I would strong advise against using "targets first" bonuses for Horse Archers. Here's why: target first bonuses completely undermine the rock-paper-scissors model at the heart of Civilization IV unit design. Horse Archers that target Axemen, Swordmen, and Macemen first outside cities, and have a significant attack bonus against these units, would completely change late classical and medieval warfare. The only response to stack of Horse Archers would be other mounted stacks, particularly War Elephants, since melee units could not be adequately defended in the field. (You would lose more hammers in Macemen than your opponent would in Horse Archers, especially given the 30% withdrawal chance.) Spearmen and Pikemen, unable to defend single move melee units outside of cities, would be relegated to the role of city defenders. It wouldn't be pretty. Don't get me wrong: "targets first" bonuses are an excellent choice for unique units. It's acceptable for a single civilization to break unit balance in a particular era; that's what makes them unique. But ordinary units should stick to rock-paper-scissors.

A few versions ago, the balance worked out as follows:
In the Ancient Era, Axemen beat Spearmen, Spearmen beat Chariots, and Chariots beat Axemen.
In the Classical Era, Horse Archers beat Horsemen, Horsemen beat Swordsmen, Swordsmen beat War Elephants, and War Elephants beat Horse Archers.
(Horse Archers were 6:strength: with a high withdrawal chance. Horsemen were 5:strength: with a bonus against melee units. Swordsmen had a bonus against War Elephants.)
In the Medieval Era, Macemen beat Pikemen, Pikemen beat Knights, Knights beat Crossbowmen, and Crossbowmen beat Pikemen.

Since then, a few units have been moved around the tech tree; but I feel the original balance was best.

Ships of the Line should probably be changed to add a Gunpowder requirement, same as Frigates, Galleons, and Privateers. As it currently stands, it is possible to research Meteorology before Gunpowder, resulting in the odd situation of having Ships of the Line alongside Dromons and Caravels.

Also, the 'tag' for non-European Great Generals seems to have been replaced with the one for Great Engineers, which can be confusing.

I sympathize with that point; particularly because it makes axemen practically useless, at least in the open field. However, given the role of horse archers historically (and i think that is the entire point of the civ franchise) it makes perfect sense. while horse archers do have that advantage they can be easily countered by spear/pike men. Yes your axe and swordsmen will be decimated when you invade an enemy, but with spearmen you can easily return the favor, since horse archers can very rarely attack and retreat in one turn.(really only on road tiles in their own territory) This means horse archers are not only historically accurate (they were used to wipe out slower armies) but with out spearmen and axemen in support those horse archers are just as vulnerable to counter attack as you were to their initial attack. In all the same basic successful tactic of civ are the same (when attacking bring balanced and overwhelming numbers, when defending defeat one/two -rarely three- waves of troops and counter attack). Without having played with the new stats I dont think the rock paper scissors hasn't changed that much, since horse archers beat axemen (swordsmen depending on their terrain will put up a solid fight given their equal base value) spearmen beats horse archer. (in turn beaten by axemen, furthermore withdrawn horse archers are also vulnerable to the axe and swordsmen they didn't kill a half turn before. In or out of cities spearmen serve the same purpose they or any other unit serves, countering the units they are designed to counter. At the end of the day, horse archers are extremely powerful (as they should be) and defenders must rely on good positioning (hills and forest) for protection.

What about giving Horse Archers Flank Attack against the units they're intended to counter? They engage the enemy army, the dedicated counter units step up to tackle them, they do their best to get an opportunity to snipe at some shock troops and escape.

Take #2.1:

Horseman
Requires Riding
Requires Horses, Copper or Iron
6 :strength:, 2 :move:, 50 :hammers:
• Doesn't receive defensive bonuses
• 20% chance to withdraw from Combat
• -50% city attack
• +50% vs. Siege Units
• Flank Attack vs. Siege Units
Upgrades to Heavy Horseman or Horse Archer

No changes here. They're lethal against Siege and will defeat Axemen and Chariots in the field. Spearmen will stop them and they're evenly matched against Swordsman and Horse Archer. They don't need to be the Swordsman counter because the Axeman already has that role, and the Horse Archer picks it up a bit later. They're the only unit capable of flanking siege before the medieval era so they have a vital role to play.

Horse Archer
Requires Nobility and Riding
Requires Horses
6 :strength:, 2 :move:, 70 :hammers:
• Immune to first strikes
• Doesn't receive defensive bonuses
• 30% chance to withdraw from combat
• +25% Attack vs. Axemen, Swordsmen, and Heavy Footmen
• Targets Axemen, Swordsmen, or Heavy Footmen first in combat outside cities
Upgrades to Cuirassier

Key (and only) change here is that the Horse Archer's attack bonus is reduced. They will still comfortably kill Axemen and Swordsmen but they now have a slight numerical disadvantage against Heavy Footman. Their withdrawal chance compensates for that so the two units should be a reasonably even match out in the field. Thus the Horse Archer remains useful in the Medieval era, but not so useful that the Heavy Footman is weakened too much.

They can be countered by War Elephants, Heavy Horsemen, counterattacking or city-based Spearmen and Pikemen. Crossbowman and Horsemen are the same strength as them. I don't think they'll be too unstoppable.

As you point out, horse archers date to about 900 B.C.
Alexander the Great fought against horse archers in about 300 B.C.
So lots of historical justification for having them appear much earlier.
They were still around when you will have them appear, so if that works better from a game standpoint that is fine. They were still important in the western US in the 1800s.

The earliest Horse Archers in western asia (Assyrian, Scythian, Sarmatian, etc) were really just archers on horses, with little capability of attacking while mobile. It may been different over by China, I don't know. By Alexander's time we start to get records of more 'proper' Horse Archers as the more eastern Iranian peoples moved westward.

Given the classical era in HR goes from 1000 BCE - 500 CE (varying game to game of course) I figure the second column is the ideal place to unlock the Horse Archer, but Nobility is one of the easier third column techs to acquire so it'll do.

Nobility seems like the least bad choice for Horse Archer.
This may indicate a possibility of usefully expanding the tech tree a bit in this area, but this is not a high priority.

Yeah I never designed that part of the tree with such units in mind. No obvious changes come to mind now, but maybe in the future.

The real problem is making horse archers good enough to matter, without making them so good building Horsemen is pointless.

That's why I'm proposing the Horse Archer become a later upgrade to the Horseman (and Chariot).

Or we could just go back to the way the game used to work and have nothing but Horse Archer cavalry in ancient/classical times. But having an expensive 'shock cavalry' unit that is inferior to Horse Archers in almost all circumstances just isn't going to work.

Not in the same era, no.

I would strong advise against using "targets first" bonuses for Horse Archers. Here's why: target first bonuses completely undermine the rock-paper-scissors model at the heart of Civilization IV unit design. Horse Archers that target Axemen, Swordmen, and Macemen first outside cities, and have a significant attack bonus against these units, would completely change late classical and medieval warfare.

Good. I think it's worthwhile to shake up the system a little, so long as we don't break it the process. A few units scattered throughout the eras that introduce some different tactics makes warfare more interesting. Especially if they encourage warfare away from cities.

The only response to stack of Horse Archers would be other mounted stacks, particularly War Elephants, since melee units could not be adequately defended in the field. (You would lose more hammers in Macemen than your opponent would in Horse Archers, especially given the 30% withdrawal chance.)

Yeah I agree that this is a problem, have made some adjustments.

Spearmen and Pikemen, unable to defend single move melee units outside of cities, would be relegated to the role of city defenders. It wouldn't be pretty.

They're still needed against Heavy Horsemen and War Elephants, which will both be active around the times Horse Archers are. You still need to protect your siege units.

A few versions ago, the balance worked out as follows:
In the Ancient Era, Axemen beat Spearmen, Spearmen beat Chariots, and Chariots beat Axemen.
In the Classical Era, Horse Archers beat Horsemen, Horsemen beat Swordsmen, Swordsmen beat War Elephants, and War Elephants beat Horse Archers.
(Horse Archers were 6:strength: with a high withdrawal chance. Horsemen were 5:strength: with a bonus against melee units. Swordsmen had a bonus against War Elephants.)

We can't really consider the ancient and classical eras separately, especially under the old system where many of the units are unlocked around the same time (late Ancient, early Classical). Spearman also beat Horse Archers and Horsemen, Axemen also beat Swordsmen, War Elephants beat almost everything, and so on.

In the Medieval Era, Macemen beat Pikemen, Pikemen beat Knights, Knights beat Crossbowmen, and Crossbowmen beat Pikemen.

The medieval era is different because those units replace many of the early units, whereas most of the classical units exist alongside the ancient ones.

Since then, a few units have been moved around the tech tree; but I feel the original balance was best.

The main problem with the original balance was that you had 4 mounted units become available within 3 columns of the tech tree and then just one per era thereafter. Even with their counter roles there still wasn't space for them because other units could counter the same units.

The War Elephant shifting later in the classical era made things much better and I think shifting the Horse Archer later is needed too. It also means we'll have a wider variety of mounted units available throughout the Medieval era as well. Options increasing rather than decreasing as the game progresses is a good thing.

I sympathize with that point; particularly because it makes axemen practically useless, at least in the open field. However, given the role of horse archers historically (and i think that is the entire point of the civ franchise) it makes perfect sense. while horse archers do have that advantage they can be easily countered by spear/pike men. Yes your axe and swordsmen will be decimated when you invade an enemy, but with spearmen you can easily return the favor, since horse archers can very rarely attack and retreat in one turn.(really only on road tiles in their own territory) This means horse archers are not only historically accurate (they were used to wipe out slower armies) but with out spearmen and axemen in support those horse archers are just as vulnerable to counter attack as you were to their initial attack.

Yeah, it's just an attack bonus. Spearman and Pikeman will still slaughter Horse Archers if they can counter attack, and in cities of course. Horse Archers were one of the most significant cavalry forces in history, I think they should have a powerful (but balanced) role and be around much longer than they are currently in HR.

What about giving Horse Archers Flank Attack against the units they're intended to counter? They engage the enemy army, the dedicated counter units step up to tackle them, they do their best to get an opportunity to snipe at some shock troops and escape.

Flank attacks affect numerous units, while the target first mechanic affects just one. Flank attacks are fine for siege but against regular units it's just too strong.

Ships of the Line should probably be changed to add a Gunpowder requirement, same as Frigates, Galleons, and Privateers. As it currently stands, it is possible to research Meteorology before Gunpowder, resulting in the odd situation of having Ships of the Line alongside Dromons and Caravels.

Ship of the Line used to be at Physics which required Gunpowder. Guess I forgot to account for this when I moved it forward to Meteorology, which doesn't.

Also, the 'tag' for non-European Great Generals seems to have been replaced with the one for Great Engineers, which can be confusing.

By 'tag' do you mean button graphic? If so, fixed.

Spoiler :

on a similar note, in my last game as Sobieski, the modern polish great general was ethnically African and not polish.

I sympathize with that point; particularly because it makes axemen practically useless, at least in the open field. However, given the role of horse archers historically (and i think that is the entire point of the civ franchise) it makes perfect sense.
Not... really. Horse archers didn't utterly dominate classical warfare, you see. For a lot of reasons, they didn't. You saw all kinds of different tactics- shock infantry, ranged skirmish infantry, shock cavalry, ranged skirmish cavalry. Shock infantry was arguably the most effective in the west and the Middle East (Roman legion, Greek phalanx). The balance was different in India, China, and other centers of civilization, but only on the central steppes of Asia were horse cavalry truly dominant over all other 'troop types.' And even there, it wasn't as if an army with horse archers could easily conquer anyone else at will- while the defeat of the Roman legions at Carrhae at the hands of Persian horse archers is famous, the Persians never succeeded in permanently conquering Rome any more than the Romans ever really conquered Persia.

So while it makes some sense to turn horse archers into "counter melee infantry in open field," horse archers shouldn't be the optimal counter unit for melee infantry, strong enough to slaughter them while laughing at their futile attempts to defend themselves with (suddenly useless) spearmen.

Maybe horse archers should just get a flat anti-melee bonus? They can't slaughter spearmen, but they'd be strong enough to at least stand a chance (say, Strength 5, +50% bonus), and against other types of melee infantry they'd win fairly reliably. And they'd get the penalty for city attack since horse archers are useless at taking defenses.

Meanwhile, Horsemen would keep the flank attack counter-siege bonus, and retain useful effectiveness against cities.

At the end of the day, horse archers are extremely powerful (as they should be) and defenders must rely on good positioning (hills and forest) for protection.
I think you've been swept up by the... conquering romance, as it were, of the Mongol hordes. Horse archers were a powerful force on the classical and medieval battlefield. They were far from the only one, or the thing that beat all other strategies.

In real life, the counter to horse archers was usually your own foot archers- who were steadier, could take cover behind field fortifications, often had longer-ranged bows, and didn't have to engage in complex, exhausting dodges and dashes back and forth. That was a major problem for horse archers, the horses simply being run into exhaustion by the need to hit and run and whirl in and whirl out of bow range as needed. They couldn't keep it up forever, and one of the reasons the Mongols were so successful is that their horses had incredible endurance and could keep up such tactics longer than normal.

If you want to give the Mongols a super Horse Archer that is greatly superior in all ways that's justified. But no other civilization ever really came close to matching that performance.

That's an interesting idea.

Interesting indeed. So, Horsemen can upgrade to Knights or Horse Archers, and Knights and Horse Archers are intended to coexist?

When do Knights become available again? If it's at Nobility or maybe one tech after that, I think we're good. If not, very few Horseman units will ever get upgraded to Knights, except maybe for human-played ones. Then again, that may not really matter.

So while it makes some sense to turn horse archers into "counter melee infantry in open field," horse archers shouldn't be the optimal counter unit for melee infantry, strong enough to slaughter them while laughing at their futile attempts to defend themselves with (suddenly useless) spearmen.
again spearmen will not be useless, once those horse archers have attacked a stack of melee units, killing a good chunk of the axe and swordsmen, they are easy targets for any spearmen in said stack. In cities spearmen will protect those axemen, who will still present a problem for swordsmen that follow.
Horse archers were a powerful force on the classical and medieval battlefield. They were far from the only one, or the thing that beat all other strategies.
true, horse archers were not the only powerful force of the classical and medieval ages. But they did, even after losing to the Greeks, compel Alexander the Great to abandon his campaign in the Central Asian steep. They both conquered and later protected Eastern Europe/Russia from subsequent invasions, and were the backbone of not only the largest continuous land empire in history, but also constituted a large part if not the base of every subsequent Cavalry force of Central Asia, India, the Middle East, Africa, and parts of Europe until the development of firearms. (Even then Comanche (as well as other Native American) mounted archers could hold their own against US and mounted riflemen well into the 1800s) Native American Cavalry even preferred, in some circumstances to forfeit the advantage in range of single shot rifles for the increased rate of fire and accuracy of a bow.
one of the reasons the Mongols were so successful is that their horses had incredible endurance and could keep up such tactics longer than normal.
Horses from the Asian Steppe (which includes Mongolia) were for as long as horses were used in combat, considered the best horses around. Yes the Mongols used them more effectively than anyone else, but the bloodlines of those Mongolian horses were preserved long after their empire collapsed. Indian, Turkic, British and Russian Cavalry forces paid top dollar for those bloodlines as late as the 20th century. Really all that changed between Genghis Khan's horde and Russian (the Soviets were desperate enough to field cavalry against German Tanks in the Great Patriotic War) Cossacks was the fact that instead of bows, more modern cavalry used rifles. The hit and run tactics and genetics of the horses were more or less unchanged.

Spoiler :

on a similar note, in my last game as Sobieski, the modern polish great general was ethnically African and not polish.

Strange, the correct general (Pilsudski) is appearing for me.

Interesting indeed. So, Horsemen can upgrade to Knights or Horse Archers, and Knights and Horse Archers are intended to coexist?

Yep.

When do Knights become available again? If it's at Nobility or maybe one tech after that, I think we're good. If not, very few Horseman units will ever get upgraded to Knights, except maybe for human-played ones. Then again, that may not really matter.

Heavy Horsemen (Knights) are unlocked at Stirrups, early Medieval. It's in the same line that unlocks Heavy Footmen and the earlier melee units. Horse Archers, at Nobility (late Classical), are on a different line, following Currency and Law.

Strange, the correct general (Pilsudski) is appearing for me.
Never mind, it's correct. His skin tone is significantly darker than the other Polish units and thus it threw me off.

The fighting platform (howdah?) on the Chinese War Elephant continues to levitate in its initial position even after the elephant under it goes down (particularly noticeable with 'Single Unit Graphics' turned off).

The fighting platform (howdah?) on the Chinese War Elephant continues to levitate in its initial position even after the elephant under it goes down (particularly noticeable with 'Single Unit Graphics' turned off).

It seems the howdah isn't attached to the rest of the model at all, it remains static in all animations. Most obvious in the death animation of course. I'll try figure out how to get it attached properly.

This one is really useful

I have it in my mod.

Attachments

• basic_war_prizes_11.rar
    2.8 KB · Views: 132
I approached a to-conquer city with a mixed stack. The defenders sent out some mounted units (Horse Archers or Horsemen) who successfully attacked and killed some of my Heavy Footmen, but managed to avoid my anti-horse-promoted Pikemen, who would have presumably skewered them. Do some horse units now get to pick their targets?

Sorry but I can't provide evidence of this --- it was using the since-patched original version of HR1.18.

That's right, Horse Archers attack Axemen, Swordsmen and Heavy Footmen first (only outside cities). But that's wanted and also written in the unit description.

Limitation of Unit building.

Ironclads, Destroyers, Battleships, Cruisers, Carriers, Missile Cruisers, Stealth Destroyers = require Drydock

Fighters, Bombers, Jet Fighters require an Airport.

That's right, Horse Archers attack Axemen, Swordsmen and Heavy Footmen first (only outside cities). But that's wanted and also written in the unit description.

Who ordered this? It seems incomplete.

These Horse Archers also evaded my Elephants. OK, it should be possible to flank slow Elephants. But, they even evaded my own horse units! Surely my horses are ready for a charge?

Even more. Why would horses be able to evade spears and pikes at all? Seeing that a horse attack on foot soldiers was coming, surely a defender would install their Pikemen right in front of or in between their Axemen, Swordsmen and Heavy Footmen?

Who ordered this? It seems incomplete.

These Horse Archers also evaded my Elephants. OK, it should be possible to flank slow Elephants. But, they even evaded my own horse units! Surely my horses are ready for a charge?

They target Axemen, Swordsmen, and Heavy Footmen first in a stack when attacking only. They have no such luxury on defence. They need to be taken out by pre-emptive attacks or counter attacks. War Elephants and Heavy Horsemen will decimate Horse Archers if they can catch them, as will many melee units of the era if a Horse Archer is foolish enough to linger too close.

Even more. Why would horses be able to evade spears and pikes at all? Seeing that a horse attack on foot soldiers was coming, surely a defender would install their Pikemen right in front of or in between their Axemen, Swordsmen and Heavy Footmen?

They're Horse Archers; fast, very mobile, with ranged attacks. They can go around the pikes or even shoot over them.

Top Bottom