1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] Enjoyable Deity Games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Nizef, Feb 9, 2019.

1. penguin74

penguin74 Chieftain

EDG 11. Turn 308 defeat. Was on pace for a SV around 330 or so, but unfortunately
    Spoiler :
    Alex was doing Alex things
    on the far side of the world and got a diplo win. 8 city liberty. By the end it was just me
    Spoiler :
    Greece and Rome, with I think 1persian city keeping them aive
    controlling the whole world, but I could not survive the last vote. Fun map.

2. beetle

beetle Chieftain

Another Enjoyable Deity Game Experience, thank you @Nizef !
    I settled one tile to E to save forest chop. Four Jags for my initial build, then four city Tradition until Arty. Took me to T499 to win, so more of a slog than EDGE9 Mongolia. I guess that is the difference between having a great UU or not? Game was pretty smooth, none of the AI had SS parts, but I was using Xcom at the end.

I missed EDGE 10 Spain, so I am trying that one next.

3. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

I conquered the northern neighbour with Trebs and XBs soon after Education. That might explain the difference in finishing time? It will be intresting to see what you can make of Spain. The start is amazing but it is still a tough nut.

4. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

Yeah. The white guy is always a pain to face on Deity. He is the one I was racing in my t288 SV.

5. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

Here comes EDGE13. I was hesitant to use this in the series, mostly for the odd starting location but also because of some other features. Then I thought that I will give a hint in the text: the coast is located 3 tiles to the E. The task is to play England on a standard sized Continents map on standard speed and the starting location has been modded with Really Advanced Setup. All VCs are enabled and Quick Combat is turned on. In my game I had a 4 city NC on t93. Contrary to how I usually play, I did not bother with a religion. When you have scouted around, you will likely know why. In addition, there is not a lot of land to settle beyond 4-5 cities and you definitely need to hurry. But if you overcome these early obstacles, you will not have problems with happiness nor gold. In addition the land contains enough Iron for England to be a formidable maritime force. All in all, this is not an easy task and it took me until t322 to secure a DomV. Try to enjoy the early pain!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  6. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

While I am at it, I decided to upload EDGE14 as well. Here the task is to play Korea (again) on a standard sized Small Contients map with standard speed. The starting location has been slightly modded with Really Advanced Setup, all VCs are enabled and Quick Combat is turned on. If you like founding cities, this is the one for you! I founded "only" 6 in my game, but there is room for more. For example, the wasteland up north is not really that bad. Explore and decide for yourself! It took me until t305 to secure a SV, but that was mostly because I did not focus on winning, I just enjoyed all that land! This one you WILL enjoy! I would even go so far, that this map is a contender for best map in this thread!

As a sidenote, in my opinion, there are rarely maps where taking two points in Exploration (for the +3 production) is a good decision. Here I did and I liked it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  7. penguin74

penguin74 Chieftain

EDG5 science win turn 341

Spoiler :
    lwent liberty. 9 cities founded, conquered some more. map was basically split 3 ways between me, spain and monglia. stayed friends with the mongols all game, warred with everyone else at least once. really wanted to go dom, but only foothold i got on another continent caused the spanish to attack and i couldnt hold it. heres a shot of the last turn
    upload_2019-8-7_19-41-24.png

Attached Files:

8. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

Great to see that you tried it out. It was also nice to see that you settled (or conquered?) the islands to the W.

9. beetle

beetle Chieftain

Four-city Tradition is stronger than two-city Liberty. Who would have guessed that?
    My experience with Terra is that there will be barely room for three cities. With RAS, I was thinking I might get half a dozen overseas cities, each on a NW. So I tried Liberty. Restarted turn 3 to get the nearby NW in range. Four of my Conquistadors upgraded to Calvary, but aside from that bit of fun, (oh, and griefing the psycho neighbor for a couple workers) the game was a wash. I missed Porcelain Tower, and was sixth to an Ideology on T215. The runaway got Hubble on T282 and won by SV on T298.

I played a second time: SIP, then four-city Tradition. I settled the same three off-continent NW as before, but waited until Oxford. (No ruins left though.) I got Hubble that game, but still lost (to a different AI) to a T313 SV.

Nizef likes this.
  10. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

My game was very different. The AIs entertained themselves with wars all the time, so I could focus on winning the game. I settled two of four core cities in places with limited growth and that made it a little tedious, but I still managed a t306 SV. The war I had with Dido was obviously about Iron but also for fun. I also enjoyed a gamelong unexpected friendship with the lady in red. How often does that happen?

11. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

EDGE15 is a real classic. The task is to play Venice on a standard sized Fractal map, with Epic speed (mostly to enjoy your warpath a little more). As you can see, the starting location has been modified with Really Advanced Setup (Sri Pada, guarranteed Iron and Coal and a couple of Salt tiles). But the game came up with the rest. All VCs are enabled and Quick Combat is on. However, you should play this game only with DomV in mind. Thus, I ended up playing the map three and a half times before I could secure t413 DomV and this setup really got me hooked. The map in itself is a very typical Fractal map but your starting location on the map is the first challenge, is SIP the right choice or not?. Then you need to prepare for war even if you are a little bit isolated. But maybe it is not a defensive war? You have fantastic production potential in your capital but you will be a little bit constrained on money until Compass. There are a couple of aggressive AIs and also a couple that were very weak. You will need to fight land battles but also wage war at sea. Will you keep up in the Science race if you expand too soon? So all in all, this is not easy. Choose your allies with care and time your action with perfection and you will be rewarded with a glorious win!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  12. beetle

beetle Chieftain

The map was also fun because one can, with just a little map abuse, be first to find 3x NW before Astronomy. So that is your settlers right there. If I had gotten Porcelain Tower, as I usually manage to do, I think the SV would have been no problem.

13. so_what

so_what Chieftain

I am stuck at my CV quest in EDG5. At 186t my science is at replaceable parts and I have built quite a few of the important wonders for CV. I am on the path for a 220t internet.

However, the issue is the lack of culture CS (only Prague left in the game). Venice took Kiev out early and Genghis took out all the CS on his continent. Even though I build sistine chapel, used 4 great writers after world fair, I barely make it through 2 policy from Rationalism, 3 from Order, and half of asethetics. At this rate, it would be pretty late perhaps 240 turn-ish before I can buy great musicians.

I might have to replay some parts of the game, but I really don't know what I can do to save the city states or get enough culture to complete asethetics early. Mongolia is too far away and Venice eats up the culture CS far too early for me to do anything.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  14. beetle

beetle Chieftain

I played 14 before 13 (England) since I feeling hard-up for a SV after being frustrated on the Spain map. Lazy SV T311, no one else had a single part. Seven city Liberty then Exploration as suggested. My late-game build order was way off, I am not sure why. I hard built all six parts in expos while trying to catch up on National Wonders in the cap. That was a first!

Nizef likes this.
  15. Acken

Acken Chieftain

Challenge accepted ! I'll try if I have time

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Nizef likes this.
  16. so_what

so_what Chieftain

I replayed EDG5 a few times and finally I am pretty sure I will get a CV in a few turns.

The most important changes are
    1) being aggressive towards Venice. I stalked it early to kill the Merchant once, and then throughout the game keep bribing other Civs to attack Venice. (It was still able to buy Kiev, but subsequently it was seriously setbacked).
    2) Going for 7 city liberty-order, this gave me a lot of hammers to build most of the CV wonders as well as archaeologist, hotels, airports.
    3) Went for religion (tithe, pagoda, and religious community)
    4) Culture is still the biggest bottleneck with the map, if there are a few more culture CSs remaining, it is fair to say I can probably save 10 more turns.

Attaching picture just before NVC and GM bombing.
    Spoiler 233t :

Internet + International Games + Hotel + Airports
    screen shot cv.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Acken and Nizef like this.
  17. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

Have you not built the Great Library on Deity yet? Well, I have! This is EDGE16, the exception of all Deity games. The task is to play Egypt on a standard sized Pangaea map on standard speed. The start has been modded with Really Advanced Setup (start next to mountain, strategic resources, 2 Salt tiles and a nearby NW), all VCs are enabled and Quick combat is turned on. And yes, the start makes the GL a possibility, but I ensure you that you still have it all to do. This is not easy. In my game I built the GL on t25 (picture attached) and there is also a t11 game save for you to play, if you do not hit a ruin with Writing yourself. We all agree that it is suboptimal to build the GL, but it is still a wonderful feeling. :) Enjoy!

Attached Files:

18. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

That was definitely a first! :) But actually I built 2 or 3 parts in the cap myself. The production capacity is only average for a cap. But again: it does not matter when you have all that space to yourself. :)

I will also wait for your take on EDGE games #15 and #16. England is tricky, mostly for the start, but the Venice game is something extraordinary. And Egypt, well, I have for sure never built the GL on Deity before.

I think you are very skilled! CV around t240 is very, very good in my book.

I believe I speak for all readers of this thread when I say: hopefully you will find the time soon! I can barely wait for your report.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2019
  19. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

Warmongers galore! Here comes a less standard take on Attila. So it is time for EDGE17. The map is a standard sized Oval with standard pace. The start has been modded with Really Advanced Setup (one extra technology (on top of Animal Husbandry), 2 Salt tiles, start next to mountain, nearby NW and guarranteed Coal, Horses and Iron) and Quick Combat is turned on. As an extra bonus, it is wise to move your Warrior SE on t0. So have I lost it completely when I have given the most OP civilization even more bonuses? The answer is probably, in all honesty, YES. But you will have to fight against handpicked AIs, all of them widely known for their positive social skills... Those of you, who are good early game warmongers will have an easy day at the office, but the rest of us have it all to do. A win before t150 is impressive in my opinion. Try it out and maybe, just maybe, you will unintentionally make use of all those ugly words your mother did not want you to use. Hehe. Enjoy!

Spoiler List of AIs :
    Assyria, Denmark, Greece, Mongolia, Siam, the Aztecs and the Zulus

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  20. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

This one I have had in mind for a long time (or rather the map). This is EDGE18, where the task is to play Japan on a standard sized map with Hellblazers Map Script v.7 and standard speed. The script type is Pangaea with average amount of islands. The starting location has the "Strategic Balance + Coal + Aluminium" option enabled. I have also modded the start with Really Advanced Setup, but only to ensure a nearby NW and the Crab tile. Both Quick Combat and Quick Movement are enabled and all VCs are possible. I went Tradition in my game, but I suspect that Liberty might be a better option. Anyway, I also postponed Optics too long and that misjudgement made the catch up too slow and one of the AIs snowballed before I could do anything about it and thus I lost the game at the end. But I really liked the map and I am sure you will as well. It is sooooo nice to found cities on islands off the Pangaea coast! Enjoy!

Attached Files: