Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by MoreEpicThanYou, Aug 10, 2012.

1. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

Any suggestions on where I can I find contemporary (reflecting recent patches) guides or strategies for EU IV? There is so much dated stuff it can be hard to find current information.

2. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Moderator Supporter

Well, it's finally come to it - Venice is at war with Timbuktu! Now things are really going to get real!

Spoiler 1920x1200 :

Well, okay, Timbuktu won't be able to do much, and Mali probably won't either. But Spain has declared war on Venice, seeking their independence from the tyranny imposed on them 30 years ago by the Queen of Venice when she inherited their throne. Venice's current king is but a lad, and I would fear for his future if he were not allied with the Commonwealth... but if Venice loses Spain, let's not pretend that it would not by and large be in my interests.

My current allies in this Ottoman game are The Netherlands, England, Russia, Georgia, Alodia, and Ethiopia. All of which, of course, are heathens, but as a humanist country, why should that both us? We hope to eventually make Georgia and Alodia vassals in spite of the faith difference, while Russia is a land ally against the Commonwealth, and England and the Netherlands serve as a hedge against France and Spain. The Sunni Byzantine Empire is a vassal, as they have been for over 150 years, although a disloyal one for about 98% of that time due to being a historical rival. In retrospect I would have annexed them outright, but there is some prestige in "convincing" the heirs of Rome that Islam is the one true faith. I may yet place my own dynasty on the throne to further legitimize our claims to Europe, but the current Eastern Roman Emperor is simply too good to replace.

The most surprisingly successful country thus far is Theodoro, who escaped my ambitions just long enough to ally with my own ally, Russia, and then gobble up lands from Crimea and, quite recently, the Golden Horde. I would show them who's the real boss of Crimea, but I'm not quite ready to forsake Russia yet - the Commonwealth is still formidable, and it was not that long ago I switched alliances from a hapless Nogai whose bacon I had already saved more than once to Muscovy-soon-to-be-Russia.

In the New World, French La Plata is the model colony, with Portuguese Brazil having become a bit of a rebellious embarrassment. Spain has colonies in the West Indies and Mexico, but little wealth to show for them, while Scottish Colombia is proving a bit more lucrative for its overlord - who, shockingly, is neither rivals nor enemies with England, and has not fought them the entire game. I've never seen such a peaceful relationship between England and Scotland in all my EU4 games. Brittany and the Netherlands are working on colonizing North America - again, the peace between France and Brittany has been a surprise, though not an unpleasant one.

My current plans are to focus on expanding in Arabia, Africa, and towards India, with expansion into Europe as aggressive expansion allows. Italy would be a tempting target, but good coalition bait as well, and the Pope and I were allies back in the day, so we're a bit lenient on him for old times' sake The Pope was even so kind as to not join the Religious League Wars when I supported the Protestant cause, which naturally deserves commendation for his dedication to peace.

All in all a pretty fun game. Perhaps a bit too much dedication to helping my allies early on - notably Nogai, who was almost completely depending on my military to not collapse - but overall a good Ottoman game, and despite the end of Janissary support, still with a bright future. Paradox has also added quite a few Ottoman events since I last played them (in multi-player, that time) in 1.7.3, so it's been worth giving them another go.

3. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

I have a bizarre 1.17 game going on right now, where both Wallachia and Trebizond are being unusually successful and Anatolia is being tidily divided between various powers.

Attached Files:

4. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

How the hell am I failing this hard as the Ottomans!

Ok then, so maybe failing isn't the right word, but my usual strategy has stopped producing the desired results this patch. Eating Serbia and Bosnia early on in one war when their both only allied to each other produces a coalition with teeth, and AQ gets eaten by QQ before I can take back my core and spit out Syra for me to vassalize, feed its cores and then diplo annex. I do wish I had the DLC that allows me to give territory to vassals in peace deals, or at the very least a way to give my vassals land I don't want to core and deal with the rebel problems for without a prestige loss.

5. Silv Something

Silv Something Pi(e) Loving Maniac

I bought this game during a summer Steam sale and just finished my first and so far only game. Steam says it took me 100 hours (!), though some of that was getting a handle on the controls and mechanics at the beginning.

I played as the Ottomans; I think I was pretty successful. Despite the fact that I never took colonial or exploration ideas, my colonial nations grew quite large. It seems taking colonies from others is much faster than doing it the hard way.

Toward the late game I was creating bordergore in Europe, making France spit out nations most of which I was able to vassalize but Gascony refused. I was allied with them and they declared a nationalist war on France, who was fighting her revolutionaries.

My very last war was against Bengal and Malacca so I could bring my Indochina region into the contiguous Ottoman empire. Ottoman Indochina had started out as a mission to conquer a province with the chinaware trade good and grew from there. I never did get around to conquering all of the Americas or the British Isles. Now I'm looking for a new nation to play as.

Spoiler :

6. Quintillus

I'll say you did well! Quite possibly than I will do in my current Ottoman game, and I'd played 700 hours before it started.

I don't suppose Scandinavia or Ming were long-term allies? Both seem to have also done very well.

There's so many interesting nations to try. IMO, an HRE game, particularly as a mid-sized HRE nation, is a classic, but there's a lot of variety across the world, and even now there's a lot of areas I haven't explored sufficiently in-depth.

7. Silv Something

Silv Something Pi(e) Loving Maniac

I didn't ally Scandinavia and I don't think I ever allied Ming. I'm not sure if the two of them were allies.

The Mingsplosion never seemed to happen, I wonder if it was because they were able to westernize off of Ottoman Indochina?

I've started an Austria game. I've prevented the Shadow Kingdom event and now I've replaced some unfavorable electors with OPMs that I've released from other nations. Also I inherited Burgundy, even though I wasn't married to them; nor were ever at war! I have been excommunicated twice though. Preventing the Shadow Kingdom did require vassalizing the pope.

Austria currently looks north to Brandenburg: they have a 71 year old ruler, a royal marriage with myself, and no heir. :mischief:

8. Quintillus

Ah, the Burgundian Succession Crisis. It happens fairly often; you can read up about the details here if you wish (though I don't recommending reading about all events since that can be a spoiler; but this one in particular it's interesting to see what the possible outcomes are). Perhaps my favorite of the outcomes I've seen was when Lorraine was the marriage partner who inherited their non-French lands; I then allied Lorraine, and made them a semi-major power by game's end.

The Mingspolosion doesn't always happen, regardless of westernization. It's highly tied to whether they can keep the Mandate of Heaven (-5 revolt risk per province) or lose it (+5 revolt risk per province). Losing the Mandate of Heaven + low stability, especially if there is also low legitimacy, can lead to a Mingspolsion fairly quickly - although I've also seen them regain the Mandate on rare occasions and keep most of China together. My guess is they kept the Mandate in your game, and thus didn't have too much difficulty keeping China united.

Westernization itself causes countries to implode fairly often, since it also raises revolt risk for an extended period of time. I've seen the Ottomans, Persia, and Russia all grind to screeching halts, sometimes imploding catastrophically, due to trying to westernize, and it's possible for that to happen farther east as well. If it can be pulled off successfully it tends to work well, but the AI can certainly struggle with it at times, particularly if their army becomes hamstrung by a tough war in the middle of it.

9. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

I've only played a little eu4 recently, partly because I've been busy and it was summer but also because I'm waiting for Rights if Man to arrive. Just can't stick in a game when I see those new institutions!

Think my first new game will be Ethiopia, I will try to own all of Africa and grab the Coptic holy sites from the Ottomans. Should be a challenge due to kicking colonisers out of 'my' land (oh and the Ottomans!).

10. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

I know I will try the Mesoamerican game. I believe they said reforming the religion automatically gives you all institutions from your more advanced neighbour.

11. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Yes I think that's what they said. Well you go for a sunset invasion or stay in the America's?

12. JohannaK

Nah, no Sunset Invasion. If anything, some Pacific or African colonisation.

13. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

I hear Indonesia is nice this time of year......

14. paulmclem

paulmclem Warlord

Bought EU IV in the last Paradox sale on Steam. Have now watched about 10 hours of tutorials, written my own guide and am pushing 20 hours into a Castile campaign. Despite what many people say, I don't see it as horrifically complicated to play, it just takes time and effort to work out the mechanics and become more than average at it. Some very good Let's Plays out there to sharpen your tactics.

15. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老任森林

It's not complicated it's just bad >:[

16. paulmclem

paulmclem Warlord

Paradox sale on at the moment. Most stuff 66-75% off.

17. Arakhor

At Steam or their store?

18. JohannaK

Their store.

paulmclem likes this.
  19. Quintillus

Started a new game as France in 1.20, and it's now 1512 and Castile has joined the HRE, complicating my plans for conquering them. And while the HRE is weak, the leader-for-half-a-century The Palatinate has strengthened their position recently.

How did Castile join the HRE? In early versions, I believe the HRE could theoretically spread to any neighboring country who joined, but I verified that as France my nation is simply too large to join the HRE (I believe this applied to Prussia in my 1.12 game as well, leading to my dismantling of the HRE). Thus, Castile joined thanks to losing territory, primarily to Aragon.

But wait, you say, what about the neighbor requirement? Well, Castile was about as lucky as they possibly could have been this game, except in warfare. When the King of Burgundy died, they inherited the non-French province of Burgundy, including the Low Countries. A decade or so later, they got the Iberian Wedding, and those personal unions with Aragon and, thanks to it not having collapsed earlier, Naples. What may seem like a perfect set-up for a Spain as dominant as it was historically. Even better, Castile had conquered nearly all of Portugal, only Lisbon remaining on the mainland.

However, prior to the Iberian Wedding, Aragon along with a little bit of help from France, conquered about 5 province from Castile, who had recently been fighting Portugal and Morocco and thus was not at full strength. This led to Aragon rebelling a decade or so after the Iberian Wedding, successfully taking more provinces, and causing a string of Castillian bankruptcies that continues to this day. This led to Morocco invading southern Iberia successfully, and even Portugal invading, albeit unsuccessfully. Meanwhile France nibbled on the Low Countries. After a third defeat to Aragon, Castile decided to - and was small enough to - move their capital to Zeeland, just west of Amsterdam.

Castile's tech position is also absolutely pitiful, at 3/5/6 ADM/DIP/MIL, whereas most countries are around 8 in each category. They have literally no ideas, and the bankruptcies have cost them the monarch points that may have enabled them to advance otherwise. After their latest defeat, Aragon took pity on them and guaranteed them.

Thus, I think one of the distinguishing characteristics of this game may be its relatively slow colonization phase. I have not pursued that yet myself; Portugal took a beating early, Castile has no idea what they're doing, and while England has done OK, their expansion thus far is a single province in Ireland. I'm considering taking up Castile from 1500 or 1510 as a future branch of this game, and taking on the challenge of making Castile great again - but from a considerably more challenging position than usual. Then again, it may become yet more challenging for them later on in the game.

As for France, expansion has been steady. I have five vassals, which is too many - Brittany, Desmond, Clanricarde, Luxembourg, and Milan - and am annexing Brittany. Coalitions seem to have been strengthened in this patch, but while I've had one, it did not attack. Long-term allies are Poland (who did not form a personal union with Lithuania) and Scotland. I am also allied with the Papal State (and control the Curia), and my five vassals. Tentatively planning to remain Catholic, but we'll see how the Reformation goes.

20. Arakhor

So, despite Castile's dsiastrous wars, they are still leading PUs with Aragon anjd Naples?