• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Explosion In London

Status
Not open for further replies.
No wait - the underground closing down AND buses blowing up - all while the G8 is in session and the day after the Olympic news? We have been caught with our pants down just like New York were! This is terrible if it's all true.

Rik Meleet said:
Let's hope the British government will not make the same mistake as the Spanish government after the Madrid bombings: blame a group before they know what has happened.
Absolutely.

Mise said:
But I'm still hopetomistic that it's "just" a random tragedy.
Six buses explosions for a random tragedy ?

That's stretching coincidence far beyond the limit of reasonable.

They are now calling it a terrorist attack.

Any reports yet on the number of casualties? Nothing on CNN yet.

i just heard about it on the news. damn terrorists, who do you think it is? al quida? ira? anti-globalisation? my moneys on Al Quida. I hope everyones ok. The G8 and the olympics just declared.

Well my first gut reaction was that it was Olympics related, but of course, more likely its about the G8.

Bozo Erectus said:
Any reports yet on the number of casualties? Nothing on CNN yet.

Sky is reporting new explosions. Nothing on local channels, just the "AM Sunrise" BS.

EDIT: Yes, I've been doing some calling.

Man they have hit everywhere now, America got 9/11, australia got bali spain got there train tracks and now london got this, are we really wining the war on terror??

Nobody said:
Man they have hit everywhere now, America got 9/11, australia got bali spain got there train tracks and now london got this, are we really wining the war on terror??
Not everywhere,
there are still numerous places to be hit.
Who "we" you mean?
How do you define "winning" in war against terror?

Very unfortunate events of course have occurred, my condolences to everyone involved.

Not that this is something I couldn't expect happening sooner or later.

Bozo Erectus said:
Well my first gut reaction was that it was Olympics related, but of course, more likely its about the G8.
Or perhaps a combination of Olympics, G8 and War on Terror.
It's a good timing if you wish to be talked about.

By "we" i meant the nations involved in operation enduring freedom. i dont mean everyone or every targets been hit. But the terrorists have been able to attack some of the main members. I mean they are hitting back, bring the fight to the Allied nations (nato and americas other allies). anyway lets not talk about this and just care about it for now. My uncle got back from there eysterday

The BBC is inaccessible (probably the high network traffic).

This is what I see from the Times:

Blasts raise terror fears
# Co-ordinated blasts around London: dozens of casualties
# Blasts at or around these stations: Aldgate, Edgware Road, Kings Cross, Old Street, Russell Square in Central London
# Explosions on three buses: Tavistock Square and two unconfirmed locations
# Travel chaos as Underground closed

London explosions: timeline
By Holden Frith, Times Online
0849 BST: First explosion occurs on the Metropolitan Line between Liverpool Street and Aldgate

0922: King's Cross and Edgware Road stations evacuated

0928: Metronet, a Tube maintenance company, reports that the explosions have been caused by a power surge

0933: Explosion reported at Edgware Road

0951: Scotland Yard declare a "major incident" on the London Underground

1035: Metropolitan Police confirm that there has been an explosion on a bus in Tavistock Square, Central London

A series of bomb blasts that appeared to be a co-ordinated terrorist attack hit London's transport network today forcing police to close mainline stations and the entire underground system and causing dozens of injuries.

There were no confirmed reports of fatalities from three blasts on the Tube and a series of bomb attacks on London buses, but shaken commuters reported seeing bodies on a tube train at Aldgate and City of London police said it had unconfirmed reports of two deaths.

Transport union sources said three London buses had been hit by bomb blasts - including a double decker at Tavistock Square.

The blasts coincide with the first full day of the G8 summit in Gleneagles and come just one day after London won the right to host the 2012 Olymic Games. The number of near-simultaneous explosions bore the hallmarks of an al-Qaeda attack similar to the one that hit the Madrid railway network in March 2003.

A number of people were injured in an explosion at Aldgate station in the City at around 8.49am and the "walking wounded" were being taken to a nearby bus station for immediate treatment. Another explosion was reported at Edgware Road and another in the King's Cross area.

Geoff Hoon, leader of the House of Commons, told MPs that Cabinet ministers were meeting to discuss the situation and the Government would make a statement later.

Among mainline stations, Liverpool Street and King's Cross were closed and evacuated and services to others were interrupted.

British Transport Police (BTP) said that work was being carried out to establish the precise cause of the problem. "It’s chaos, with people trying to work out what has happened," a spokesman said. "All we know at the moment is that staff reported a loud bang at 8.49am.

"No one is sure what caused an explosion, but it is thought it could have been a collision, a power cut, or a power cable problem."

A London Fire Brigade spokeswoman said: "We have been called to two explosions, one at Aldgate and one at Edgware Road. We have no other information at the moment. Reports are still coming in."

Transport union officials said their sources had told them there had been at least one explosive device on the Underground. One explosion happened at Edgware Road and there were suggestions of two other explosions at King’s Cross and Aldgate.

Union sources said they had been given the information by at least one senior Underground manager.

"It is too too early to state what has happened," a Metropolitan Police spokesman said."I cannot comment on reports of bombs, but we have had multi-reports of explosions around London."

Metronet, the company which maintains the infrastructure on the Metropolitan Line, said the explosion was caused by a power surge - althought the National Grid later denied that there had been any special surges. A Metronet spokesman said: "It looks as if we have a major incident. The whole system is being shut down."

Survivors of the Tube blasts described scenes of total chaos. Simon Corvett, 26, from Oxford, was on the eastbound train leaving Edgware Road Tube station when the explosion happened.

He said: "All of sudden there was this massive huge bang. It was absolutely deafening and all the windows shattered. The glass did not actually fall out of the windows, it just cracked. The train came to a grinding halt, everyone fell off their seats."

Mr Corvett, who works in public relations, said that the commuter train was absolutely packed. "There were just loads of people screaming and the carriages filled with smoke," he said. "You couldn’t really breathe and you couldn’t see what was happening. The driver came on the Tannoy and said ‘We have got a problem, don’t panic’."

Sarah Reid, 23, a student doing work experience, was on the carriage next door to the one which was struck by the explosion at Aldgate. Speaking after the ordeal, having been led out down the track, near Liverpool Street station, she told how she saw a carriage ripped apart with the roof blown off.

"I think some people may have died," she said. "I was on the train and there was a fire outside the carriage window and then there was a sudden jolt which shook us forward. The explosion was behind me. Some people took charge. We went out of the back of the carriage.

Ms Reid said the explosion happened at 8.50am but she was not able to get off the carriage until 9.30am. Describing being led away from the scene, she said: "A carriage was split in two, all jagged, and without a roof, just open. I saw bodies, I think."

Sky News footage from Aldgate, in the heart of the City, showed commuters walking from the station covered in blood and soot and people being stretchered from the scene. At least a dozen fire engines were on the scene as nearby roads were closed off and offices evacuated.

Also closed were Liverpool Street mainline station in the City itself and the Kings Cross mainline station to the north. A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesman said that two trains remain stuck in tunnels at Edgware Road, but it is not known if they have collided or if passengers remain on board.

"It’s difficult to know exactly what is going on at the moment," he said. "The initial report came from Liverpool Street, but there are incidents occurring across the network."

He said that officers have been sent into the network to assist with rescue operations."Officers are working at tunnel and platform level to help get people out and to help find out what has happened," he said.

One commuter whose train was diverted because of the chaos said travellers were told there had been a crash involving Tube trains near King’s Cross station.

"The area is solid with people and I have seen many commuters with blackened faces just walking around looking stunned," said Gerard Bithell. His train was diverted from Moorgate to King’s Cross because the station was closed. "We were told there had been a power failure at Moorgate and some kind of accident at King’s Cross," he said.

Nobody said:
By "we" i meant the nations involved in operation enduring freedom.
I see now.
Nobody said:
I mean they are hitting back, bring the fight to the Allied nations (nato and americas other allies). anyway lets not talk about this and just care about it for now.
That is how war goes.
Sure we don't need to talk about really.
Let's continue to view what is happening.

Akka said:
Or perhaps a combination of Olympics, G8 and War on Terror.
It's a good timing if you wish to be talked about.
Yeah, the whole worlds media is focused on the UK this week. Seems like they held off on the attack till the day after the Olympics announcement. If they had everything already in place for the attack, they must have been happy London won, the bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom