[NFP] Ethiopia Update Discussion Thread

yeah i’d say the nose and the fingers are the main two big issues

It's just kind of bizarre that they're only reusing idles and diplomatic animations, since 1. they require little-to-no lipsyncing and less filmed reference than the fully spoken scenes and 2. they are unskippable animations that you see more than any other during gameplay.

The idle pose is a very important part of establishing the characters body language and personality - imagine if Kristina reused Victoria's pose and we didn't get any passive aggressive reading. I don't find this choice lazy so much as downright weird, since fully spoken scenes for the new leaders are still being animated beautifully - squarepegging Menelik into Cyrus's personality just makes me have no idea what this guy is meant to be like. Premature I guess but I feel the same with Bolivar acting as chill and friendly as Pedro, he feels like a completely different character in his spoken animations.

It's just kind of bizarre that they're only reusing idles and diplomatic animations, since 1. they require little-to-no lipsyncing and less filmed reference than the fully spoken scenes and 2. they are unskippable animations that you see more than any other during gameplay.

The idle pose is a very important part of establishing the characters body language and personality - imagine if Kristina reused Victoria's pose and we didn't get any passive aggressive reading. I don't find this choice lazy so much as downright weird, since fully spoken scenes for the new leaders are still being animated beautifully - squarepegging Menelik into Cyrus's personality just makes me have no idea what this guy is meant to be like. Premature I guess but I feel the same with Bolivar acting as chill and friendly as Pedro, he feels like a completely different character in his spoken animations.
i don’t mind having reused idles provided they’re reskins of the right leaders.

Bolivar and LSS fit fine, imo, but Cyrus doesn’t fit Menelik well

I don't mind the fingers, look way better than the fat sausage fingers some of the models have.

It seems that Menelik II is having some clipping issues :p

menelikclipping.PNG

It seems that Menelik II is having some clipping issues :p

View attachment 562982
idk what happened, menelik’s animation work seems to just generally poor.

his design looks good, but they’ve done a poor job on his fingers, nose and now this apparently too.

Cyrus was definitely not the best template for him, I’d imagine even John Curtin could’ve been a better choice

idk what happened, menelik’s animation work seems to just generally poor.

his design looks good, but they’ve done a poor job on his fingers, nose and now this apparently too.

Cyrus was definitely not the best template for him, I’d imagine even John Curtin could’ve been a better choice

When I first saw Menelik's leader portrait thing in the corner a few days back, I expected him to be based on John Curtain. I was surprised that they used Cyrus as a template over John.

Honestly didn't anticipate Ethiopia having a hill bias, let alone a volcano bias. But I like it. Makes sense. Is good.

Honestly didn't anticipate Ethiopia having a hill bias, let alone a volcano bias. But I like it. Makes sense. Is good.
Based off of the unique improvement, I did. I didn't expect his agenda to be "the hill Pachacuti" though.

When I first saw Menelik's leader portrait thing in the corner a few days back, I expected him to be based on John Curtain. I was surprised that they used Cyrus as a template over John.
Yeah; because of the hat I was expecting John as well! But yeah; Cyrus' and Aminatore's leader animations aren't that obvious in my opinion, so I'm fine with them. Pedro's on the other hand are very obvious to me with the laugh and that horrible denouncement animation; I would rather they change or update Simón's if any.

Yeah; because of the hat I was expecting John as well! But yeah; Cyrus' and Aminatore's leader animations aren't that obvious in my opinion, so I'm fine with them. Pedro's on the other hand are very obvious to me with the laugh and that horrible denouncement animation; I would rather they change or update Simón's if any.
cyrus’s is obvious: look at his weird hand thing

side note, i hope that there’s a cyrus rework mod soon, i don’t like how they’ve made him out to be some evil devious guy in

side note, i hope that there’s a cyrus rework mod soon, i don’t like how they’ve made him out to be some evil devious guy in
Menelik looks like he took that position.

Reading all that comments about leader animations, I don't regret having switched over to the static, unanimated variant long ago (for performance/CPU usage reasons)

I feel like I'm the only one who wants to see them animated in all their glory. So I say bring them on! :cool:

yeah...like, don't you guys all instantly hit ESC whenever a leader animation appears, anyways ? I know I do
In multiplayer, yes. But In single player I watch them all.

Faith + Culture is my jam, so that seems pretty cool. Little disappointed that the ability bonuses are "bonus faith from stuff you already do" and "passive bonus faith and science by doing basically nothing". Doesn't seem super engaging. Like someone said before, I guess the goal is to churn out as much Faith as humanly possible and buy your way to victory, letting the LUA bolster your tech.

Top Bottom