Fallen Enchantress

Can we buy it and play it without involving Steam whatsoever? Not even for a mere registration? I don't like the concept of having to open an account to play a game.

Hmm. I wasn't expecting this, but it looks like a worthy successor to Fall from Heaven, which I played far, far more than vanilla cIV. Vanilla got kind of boring for me after a while, so I looked for mods. I found FfH (this is back before I had BtS), and that was all it took :). That, and RFC, were my major timesinks. If I may ask, Kael; what prompted you to design this as a stand-alone game, and not create an FfH spiritual sequel as a Civ V mod? Just curious.

Hmm. I wasn't expecting this, but it looks like a worthy successor to Fall from Heaven, which I played far, far more than vanilla cIV. Vanilla got kind of boring for me after a while, so I looked for mods. I found FfH (this is back before I had BtS), and that was all it took :). That, and RFC, were my major timesinks. If I may ask, Kael; what prompted you to design this as a stand-alone game, and not create an FfH spiritual sequel as a Civ V mod? Just curious.

lol i bet getting a JOB had a lot to do with it versus it being a hobby.

Kael, your involvement gives me hope that this game will be good. However, after Elemental¹ I'm taking a wait and see approach to this game.

I'm glad it's on Steam though, since I can't bring myself to sign up for Impulse Gamestop's digital store.

_
¹ - Never bought it, but gadzooks! The issues it had...

Can we buy it and play it without involving Steam whatsoever? Not even for a mere registration? I don't like the concept of having to open an account to play a game.
I think - and hope - that Steam is used only a distribution platform, and not included in the working of the game.
Stardock has always been very mindful of the consumer's rights, and forcing the Steam spyware and DRM down our throat would be a rather bad move - I know I would really hate it at least.

Is it true that if you purchased Elemental before 12/31/2011 that you get a special deal on FE? I recall hearing about that when I took the leap on WoM back then, but it was quite a while ago now, so perhaps I'm mixing things up.

The game looks pretty good from the bits I've seen/read.

GalCiv II is a fantastic strategy game

What?

No, sorry. *Bzzzzzt*

FE Is definitely a big improvement over vanilla Elemental, but it still has a ways to go IMHO. I keep trying the new Betas as they come out, so let's hope for the best.

Is it true that if you purchased Elemental before 12/31/2011 that you get a special deal on FE? I recall hearing about that when I took the leap on WoM back then, but it was quite a while ago now, so perhaps I'm mixing things up.
If you bought it before a certain date (can't remember which one), you get FE for free.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's good to promote the participation of Shafer on a board where most people have experienced the wreck that was the last thing he had a hand in :p

(though from what I remember, he isn't doing design at Stardock, but rather organisationnal tasks)
Much of my work with Fallen Enchantress has been providing Derek design suggestions on how to make the choices more interesting, what's working, what isn't, etc. If you're curious what sorts of things I'm recommending, I recently started a website where I put up articles sharing my thoughts on various topics relating to game design (as well as other things like project management).

Also - while I've been spending much of the last year helping out on FE, my primary role at Stardock is serving as producer & lead designer for a different (unannounced) game. I obviously can't talk about it yet, but for those who might be wondering I can say that it will be more complex than Civ 5.

- Jon

If Shafer is ruining, oops, I mean working on this game, you can probably count me out. Unless a lot of other people say that its way better and more complex that Civ 5 at release, I'll likely skip this one.

Remember, CiV looked cool when it was a bunch of pictures, but when everyone started playing it in September 2010, all crappy design became obvious.
While it's certainly your call, I wouldn't write off a game without at least giving it a shot. Fallen Enchantress and Civ 5 are different games with different high-level goals. FE isn't for everyone, but we're trying to be as transparent as we can. There are thousands of people already playing the game right now, so if you're looking for a second opinion you can always ask one of them for their thoughts on how FE is shaping up.

- Jon

Much of my work with Fallen Enchantress has been providing Derek design suggestions on how to make the choices more interesting, what's working, what isn't, etc. If you're curious what sorts of things I'm recommending, I recently started a website where I put up articles sharing my thoughts on various topics relating to game design (as well as other things like project management).
I appreciate the fact you're coming here to explain your work.
But I've seen firsthand the actual RESULTS of your design ideas, so you'll pardon me if I'm not convinced by what the theories are.
Also - while I've been spending much of the last year helping out on FE, my primary role at Stardock is serving as producer & lead designer for a different (unannounced) game. I obviously can't talk about it yet, but for those who might be wondering I can say that it will be more complex than Civ 5.
Sorry to be snide, but that's hardly an accomplishment.
And sorry to be bitter, but I would have preferred for Civ5 to be more complex.

But I've seen firsthand the actual RESULTS of your design ideas, so you'll pardon me if I'm not convinced by what the theories are.

Sorry to be snide, but that's hardly an accomplishment.
And sorry to be bitter, but I would have preferred for Civ5 to be more complex.
I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy Civ 5. Every project has different high-level goals that help shape the final outcome. Additionally, the approach taken by a designer evolves over time. I don't know if you've played Civ 3, Spore or the Dragon Age Legends Facebook game, but those were all very different experiences despite being designed at least in part by the same person (Soren Johnson).

Anyways, all I can say is that every game is different. It's perfectly fine to dislike something for what it is, but if you let past experience permanently sour you then you might miss out on something that's a lot of fun. :)

- Jon

I think - and hope - that Steam is used only a distribution platform, and not included in the working of the game.
Stardock has always been very mindful of the consumer's rights, and forcing the Steam spyware and DRM down our throat would be a rather bad move - I know I would really hate it at least.
Mr. Shafer, are you reading this? :)

im not jon shafer lawyer but seriously HOW the hell can you judge a man that worked at a game where there were maybe other 15 20 ppl ???
and not knowing a thing about how the teamwork is there and who takes the decisions
not counting the malus for the many flaws the software house showed in the past years

i dunno really i want to buy the crystal sphere you are using

:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Now I have to find out which sotres nearby will sell it. :)

Thanks for the quick answer!

Any word on the Mac version? I hate having to reboot and go into Windows, it's just tedious.
Sorry, not sure. Derek would have a better idea about what's going on with that sort of thing. Heck, for all I know he may have decided to use Steam right after I said we weren't. ;)

- Jon

Top Bottom