Expressing Your Opinion and Getting Digitally Lynched

I didn't deny any of that.
You should read some history. Women didn't have those rights until recently.
The same for other minorities.
I have agreed that things need to improve on all those fronts. We just have a different opinion on how to do that.
Our end goals are too similar. Save you angst for those that don't have the same goal.

I didn't deny any of that.
You should read some history. Women didn't have those rights until recently.
The same for other minorities.
I have agreed that things need to improve on all those fronts. We just have a different opinion on how to do that.
Our end goals are too similar. Save you angst for those that don't have the same goal.

You lack the will and desire to confront those that continue to drag society back to it's more regressive roots, that much is evident in your willingness to still vote for the GOP, even in minor races nor is it a difference of "opinion" it's a difference of material action.

I don't care WHY you'd ever vote for the GOP in any context, I care that you DO it and you cannot do that without harming minorities and women fullstop and even when it's pointed out to you, you chafe, you complain, you feel it's unfair and you pushback because you still believe that the actions you take can be divorced from the overall conversation. You talk the talk but your actions are not consistant with what you preach and that's fine, but don't expect me to not excoriate you for being willing to throw others under the bus when it's conveniant.

Moderator Action: After a suitable cooling off period, the thread has been reopened. Play nice.

You guys keep pulling this bait and switch. There are cases, like this one, where you have a real life insane fascist, claiming that at @bernie14 isn't an American because he was born in Spain (?). And if you look at the thread, I immediately was like "**** this guy. I don't care if I get infracted, I'm trolling this *****." But so much of the time, it's not that guy. Just like Hygro said, we have (and could have more) insightful people on the right, libertarians, centrists, and so on. And I would love to hear more from them. And if they're wrong, I'm more capable of figuring that out for myself. But people make it a pain in the ass for them to be here by not being respectful, by throwing around the word fascist at the drop of a hat, by dunking on them, by insulting them, and so on. So they go elsewhere and the insights and intellectualism that accompany a space that loves debate and discourse die little by little. And when people get called out for it, we get this classic switch and suddenly it's "oh no, no, we're just talking about RomanKing or JMA2286. You don't really want those people back, do you?"

Earlier today I was listening to a podcast with libertarian Tyler Cowen and communist public intellectual Zizek. It was a funny, insightful conversation. But at multiple points, I thought back to CFC and thought "lol, this conversation would never happen on CFC." Why? Cowen wouldn't deal with this place because we call blithely libertarians fascists. And Zizek would get trolled out of here for not being woke enough. That's the environment we're creating. A place that great public intellectuals would loathe.
Cuba :)

Moderator Action: The thread has been reopened after some moderator housework.

If you can't grasp that entertaining such debates makes other people uncomfortable, pushes people whose voices usually aren't heard away in favor of the generic rent-a-gob opinion then fine, have your little bland, straight white cismale opinions that dominate every other forum, have your little centrist debate whether you "rationally" and "logically" discuss the basic rights of human beings that are still openly being discriminated against

You need to let go of your hatred. White cis males get to speak too and deserve respect like everyone else. I always have a problem with people making blanket statements about any group of people. It shows a complete lack of understanding and it's discriminatory. You seem to like to frame everything as an us vs them situation. Well, it's not. At least I hope so because there's a whole lot more of them than there is of us for starters. Secondly, "if you stare into the abyss, it stares back at you."

I'm not having that argument.

You need to let go of your hatred. White cis males get to speak too and deserve respect like everyone else. I always have a problem with people making blanket statements about any group of people. It shows a complete lack of understanding and it's discriminatory. You seem to like to frame everything as an us vs them situation. Well, it's not. At least I hope so because there's a whole lot more of them than there is of us for starters. Secondly, "if you stare into the abyss, it stares back at you."

The reality is that minorities ARE and historically have been oppressed by a cis white male hegemony.

Society already respects them; their opinions are considered valid and even sought after, regardless of whether their views are appropriate or not.

I'll stop holding a grudge against that group when a sizeable number of them stop doing their damnest to make my life harder then it already is; be it through personal interaction or through political means.

a cis white male hegemony.

Society already respects them; their opinions are considered valid and even sought after, regardless of whether their views are appropriate or not.

If viewed as a block, yes. But in practice there is only a tiny minority of "cis white male" people who can be said to have any kind of privilege.

I propose we digitally lynch the LIAR @Takhisis for broken promises. Where is your picture boo?

If viewed as a block, yes. But in practice there is only a tiny minority of "cis white male" people who can be said to have any kind of privilege.
I can't speak for Europe but in the US being a cis white male has a ton of inherent privilege. You can see it in everyday life if you look for it.

I propose we digitally lynch the LIAR @Takhisis for broken promises. Where is your picture boo?
I haven't lied, I just didn't state when and I only found one of the danged files yesterday. But since I found a story or two which I want to publish in the mix, I'd rather upload everything in one go. btw I'm not subscribing to this thread, there's too much reading to do and I'd rather play videogames.

I can't speak for Europe but in the US being a cis white male has a ton of inherent privilege. You can see it in everyday life if you look for it.

That is certain given that in most euro countries "cis white male" are almost 50% of the population ^_^

Then again, in CFC civ white male should be at least 85%.

I realise that the UK is perhaps more ethnically mixed than many other European nations, but are you really saying that there are so few non-Caucasians in most of Europe that "cis white male" is almost indistinguishable from all males of that country?

Top Bottom