FfH2 0.31 Bug Thread

I've got a major bug here, not major as in gamebreaking/CTDs, but definetly major as far as AI behavior and gameplay goes.

Now tell me at least two things that are wrong in this screenshot below (besides the lone warrior*).

For one, you can't build on an unique feature, and two, you can't build on mana nodes. At least this is the rule for players and other civ AIs.

Honestly the AI is misbehaving really badly here because it's doing something that the player can't. I'll check this out using the Clan and see if I can still build a city where Barbatos is. Barbatos is powerful enough on his own, but in a city with barb units and potentially Acheron??

Edit: just checked and yea the clan can build a city on top of barbatos. Ecen though the clan and Charadon of the Doviello can do this, it still wouldn't be very smart because as soon as the barbs decide you're too powerful, Barbatos is going to wreak havoc on your city. Not to mention killing your allies or having your allies sending an army through your territory to kill him. I still consider this a bug because AFAIK, you can't get anything out of the mana node if you're on top of it, although since it's already a death mana, it's automatic. Basically I would consider taking a look at this because I'm pretty sure nobody, even the barbarians, were supposed to be able to build a city on top of barbatos. Although with the change to immobile units in .32, lets see what happens there.

*That lone warrior is there because I was looking at the map in WB and was wondering if Barbatos was killed yet and I couldn't find him (or the sepulcher or the mana node that appears when he is defeated) at the spot where I knew where he was, when I looked at the barb city close by with unit view and there he was. I decided to go back to the normal game screen as it would be easier to show in a screenshot

Is that a random map?

The continent looks like Australia.

I've seen this once before. I kinda like it. It happened to my Wife and it took her 20 Swordsman to weaken Barbatos and then the barbie warriors in the sity defened it until he was strong again. It had to be one of the funniest things I have seen. She was PO'd

In my most recent game, I was moving a skeleton with mobility towards the Dovellio as I was at war with them. Between our empires was a Barbarian city, and the initial movement path for the skeleton avoided this city. However, a few turns later, I razed the barbarian city without attacking. The skeleton had changed its path to move through the city, and even though there were 3 warriors in the city (nothing that might trigger the supposed withdraw bug), they all appear to have been destroyed.

When I tried to reload to see if I could reproduce this, it did not happen again, but instead the skeleton's path would change to go through or around the city depending on if it was inside my or the barbarians cultural borders or if it was outside of anyone's borders.

How did you manage to get a skeleton with mobility? IIRC, skeletons have no UnitCombat and don't get promotions.

Do you mean an Infernal unit of some kind instead? I forget which ones have skeletons as their models.

get spell extension on the summoning unit, they'll get additional movement that way.

The pre-programmed paths are generally a bit buggy. I never send units out over 1 tile away, because they keep running into elephants, attacking them and getting killed (expecially with movement 2+ units).

For one, you can't build on an unique feature, and two, you can't build on mana nodes. At least this is the rule for players and other civ AIs.

Honestly the AI is misbehaving really badly here because it's doing something that the player can't. I'll check this out using the Clan and see if I can still build a city where Barbatos is. Barbatos is powerful enough on his own, but in a city with barb units and potentially Acheron??

I've actually NEVER seen barbatos(and his mana node) anywhere but IN a barb city.. not once in any game of any version(that I've played) ever.

Never seen Acheron in the same city either..

I just thought that was the way it was supposed to be.. *hum*

I did say potentially Acheron because it was the only barb city in the world (small map) at that moment. I decided to erase him and the city in WB since I didn't want to deal with him.

After I killed Orthus (he got killed by an archer defending my city which was situated on a hill, despite the troops I had sent to the city that were already there), I started getting alot of barbarians popping up just outside my empire's borders. I guess they were pissed off that I killed orthus, and my cultural borders were pretty big. Initially I wondered where the hell they were coming from, but there was no city. I've had to post a few soldiers outside the borders to protect my workers as they keep popping up.

I always thought that the sepulcher was like some of the other unique features in that you couldn't build a city on top of it. While the Doviello (under Charadon) and the Clan can build on it apparently, by the time they get to where barbatos is, he is usually dead. The infernals could do it, but they come too late to have any real possibility of doing so.

IIRC, barb cities can spring up when multiple barb units occupy a tile, like Orthus does, so since Barbatos doesn't move and keeps fogbusting units away with his sumons, he's more likely to end up spawning a city there than on random tiles.

IIRC, barb cities can spring up when multiple barb units occupy a tile, like Orthus does, so since Barbatos doesn't move and keeps fogbusting units away with his sumons, he's more likely to end up spawning a city there than on random tiles.

Unless it's an unit with a long range of sight such as a lightbringer (or a particularily skilled or mutated scout), an unit is using an ancient tower, or the mirror of heaven terrain feature.

@Mailbox: The point of the calabim worldspell is that everybody is equally affected, the infernals can always use manes to build up thier cities again. Besides, that worldspell is usually triggered before Hyborem appears.

From the Known Issues in the original post by Kael:

"2. The mod loads okay, but when you go to start a game it crashes. You experience this error if you aren't running BtS patch 3.13."

Due to my UK copy of BTS getting scratched, I had to buy Civilization IV complete here in Thailand. It appears to be patch 3.13 but I have the problem where you get all the way up until the game is about to start, on screen it says "The Age of Ice has ended" then crash to desktop.

Is this a known problem?
Is there a workround?

My installation folder for civ is
D:\Games\Civ4\Beyond the Sword

so I pointed FfH to
D:\Games\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

I've had no problems with other BTS mods, so I am at a loss here.

Help would be much appreciated as I am a big fan of this mod and would love to get stuck back into it after a long break from civ and gaming in general! :)

From the Known Issues in the original post by Kael:

"2. The mod loads okay, but when you go to start a game it crashes. You experience this error if you aren't running BtS patch 3.13."

Due to my UK copy of BTS getting scratched, I had to buy Civilization IV complete here in Thailand. It appears to be patch 3.13 but I have the problem where you get all the way up until the game is about to start, on screen it says "The Age of Ice has ended" then crash to desktop.

Is this a known problem?
Is there a workround?

My installation folder for civ is
D:\Games\Civ4\Beyond the Sword

so I pointed FfH to

I've had no problems with other BTS mods, so I am at a loss here.

Help would be much appreciated as I am a big fan of this mod and would love to get stuck back into it after a long break from civ and gaming in general! :)

Try disabling the start movie and see what happens? If nothing else, that could narrow down where the error is occuring.

I had a similar issue, from the same reason (damaged original disc). What I found was the new civ was being installed in a different location, even though it uses the same installation folder and there will be what appears to be the civ stuff in the folder. The way I found where it was hidden was to right click on the BTS icon in your start menu, find its target, and then install the mod there instead of the main civ directory.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion jwin, but I think that's not going to help.

As I said, I installed the game to a non-default directory.

D:\Games\Civ4

My shortcut target is

"D:\Games\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe"

And I put FfH into

Pyr0mancer: Sorry, nearly missed spotting your suggestion. How do I go about doing that? Been a *looooong* time since I last played or tinkered with files and can't remember where anything is! ;)

Erm... quite frankly, I don't remember, and I don't have FfH installed on this computer. I think it was just in the main settings file in the BtS\Mods\FfH folder though, either an ini or xml.

cosmetic issue:

when i'm in anarchy the research screen tells me "1 turn left". shouldn't it be "999 turns left" or someting like that?

Load the mod, go to ADVANCED --> OPTIONS

Select the Graphics Tab

Check NO MOVIES.

I believe that only applies to the ingame wonder movies, since I have that disabled (not much point for FfH without the media pack), but still have the intro movie/slideshow.

edit: well dang, does that mean we know how to disable every movie except the one we want to disable?

Then go to your Beyond the Sword folder and you'll find a shortcut to _Civ4config. Open that and set:

; Set to 1 for no intro movie
NoIntroMovie = 0

(Near the middle of the file)

But I am pretty sure that is for before you get to the main screen (to select Single- or Multi-player)

Top Bottom