[BNW] Enjoyable Deity Games

I had a very standard game with 4 city tradition. The cataphract was not needed, I built 2 dromon for exploration and the UA well... I got an extra hammer for boats out of it. As always it's a nice bonus but nothing fantastic. Byzantium is really a lackluster Civ.

You don't really have to balance Aesthetics since it doesn't have many good policies beside the %tourism at the end, the culture bonus for city with wonder and the finisher (musicians for faith). So most of it is mid to late game stuff. Meanwhile Rationalism has 2 godly policies (opener and secularism) and 2 good ones (+%GS and 17% university). My usual path is 6/6 First tree, 1/6 to 2/6 Aesthetics (Policies while waiting Renaissance), 4/6 Rationalism, 3/6 Ideology and then bouncing between Aesthetics, finishing Rationalism, getting tier 3 ideology, maybe open exploration for Louvre. Your policy acquisition will explode once you reach archaeology + world fair. Order varies and depends on what makes most sense right now. Note that I mostly use great writers for culture boost.

Ideology is a tricky subject for CV. Assuming no futurism shenanigans, either you go for the best tree (Freedom) or you go for the tree most likely picked by the AI (Order). I usually pick freedom because I win so fast that the AI doesn't have a long time sitting around with order ideology but it is possible that for longer games Order is a good pick if initial pressure is a worry and the combination of no differing ideology penalty + Cultural revolution is good enough if your culture leader also has order.

Yet again, I post a new map in the spirit of EDG, this time EDG7. It is a standard sized Small Continents Plus map on standard speed with Polynesia. The map is unmodded. All VCs are enabled and quick combat is on. I have tried to copy the spirit of the much loved CDG26, but this one is especially for those of us, who enjoy an isolated start (which obviously is no issue with Polynesia). Regarding some of the strategic resources you will need to use your imagination. I have played it twice and it seems there is no shortage of wars between the AIs. Keep clear or join the fun!

In my own opinion the map is great fun and definitely worthwhile trying out. Have fun!

Attachments

• kame_edg7.jpg
    kame_edg7.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 237
  • EDG7Kamehameha_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    722.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
I figured that I would post a new map in the spirit of EDG, this time named EDG5. It is a standard sized Fractal map on standard speed with Theodora. The map has been modded with Really Advanced Setup. There is no shortage of space and most resources are easily available and, as you can see from the starting position, it will be easy to found a religion… In my own opinion the map itself is very fun and definitely worthwhile trying out. Enjoy!
Thanks I did enjoy this map! I did four city Tradition to lock up the Wine and took Goddess of Festivals for UA Bonus Belief. Won by wholly peaceful CV on T316. (Well, I did grief the closest neighbor early, but we had a DOF the whole rest of the game.) Only my 2nd CV outside of Brazil or Polynesia. I very much recommend this map for anyone struggling with CV, it is just that strong! (Note, game file has a minor bug. I had unlocked Satellites, but still got a CS quest to find a Natural Wonder.)

(Note, game file has a minor bug. I had unlocked Satellites, but still got a CS quest to find a Natural Wonder.)

I was not aware of that. It might have something to do with RAS. And while we are at it, have a look at the picture in this post. It has nothing to do with the Theodora game but it is still a kind of WTF-moment. In all of my several thousand hours in Civ 5, it has never happened to me before, that GBR has fish on the same tile. The picture is from a totally unmodded start.

Attachments

• GBRwithfish.jpg
    GBRwithfish.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 246
GBR has fish on the same tile.
Your Byzantium map (EDG5) has the same effect. Look at GBR due south of Lhasa.
I am replaying that one, trying for DomVC, which is something that I struggle with almost as much as with CV.

Your Byzantium map (EDG5) has the same effect. Look at GBR due south of Lhasa.
I am replaying that one, trying for DomVC, which is something that I struggle with almost as much as with CV.

I didn´t see that either. Has it happened to you before?

EDG7 won on turn 152 with a Domination Victory.

Feeling inspired after reading a writeup of an incredible turn 106 HoF win by Manpanzee I wanted to try a Polynesian Galleass rush.

Although this wasn't an ideal map there is possibility for a fairly fast sweep. I reckon a better player can shave off 20-30 turns.

Spoiler :
CivilizationV_DX11_2019_05_23_11_47_51_076.png CivilizationV_DX11_2019_05_23_11_49_24_713.png

Probably the three AIs sharing a continent up north?

Spoiler :
There were a few things that made this challenging.
  • Lack of trade route science potential.
  • Capitals that are in very defensive locations.
  • There is a lot of land around the capitals for ranged units.
Maria is the only AI close enough that can settle a city where trade routes can be established between each other. Whether it happens is luck based. An alternative would be to send a settler towards Venice. Whether the trade route science would offset the increased tech cost I'm not sure. I was able to reach Compass on turn 84 without trade route science. An extra 4 beakers for 10-20 turns could have brought that under 80.

Stockholm and London are in very advantageous positions for a defender. There are only three tiles that the city can be shot from (two with a melee ship adjacent to the city).

The best maps for a Galleass rush are maps with very tiny islands. Berlin took around 15 turns to take and I lost a quarter of my navy taking it. Bismark was able to surround his capital with CBs/XBs and also Galleasses. The added land space makes defending much easier.

Despite that it was still a fun map and I learned a lot for the next time I attempt a Polynesian Galleass rush. Thanks for posting it.

Hi there,
This time I am uploading something that definitely has nothing to do with my "normal" enjoyable deity games. However, I wanted to share this, if you are sitting at home on a rainy day and want a rough challenge. Since this is Deity and Epic game pace, the challenge only concerns the first 170 turns. You are playing Arabia, the map is unmodded and the start is good, as you can see for yourself, but… you will soon experience that this is not very straightforward. You are starting in the middle of the map and all your neighbours are either aggressive or religious, or both. I also stole a worker from a crazy lady and she wouldn´t give me peace at all after that. I had barely settled my second expansion, when there already was a formidable "queue" of different troops outside my capital. Anyway, I was thinking that the achievements would be:
15 p for every self founded city that you control on t170
40 p for founding your own religion
10 p for every city with your religion on t170
30 p for each World Wonder that you have built yourself
40 p for reaching Education before t170
60 p for each AI capital that you control on t170 and
1 p for each enemy unit killed.
Just as a reference, my points were 226, including two World Wonders.

Attachments

• HarunCrazyNeighborhoodjpg.jpg
    HarunCrazyNeighborhoodjpg.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 221
  • HarunCrazyNeighbors_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    936.1 KB · Views: 131
Hello,
I want to present to you EDG8. The civ to play is Brazil on a large sized Continents map on standard speed. The game has been modified with Really Advanced Setup. All VCs are enabled and quick combat is on. There is no shortage of luxuries and nearby are two wonders that further will improve your happiness. Needless to say, you should feel ashamed of yourself, if you don´t settle all the best spots yourself. :) Enjoy!

Attachments

• EDG8Pedro II_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    934.4 KB · Views: 210
  • edg8pedro.jpg
    edg8pedro.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 191
Hi again,
It is time for EDG9. This is an unmodded Standard sized Pangaea map with Mongolia. Before you read further I must "warn" you that it is on Epic speed. All VC:s are enabled and quick combat is on. This one I can recommend for anybody, who would like to win a DomV on Deity. It is just that good! It is in fact so good that ANY VC is possible with a help of a little warfare when it is Keshik-time. This one you WILL enjoy!!

Spoiler Do not read if you don´t want some help. I will tell about my early game. :
I started by moving my settler four tiles to the east up on the hill between the sheep. My first expansion was the incredible spot to the north, where it was possible to get 2 Citrus, 1 Cotton, 1 Cocoa, 1 Sugar, 2 Bananas AND Mt. Sinai in range. The same spot also contains Aluminium! Crazy. All in all 4 city NC on t136 and I went for the capitals of the eastern and northern neighbours with my Keshiks.

Spoiler Do not read if you don´t want some help. I will tell about my statistics at the end of the game. :
This was just incredible. I have rarely had a game on deity that I just not wanted to end just yet. I was making 1688 science per turn without focusing on it, and my culture output was 599 cpt. Gold output was 274 per turn and faith output 142 fpt. I had the all the techs for SV and I was dominating the World Congress. I won a DomV on t418 but I could have won much earlier. My seven core cities (including Paris and Vienna) were pop 41-25-23-20-20-19-19. Social Policies were full Tradition and full Rationalism, 9 points in Order, 3 in Honor, 2 in Commerce and I also had the Aestethics opener.

Attachments

• GengisSuper.jpg
    GengisSuper.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 232
  • DEpPSuperSinaiKhan_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    786.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I want to present to you EDG8. The civ to play is Brazil on a large sized Continents map on standard speed. The game has been modified with Really Advanced Setup. All VCs are enabled and quick combat is on. There is no shortage of luxuries and nearby are two wonders that further will improve your happiness.
Thanks @Nizef, I am going to give this a shot since like CV games. I will try Liberty for my first run.

Thanks @Nizef, I am going to give this a shot since like CV games. I will try Liberty for my first run.

Interesting to read what you made of it. I went 6 city Tradition and my yellow neighbour had a lot of culture as well, so later on I had to integrate his cities into the glourious Brazilian empire.

Finished the Byzantium game on T204 with Culture Victory. Strong map :) Can probably be sub 200 with better musician bomb planning.
Spoiler :

Wow, impressive. Is this a typical Freedom CV timing or is it because of the map? I never know that Freedom is this strong for CV.

Interesting to read what you made of it. I went 6 city Tradition and my yellow neighbour had a lot of culture as well, so later on I had to integrate his cities into the glourious Brazilian empire.
What turn did you win and what kind of VC? I was at war the whole game with yellow and that slowed down NC which in turn lead to my being last to Ideologies. I am soon to loose by SV to someone or another. :wallbash: Then I will retry from very early with 4-city Tradition, to see how that goes for a CV attempt.

What turn did you win and what kind of VC? I was at war the whole game with yellow and that slowed down NC which in turn lead to my being last to Ideologies. I am soon to loose by SV to someone or another. :wallbash: Then I will retry from very early with 4-city Tradition, to see how that goes for a CV attempt.

I stole a couple of workers from the yellow guy early on, but we lived in peaceful harmony after that until t240+ (when I decided he needs to go down). Mr. Khan was quite aggressive in my game (he "ate" his green neighbour early), which kept the yellow guy occupied. With six core cities I was third to ideologies and picked Order (which the yellow guy already had). I could not make it to CV but won a fairly easy SV on t311. The yellow guy and the blue guy to the east were the cultural forerunners. The dark grey guy was also annoying, because he was wonderwhoring and spamming cities all over the place.

from the yellow guy...
"ate" his green neighbour...
kept the yellow guy occupied...
which the yellow guy already had...
The yellow guy and the blue guy...
The dark grey guy was also annoying...

Just a lurker, but I am diggin' the, what, clandestine? (maybe oblique is better?) references in this thread.

Top Bottom