1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethnicae - Mac / PC compatible Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by coffee junkie, Oct 3, 2009.

1. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

I'd just like to take a moment to congratulate coffee junkie on those French units. They really are very good skins.

2. coffee junkie

coffee junkie Tech Hippie

Thanks a lot zulu9812 but if you talk about the Medieval units, you should congratulate too the guy who released very interesting textures in RTW ;) It inspired me a lot to bring to Civ 4 some new interesting "ethnic" flavors :)

3. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

I am ridiculously excited about finally have a quality Maori leaderhead available and I hope CJ doesn't mind but I've been tinkering for a few days on Tama te Kapua to fix a few glitches and make him look a bit more authentic. Here's the result:

He needs a bit of a nosejob to make it a bit flatter (current nose is great when viewed front on like in the above pic but it looks a bit too pointy in profile). I assume that requires work in Blender though which is far beyond my capabilities. Thanks so much for this leader CJ!

Attached Files:

4. coffee junkie

You made an excellent work Xyth !!!

Send me your file by pm and I will work on the nose. Then, we'll upload a common LH in the leader heads hall of fame :p

5. crazyanswer

crazyanswer Warlord

Where can I find the orginal picture of title screen, it is awesome :)

Thanks.

6. coffee junkie

This is the Piri Reis Map, compiled in 1513 from military intelligence by the Ottoman-Turkish admiral and cartographer Piri Reis.

The half of the map which survives shows the western coasts of Europe and North Africa and the coast of Brazil with reasonable accuracy.

Google and you'll find easily different sizes of this map.

I just retouched some pixels to get a 1024x1024 square for the mod. It is still the old "ethnic mix more" titlle ... In the next update, it will be Ethnicae instead :)

7. Keinpferd

Keinpferd King

Great tattoo details. I'd suggest to apply and repeat all lights variations, that model the three-dimensionalty of the body (like on the forehead), on the black tattooed parts of the body, too. Just look at pictures of the skin of black people. The "lights" on their skin are surprisingly light and shiny. If you do that with the tattoo areas, Tama will come to life even more. Highlighted areas of a breast muscle need to coincide with highlighted black tattoo areas. Hope you can make sense of this;) without visual example.

8. coffee junkie

I did the nose which seems ok for Xyth.

I fully see your point ... I only wonder how am I going to do that ... :crazyeye: hum ...

9. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

I don't know much about the Maori to be honest, but I think adding some decorations/accessories would make it pop too.

10. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

What about something like the 'thing that runs down his chest' (sorry, couldn't remember the word) on this picture:

I believe Hannibal have a corresponding bodypart that could just be retextured.

11. coffee junkie

For this leader, I think I'm gonna listen Xyth taste and advices since he knows surely better than me Maori tradition.

Even this is Polynesia/Pacific civilization, this is obviously a Maori leader with Maori tattoos.

My personal taste goes to simplicity. No too much stuff. Tatoos speak for themselves and it's enough. No need more. But this is my point of view.

;)

12. veBear

I surely respect that, thought I think I should inform that the guy from the picture is a Maori Warrior, so if that is a maori leader it might not be such a bad idea.

13. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

His facial tattoos (moko) are Maori but his body tattoos are more Eastern Pacific or possibly Samoan. They work fine together though, suits an early settler of Aotearoa such as Tama te Kapua was.

As for additional ornaments, we're a bit limited since he is bald. Feathers or a comb securing his hair would be the obvious choices. Other than that our best bet would be a necklace - a tiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hei-tiki) or a fishhook made from pounamu(greenstone/jade) or bone.

Other options would be a kiwi feather cloak over one shoulder or perhaps a taiaha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiaha). The mere (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere_(weapon) is the more chiefly weapon but I don't see how we could work that in.

One or more of these additions would be cool but I agree that simplicity is important.

Incidentally I'm currently in a tent with very sporadic Internet connection on my iPhone until the new year so if you don't hear from me much til then, that's why :)

14. veBear

The spear from IgorS's congolese LH could be turned around and put on his back. Would fit just fine I believe as a Taiaha. That would already make it look a bit more... well more :)

Then you could put on one of those sash-things as in the picture of the Maori warrior I posted earlier so it looks like the Taiaha is currently resting on his back through the use of this, and you got an LH that's more... well, more :lol:

I don't want to force you to do this though, and it's your choice if you want to follow my suggestions or not. I'll say we should see what the other's in the thread thinks.

15. coffee junkie

Yes ! I forgot it is summer time in NZ !!! Xyth under the tent with his iPhone !!! :lol: :lol: trying a connection to CivFanatics !!! :lol: :lol:

Excellent ! Bravo Xyth for your fidelity to the forum ! ;)

So, we won't worry and we'll see you more after the new year ... Happy new year : Xyth-under-the-tent !!! :)

I understand your point veBear

Believe me, I watch so many other's threads and stuff I sometimes forget where I dl some unit or who made it.

But, the thing with Tama Te Kapua is that it was my idea to make a leader very simple, without ornaments and stuff.

Many great leaders are made around by great modders. I don't consider myself like a good leaderhead maker. So, I prefer keeping Tama Te Kapua as simple as possible.

But if you wish, take it and make another version with all your ideas. I mean, really, it is not a problem at all. We serve the community with as many choices as possible and that's good man :)

For now, I'm working on Tama Te Kapua to improve the colors, the shadows, the tattoos and so on. But I won't show anything before january because of time missing ;)

I'll be proud if you decide to work on Tama Te Kapua with your own ideas ! :)

16. flying toaster

flying toaster City-State Liberator

lolol, and again fighting over the last stick of lipstick guys ? ;)

I'd just say "More more more, how do you like it ? how do you like it ?" :p

More seriously, not that the Maori aren't nice and cool but they weren't much on appearance ( ie. specific clothes, weapon, etc ... the chief had more and that's all ) weren't they ?
    So consequently, seeing a guy with the typical tattoos seems good enough for me. How could he be more ?
    I mean, I do see the point but I don't understand how it would improve it.

IMO, he's fine the way he is.

:snowcool:

17. veBear

I feel bad about complaining now :sad:

It is a good leader, and if you want to keep it that way, you shall do so. end of discussion :)

18. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Don't feel bad.

Also, none of this is anybody's property so you can take anybody's work and do whatever you like with it. I will probably edit this LH for my own mod as a third leader for Polynesia, so if you don't do anything with it I will anyway. :goodjob:

19. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

20. veBear

^That sure is a stealthy spearman :wow: