1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] Enjoyable Deity Games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Nizef, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Nizef

Nizef Prince

The first 99 games in the Enjoyable Deity Games Experience (EDGE) series are presented on page 25 in this thread. The newest additions after that are:

100. Germany (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), CV challenge
    101. Brazil (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    102. Austria (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    103. England (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, modded with RAS and Acken´s balance mod)
    104. the Celts (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    105. Rome (Pangaea, Standard speed, Large size, Unmodded)
    106. Songhai (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)

The new subseries MIDGE consists of:
    1. Finland (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Otherwise unmodded but the civ to play is Hypereon´s Finland v. 4)
    2. The Papal States (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Otherwise unmodded but the civ to play is JFD´s The Papal States (v. 10). You also need TarcisioCM´s Austria-Hungary (v. 1))
    3. Phoenisia (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Otherwise unmodded but the civ to play is Sukritact´s Phoenician civilization (v. 2)

2. beetle

beetle Deity

I think you could use IGE to swap your starting units with an AI’s units. I have never tried that. An easier approach might be to settle for one of the fixed maps (like Mesopotamia) and use RSP so both the Korea and Babylon games have the same starting location.

Tiberiu likes this.
  3. raider980

raider980 Warlord

Starting both Korea and Babylon in the same location would eliminate the problem of one of them potentially getting better starting land. But it also means whichever one is played second is going to have knowledge of the map and that helps a lot. I guess we could settle cities in the same location for the second civ even if we realize there might be better spots or arrangements of cities.

4. RuntyBassoon143

RuntyBassoon143 Chieftain

Edit: still working out the exact steps to reproduce this. I think you need IGE enabled on the first civ, and then you save the map set up the game for the second civ with only RSP enabled and using the map saved for civ1.

See new thread for saves.

I will start one that can be used for this first SV challenge and additional VC challenges in the future.

5. Nizef

Nizef Prince

EDGE#107: The red P (Piety challenge)

This civ, however overpowered, is usually fun to play and I hope that you will have a nice journey as well. The task here is to play as Poland on an unmodded Pangaea map with Standard size and Standard speed. QC and QM are turned on and all VCs are enabled as usual. All AIs were generated randomly, you have a nice starting area, enough luxuries for a liberty start and I would expect you to get a "routine" win here (is there anything like that on Deity?) Or go in any direction you want and conquer your neighbours. But remember that you have to fill out the Piety tree before the game ends. I also uploaded some pictures for you to compare. Enjoy!

I played according to HOF rules and submitted my win. There is a short recap of my game behind the spoiler.

Spoiler :

Settled t1 next to the Salt. I am not sure if this was the best move but I did it anyway. The BO was Scoutx2-Shrine-Granary-Settlerx3. I stole one worker from Persia and two from a CS. First expand riverside to the NW (I should have gone for the desert Gold to the SE, but Persia beat me to it), then NE on the other side of the mountains for Citrus and Cotton) and then two coastal cities. 5 city NC on t99 and I built Oracle before that and Hagia Sofia afterwards. Ramesses attacked me early on, but he didn´t get far and instead I countered and took Elephantine from him. He was spreading his filthy religion all over the place so I also recruited Genghis to attack him. Eventually Egypt survived with one city, but they were of course out of the race. Education on t110. Fourth religion with EM/Tithe/Mosques/RC/IP.

In the midgame, I settled one more city to the N for Gems and all cities were growing nicely. I had to manage my happiness carefully. Spain jumped on Rome and eventually the latter were out of the game! Polynesia grew a bit too strong after beating up Mongolia and they were desiring my lands as well. Persia stayed a loyal ally to the end of times, which made organizing the defense a little easier. I was first to Ideologies and went Order. Polynesia had other thoughts and chose Authocracy together with Spain. Persia and Arabia went Freedom. I managed to build Sistine, PT and Eiffel but missed out on Louvre.

In the endgame, Polynesia attacked me but their coastal attack was not dangerous. Instead it messed up my trade routes and we were at war for a long time (25-30 turns or so). Persia and Spain were the cultural forerunners and I had to settle for a SV. It is worth mentioning that I built both Neuschwanstein and SOH in Wroclaw. It was a city with good production. I tried to keep Polynesia busy and eventually Persia took a couple of cities from them, while Mongolia was eliminated. Aluminium was a problem and I had to buy it and I also built some Recycling centers. Eventually I launched on t292 without optimizing too much, but rather just enjoying the game. SP: full Liberty, full Piety, Tradition 4, Exploration opener, full Rationalism and Order 9.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  6. Nizef

Nizef Prince

MIDGE#4: High up in the north

Imaging yourself on a small vessel high up in the northern part of the Atlantic. Where will you go from there? Will you rob and burn the cities in England and Scotland or will you explore the shallow waters of the North sea and the Baltic? Maybe you will reach for new land to the west? The water is very cold and the fog lies thick. Any neighbour you have, might be as bloodthirsty as you are yourself. And everywhere there is tundra, ice, snow and more cold water (and a couple of jungle tiles). This is what you have to master when you play as Haakon IV of Norway on an otherwise unmodded Ice Age map with Standard size and Standard speed. QC and QM are turned on and all VCs are enabled as usual. The starting position is appealing but you need to think hard where to settle your expands. I settled four expands myself, so you can do it as well, but you might need to be creative. All AIs were handpicked to fit this scenario. Your UA is definitely interesting but not overpowered and then you have two UUs to help you out. I am sure you will struggle but so will your neighbours. Enjoy this challenge!

Technical description:
    You will need the following modded civs:
    - Norway https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157553599
    - Finland https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=351729439
    - Iceland https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=317913362
    - Scotland https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=315655130

Remember that this game is packed with modded civs and that there might be some problems. However, I didn´t find any problem all game long.

Here is a short recap of my game:

Spoiler :

I moved onto the Gems ans settled on t1. BO: Scout-Monument-Shrine-Settler-Scout-Granary. First expand four tiles to the W to keep Iceland and Sweden out. I built HG to get a good capital. Happiness was a problem and I went for an exceptional 2 city NC before expanding two more times (further to the W and up NE. All cities were obviously coastal and I got them growing when I got the happiness for it. Education on t120. The Celts got most of the cultural wonders, while Iceland emerged as the most aggressive AI. They also attacked me very early but I managed to hold them off with two CBs, a Warrior and a Spearman. I was not in a good shape but only the Celts and Iceland seemed to do well so far.

In the midgame I wanted to get some of the cultural wonders but I only managed Sistine. Iceland conquered Stockholm but they then left Sweden alive with one city. Then they turned on Finland and Denmark joined the fun. Finland were also left alive with one crappy city. I was waiting for a renewed attack but Iceland chose the Celts instead... with a little bribe from me. Later I chose Order and Iceland followed. I also founded a fifth city up north to get some Oil.

In the endgame, I focused on getting the job done. Denmark took out England, while Iceland and Scotland had several fights. Uncontested SV on t324. The map was too rough for some of the AIs and Denmark and Iceland were focusing on anything else but winning. The Celts got quite near to a CV but that was it. SP: full Tradition, Commerce opener, Exploration opener, full Rationalism and Order 8.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  7. beetle

beetle Deity

I really appreciate your curating of these add-on civs, else I would never bother!

Nizef likes this.
  8. Nizef

Nizef Prince

As a teaser, China and Russia will be up next. Any other suggestions?

9. raider980

raider980 Warlord

Finished MIDGE3 with a SV T310. Phoenicia’s UA is amazing, I’ve never had such a large income. I got up above 650gpt at times. It honestly seems like it’s giving more than +5gpt per outgoing science (unless I’m misunderstanding what that means).

Spoiler :
    We were isolated at the end of a peninsula and that turned out to be a godsend because Greece and Assyria were on our continent. When I spotted the neck of the peninsula down south with Persia right on the other side, I built a settler sooner than normal to go grab that spot. I founded two other cities for a nice 4-city tradition game. Then around T115 I realized Persia had not settled the sweet spot south of him near Sri Pada. So I started building a settler to go get it. Darius and I have been friends all game even though I stole a worker early. So I figured I might get lucky and be safe down in his territory. But before my settler could make the long trek, he had finally decided to found a city down there – and not even in range of Sri Pada but close enough that another city wouldn’t work, so I had to delete my settler (never done that before).

Spoiler T116 Screenshot :
    T116.jpg

Assyria and Greece fought each other all game with Ashurbanipal being the victor and eliminating Alex late mid-game. (Interestingly very different from @penguin47 game where Greece was dominant). Mongolia was the top AI in my game. He was dominating on every front. He conquered almost every city state on the planet – at the end there were only seven remaining, and I was ally with them all thanks to my massive gold reserves. I kept having to try to save them by putting my units in the way since luckily Genghis and I were friends.

I went full tradition then into Exploration to grab the first three policies to give my navy an advantage and also get production and happiness. Then started Rationalism. I got the second ideology and chose Freedom so I could buy spaceship parts. For some reason I had more culture than normal and I was able to finish Rationalism, put some into Patronage and get six in Freedom.

The late game was a matter of building up my navy and protecting my CS allies while waiting to get the space ship techs. I ended up buying all the spaceship parts in two turns and launched on T310. And I still had 8000 gold left over.

Spoiler T310 SV Screenshot :
    SV T310.jpg

Regarding suggestions, I have one for MIDGE:

The Sioux (Brave New World) by Tomatekh. I played them a while back and they have some very interesting and fun uniques. Including a horse unit that is actually good, I don't normally build horse units but I built a lot of these.

Nizef likes this.
  10. Nizef

Nizef Prince

EDGE#108: Yellow fever (DomV challenge)

This is in a way a rare contribution in this series. I decided to play this civ to a DomV on standard speed, which I seldom do. Here the task is to play as Russia on an unmodded Lakes map with Standard size and Standard speed. QC and QM are turned on and all VCs are enabled as usual. The map is good enough to go in any direction you want but the idea is to go for a Domination victory. All AIs were generated randomly, but this mix gave me some early problems. For some reason all AIs but one are found at the peaceful end of the scale. Good luck with getting them to fight each other! I also uploaded pictures from t122 and from the win on t303 for you to compare. Enjoy!

I played according to HOF rules and submitted my win. There is a short recap of my game behind the spoiler.

Spoiler :

Settled t1 next to the Salt on the other side of the river. The BO was Scoutx2-Shrine-Settler-Granary. I also bought one Settler on t9. I stole one worker from Indonesia and one from Songhai and two from Zürich. First expand next to a nearby NW and the second expand to the E next to a small lake. 3 city NC on t80 and Education on t104 even if I went for some early detours. Solid opening and I decided to go for a DomV and attacked Indonesia with CBs very early and took Jakarta and one crappy expand. Last religion with EM/Tithe/Pagodas/Plowshares/IP.

In the midgame, I waited for XBs before I decided to attack Indonesia one more time and left them with only one city. In between they had assembled a formidable army, so I definitely had to cripple them even more. Medan was a very good city. Then I waited for Dynamite before going for Stockholm. Sweden was on only three cities but they had built several nice wonders, among them the Great Wall. I went Order and Brazil and the Mayans followed. Theodora went Freedom and her cities were fantastic (both Constantinople and Adrianople were pop40+ in the late game. Songhai had several fights with the Mayans before they attacked my buddy Venice.

In the endgame, I teched for Plastics and Rocketry before going for Songhai. I took five cities from them, including Gao and Venice. Then I used the same units for Palenque and Chitzen Itza. On t297 I attacked Brazil with Atomic bombs, Stealth bombers and XComs. Rio fell easily and four turns later I attacked Byzantium with the same units. They didn¨t stand a chance because I prepared the invasion with four Nukes... Late game domination is sooo satisfying. I should really do it more! SP: full Tradition, Honor 2, Commerce 2, full Rationalism and Order 5.

Attached Files:

11. beetle

beetle Deity

I would like to roll and share a MIDGE map with Austria Hungary for the player, and all the MIDGE AI we have seen as opponents. It will probably be a few days before I post it, as I like to play a 100+ and unfog enough of the map so I know how much ice I might need to delete.

12. Nizef

Nizef Prince

Yes of course. Go ahead with #5.

EDIT: I only counted 7 different modded civs so far (#1. Finland, #2. The Papal States and Austria-Hungary, #3 Phoenicia, #4. Norway, Iceland and Scotland). You might need to add one more to complete the line up. I will look up the Sioux since raider suggested them. Maybe you would like to use them as the eighth civ? I also fooled around with Belgium a little and they seem to be very interesting.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  13. beetle

beetle Deity

Thanks @Nizef, I would prefer just to pick one of the stock AIs for the eighth civ.

14. Nizef

Nizef Prince

15. BlackWizard

BlackWizard King

I just want to know if some of you are interested to play heavily modded map? no mods needed...Theme would be nuclear winter and I have picked civ for that it would be Spain...going to make map if at least two persons in this conversations are intrested....only problem i have is to balance out the benefits and trade off human player gets and AI gets..so it wouldn't be too easy or too hard...would you like it to be easy or hard..which you would prefer?

16. Nizef

Nizef Prince

I could for sure give it a try. Would this be something similar to what marbozir played on his channel (with the Netherlands)?

17. raider980

raider980 Warlord

I'd play it. I'm not the best at deity though so can't guarantee I'd do well, or even be able to finish.

18. BlackWizard

BlackWizard King

I don't remember that particular game from Marbs though I watch him quite often

19. TMNTurtle

TMNTurtle Chieftain

Hi, I've been playing a few of the EDGE games and wanted to express my gratitude and which seems customary, report on my progress so far. For most of the games I have been aiming for my preferred win condition, the peaceful CV.

Spoiler #107 Poland T269 CV :
    I took no notes so details are a bit fuzzy. BO: most likely scout monument scout shrine into ? and then 5 settlers. Decent ruins, at least one culture ruin early. Settled 6 cities into NC and founded Gdansk after.

Policies were Left side liberty into Piety to Reformation, finish liberty, 4 rationalism, ping-pong between aestethics and freedom and final 2 into piety last. I have yet to pick up JE from reformation in my piety games and this time it was nabbed by Ramses, blast! TtGOG it is!

The game proceeded peacefully without iirc any bribes and definately no standing army for protection. Gengis eventually asks for a joint war vs Ramses which leads to 10 turns of cold war. For the rest of the game I get to turtle to my hearts content, as I closed in on victory a chain of denouncements scared me into rushbuying an airforce that never gets to sortie. I declare my second and last war of the game on T268 against that stubborn Princeps who won't give my GMs access.

9 WWs built: Maosuleum, Sistine, PT, Taj Mahal, SoL, Eiffel Tower, Uffizi, CN-Tower, Firewall

Culture to beat: 2 civs just shy of 40k

I'm a bit confused as to why the game was so quiet especially since you (Nizef) seems to have experienced some action, both with of us with 7 cities, but I built mine earlier which usually leads to at least some DoWs. I think I got really lucky with Gengis gameplan this time.

EDGE#107.jpeg
    EDGE#107 Policies.jpeg

Spoiler #101 Brazil T249 CV :
    Again fuzzy, I have made sure to collect notes for upcoming games. BO scout x2 thinking of going tradition which is where I am most comfortable. But early scouting and the promise of plenty'o lands from the forum post as well as my southern neighbour being unable to interfere makes me opt for acken style liberty instead. In retrospect I am not too pleased with how distant I settled the expansions in the east which strained worker logistics a bit too much and roads were delayed as well.

I also get a friendly visit from Pacal clearing out my barb camps, this time though, he managed to keep hold of his empire.

Start was a bit slow even with cargos feeding my capital and i miss out on many a good early wonder, luckily it seems archeology is plenty when combined with a few carnevals and late game culture wonders. Oxford into radio and freedom. In the midgame I'm down 100 gpt in loan repayments to Gengis as the DoF runs out, I'm too much of a chicken to just declare war since he has plenty of cities and good tech (he seems to have opted for the same MO as in Nizef's game). Another misplay since the mountainrange would have offered an easy war leaving me with more money for rush-buys and research agreements.

6 WWs, a bit on the lower end: Sistine, Taj Mahal, Louvre, Eiffel T, Broadway, SoL

Culture to beat 28k, Pacal. Eventually I gave him Brasilia to not miss out on a sub 250 since my third faith-bought musician arrived a little late. I'm pretty pleased since this is my second to fastest peaceful CV so far. EDGE#101.jpeg

So thank you very much for keeping these stunning maps coming Nizef, I have thourougly enjoyed it so far. I have been playing through some DCL-maps to learn and break into Deity this year, but comparing yourself to them old results feels a bit like doing archeology and I'm glad I stumbled over this thread.

Now, I have some more results coming, including some failures and trainwrecks, but I'll save them for my next post.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Nizef and vadalaz like this.
  20. beetle

beetle Deity

I am sorry to say that this is not working out. My game is crashing too much.