSTER",
	"UNITCLASS_CARGO_SHIP", "UNITCLASS_CARAVAN"
}

I also really, really like this suggestion about indicating military power, but don't know if this is info you can actually find out in the unmodified game and thus won't be *just* a UI improvement, in which case I understand why you're not doing it.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13444489&postcount=1050

That formula is exactly the same formula that the military advisor uses and transforms into wording, and the AI uses to evaluate power of other civs (including humans). I don't know why bc1 doesn't include it, and doesn't even answer my calls when I ask him to. This is one big difference with, i.e. Infoaddict, where you blatantly see information (like this one( that not even the AI uses.

Come on, bc1, just include it. It's one more line in the tooltips, and you know it mimics the mil advisor perfectly. It's boring to have to cycle through dozens of stupid advise to find the sentence that says exactly the same as that function...

That formula is exactly the same formula that the military advisor uses and transforms into wording, and the AI uses to evaluate power of other civs (including humans). I don't know why bc1 doesn't include it, and doesn't even answer my calls when I ask him to. This is one big difference with, i.e. Infoaddict, where you blatantly see information (like this one( that not even the AI uses.

Come on, bc1, just include it. It's one more line in the tooltips, and you know it mimics the mil advisor perfectly. It's boring to have to cycle through dozens of stupid advise to find the sentence that says exactly the same as that function...
Maybe it is they way you "ask" it, I personally would ignore requests like this.

Try to understand that it may look like just adding 1 line but it quite possibly has implications beyond that 1 new line. Moreover, bc1 does this for fun and brought us many excisting UI improvements for free. We owe him our patience.

Hello!

First congratulations for making this excellent mod :)

I have a problem with the city banner not showing anything (empty pop, prod) just showing the city name.

1. I did use Whoward's UI-Improved city banner along with your mod and all was fine except for that City States and other civs were visible in the fog (could see the city banners all over the unexplored map) also the city states were all showing the militaristic icon in the city banner.

2. When I disabled Whoward's city banner all the city banners became blank only showing the name of the city (also city states and other civs city banners visible in the fog)

I removed cache and it did not solve the problem :/ but when I enable whoward's city banner im back to 1.

I will try with the beta when I get home later but maybe you guys know a solution to this?

Thanks!

UPDATE!

Solved it! updated to the beta and now it's working :)

@vttale: thanks a lot for taking the time to make so many suggestions. I agree with a lot of them, especially the trade screen streamlining I really wanted but never had the time for. And at this stage I only have time for bug fixes and minor changes.

I hope my suggestion would be a minor change; no clue what would actually be involved. I find the "pick a city to trade with" window to be horrible with its enormous list of all the cities on the map you can now reach with your cargo ship near end game. Could all the cities of each civ be collapsed, such that there would only be one entry per civ? Clicking on it would expand that one entry so you can see all the possible trading routes for that civ? Maybe while collapsed the city displayed would be the one that would yield the most gold so at a glance you would know which may be the best.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Maybe it is they way you "ask" it, I personally would ignore requests like this.

Try to understand that it may look like just adding 1 line but it quite possibly has implications beyond that 1 new line. Moreover, bc1 does this for fun and brought us many excisting UI improvements for free. We owe him our patience.

Well, after many polite requests, one gets tired... and I will add it to his final version anyways, it would be more for you than me, what I request... so go on and ignore it.

And no, it has no implications for anything but a tooltip, I have done it for Global Relations. SO, bottom line, it's just goodwill vs not so much... when I add it to the final version, I may post it. Feel free to ignore it, please.

Well, after many polite requests, one gets tired... and I will add it to his final version anyways, it would be more for you than me, what I request... so go on and ignore it.

And no, it has no implications for anything but a tooltip, I have done it for Global Relations. SO, bottom line, it's just goodwill vs not so much... when I add it to the final version, I may post it. Feel free to ignore it, please.
Your goodwill is admirable, just don't force it upon other people ;).

Your goodwill is admirable, just don't force it upon other people ;).

Well, from that point of view, ANY mod is enforcing goodwill on other people... if we follow that logic, no mod whatsoever will ever be published, as ALL of them start as personal modifications to games based on, oh-oh, personal preferences.

This particular case, is just... I don't know how to define it. In any case, I will add it to his final version, the same as I am adding other things that I find lacking while deleting some that I find "too much". I may or may not share the mod-mod, and you may or may not feel willing "to be enforced" by it.

:rolleyes:

after many polite requests, one gets tired...
Hello dear polite friend,

my intent was never for you to feel ignored... I thought reply had been made long ago to your ancient request:
  • my personal feeling is that the game's military might rating is hopelessly useless because of (1) the overly simplistic algorithm used to determine Military Might value, and (2) the use of military might by the Firaxis AI is orders of magnitude less efficient than a human player
  • as you may recall EUI aims to provide only information available in the base game, not more: if you read CvAdvisorCounsel.cpp, you will notice there are many cases for advisors to show something else than military might, based on the result of assessments some of which would be overly tedious to duplicate in lua
  • I have not found a way for EUI to have its own localized strings, and have to reuse existing ones: unfortunately there does not seem to be short existing appropriate ones for military might
  • you are welcome to publish - or not - EUI mod mods, the choice is yours
  • you might want to consider the following code for your mod mod's military might, which better duplicates relevant part of CvAdvisorCounsel.cpp (in which values are not hardcoded):
    Spoiler :
    Code:
    function GetPlayerMilitaryStrengthTextKey( player1, player2 )
    	if player1 and player2 then
    		local baseStrength = GameDefines.MILITARY_STRENGTH_BASE
    		local militaryStrength1 = baseStrength + player1:GetMilitaryMight()
    		local militaryStrength2 = baseStrength + player2:GetMilitaryMight()

-- Example: If another player has double the Military strength of us, the Ratio will be 200
    		local militaryRatio = militaryStrength2 * GameDefines.MILITARY_STRENGTH_RATIO_MULTIPLIER / militaryStrength1

-- Now do the final assessment
    		if militaryRatio >= GameDefines.MILITARY_STRENGTH_IMMENSE_THRESHOLD then
    			return "TXT_KEY_STRENGTH_IMMENSE"
    		elseif militaryRatio >= GameDefines.MILITARY_STRENGTH_POWERFUL_THRESHOLD then
    			return "TXT_KEY_STRENGTH_POWERFUL"
    		elseif militaryRatio >= GameDefines.MILITARY_STRENGTH_STRONG_THRESHOLD then
    			return "TXT_KEY_STRENGTH_STRONG"
    		elseif militaryRatio >= GameDefines.MILITARY_STRENGTH_AVERAGE_THRESHOLD then
    			return "TXT_KEY_STRENGTH_AVERAGE"
    		elseif militaryRatio >= GameDefines.MILITARY_STRENGTH_POOR_THRESHOLD then
    			return "TXT_KEY_STRENGTH_POOR"
    		elseif militaryRatio >= GameDefines.MILITARY_STRENGTH_WEAK_THRESHOLD then
    			return "TXT_KEY_STRENGTH_WEAK"
    		else
    			return "TXT_KEY_STRENGTH_PATHETIC"
    		end
    	end
    end
Cheers

Top Bottom