Excuse Me - Shopping Etiquette

YOU ENTITLED MILLENNIAL SNOW FLAKES HAVE GOT TO LEARN SOME MANNERS AND RESPECT MAYBE NEXT TIME INSTEAD OF STANDING THERE RUDELY AND SILENTLY YOU'LL SAY EXCUSE ME JUST THE WAY G-D INTENDED THERE AIN'T NO SAFE SPACES IN THE REAL WORLD G-D BLESS

Manners, Respect and Etiquette are for Commie Liberal Terrorist Commie-Lib'rul-Zombie-Nazis!

Not that I condone the woman's rudeness, but... WTF? Who are you to judge why people use mobility devices to get around? There are many reasons why people use canes, crutches, walkers, scooters, and wheelchairs. And many of these people are men, so how about parking the attitude, 'k? :huh:

I mean... I agree with you here, I'm just wondering why you added the "many of these people are men" bit when his statement appeared to be gender-neutral.

I'll park my cart out of the way somewhere to look for items, but why are they walking thru your field of vision? Did you back away from the shelf to get a better look and now people have to walk thru your field of vision because you didn't leave them room to walk around you? I do that and now I realize I'm the one who put them in the position of walking thru my field of vision.

They don't have to walk through my field of vision, they can always move on to the next aisle and come back when I've cleared out. I do that all the time. Also, part of the reason for standing away from the shelf is so that if someone else needs to grab something, I'm not in their way.

Regardless of who put whom in the position, they're disrupting my browsing when they don't have to. An "excuse me" is appropriate there,

They don't have to walk through my field of vision, they can always move on to the next aisle and come back when I've cleared out. I do that all the time. Also, part of the reason for standing away from the shelf is so that if someone else needs to grab something, I'm not in their way.

Regardless of who put whom in the position, they're disrupting my browsing when they don't have to. An "excuse me" is appropriate there,

I was completely with you right up to "they can move on to another aisle" part. I briefly got the impression that you weren't satisfied with "excuse me" and were just demanding having the aisle to yourself. Had to go back to see what you originally said....which was just a call for them to say excuse me, so you are vindicated. I'm glad I checked.

I have no doubt there are people who think "I am shopping in this aisle, so it is mine."

I dont think its appropriate, now I gotta stop my browsing and acknowledge their 'excuse me'

I dont think its appropriate, now I gotta stop my browsing and acknowledge their 'excuse me'

C'mon man, you aren't Gerald Ford. You can look at the shelf and mumble "no problem" at the same time. I'd bet you could do both those things even if you were also walking and chewing gum! That's how confident I am in your abilities!

My man!

Errr....anyone who thinks that inappropriate feel free to substitute a more gender neutral accolade as you see fit there.

I'll be looking at them, not the shelf

Why? Mumbling doesn't require the accuracy of a laser targeting system.

Challenge...go wander a mall and when you are at all close to someone, even if you aren't in any way about to collide, say "excuse me" in the most polite tone you can manage. When you accumulate a hundred responses, which I estimate will take about 130 attempts with thirty people not responding at all, see what percentage actually bothered with looking at you when they responded. Repeat five times and get the average and variance. I'm willing to bet the variance will be surprisingly small, making the experiment at least a reasonable success, and that the average will be something around 20%, with the vast majority not looking at you at all.

Because if they look at me I want to make eye contact, so I invariably look at them when I hear an excuse me. Otherwise I'm free to continue browsing the shelf as they pass.

Because if they look at me I want to make eye contact, so I invariably look at them when I hear an excuse me. Otherwise I'm free to continue browsing the shelf as they pass.

They probably don't. Their mumbled "excuse me" is far more likely to be accompanied by a head movement specifically (and unconsciously) designed to avoid eye contact just in case you do actually look at them. So not only does not looking at them put you safely into the group we will call "the predicted vast majority," for lack of a more precise term until you conduct the experiment, it is also very likely that they won't know the difference anyway.

Correct etiquette: never be trippin', (dawg.)

This is ridiculous, there is never eye contact in this situation.

They probably don't. Their mumbled "excuse me" is far more likely to be accompanied by a head movement specifically (and unconsciously) designed to avoid eye contact just in case you do actually look at them. So not only does not looking at them put you safely into the group we will call "the predicted vast majority," for lack of a more precise term until you conduct the experiment, it is also very likely that they won't know the difference anyway.

This is ridiculous, there is never eye contact in this situation.

Sometimes when I'm passing someone I'll look at them when I excuse myself and sometimes people passing me with an excuse me will look at me. Thats just my experience, maybe you guys never make eye contact and thats your experience.

Sometimes when I'm passing someone I'll look at them when I excuse myself and sometimes people passing me with an excuse me will look at me. Thats just my experience, maybe you guys never make eye contact and thats your experience.

Actually, I am always trying to make eye contact. That's how I know that most people will be diligently avoiding it, because I see it happening all the time. Sometimes is the operative word in your response. I was just trying to point out that when they say excuse me you don't really have to abandon your shelves and look at them, if you don't want to.

When everyone shops for everything online nobody will have to know how to behave in public

Sometimes I will too. When they are scanning a shelf and I walk in front of them, I don't. They're doing something other than social interaction at the moment. I'm trying to be the least disruptive I can, but there is still a likelihood of disruption. So I mumble an "excuse me," out the side of my mouth and off I go.

How hard is it to browse and speak at the same time? Just a quiet "no problem" or "that's okay" will suffice, and you really don't have to look at them.

Top Bottom