• Vikings

Votes: 181 65.6%
  • Zulus

Votes: 90 32.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
lifeaquatic said:
First of all Vikings were never a "nation" so you are all dumb that voted for that.
We're not voting for nations here. We're voting for civilizations (which in game terms can be a very broad definition)

MattJek said:
Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it, I can't say
(People just liked it better that way)
:band:

New York was founded in 1624 by the Dutch as New Amsterdam, was later seized by the English and renamed to its present name in honor of the duke of York.

http://www.answers.com/new york

The Condor said:
Cool, so you like make up stuff for a dictionary and turn it into a word we might use every single day in the future:confused:?

Umm, yes, obviously that's what I do...

@Sorceresss: the poster to whom I was replying called everyone who had voted for the Vikings "dumb". Why don't you give him grief instead?

I called you a troll because I keep noticing how you seem always to be dropping non-constructive, contentious comments in threads. It's not a personal attack, it's labelling your behaviour. But I'll apologise for calling you ignorant.

As for editing, it is customary to clearly indicate that you have done so. It's all about respecting the other posters in the thread. Never mind though, it's by-gones.

@MattJek: I'll never generalise ever again.

Didn't vote. It doesn't matter what's added, since it's only a little picture attached to a couple of game-based "traits." It has nothing to do with history or reality, so if they want to add Donald Duck, Asterix, or Opus, I shall take each quite as seriously as I do the current "civilizations." :D

MattJek said:
Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it, I can't say
(People just liked it better that way)

so take me back to constantinople
no you cant go back to constantinople
been a long time gone, constantinople
why did constantinople get the works?
thats nobody's buissness but the turks!

RX2000 said:
When he was a child growing up in France, he was always picked on by other children for being a "foreigner." No one in France really embraced him as being French until after they saw what he could do on the battlefield. Then it was "All Hail Mighty Napoleon." Hehe

Napoleon was small and shorter than most as a young man; I'm sure that bullies would have found other ways to make fun of him even if his parents had been French. If it wasn't his accent, it would have surely been something else.

Furthermore, historically many Jews, minorities, and first and second generation Americans whose parents come from non-European countries are labeled "foreigners" by ignorant people and uber-nationalists of all stripes, it does not make them so. Napoleon was born in French territory, was a French citizen since birth, spoke French primarily and considered himself French first and foremost, this makes him French by any reasonable definition.

I've voted for Ottomans cuz I'm from Turkey. ;) Ottomans had a great impact on our world. Vikings, cuz they were very strong that they pillaged UK and Fra.
Carthage: We can always find Romans in this kind of games but why not Carthage? In that period Romans weren't too stronger than Carthage.
Zulu: Just because everyone wants to see nations of different cultures:)

Wow! What a bump. You know that Firaxis already released who was going to be in the expansion pack already.

And those that do rate him as one of the top 5.

Regarding Napoleon: No, he wasn't short, he was average. But the british press made ridicule of him, and the picture of Napoleon we have today is still influenced by that propaganda -- Napoleon being on the losing side. Part of that caricature was of course that he was short. He wasn't. Nothing wrong with being short, but Napoleon wasn't.

Secondly, on Napoleon: Even though he had a short life span as a leader, he had tremendous positive influence on European culture. He did alot in areas of education, art and also commerce. -- He was compared to Hitler earlier in this thread, and that's a really, really unhistoric view; Hitler and the nazist had no positive influence on arts, literature, education, or anything of the kind. Napoleon did, and in that sense he was great, aside of his unbelievable streak of victories while outnumbered again and again and again.

Also, Hitler attacked unprovoced. France was under attack from all sides when Napoleon gained power. He went on the offensive and conquered one nation after the other.

No, I'm not french, I just have the bad habit of reading books. ;)

Oh, yes: I voted for the vikings of course, a culture which established and gained profit from trading routes from Istanbul to London, was great in craftmanship, shipbuilding, warfare, had England under its law, successfully attacked Paris several times for instance, settled down in places like Russia, Normandie and even though unsuccessfully, America. -- And they're fun, too, with their berserkers, beards and horns and everything.

(OK, they didn't have horns on their helmets, but it would've been cool.)

We're voting for civilizations here, not nation-states. I gtg, but this is an interesting topic, even after it's been discussed to death. I'll come back, mayb add a new post or edit this post.

Regarding Napoleon: No, he wasn't short, he was average. But the british press made ridicule of him, and the picture of Napoleon we have today is still influenced by that propaganda -- Napoleon being on the losing side. Part of that caricature was of course that he was short. He wasn't. Nothing wrong with being short, but Napoleon wasn't.

Secondly, on Napoleon: Even though he had a short life span as a leader, he had tremendous positive influence on European culture. He did alot in areas of education, art and also commerce. -- He was compared to Hitler earlier in this thread, and that's a really, really unhistoric view; Hitler and the nazist had no positive influence on arts, literature, education, or anything of the kind. Napoleon did, and in that sense he was great, aside of his unbelievable streak of victories while outnumbered again and again and again.

Also, Hitler attacked unprovoced. France was under attack from all sides when Napoleon gained power. He went on the offensive and conquered one nation after the other.

No, I'm not french, I just have the bad habit of reading books. ;)

When exactly was France outnumbered? France was able to amass armies larger than anything Europe had ever seen raising nearly 1 million man armies, nearly 10x larger than the largest army of Louis XII thanks to nationalism and conscription. No one of the European Kings were able to achieve this at first.

If we're talking about civs here, please add the Flemish/Belgians, since we influenced so many other nations in Europe. Even more, through history we've always been Europe's batlefield, to begin with Julius Caesar, and the last battle fought was that of the bulge ...
And the Dutch only had their Golden Era once our inteligentsia fled the Spanish to find freedom in Holland and their new discovered lands.

you guys do know this thread is over a year old, and pointless now that Warlords came out 6 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom