[Feature] Additional Wonders

- changed Triumphal Arch from a National Wonder into a Great Wonder

Will there be a replacement bonus when you achieve 2 UHV? Or will that feature be removed completely?

I considered removing the bonus completely, but at the moment you simply receive a free golden age without a building attached to it. So in effect you only lose the additional building production in your capital.

I'm currently giving a creating some art for the Parisian Metro, based on the suggestion of steb. (The one with the roof)

The basic structure shouldn't be too hard to create. The difficulty of the artistic elements depends on the level of detail. (Which will probably be much lower because I try to reduce the polygon count)

So fingers crossed.

Good luck!

Comments on art and buttons:
  • Tsukiji Market could use a more thematic button — ideally featuring the famous tuna auction?
  • El Escorial uses art that represents de Palacio da Pena in Portugal. Isn't there Escorial art in RFCEurope?
  • Gardens by the Bay could use some better art (if possible), neither its button nor its 3D model resemble anything like gardens (I know the button represents one of the greenhouse things, but the "Supertrees" would make a nicer button)
  • This is a small detail, but Sociology has too many elements to fit in the tech tree box; maybe move the Military Academy to something else like Combined Arms?
Also the 1700 scenario still crashes, I think because the scenario specifies that the (non-existent) Leaning Tower should be in Milan.

I tried to make something that resembles the Supertrees of Gardens by the Bay. But it is a bit complex to make. (Especially the branches) So I decided to postpone that and work on the Parisian Metro, which is much simpler.

RFCE has very generic art for Escorial, I'd rather use something more specific even if it is inaccurate. For Gardens by the Bay, it would already look better if there were a few tree models (from the deciduous forest model) on that Dike graphic. Sociology once was a rather empty tech so I moved a bunch of stuff to it, one of the things can surely be moved. Military Academy to Combined Arms makes sense.

Following up on my suggestion, I made new buttons for the Tsukiji Fish Market and Gardens by the Bay:
tsukijiFishMarket.png gardensByTheBay.png

Attachments

• tsukiji_gardens_bay_buttons.zip
    23.9 KB · Views: 145
They look great, thanks! Do you feel up for a pull request?

On another note, I think I am done with including wonders on the "waiting list" so far, the remaining ones don't feel compelling enough to me. (Actually, there is still the Pantheon left to be added but it didn't even make it there.)

Looking at the era distribution, I am mostly concerned with the industrial era at the moment, in particular columns 13 and 15. Some of it may be addressed by moving some wonder requirements (for example, Brooklyn Bridge and Mole Antonelliana were completed in the 1880s which lines up more closely with column 15), but the Industrial era still seems neglected. In particular, it is very Western centric, the only non-Western wonder here is the Tsukiji Fish Market. It kind of makes sense since this is the era of European ascendancy and imperialism, but still there could be a few different wonders. Also, I have noticed that techs actually related to industrial and scientific advances usually go without a wonder, which is really odd since that is what defined that period the most. For review (or as a challenge), these techs do not have a wonder at the moment:

Column 13:
- Machine Tools
- Thermodynamics (someone mentioned Abbey Mills Pumping Station I think?)
- Chemistry
- Biology

Column 15:
- Pneumatics (would be covered with the Paris Metro)
- Assembly Line
- Refining
- Microbiology

How about to make Periodic table as a project, which unlocked with Chemistry?

The Periodic table, first discovered by Mendeleev, Russia. Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_table
Unlocked by Chemistry, 1500:hammers:
+50% faster when built in a city which has Academy.
+1:science: for every working mine. Every civ which has discovered Chemistry and has an Academy get this effect automatically.

Also I think about to make Darwin's origin of species as an project which unlocked with Biology, but I've not decide the effect.

It feels like Japan was the only non-Western country to do well in the 19th century...

The Imperial Palace of Tokyo (a.k.a. Koukyo or Imperial Residence) fits the time period. It could have an effect representing centralization and/or state Shinto: allow Pagan Temples to be built, and +2 EXP from Pagan Temples? Or bonus in capital per Pagan Temple?

Some ideas:
Assembly line - Ford's factory
Biology - (London's) Museum of Natural History
Thermodynamics - St Pancras Station (London) or Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus Station (Mumbai) (I'd prefer Mumbai's, it's more beautiful and it's in Asia, even if it was built under the British Raj).

Bangkok's Wat Arun (its spires) and Istanbul's Dolmabahçe Palace are also from the period, and they're not western, but I don't know what tech they could be assigned to.

Refining - Neft daşları (Oil rocks), oldest sea platform near oldest industrial oil well, impressive sea town in Azerbaijan.
Yet another sea tiles wonder, yes.

Prereqs: sea access, oil in BFC.
Effect: industrial parks, coal plants and wonder itself provide +5 hammers to owner's city, oil wells and platforms provide +5 hammers to its tile; oil platforms can be built without Electronics.

Refining - Neft daşları (Oil rocks), oldest sea platform near oldest industrial oil well, impressive sea town in Azerbaijan.
Yet another sea tiles wonder, yes.

Prereqs: sea access, oil in BFC.
Effect: industrial parks, coal plants and wonder itself provide +5 hammers to owner's city, oil wells and platforms provide +5 hammers to its tile; oil platforms can be built without Electronics.

That's cool, I was reading that for a long time Azerbaijan produced about 90% of the world's oil, and this is super appropriate. Perhaps make it so that desert (and mountains) are present in city radius to limit the chances of it being built elsewhere?

New update: updated Python and DLL constants, corrected some breaking bugs

Version 0.1 of the Metropolitain.

This is my first real model I created. (Before this, I only created some tutorial models in blender) It is definitely not the final version, but I don't think it looks bad for a first try. I want to try out how it would look like ingame first before I continue to polish it.

It took a bit more work to convert the model to a nif model that can be used ingame. The first problem I encountered is transparent alpha channel. I was able to get it working in blender, but when I exported it to a nif file, the whole model was transparent (so completely invisible). I knew it should be possible to have alpha channels because the new Svalbard Seed Vault does have it as well. (There were used to be some "holes" in the mountain, but I fixed them in a PR) But by some trial and error I found which settings controls the alpha channels, so now I'm able to have proper alpha channels.

When I finally had the alpha channel working, I wanted to see how it looked ingame. So I copied nif and dds file to the arts folder of DoC and gave a random building the art. But unfortunately, it turned into the infamous red blob. I didn't have a clue what the problem was. Miracilously, I found out the problem. I exported it to the wrong nif version. The only problem, I couldn't find the setting to set the correct version. The export script is written in python, so I hoped I could find something in there, but I could find how to export to the correct version. In the end it turned out that I wasn't looking well. When exporting, there is a small menu in which you can select the game the nif file is entended to be for. I chose Civ IV (duh) and hit the export button. I got a small python exception, but I could easily fix that by commenting out a small part of code. Now I could finally see my own model ingame. It took me a while, but it's there.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0145.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0145.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 454
Looks good for the first attempt!

Top Bottom