Fallout 4

I've mostly finished Far Harbor. I've run out of missions and stories but there are still some sites left to explore. Overall, I thought it was pretty good. The main story and side-missions are decent, certainly better than the base game's main story (although that's not a high bar to get over :lol:).

There are some new monsters, most of which are pretty cool. I didn't think about it before, but Fallout 4 has no new monsters from Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I like all of the old adversaries, and I still enjoy shooting Raiders, Ghouls and Super-Mutants, but the new uglies in Far Harbor made me realize one of things the base game was missing.

The site design in Far Harbor is pretty good. I especially liked the MS Azalea.

The fog that shrouds the island most of the time makes for a cool, spooky atmosphere and creates some fun tactical situations. It certainly reduces your vision distance dramatically, and I think it may blind some of the bad guys too. I remember one fight in particular that was just nuts, skulking around in the foggy woods, I couldn't see a thing, and Raiders (called "Trappers" in Far Harbor) just kept popping up around me.

I brought Piper with me, and there's a new companion available on the island, but I've read that Nick Valentine has some unique interactions with the main storyline, and I don't think the game ever suggests that you bring him. Maybe I had a brain-cramp and missed it.

The settlement construction system is not improved one iota. I swear, some of the pre-existing buildings were purposely designed to frustrate the player. You can set yourself up with workshops and a powered-armor rack and some storage early; otherwise, if you're on the fence about the settlements, I wouldn't bother. Just painful.

Yeah i liked it too

The puzzle/minecraft section was an absolute disaster though, truly awful

Yeah i liked it too

The puzzle/minecraft section was an absolute disaster though, truly awful
Oh yeah, I forgot all about that. :lol: It was pretty tedious. Doubly so if you've played Portal and Portal 2 and know what the good version of that type of puzzle game is.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that. :lol: It was pretty tedious. Doubly so if you've played Portal and Portal 2 and know what the good version of that type of puzzle game is.
trying to play through it with the atrocious controls (on xbone) was a nightmare

Are there any mods in this game that reimplement some of the RPG elements? I really don't like the direction the game has taken by removing skills. I'm struggling to even call it an RPG game.

I'm underwhelmed by what I've read of the upcoming DLC. Adding more bits n' bobs to settlement construction doesn't fix what's wrong with it. It sucks. The main story also still blows. I'm not sure the people working on this game want any of the same things that I want from it. Oh well.

I agree. Moving things along conveyer belts will be cool the first time and then lame any time after that. Nobody wanted DLC to make vaults. People wanted story content.

However the problem is that people will still buy this fluff content, thus encouraging them to make more.

Regards.

My Fallout 4 experience was kind of diminished by it getting released just as I was finishing Witcher 3. Witcher 3 was amazing.

Witcher was captivating. The pinnacle of video games, at least for this Gen thus-far. I thought it was a masterpiece.

Finished it just before Fallout 4. I had been giddy anticipating F4. IMO Fallout 4, a similar game with the RPG elements and open world just seemed too sloppily put together compared to W3. The weapons and armor crafting/upgrade system as well as the settlement building was/is cumbersome. Other annoyances like the dialog drove me nuts out of the box. In my case, Fallout 4 came after a very tough act to follow and I lost interest fairly quickly (I think I explored every single inch of Fallout 3 and DLCs).

Was also disappointed that there was no hardcore mode and you can throttle up or down difficulty as you need.

The weapons and armor crafting/upgrade system as well as the settlement building was/is cumbersome.
how was it more cumbersome than w3's crafting and repair system?

Other annoyances like the dialog drove me nuts out of the box.
you don't mind having basically no dialogue choices at all in w3?

Was also disappointed that there was no hardcore mode and you can throttle up or down difficulty as you need.
you mean exactly like w3?

Well the crafting system of w3 was difficult at first, but once i learned it was useful. Weapons getting damaged was a nuisance on harder difficulties. I guess when f4 came out i was used to w3 which i thought was a good system... never really got the hang of f4s. I just collect all the garbage i can and store it all at a settlement. Especially the settlements... annoyances like trying to connect a wire that inexplicably wouldnt connect. Seemed a lot more buggy.

Difficulty... wasnt aware you could change in w3. I go for the achievements/trophies. W3 has them for difficulty and f4 doesnt.

With the dialogue. Witcher 3 had straight forward choices that had cobsequences (and usually) other consequences. On fallout 3, there was the silly response wheel with one or two word summaries of responses that made no sense... and often would muck up what i would want to do and it cost a great deal of immersion.

My preferences, witcher 3 was an amazing game and experience. As a result, i was a little let down by f4. F4 is still a great game. Better than most things that get released.

i mean i also prefer witcher 3, but it didn't really have any impact on my impression of fallout 4. They're very different and I came in with different expectations.

I'm underwhelmed by what I've read of the upcoming DLC. Adding more bits n' bobs to settlement construction doesn't fix what's wrong with it. It sucks. The main story also still blows. I'm not sure the people working on this game want any of the same things that I want from it. Oh well.

I don't understand why anyone would expect anything else from Bethesda at this point.

Have you guys seen the new IMPROVED skyrim they're releasing in October? :) It... it has... better textures and... and "volymetric lighting" or whatever it's called. :lol: Never mind it looks exactly or slightly worse even than my old skyrim on PC.

For consoles, it's a pretty big thing.

I am actually looking forward to the new Skyrim. Never really got through most of the main quest and only did 1 character build. I feel like there is so much I can still get out of Skyrim... which remains probably a top 2 or 3 best console release of all time.

I'm curious about the mod tools for Fallout 4. The mods I've seen so far haven't added much in the way of playable content - e.g. stories & missions - and I wonder if that's a limitation of the tools provided. I know that some of the mods have had a ton of work put into them, with scripts and voice work provided by groups of actors and all the rest (such as Atomic Radio). If the developers aren't going to give us new gameplay content, maybe the community could.

Top Bottom