Ethnically Diverse Units (4/16/06)

I got a Mod to that effect made I had high hopes for it but I found that durring run-time the game would switch unit back to their default UnitMeshs. I'm not shure if it will ever be possible to overcome this limitation without getting into the linkages between the exe and graphics engine.

If anyone is interested in continuing it as their own project I can bundle up the existing code and make it avalible. The Mod works by loading a new XML file called FlavorUnits.xml which contains "Flavors" which are named groupings of UnitType-ArtDef combos, these are loaded into a new Info class. Each Civ can reference a Flavor on its CivilizationInfo.xml, as the game runs the flavor of the active player is tracked and the getArtDef function is hacked to redirect to the replacment data. It works but not consistently and I dont know why.

It was a pain to install, but once I got it working, it's really great! Kudos for all your hard work!

The 2.6 units are looking great. The egpytian spearmen especially.

How can i implement this into the revolution mod without any conflict? I've tried just copying and pasting it but it says something about the unit info's for each unit.

How can i implement this into the revolution mod without any conflict? I've tried just copying and pasting it but it says something about the unit info's for each unit.
It's complicated, I can't just tell you how to do it in 3 easy steps or something like that. In general however I haven't changed any unit fundamentals, there are no new unit types or anything like that, so as long as you make sure to update all the necessary files - unitinfos, artdefines_units and the civilizationsinfo, it should work.

Start with just one unit make sure you get it working and once you do I'm sure you'll know why it wasn't working before and rest of the units will go easy.

White Rabbit have you heard about my modular loading DLL, if you were to use it your units would be much more easily ported to other mods provided they made use of the Modular Code.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the EDU copy of CIV4CityLSystem.xml seems to be missing the modern harbor and cothon Firaxis added with patch 2.08.
I'll look into that but are you sure you're not using the xml file from the vanilla assets?

I'll look into that but are you sure you're not using the xml file from the vanilla assets?

Double checked, it is from Warlords Assets. Vanilla version was 76 KB, Warlords 100KB. Also noted that the modification date on the file is Sunday August 13, 2006 (before the 2.08 patch release). Also, it does actually have a cothon - just not two versions. (What do you call them - meshes? nifs? ArtRefs?)

He's right Rabbit White, I noted the same last week, and I based the building mod I sent to you on your Civ4cityLsystem file.

Gaurav, how do you mean 2 cothon versions?

Okay, I know why those things are missing, I didn't actually update it to 2.08, I just did a few quick tests and when I didn't notice any problems I figured none of the files EDU is using were affected by the patch... obviously I was wrong. :blush:

I'm going to fix it in the next update, which should be coming out this weekend.

Next version is up. The horbor issue is fixed, and among other things I've added several modern units.

Thank you for your hard work Rabbit :goodjob:

I've been updating my modpack and was just waiting for this last piece to the puzzle. Thanks again. :D

n00b Alert!

Sorry guys but I have a stupid problem. I Dl'ed EDU 2.6 and extracted it to me Mods Folder. However, when I play the game, the units haven't changed. I'm not using Warlords and am using 1.61 patch of Civ. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Actually, some of the units changed by the main ones haven't....

n00b Alert!

Sorry guys but I have a stupid problem. I Dl'ed EDU 2.6 and extracted it to me Mods Folder. However, when I play the game, the units haven't changed. I'm not using Warlords and am using 1.61 patch of Civ. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Actually, some of the units changed by the main ones haven't....

It looks like you forgot to "install" the XML files. The zip contains 3 folders, "Ethnically Diverse Units" is the main mod folder and it goes into MODs directory. And you also need the Assets_Vanilla folder, or more accurately you need to extract the XML folder inside it, into the Assets folder of the mod - i.e. [civ4 install folder]/mods/ethnically diverse units/assets/

Let me know if this worked.

Top Bottom