Fall Flat Release

I introduced my friend to Fall Flat last Friday and when your character popped up he yelled 'Zelda Music. Sweet!'

Okay, well the missing 'pedia info drives me a little insane too. I particularly dislike the fact that very few of the world spells have any flavor text. I decided I'd try to help out by writing a little bit to cover the Calabim world spell. I'm not sure if this fits thematically with the lore, but I haven't seen anything regarding its mechanics as of yet. Anyway, if you like it and you'd like me to write some for the rest of the world spells I'd be happy too.

Spoiler Calabim World Spell Text :
Missing ‘Pedia Info
Very few mortals ever glimpsed the perverse extravagances of the Royal Calabim Gardens. Fountains artfully spilled gallons of virgin’s blood upon black marble angels, their burning wings flecked with gold and outlined in ruby. Upon the stone were carved countless runes that protected and purified the blood. Only the most favored nobles were given permission to drink the enchanted blood, warm and fresh as it had been the day it was spilled.
Flauros walked beside his sister through the perverted foliage of the gardens, past blood drinking vines with poisonous thorns and black roses that emitted an acrid odor upon being touched by any mortal. His face was set in consternation, his lips thin slits of white in his otherwise undisturbed supernatural beauty.
“Sister, I tell you now, this is the best time. I hear even the boy-king’s settlements are nearly overflowing with mortals, and need I mention the bustling cities of the elves? The thought sets my mouth watering, as it must your own. You may see my tastes as unrefined next to yours, but must I point out the obvious political implications this could have?” Flauros seemed nearly to be pleading, rare as it was for him. Oh, but he could be so touchy about dinner, especially when that dinner could be the most extravagant feast of his long lived life.
Alexis released a theatrical sigh and Flauros grinned, recognizing triumph. “You’re sure of this, brother? This is not some foolish ploy?”
Flauros shook his head. “You know it could not be. The child is Ceridwan’s chosen, there is no doubting that. I have seen the agony in his eyes, and seen her marks upon his body. The prophecy is fulfilled.”
“Very well, then let it be. We must send word to the outlying Broods to prepare immediately.” Alexis turned to Flauros. “Let us go then brother, and let the world glimpse our power.” As one, they turned and walked from the gardens.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Jared leaned back, balancing on the back legs of his protesting chair as he sleepily counted stars. Every damned night he counted the stars, always without success, before drowsing at his post. He would undoubtedly get an earful from the guard captain again, but it mattered very little ultimately. That damned noble has made sure he would spend the rest of his happy career guarding nothing more than a few ranchers’ cows from the occasional wolf. It was not his fault whom he loved, but the Kuriotates had a very clear caste system, and noblemen’s daughters did not live happily ever after with a guardsmen. He sighed deeply, a sound full of self pity, as he felt the first waves of sleep lap upon him.
“Sanguis vitam est…” He jerked out of his chair as it went clamoring behind him, his sword half out of its sheath before he saw no one was there. What in the name of the Gods? He was sure he had just heard someone whisper something in his ear. He let his sword drop back into his sheath and he began to make his way towards the toppled chair, a feeling of chagrin overcoming him. What childish fears.
“Sanguis vitam est…” The words echoed in his mind again, and before he could stop himself he spoke. “The blood is the life.”
He paused mid stride. Somewhere in the deepest recesses of his consciousness a mental alarm began to sound. He paid no heed. What was the unearthly melody? It was so beautiful. He turned, looking northeasterly with a longing expression and began to walk away.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Flauros came to Alexis’s side. “He died in the throes of the ritual, as we expected.” There was a very faint ring of disappointment in his voice. “The runes that were burnt into his flesh faded from my mind the moment I looked away. Exactly as the prophecy said they would.”
“Of course,” Alexis replied, keeping her eyes on the thousands of teeming people at the city gates, “we know only what we must of the prophecy of the River of Blood.”
Alexis turned toward a startled gatekeeper, the mortal clearly confused by recent events and uncomfortable under his queen’s gaze. “What are you waiting for fool? Prepare these people for the breeding pits.”

Wow very well written. Seems like you had fun with it too.

Thank you! :)

It wasn't completely what I intended and I thought of rewriting it, especially after reading more of the better written lore and stories, but I decided that the most important thing right now was making sure the blank 'pedia entries are filled so if Iceciro approves I'll just starting writing more. :D

Playing a full game through on Monarch with the Kahdi. I played them primarily in FF so I'll be able to compare well I think. Will post results soon.

I would mention beforehand that I feel from reading the patch notes that the Amurites are the undisputed kings of the mage-civ niche now. I don't think the Kahdi can stand up to them at all, and since they don't really have different goals in game (aquire as much mana as possible, builds tons of mage units) the Kahdi could become obsolete.

Hopefully the tweaks to the elemental generating procedure will balance it a bit.

Playing a full game through on Monarch with the Kahdi. I played them primarily in FF so I'll be able to compare well I think. Will post results soon.

I would mention beforehand that I feel from reading the patch notes that the Amurites are the undisputed kings of the mage-civ niche now. I don't think the Kahdi can stand up to them at all, and since they don't really have different goals in game (aquire as much mana as possible, builds tons of mage units) the Kahdi could become obsolete.

Hopefully the tweaks to the elemental generating procedure will balance it a bit.

I was thinking about this as well. What about maybe having a very small chance (2% every 20th turn or something on normal) of spawning a new mana node somewhere in the world? Or maybe only if both of these civs are in? The latter choice seems kinda rigged, but I think it would help force the Amurites and Khadi to scout and think carefully when placing their cities. I was also thinking, even though its late game what if when you go "good" with Khad about having what amount to a free rites of Oghma ritual? Might be OP with the 300% gate spawns but that could be balanced.

Hey guys! I know I've been totally "not on the scene" as of late. Sorry, partly due to business, and a child who dislocated his knee (I hate emergency rooms, by the way.)

But that's enough of that *waves hand*

The Amurites are the undisputed mage-kings now, I'll agree to that. However, that was the goal, so I'm glad it's been met. The Elementals are meant to take the Khadi into a different direction. Remember, the Khadi get free frontline troops, though - and they get exponentially stronger instead of having a larger chance of having a unit spawn with a random spell (that may not be useful.) There are a few culprit spells that are really nice in t1-t2 (Summon Skeleton, Fireball, Summon Wraith) and some that are ehhhh (Poisoned blade, water walking) and most that are middleground and make your toops neat.

Remember that while the Amurite Wizards are a cut above the rest, the Khadi mages require a lot less to get upgraded. You can almost use Khadi mages/archmages expendably, something you're less likely to do with Wizards and Battlemages.

About halfway through my game, but one thing that stuck out to me so far that really should be looked at is the mana types given to the Kahdi - Air, Mind, and Meta.

It makes sense to give them Meta, considering they are basically just defected Amurites, and (correct me if i'm wrong) Amurites are the only other race to get Meta.

Mind is fine because of the emphasis on research, amd it probably makes more sense than Body for Amurites, so no trouble here.

Air is the real problem though, it seems quite out of place. For obvious reasons the third type of mana needs to be elemental, but it ought to be Water and not Air. Let's think about the Kahdi flavor-wise. Kahd decided the Amurite society was holding his ambitions back, so he packed some mana and his loyal band of followers and set off into the desert. But why take Air mana? You'd think Kahd would know that his new desert home would need a bit of terraforming, and the R1 Water spell does that nicely. It also fits with the Kahdi flavor of ambition and shaping the world into how you see fit.

Considering all the flavor-wise upgrades given to the Malakim so they could survive in the desert, I would think switching Air to Water could be given to the Kahdi without making them overpowered in the least. If you like to play the game with flavor starts on, and I sure do, the Kahdi are usually placed in very hostile desert conditions, and they really don't have anything that helps them cope with it at all. I've spent most of my game just scraping by - it's a good thing I had some coastal tiles or it would be over.

I understand that the Malakim are natural desert dwellers and this makes their adaptability far greater in that situation than the Kahdi, but Kahd is a smart guy, and I don't think he'd uproot an entire civilization of followers and take them into the desert without water.

Was tempted a couple days ago to try a new civ, but couldn't decide what I wanted to play. After reading the last couple posts, I think I'll start a new Khadi game today. Never played them before and they sound intriguing.

Might have a bug here...

Started my Kahdi marathon game...

I have Cardith Lorda to my north, and Tebryn of the Sheaim to my east, the other 2 borders are coast as I'm down in a corner.

Cardith is following Order, we have open borders, and he's made himself busy spamming my cities with Acolytes and I have a good chunk of my cities with Order present.

I don't have open borders with Tebryn at all, he founded AV amd shortly after that, AV spread to one of my cities. This was before he even adopted it (not sure why, he waited a good 50 or 60 turns in a marathon game before adopting).

I just had one of my cities go to Octopus...and the OO civ is the Balseraphs on the other side of Tebryn. I don't have open borders with them either...

So somehow the 'evil' religions are getting into my civ, but I thought the Intolerant trait was supposed to stop passive religious spread.

Any thoughts on why I'm getting passive spread?

Dont' know why, but I can confirm that the Intolerant trait isn't working as intended. Religions spread passively to my cities all the time too.

Iceciro, any chance you'll consider incorporating the conquerable mana node mod that Valk is working on? I'd really like to play a future game with that and upgraded amurites, talk about fun with magic. :evil:

Noticed a rather large bug, or so it seems to me after some testing.

Random events simply do not occur in Fall Flat. Tested six games so far and not a single random event even with the doubled random event option.

Am I crazy or were they removed for some reason? Didn't notice it in the change log...

Actually I have noticed that too. Even with the more events option they just dont seem to happen.

Edit: well I havent even seen the constellation ones lately. If you have then I guess I broke my install -_-

Top Bottom