Ethnically Diverse Units (4/16/06)

Yes I have made an new Formation file which is identical to the original except everything is classbased rather then typebased (note types are still valid if you wanted to include them). This file is the default for CCCP and will give original formations to all the games units so long as you don't add any new UnitClasses.

This is all avalible imediatly with the 2.08.03 release of the CCCP (see my sig).

Kets Formations are an optional upgrade and makes use of a new "Super Class" based GroupSize tool, UnitClasses can reference a GroupSizeType Global Define. Ive created ~30 such groupings along the lines of "Cavalry", "Armor", "Scouts" etc etc. Theirs now a UnitClassInfos.xml module in the CCCP which assigns these high level groupings to all UnitClasses, (as a module it wont conflict if you include your own UnitClass file and UnitClasses that don't get a reference will just default to the sizes declared on the UnitInfos.xml), The new Global Define files in the CCCP then perfectly replicates the games original size groupings so the mod active but invisible in its default state. You can play with the new GlobalDefines to do some modest changes in Groupsizes but its most powerful when combined with new Formations as it extends the new Sizes to all those Unique Units automatically.

Kets formation mod is broken down into a new total class based formation file, a set of new groupsize global defines and the global unit scale reduction done on the Detail manager. Any existing formation mods could be easily converted to this method, just use a text editor to cut out UU references and convert the tags to Class, then edit a copy of the SizeGroupings to your preferences.

Thanks, Impaler, this makes it a lot easier :) The file's nice and small too, only a meg.

EDIT : So I presume the files I need are these :

Code:
Civ4FormationInfos.xml
Civ4FormationSchema.xml
Civ4UnitSchema.xml
SizeGroup_Civ4UnitClassInfos.xml

Do I need the DLL and Python files as well?

Yes the CCCP DLL is needed to read the new data off the files, Their are also various Global define XML files that give defaults values you would need to use in order to have un-modified play. These are all in xml/GlobalDefines so keep that directory other then that you should be able to strip away all python and new Schemas without any issues.

The easiest and recommended way to use CCCP is to delete your CustomAssets folder, Download the CCCP Assets package, extract, rename it to CustomAssets and just stick it in as the new CustomAssets package. Then run any mod that doesn't have its own DLL (like EDU) as you normally would.

Oh. :( I don't like using the CustomAssets folder, or DLL's (haven't successfully compiled one yet). I think I'll leave the formations for now and come back to them later. Thanks anyway

Looks good but how the hell do I install 2.6? There's no documentation included and I can't even find a forum for it. There's only this one for 2.8 as far as I can see.

Looks good but how the hell do I install 2.6? There's no documentation included and I can't even find a forum for it. There's only this one for 2.8 as far as I can see.
2.6 is the main download, i.e. if you click the "Download 2.6" link at the top of the first post, and then click the "Download Ethnically Diverse Units" you'll get the 2.6 version, and then the 2.8 patch is just a direct download. Sorry that this is not clear enough :blush: :)

2.6 is the main download, i.e. if you click the "Download 2.6" link at the top of the first post, and then click the "Download Ethnically Diverse Units" you'll get the 2.6 version, and then the 2.8 patch is just a direct download. Sorry that this is not clear enough :blush: :)

That's not what I meant. I have the 2.6 version, I just don't know what to do with it. You have installation instructions, both in the archive and on this site, for 2.8 but not for 2.6. And I'm noticing a lot of files that don't have anything to do with units. What's all that about? What else have you included in this mod? Your thread deals pretty much excusively with 2.8, there's very little info on 2.6 itself.

That's not what I meant. I have the 2.6 version, I just don't know what to do with it. You have installation instructions, both in the archive and on this site, for 2.8 but not for 2.6. And I'm noticing a lot of files that don't have anything to do with units. What's all that about? What else have you included in this mod? Your thread deals pretty much excusively with 2.8, there's very little info on 2.6 itself.
Installation of 2.6 is pretty much the same as any mod. It's best to completely remove previous version of EDU but you should be able to simply overwrite it with 2.6. (I'll put back the detailed instructions I had before in the evening when I get back home.) And to see what's in 2.6 exactly check out the version history "spoiler" in the first post.

IRT Willem: Assuming you're using Warlords.

1) Unzip the archive. Anywhere easy to access will do.

2) Open the Assets_Warlords folder. Drag and Drop the files from there into the Ethnically Diverse Units Folder.

3) Open the directory where you installed Civilization IV.

4) Open the Warlords directory under the Civ IV directory.

5) Open the Mods directory under the Warlords directory.

6) Drag and Drop the Ethnically Diverse Units folder into the open Mods folder.

This should install the EDU. Load up Civ 4 Warlords and launch the mod from within the game. You're good to go.

Was this why you decided to flame the community?

Was this why you decided to flame the community?

No, it was the fact that pretty much every mod I downloaded couldn't be bothered to include any explanation either. It was like the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

And I wasn't trying to flame anyone, I was trying to offer some constructive criticism. Maybe my tone came across as somewhat hostile at times, but I get that way when several people start gunning for me at once. Unfortunately that happens far too often on this site which is why I don't really spend very much time here anymore. My Civ home is over at Apolyton now.

And thanks for the explanation BTW.

n00b Alert!

Sorry guys but I have a stupid problem. I Dl'ed EDU 2.6 and extracted it to me Mods Folder. However, when I play the game, the units haven't changed. I'm not using Warlords and am using 1.61 patch of Civ. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Actually, some of the units changed by the main ones haven't....

It looks like you forgot to "install" the XML files. The zip contains 3 folders, "Ethnically Diverse Units" is the main mod folder and it goes into MODs directory. And you also need the Assets_Vanilla folder, or more accurately you need to extract the XML folder inside it, into the Assets folder of the mod - i.e. [civ4 install folder]/mods/ethnically diverse units/assets/

Let me know if this worked.

Sorry I have the same problem: no EDUnits but the Vanilla's; no modified Dawn of Man screen. This is what i have done:
Civ version: Warlords v.2.08;
EDU v2.6 installed:
- copied the v2.6 mod's folder 'Ethnically Diverse Units' into '[civ4 install folder]/Warlords/mods/';
- copied the v2.6 mod's folder 'Assets_Warlords/XML' into '[civ4 install folder]/Warlords/mods/Ethnically Diverse Units/Assets/' and overwritten all.
EDU v2.8 patch installed:
- copied the v2.8 mod's folder 'Warlords/Assets' into '[civ4 install folder]/Warlords/mods/Ethnically Diverse Units/' and overwritten all.
Edited the file '[Docs folder]/My games/Warlords/CivilizationIV.ini'
- modified the line "Mod = 0" in "Mod = Mods\Ethnically Diverse Units"; the mod is correctly loaded.

I feel myself stupid but I don't know what is wrong or what i have forgotten. Thank you in advance for your help.

I hope so! This mod is fantastic and there are so many new good units around which could fill some gaps. Is there any chance for an update in the near future? :)
CellKu

The mod is still on but it has been put on the back burner for now as I am busy with other projects. I have actually been doing some tweaking to it but just small things not worth posting an update for. Unfortunately I can't tell you when I'll be able to get back to it fully but I will, that's a guarantee. :)

no EDUnits but the Vanilla's

Something stranger than the behaviour of Civ4 is hard to find..:
I have RENAMED the folder ..\Mods\Ethnically Diverse Units and its new name is ..\Mods\blablabla; i have properly edited CivilizationIV.ini now the mod works!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have restored the previous name and the previous entry in CivilizationIV.ini and the mod doesn't work again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand how this can be possible; i don't understand how a folder name can jeopardise the functionality of a game and i don't understand why Firaxis has made modding Civ4 so hard and difficult to understand for monkeys like me that doesn't know XML, tag programming and other stuff like this.. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I WANT A CIV3STYLE EDITOR!!!!! With checkboxes, listboxes and those other friendly-user things...

maybe it is that dumb 255 character limit that DOS used to have? A path can't contain more than that. I never counted, but that is what pops into mind.

Thank you for the suggestion but my path doesn't contain more than 255 chars; However i have tested also a name longer than "Ethnically Diverse Units" (that is to say: "Ethnically Diverse Unitsssss") and it works!

Top Bottom