Experimental Graphical features

Thinking on it, while we need the three different temperatures for the water maps, they don't really need to look different. The main use of the different climates it to control where animals can move and spawn.

I agree, map makers won't though.
I could fix a texture pack for map makers that makes climate zones clearly visible.
We could keep different looks for coast, it doesn't have to be as pronounced as it currently is.

Heyo! I was just curious if you're going to update the mod for the newest SVN releases. I can't find the 9191 version anywhere and whenever I start a map with this installed it crashed.

It will be a while before I can really look into that as I don't have internet where I live at the moment.
If you you get svn tortoise software you can choose exactly which SVN rev. number you want to update/downgrade to. there are instructions on how to set up the svn in the SVN Discussion thread.

Edit:
I can't reproduce the crash... What map script are you using? Did you try starting a new game?

EditEdit: (Dec. 13.)
I was hoping the terrain pack would get some more feedback in this thread, no one have any opinions to voice on this?

Last edited:
Hi Toffer90,

Is this compatible, or should it work ok, with the latest SVN ?

Cheers
ColonelFlag

It's compatible, as far as I know.

Edit: Not anymore, so here's the solution.
Updated the terrain pack for SVN rev. 9551
  • Made new Taiga, Tundra, and permafrost.
Spoiler :
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
At last I can tell the difference just by looking :thumbsup:
I thought we were keeping the ones in the core purely because you were demanding we do... Maybe it was Hydro?

I love the coastlines in all that. I'm always for improvements in art but I will let others decide if they feel it's improvement or not. I almost feel there's too much red in one of those but I'm not sure.

I'm always for improvements in art but I will let others decide if they feel it's improvement or not. I almost feel there's too much red in one of those but I'm not sure.
I could dampen the red in tundra a bit, I'm a bit ambivalent about it myself.
Tundras usually have a lot of red lichen, but there should perhaps me more yellow/orange lichen than it currently is in this modmod.

Last edited:
They all look alright to me.

How long has it been for most of us to go back and look at vanilla BtS terrains. Worlds apart we are now. And imo also for the better, visually that is. But who knows how much strain our better graphics really have on our game engine imposed 3GB ceiling?

They all look alright to me.

How long has it been for most of us to go back and look at vanilla BtS terrains. Worlds apart we are now. And imo also for the better, visually that is. But who knows how much strain our better graphics really have on our game engine imposed 3GB ceiling?
Very little. Relatively speaking the terrain diversity is a greater issue than improving the art since we really are just doing a better job with the limitations we have rather than pushing those limitations further, as far as tile arts go.

My terrain textures are smaller in size than vanilla is. There's 3 textures per terrain.
Vanilla: 171+683+683 = 1537 KB per terrain type.
My terrains: 171+171+683 = 1025 KB per terrain type.

Peaks and hills are a bit different.
Vanilla = 1366+1366+171 = 2903 KB
My hill/peak= 683+86+86 = 855 KB

My terrain textures are smaller in size than vanilla is. There's 3 textures per terrain.
Vanilla: 171+683+683 = 1537 KB per terrain type.
My terrains: 171+171+683 = 1025 KB per terrain type.

Peaks and hills are a bit different.
Vanilla = 1366+1366+171 = 2903 KB
My hill/peak= 683+86+86 = 855 KB
Good to know. Thanks.

Top Bottom