Faerun

Yes, I was happy to see that. Unfortunately, the mod seems to cause a CTD between turns 10-14 (tried 3 different civs, same result). Other mods in use: Unlimited Barb XP, Steve's Simple Clock, Low Res Terrain (which I don't quite see how they can interfere, but if so please let it be known).

Hello, if I may I would like to signal a CTD bug: It would appear that the game crash each time a city-state finish to build a scout tower for some reasons. It doesn't seem to be caused by the free explorer but that's just my guess based on some testing.
I didn't use any other mods, apart from the in-game editor mod to try to track the bug (well, maybe?).
---

Well, in fact it seems to be caused by the lancer/explorer but I don't know why. In FS_Buildings.sql, line 355, changing the UnitType from UNIT_LANCER to another one solves the CTD bug.

changing the UnitType from UNIT_LANCER to another one solves the CTD bug.

It's an odd bug and one that never cropped up for me in hundreds of turns of testing. Somehow CS can train lancers and receive them as gifts, but they cause crash when delivered via building. CS can also receive most other unit types via building, including uniques, but not lancers. I thought this might be related to users having BNW installed but not GnK. Nope. I guess it's another oddity that requires investigation.

v.2 available via link in top post. In addition to resolving above crash on CS Scout Tower build, this version offers up new scenario maps.

I must offer a huge thank-you to Vyndil, who painstakingly recreated the original maps, tile by tile, for the BNW version. This was undertaken in the hopes of overcoming the "invalid map" issue reported several times in this thread.

There are some slight changes to the maps, including city placement and roads, but none all that surprising.

I'm fairly certain that v.2 will be compatible with v.1 saved games, but I make no promises.

Tested the CTD from the scout tower, it only seemed to happen some of the time. It doesn't seem map or scenario related, but possibly civilization related. Got CTD with Bruneor on both faerun and faerun+underark scenarios, and with Tethyr on Faerun+Underark. Other Civs that I tried didn't CTD(Cormyr, Obould, The Simbul).

Pouap fix stopped the CTD.

Some minor bugs I've found or at least not working as intended bugs:

Doesn't ask you to select research unless you are founding your first city(standard map), on turn 1.

When selecting Bruneor on standard faerun scenario then switching to huge map, Bruneor stays selected, but upon starting game switches to Obould Civ.

EDIT: Both of these might actually be Civ 5 bugs and not related to the mod.(Game not realizeing that you are not actually researching and that the selected civ is no longer available.)

I'll check out v2 now and report back if I run into anything.

Got to turn 88 with Cormyr on Faerun scenario, keep getting a CTD while processing barbarians, no idea what's causing it. Post back tomorrow if I figured it out.

EDIT :
Problem unrelated to barbarians, CTD caused by Candlekeep(Great Library) finishing, possibly from free tech or free library. I don't know any potential fixes, except for removing it.

Hello, I think I managed to track the Candlekeep bug. It seems to me that the Great Library crashes the game if you try to remove the great work of arts slots.

In FS_buildings.sql, line 96, commenting the line
UPDATE Buildings SET PolicyBranchType = NULL, GreatWorkSlotType = NULL, FreeGreatWork = NULL, GreatWorkCount = 0; " fixes the crash, but there is probably a reason why these slots were removed from the mod, so it may causes other bugs. But since you can't produce works of arts it should be OK, I think.

Release v.3; link available in top post.

Hello, I think I managed to track the Candlekeep bug. It seems to me that the Great Library crashes the game if you try to remove the great work of arts slots.
Thank you both for troubleshooting this. In this case a simple clone of the building solved the problem. My guess is that Wonders with GW slots trigger a dll routine that is used in updating CultureOverview.lua. (I wish Firaxis would expose this to lua as a GameEvent for OnBuildingComplete.) Also I ran a DB integrity check and caught one other CTD item. Hopefully that will be the last of them.

Does Faerun Soundtrack work with Faerun for BNW?
Yes and thank you for reminding me to update the text and screens re.

Running v.3, I got to ~turn 57 as Sembia before having a CTD.
It's still frustrating not to know which techs to research as you don't know whether you have any of the appropriate resource without getting the tech first, and some strategic resources still seem quite rare (or all concentrated out in Anauroch).

I haven't really figured out how cult centers and religion work yet. What does faith give you if you can't found religions? How are the AIs all choosing alignments a few turns in?

v.4 Changes
  • Bugfix for city religious conversion
  • Bugfix for several hero quests
  • Burial grounds now spawn and function as described
  • Notification added for unit saved from death
  • Compatible with v.3 saved games

Running v.3, I got to ~turn 57 as Sembia before having a CTD.
It's still frustrating not to know which techs to research as you don't know whether you have any of the appropriate resource without getting the tech first, and some strategic resources still seem quite rare (or all concentrated out in Anauroch).

I haven't really figured out how cult centers and religion work yet. What does faith give you if you can't found religions? How are the AIs all choosing alignments a few turns in?

Hi Ahriman. v.4 most likely solves the CTD you experienced, which has to do with city religious conversion.

I'm not sure how to answer the first criticism. Tier 2 resource reveal techs are fairly cheap now. My thinking is that expanding early without knowing the resources on the board is balanced against expanding later when the board is mostly revealed. If you play the scenario maps, you'll know which resources are where after the first play through!

Once you've adopted an alignment, some faith is converted to culture each turn, so maximizing faith per turn can help fuel more policy choices. Faith can be used to purchase Good-aligned city state allies. If you have a religious majority in a city, faith can be used to purchase buildings and units there. Faith is required to train clerics of any type.

Humans have to actually march their hero to a Cult Center in order to adopt an alignment. The AI gets to choose an alignment as soon as they get their first hero and can see a Cult Center. On the scenario maps, the AI doesn’t have to see a Cult Center to adopt an alignment (this is to offset the distribution of city-states on the board), so they are able to adopt an alignment pretty early. This confers only a small advantage and makes the AI more competitive in the first 100 turns.

If you play the scenario maps, you'll know which resources are where after the first play through!
Aren't some resources randomly allocated each time? I thought I'd seen various luxuries placed in spots in one game that weren't there in the next.
The larger problem is with the AI's (in)ability to choose techs intelligently based on their nearby resources.

Each tier2 tech is relatively cheap, but collectively they are very expensive, and its frustrating to research dud techs that do nothing for you.
I think the main solution is to have each resource be revealed 1 tech earlier than the tech which actually enables it or its improvement.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep trying when I have some time.

Hi FramedArchitect, do you plan to integrate the great works in your mod in the future?

Academies cannot be built with great people because it requires the "Holder" technology. I assume this is a placeholder that was never actually put back in. After researching almost the entire tech tree, I had 4 great people ready to plant, but never got the option to actually do so, as it was greyed out.

Hi, I downloaded this MOD today but I cannot make it work, when I try to start a new game it only shows 1 civilization to choose named TXT_KEY_LEADER...... If I let the game to select one randomly I can start the game, but all the names are replaced by different TXT_KEYs.
It's probably an installation issue, but I reinstalled the game and the mode twice and still can't make it work. I have installed the last BNW version.
PS: sorry if my english is not very good.

Hello FedeArtico, welcome to the CFC forums.

Is it a language issue? Most mods only work when Civ5 is set to run in English.

Hello FedeArtico, welcome to the CFC forums.

Is it a language issue? Most mods only work when Civ5 is set to run in English.

thank you. I have an English version of the game so I don't think it is a language issue, unless the OS language can cause troubles to the MOD, but I'm not sure if this is possible.

Hi FA,
first off... the ONLY reason I'm playing Civ 5 anymore is because of your mod and the ONLY reason I signed up to Civ Fanatics is so I can post on your thread.

I nearly had a heart attack when the Faerun mod disappeared from Steam, and have been following your thread here ever since. PLEASE keep up the great work because if you stop updating this MOD, I may lose the will to live. Now that we've established I'm a huge FA fanboy nerd, I've got a few questions/comments/bugs to report... Note: This is for BNK v1.3 (and some also relate to GNK 1.16). I haven't tried 1.4 yet... also, I played as Mycontil on Deity level on the Huge Faerun map.

In my last game, I noticed the following...
1. Whenever I first met a new City State that wasn't a Religious Center, it would still display as if it were a Religious Center (it would display as the last Religious Center that I had met). Not a big deal though as once past the initial meeting, it displayed properly.
2. When I started getting attacked by an assassin, I quickly chose Truesight as my next upgrade... and Tongues, Foresight and Speak with Animals suddenly became checked as well, even though I didn't even have the Speak with Plants upgrade yet.
3. Truesight doesn't seem to work for me. I don't believe it ever has (for GNK or BNW)... my mages can't see the assassin, so I can never kill him. Is this an issue only for me, or are others experiencing this too? When I check my mages, they all get the upgrade, but they just can't see or target the assassin. I even tried running my mages to where I thought the Assassin was... they still couldn't see him, and usually ended up dead the next turn.
4. On turn 167, Drasna won a Spellplague victory... is there any way to stop it? I was given 5 turns to stop it somehow, which wasn't nearly enough, as most civs barely had 3 cities by then (Drasna's cities were so far away I couldn't have attacked them in time). Seems to be WAY too quick for a Spellplague victory. Perhaps it was because I was playing Deity level, but still, no player had even 350 victory points by this point, and I never had this issue with the GNK versions.

That's all for now. Other than the quick ending, I'm loving the BNW version so really looking forward to future versions!

Thanks!

Added you mate I'm interested in contributing and I can code, this is a great mod that with a few years of work from a team could be on par with FFH on everything except the custom lore aspect. Besides, Forgotten Realms has plenty of cool stuff mechanically for a 4X anyway, I love your use of Spellplague as a victory condition.

Hi FramedArchitect, do you plan to integrate the great works in your mod in the future?
No, because it seems very foreign to this fantasy world. I had hoped the system could be used in conjunction with hero items, but I think that would actually require a completely new approach and ui.

Academies cannot be built with great people because it requires the "Holder" technology.
Thank you for the report.

...when I try to start a new game it only shows 1 civilization to choose named TXT_KEY_LEADER...
This sounds like a conflict with another mod. Unload all other mods before using this one. You can change the language settings in Steam:
Library -> right-click Sid Meier's Civilization 5 -> Properties -> Language Tab

EDIT
I have played BNW version under french, german and spanish languages without issue.

Top Bottom