FfH2 0.22 Bug Thread

My thanks to the poster, I forget who, that clued me in to Magnidine. I hadn't played the Hippus in awhile, and late game this has to be one of the most powerful heroes.

The poster mentioned he was able to capture Acheron with Magnidine. I haven't been able to do that (killed by another civ), but I have been able to recruit a large army of (former) barb Heavy Crossbowmen, Lizard Beastmasters, and Lizard Druids. I have taken to deleting many of my older units including Blooded Werewolves as the new recruits are more powerful.

Two questions:

1. I haven't had the opportunity, but do you think it would be possible to capture the Four Horsemen with Magnidine? It looks like my game will finish before they appear.

2. The other, may be a bug, I'm not sure. The only barb unit I have not been able to capture is an Edelon (bad spelling, sorry). Is this correct? I note that I had never been able to capture one with an Inquisitor too.

thanks

First: kudos, excellent mod, amazingly well done.

Playing 0.22h last night and ran into a couple minor early game bugs:
- Moved a captured bear into a city that was constructing a Carnival. 2 turns left on the carnival, but I was able to use the bear's special ability to convert him into a dancing bear, even though the carnival was not complete
- Had a scout sitting on one of the lookout towers. A computer AI that I did not have open borders with plopped a city down right next to the tower pushing my unit out of the tower so that I stayed outside the new city's border. When my unit was activated on the next turn, it still had the +2 visibility bonus as though it were still sitting in the tower, even though it wasn't. This disappeared after I moved the unit.

Those are both very minor bugs.
The bigger balance issue is that, IMO even with the tuning on the wolves, the wolf growth rate and numbers of animals that can be in play on a continent still feels too high. I was playing Monarch (I often play and win emperor on stock Civ and sevomod), and I am a pretty fast expansionist. But I was finding it very difficult to keep up with the wolves, bears, and lions I had around me. The problem with the wolves is that there are many due to the exponential growth rate, and you can't control easily where and how many you fight due to their 2 movement points. The bear growth rate also seems to be a problem - its fine to have some strength 4 bears around for a challenge, but you need a good stack of 2-3 scouts/warrs to take them out reliably (or 1 more powerful unit like a hunter). In my most recent game there were 3 bear generators around my capital, and between these and the wolves it was getting pretty ridiculous. Needing a hunter or archer (or stack of 3 weaker units) in order to get your second city built might be what your design is going for, but it is not consistent with vanilla Civ, hence my sense as a player that this is out of balance.

The first is not a bug; dancing bears aren't in a carnival, they just dance around the streets (you notice the rest of them are animal cages, the bear isn't)
The second is to keep the game moving more smoothly. If the computer had to check every unit for every possibility (like being in a watchtower, being defensive and being/not being in your territory, etc) each turn, things would slow down. So, they are checked on unit movement.
The animal spawning will be changed in the next version.

Any time i try to attack a catapult with my undead with canabalizm promotion and am victorious, game crashes.
Encountered few other crashes, possibly related becouse AI could use such undead vs catapults.
Not tested with other "dead" and "undead" units, so cant say if it only catapult unit.

And about the "Domination" spell. It is too easy to loose an level 10 archmage to an level 1 unpromoted enemy.
I fully agree, the probability is aweful and forces to save before every Dom spell. But it's a matter of balance.

Playing .022h as the Elohim. have had two possible bugs.
1. whenever i try to use a Great Sage to pop a tech , it goes thru the graphics, sage disappears, pop up occurs for the tech, but then i don't get the tech. I tried this three times for alteration, elementalism and sorcery and all three times same thing happens, the great prophet and great merchant worked fine at this.
I noticed the same, not as Elohim and even without a tech pop up. I think, that the bonus does not bring the new tech completely, but lowers the time to achive the tech considerably. Am I right ot not?

any time the lightbulb button tooltip says "+xxx :beaker: for <tech>" you'll get that much but need to finish the rest off yourself. You shouldn't get a popup until it finishes though.

Regarding the spell triggering war, it's mainly because such a popup would cause OOS errors in multiplayer.

Had an unusual error when I installed the latest version/patch, and as ever my apologies if this has been addressed previously.

I've played the hell out of FF2 and love it. I dl's the latest and ran it on my brother's PC, so he could try it out. No luck, when he fired up his first game all the buttons were gone and his units were, essentially, 'pink blobs.'

Thinking it had something to do with his louse of a box, I then ran it on my computer... same thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

A captured Orc Spearman can upgrade to an Elven Axeman, resulting being a Orcish Elvish Axeman. I think the Orc is an Orc, even if captured and should upgrade in the Orc line. Or loose the Orc promotion and become a true Elf and upgrade in the Elven line.
(Theoreticaly, he can then be captured again and upgrade to an Dwarven Hammerfist and have three race upgrades.)

Just a thought...... Locust

Had an unusual error when I installed the latest version/patch, and as ever my apologies if this has been addressed previously.

I've played the hell out of FF2 and love it. I dl's the latest and ran it on my brother's PC, so he could try it out. No luck, when he fired up his first game all the buttons were gone and his units were, essentially, 'pink blobs.'

Thinking it had something to do with his louse of a box, I then ran it on my computer... same thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

You installed just the patch and not the main file. I did the same thing.

Any time i try to attack a catapult with my undead with canabalizm promotion and am victorious, game crashes.
Encountered few other crashes, possibly related becouse AI could use such undead vs catapults.
Not tested with other "dead" and "undead" units, so cant say if it only catapult unit.

I havent been able to reproduce this. Could you provide a save?

I've been experiencing random crashes, I'm not sure why at all. It seems to crash for no reason. Usually, I can reload from auto-save, and, provided I do something slightly different to how I did it from before, I can usually avoid the crash for a turn or two, however, it catches up with me, and in order to continue, I have to play a dance of loading and slight changing in order to successfully navigate the game (which I give up on doing very quickly).

As it stands, looking at that previous patch list, the only reason I can think for this to happen is possibly from the "5. Fixed the crash when Mobius Witches are spawned." in Patch A not being fixed in Patch H. I've been noticing this patch a great deal when playing Sheam, although this may just be because I've been playing (or trying to play) them over the past couple of days. I've also noticed this crashing occurring when I'm not playing them however, although I can imagine this may be a result of the AI playing them and I'm unable to recall whether the AI used the Sheam during those games. Either way, the times at which it occurs seems to coincide at the times that the Planar Gates would have been built (and lasted for several turns), which would reinforce the loose possibility that it relates to that Mobius Witch bug.

Assuming it doesn't relate however, I'm at a loss to explain what causes it. It occurs with all kinds of different maps and it's occurred with different civilisations (although it's been frequent with the Sheam).

Edit: I tested it and managed to spawn a Mobius Witch, so it can't be that. Never mind ><

Top Bottom