Eternal Damnation

Homo empathicus.

Link to video.

Say what you like about Mr Corny - and personally I think his views are of the distinctly offensive Puritanical Islamic kind - his threads certainly spark some interesting debate.

[Materiality] also [includes] abstract notions like truth, the past, the future, mind, soul, and volition, and the rest; because these things only have an existence in as much as they're represented* by material processes in the human brain (and no doubt other brains to an extent).

We’re in our quest for how an immmaterial thing could have an effect on a material thing. But we’re running into a problem. You have an extremely capacious definition of materiality. So big that I wonder what there is that could be said to be immaterial, for you.

I’m going to start by setting aside the added “material” things in this first selection from your post: the fact that all sort of abstract notions have a material existence--in our brains. I’m going to call this “second order” materiality. And here’s why I’m going to set it aside. Using this principle, I could say “immateriality” is such an abstract notion, and that when that abstract notion is at least partly responsible for my typing the sequence of letters i-m-m-a-t-e-r-i-a-l-i-t-y, there you go: “immateriality” has had an effect on something material. You’d say I was just playing word games.

So, material things include matter, light waves, magnetism, gravity, and other obvious physical stuff.

But even apart from that first way of inclucing in your definition of “material” a lot of things that many people would regard as immaterial, even your more limited understanging of materiality is very broad, broad because it includes not only matter itself but also some things, like gravity and magnetism, that many people would regard as physical and interacting with matter, but not material per se.

Now, I learn from my go-to reference source that “matter” doesn’t have a settled definition for physicists. It used to. Only things with resting weight were regarded as being matter. But now I guess there are some subatomic particles that are weightless in their own right, but influence through their motion the weight of the atom, so they are counted as part of matter, too.

And since energy and mass are now fairly fungible across a famous “equals” sign, it’s hard to say conclusively whether certain things are material or not. But for all that, physicists regard some physical forces as non-material. Electric current was going to be the one I asked you about. Do you see how, by a more limited definition of materiality, electric current is immaterial: acting on (and in) materials, but not matter itself?

You’ve invoked a very broad definition of materiality. So broad, in fact, as to make one wonder how anything at all could be immaterial. You’ll say that’s your point. But it wasn’t your point when you asked your opening question. That assumed that there were immaterial things (the soul is the specific one that prompted the question) and you didn’t see how anything immaterial could have an effect on anything material. That was an argument against immateriality. Which is a different thing than you seem to be doing now, which is defining materiality so broadly that anything immaterial simply isn’t conceivable.

If you’re interested in pursuing your first question, how can anything immaterial effect something material, I guess I’ll have to ask you to provide me with something you regard as immaterial.

Even if you don’t, I may be able to work from the following:

But from what I know of the brain it doesn't quite work like that. There may well be an area or areas of brain where the routine of liking pork chops is located. But it's more a matter of interconnected processes rather than something resembling a single grain of rice.

But this post is already getting long, so I’ll wait for a reply.

Puck Nutty said:
This calls into question God's own morality. If he created someone knowing that they would inevitably become a sociopath, how can he then punish them for doing what he knew they were going to do all along?

I thought I was clear when I wrote, that being a sociopath does not mean you are going to do bad things. Most sociopaths, including psychopaths, never actually commit crimes. There are statistical differences between crime rate of psychopaths and non-psychopaths, of course. But similar statistical differences exist between crime rates of males and females (even aside from the fact that males are more likely to be psychopaths). Being a male instead of a female increases your statistical risk of becoming a criminal perhaps even more, than being a psychopathic male instead of a non-psychopathic male.

For example, 93% of all burglars are males and only 7% are females. Perhaps God should have made only one sex ???

There is a genetic factor into crime susceptibility but also other factors, as for example research on adopted sons shows.

Percent of adopted sons who broke the law, in relative to presence of criminals in their biological and adoptive families:

No criminals in biological family and in adoptive family - 13,5%
Criminals in adoptive family but not in biological family - 14,7%
Criminals in biological family but not in adoptive family - 19,6%
Criminals present in both biological & adoptive families - 24,5%

Genetic factor was found to be stronger among sons of thieves, while much weaker among sons of murderers and killers.

If he created someone knowing that they would inevitably become a sociopath

Being a sociopath often has also advantages. Many sociopaths are very successful in pursuing their careers and reach high in the social ladder.

I don't know about the specific studies he cites, but I have heard that some studies which purport to deal with twins "separated at birth" actually included more children who were separated between the ages of 5 and 11 years old. That would be after most of the really important brain development occurs.

Even if the twins really were separated at birth, that means they shared an environment in utero. If the mother was in a condition where she did not want to keep the children, then chances are that she was undergoing the sort of stress that can have a deleterious effect on a fetus.

Twin studies often fail to take into account that certain traits which the separated twins share are also shared by adopted children in general at a much higher rate than the general populace.

If you’re interested in pursuing your first question, how can anything immaterial effect something material, I guess I’ll have to ask you to provide me with something you regard as immaterial.

Well, I'd have thought it plain and obvious that I regard souls, ghosts, and disembodied consciousnesses generally as immaterial things by definition.

I could, if given compelling evidence, accept that such things are material too. But so far I've seen none.

You see, what I fundamentally object to (or rather, what's a stumbling block for me) is this dualistic paradigm:that existence is divisible into two sorts of stuff: the material and the immaterial soul, or mind.

For me, the world is, and can only be composed, of the one stuff. And I choose to call it "matter". (It could equally be called "mind"; since if something doesn't exist in consciousness how could it be said to exist at all? And that's an equally valid point of view, but probably less accessible to the modern Western way of thinking. So let's stick with calling it matter and talking about material things.)

I think you're right that my definition of material things is broad. But I don't think it's too broad. As you say, energy and matter are interchangeable.

At base, all I'm saying is that the soul conjecture doesn't hold water unless, or until, we can demonstrate that it has an effect on the physical.

I can understand why people have traditionally thought in these terms. But I think they're probably mistaken. Everything I see that human beings do now can be explained without recourse to the soul. And the soul, if truly existing in a non-material form, would break the Law of Conservation of Energy. I'd be fine with it if it did, but it seems very improbable that it does.

The most likely explanation for people thinking in terms of the soul is the bare naked truth of our mortality. Faced with this enormity is it that surprising that people have come up with the (likely) fictitious notion of something that does survive the death of the physical body?

The other possibility is that the soul is a material standing waveform based on the proprioception of our consciousness (or something of the kind). But such a thing should be detectable by some kind of apparatus. There was that guy who went around weighing moribund people immediately before and after death, and concluded (allegedly) that the soul weighs 3 1/2 oz. I think his results have been challenged (or outright dismissed as nonsense). And in any case he made himself very unpopular with the relatives.

There's yet another possibility, of course: that we're all pan-dimensional beings with one foot in the familiar space-time world, and another in the, for want of a better word, eternal dimension. (Eternal, literally "out of time" not to be confused with "forever and evermore".)

Which is a whole other field for idle and no doubt fruitless speculation

And the soul, if truly existing in a non-material form, would break the Law of Conservation of Energy.

How so? Given the law of conservation of energy, into which form of energy does consciousness transform after biological death?

BTW, the very existence of the Universe breaks the law of conservation of energy, which says that it is impossible to create energy.

This is not specified by my source.
Then the results are highly question. If we are talking older children then the instability of their biological home could have a much much larger role in their eventual criminality than biology could. In order for a study to truly show a biological link the children would have needed to be newborn adoptions where there would have been no exposure to nurturing from the original home.

BTW, the very existence of the Universe breaks the law of conservation of energy, which says that it is impossible to create energy.

No it doesn't, because we don't know if the universe was even created in the first place, nor do we know how much energy is within.

No it doesn't, because we don't know if the universe was even created in the first placep

We know that the Universe with all of its energy did not exist at one point, and then they started to exist. Of course you might want to believe that the Universe always existed, but such a belief is no more (actually less) scientific than a belief in some higher power (like God). It has been discussed here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=542927

All energy we know, is approximately 13.8 billion years old. Before that time, the Universe did not exist, which breaks the law in question.

Then the results are highly question. If we are talking older children then the instability of their biological home could have a much much larger role in their eventual criminality than biology could. In order for a study to truly show a biological link the children would have needed to be newborn adoptions where there would have been no exposure to nurturing from the original home.

What's needed is a double-blind twin study.

Take two twins without their knowledge, (nor the knowledge of their parents or adopting parents either but that's more difficult), and place one in the care of criminals and the other in the care of a law-abiding family.

Then come back in 30 years or so.

I reckon a pilot study of 2 or 3 hundred twins should yield significant results. And tell us whether it's worth investigating further.

We know that the Universe with all of its energy did not exist at one point, and then they started to exist.

No we don't, we only know that about the observable universe. We have no idea if it's a part of a larger reality, a multiverse, or what.

So, material things include matter, light waves, magnetism, gravity, and other obvious physical stuff. But also abstract notions like truth, the past, the future, mind, soul, and volition, and the rest

Well, I'd have thought it plain and obvious that I regard souls, ghosts, and disembodied consciousnesses generally as immaterial things by definition.

When you explicitly tell me that you regard souls as material, I cannot take it as "plain and obvious" that you regard them as immaterial.

But more to the point, you take the impossibility of an immaterial thing effecting a material thing as proof that the soul, as generally understood, can't exist. Then you take a bunch of things that are generally understood to be immaterial as in fact material (but (sometimes) not the soul).

Eh? Then I've made a mistake. I don't know why I've put soul in there at all!

Oh yes I do (I've just remembered):

The notion of the soul is a material thing. The soul itself isn't.

Notions are material but they can refer to things that aren't. Is that clearer?

I mean, it's possible for me to conceive of fictions, lies and just things that don't have any existence in reality. But my conceptions, as brain waves, are real. And material.

Warpus:

No we don't, we only know that about the observable universe.

OK, but believing in non-observable universe / reality is totally unscientific. Science can tell you only about what is observable.

We have no idea if it's a part of a larger reality, a multiverse, or what.

In the thread I linked, Unicorny explained why believing in a multiverse is less logical than believing in a higher power (like God).

Borachio:

Notions are material but they can refer to things that aren't. Is that clearer?

No it is not clearer, sorry. You define "material" so broadly that there is really nothing left which is not material, IMO.

All we know about the Universe before the Big Bang is that we don't know anything about it. We simply can't draw any conclusions whatever from this lack of knowledge.

But also abstract notions like truth, the past, the future, mind, soul, and volition, and the rest

The future and the past do not exist as material things. Only the present exists like this. Images of the past are material, but not the past itself (for example, everything you see with your eyes is always the past - you cannot see the present time due to light speed limitations).

All we know about the Universe before the Big Bang is that we don't know anything about it.

We know that the Universe did not exist before the Big Bang. We don't know anything about other hypothetical universe / universes before it.

We simply can't draw any conclusions whatever from this lack of knowledge.

This is not lack of knowledge but lack of evidence, and from lack of evidence science draws a lot of conclusions.

Yet again, they exist as abstract notions in your brain. I agree the future and past don't exist as material things (or at least we don't think they do).

That's a common point in arguments between atheists and religious people. If I do a good deed it's not because I'm racking up points to put toward some after-death existence. I do it because my conscience or sense of ethics or honor tells me it's the right thing to do.

Well, I don't know that it needs to be an argument at all. It's an argument between certain atheists and certain religious people. The disconnects seem kinda twofold from where I stand, overassuredness of self righteousness in many of the religious and overly narrow conception of the divine in the the not.

Now consider the atheist who gives up their life to save someone else... Jesus' sacrifice cant compare, he came back in 3 days

The sacrifice is pretty muddy. The !!!Happy Easter Party!!!! version is pretty lightweight. God made man implies that very human doubt are possible, feelings of betrayal are possible, feeling of the abandonment of God are possible upon The Cross. Bear in mind the decent into Hell is what happened during those three days. The sacrifice wasn't a "hey, I got your back, don't worry a thing" sort of thing. It was a "pay in fullness of suffering sort of thing. Particularly again if you start being more flexible with the conception of hell as perhaps not being simply lakes of torture but perhaps an existence in the complete absence/rejection of the divine.

Top Bottom