FfH2 Bug Thread

After applying the most recent patch, I am unable to play.
Do you mean that you installed the most recent patch of FfH2, or the most recent patch of Civ IV? I assume that because the patch broke other mods you have installed a Civ patch, but I need to be sure.

If this is correct, and you installed a Civ IV patch and now several of your mods no longer work, then this is not surprising. Many mods work with a specific version of Civ IV. You'll need to find versions of those mods that work with the version of Civ IV that you are using in order to be able to play those mods again.

If you happen to know which version of Civ IV and which version of FfH2 you have installed then we can let you know whether they should work together.

Do you mean that you installed the most recent patch of FfH2, or the most recent patch of Civ IV? I assume that because the patch broke other mods you have installed a Civ patch, but I need to be sure.

If this is correct, and you installed a Civ IV patch and now several of your mods no longer work, then this is not surprising. Many mods work with a specific version of Civ IV. You'll need to find versions of those mods that work with the version of Civ IV that you are using in order to be able to play those mods again.

If you happen to know which version of Civ IV and which version of FfH2 you have installed then we can let you know whether they should work together.

I installed the most recent patch for FfH2, not Civ. My version of BTS is current (3.19); I haven't patched it since 2009.

FfH2 worked for me (more or less... there is a recurring CTD when I select the "Dwarven scenario") before the patch (Patch "o")

All of the other mods *supposedly* work with BTS 3.19. I am the only person experiencing this problem (missing text) on any modpack, it would seem...

Python error logging hasn't produced any results.

I installed the most recent patch for FfH2, not Civ.
In that case something strange is going on, because installing a FfH2 patch (correctly) should not affect any other mod. I know you said that a couple of mods were still working, but what about base Civ IV itself? If you also have the problems you described in base Civ IV then you should probably completely reinstall it (and then your various mods).

If Civ IV itself is working correctly then I would recommend that you start by performing a complete reinstall of FfH2. Delete your "[path]/Beyond the Sword/Mods/Fall from Heaven 2" folder (where [path] is the path to your install of Civ IV), delete any FfH2 mod installers and patchers that you have, redownload the latest mod installer and patcher (using the links in the first post of this thread), and use those to reinstall the mod. You can consult my guide, How to Install FfH2, for a more detailed explanation of the process if that will be helpful.

If reinstalling FfH2 fixes the problem (for FfH2) then you can try reinstalling each of the other problem mods. If FfH2 still won't work after reinstalling it then there may be a problem with Civ IV itself - in which case a reinstall of Civ IV might be needed.

In that case something strange is going on, because installing a FfH2 patch (correctly) should not affect any other mod. I know you said that a couple of mods were still working, but what about base Civ IV itself? If you also have the problems you described in base Civ IV then you should probably completely reinstall it (and then your various mods).

If Civ IV itself is working correctly then I would recommend that you start by performing a complete reinstall of FfH2. Delete your "[path]/Beyond the Sword/Mods/Fall from Heaven 2" folder (where [path] is the path to your install of Civ IV), delete any FfH2 mod installers and patchers that you have, redownload the latest mod installer and patcher (using the links in the first post of this thread), and use those to reinstall the mod. You can consult my guide, How to Install FfH2, for a more detailed explanation of the process if that will be helpful.

If reinstalling FfH2 fixes the problem (for FfH2) then you can try reinstalling each of the other problem mods. If FfH2 still won't work after reinstalling it then there may be a problem with Civ IV itself - in which case a reinstall of Civ IV might be needed.

Thanks for your reply. Base Civ 4 seems to be working fine. The other problem mods have all be installed/wiped multiple times... with no visible results.

As previously stated, FfH2 was functional before this patch... so I think a reinstall won't fix the problem, but I'm willing to try anything @ this point. After 5 years of continuous play, I'm rather burned out on Vanilla Civ... I really need a good mod/modpack to hold my interest :)

Hello everyone...I was thoroughly enjoying FfH2, but something odd has occurred:

After applying the most recent patch, I am unable to play. The title screen is devoid of text; I cannot start a new game, access the option menu, or any other item.

I've checked my options in Vanilla Civ IV... English is my specified language. I've tried to debug, but no .py errors are logged.

I've experienced this problem on other modpacks:

LoR
NWAPreH
ROM: AND
Quot Capita

All behave the same way on my PC.

Other mods (like RFC and History of the 3 Kingdoms) work fine.

Any thoughts?

...my original post. Since then, I've deleted all Civ content from my PC & reinstalled everything (including FfH2). Curiously, it's now working... but I still have a CTD whenever I try to load "Against the Wall" (timed Dwarven scenario). Thanks, Emptiness... I was reluctant to delete anything, but you were right!

Scenario loading doesn't work quite right any more, and crashes are fairly common. You may be able to successfully load the scenario if you bypass the scenario interface and load the scenario file directly.

I don't where else to post .. but I used to play civ 4 and all mods with the retail version .. however that was installed long ago, I had to replace the hard drive and I didn't know where to code for the retail was so I bought the steam version. Now I can't use orbis or FFH2 properly ...

There is that annoying invalid mod thing but .. ok to get around I load from the mod section of BTS .. halfway through the loading I get one pop up at a time either :

Failed Loading XML file xml\text\civ4gametext_ffh2.xml.
[.\FXml.ccp:133] Error parsing XML File -
File: xml\text]civ4gametext_ffh2.xml
Reason: End tag 'TEXT' doest not match the start
tag 'French'.
Line: 479,7
Source: </TEXT>

That's the first type and the second after clicking OK is :

LoadXML call failed for xml\text\civ4gametext_ffh2.xml.
Current XML file is: xml\PythonCallbackDefines.xml

After clicking OK again I would get another type 1 except French is replaced with "German" and then type 2 again and so on .. after several clicks and each being a little different ..

After finally getting in either Orbis or FFH2 ... I look at the civlopedia and most things have the title like "TXT_KEY_TECH_EXPLORATION"

Many things have "TXT_KEY_" in it .. even the hints in loading are "TXT_KEY_HINT_56" lol

so .. anyway to fix this ? sorry for the long post .. I don't come often :cringe:

I bought the steam version. Now I can't use orbis or FFH2 properly ...
I haven't installed Orbis recently, so I'll start with FfH2. It's probably best to try to get that working first anyway.

If I understand correctly, the steam version will automatically update to BtS v. 3.19, and if you had an older version of FfH2 then that would be a problem. It's also possible that the FfH2 components were not all installed in the correct location. Unfortunately, there are a number of other things that could be causing your problems as well. I think that the fastest way to get this problem resolved is for you to reinstall FfH2 following the steps of my guide, How to Install FfH2. You should begin with the first section, Recovering from a failed installation attempt, and follow all the steps. If you run into any problems with the process, let me know what the problem is and where in the guide it occurred.

Had Bambur turn into a spider in a game earlier today. I've been noticing over the past few months that some Runes of Kilmorph units have "0% chance to turn to spider" (or something along those lines) listed when I mouse over them, but I never though this would have any gameplay effects.

This is in a mod I've been of FfH2 that I've been working on, but one based off of patch o. I haven't adjusted any DLL stuff, or done any XML changes to the Kilmorph units, though, so am not sure where this is coming from.

Hi,

Ocean grid textures been completed garbled since basically forever. That this hasn't been fixed boggles the mind. I went ahead and redid the grids for all terrain types so everything would match up perfectly.

Grid fix

I also fixed up the graphics for scrub. I compressed the grass texture to fix shimmering, enabled contour so it looks nice on hills, tweaked the cactuses a little bit, recolored the rock, and tidied up the file structure.

Scrub fix

If there are other feature types in the mod that float on hills I'd be happy to fix those too.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 126
I don't see any difference with ocean graphics (though since I'm like the complete opposite of a graphics whore, my opinion is to be taken with a bit of salt), but your scrubs graphics looks great.

(What's that with the jungle in the snow on the last screen though °_0)

Now that you mention it, New Forests on hills look somewhat like Levitating Forests. Of course, there's also the question of Mother Lode, the Khazad Worldspell, which turns tiles to hills, and is therefore the source of many graphical bugs (in the "Funny Screenshots" topic, you can see a city buried under a hill...), but fixing those would probably be more difficult.

The Scorpion unit also looks like it's kinda floating in the air.

i can't access the files right now, but did you fix the scrubs so the grass no longer floats in the air?

Let's try this again. Files are attached.

What's that with the jungle in the snow on the last screen though °_0
That's the Illian ritual that changes terrain around. That thing really, really needs some kind of sanity check for terrain and feature types.

The Scorpion unit also looks like it's kinda floating in the air.
That's probably just because it's a large, flat unit. Someone would have to remodel the legs or something.

i can't access the files right now, but did you fix the scrubs so the grass no longer floats in the air?
It's a setting in the nif file. Open it up with nifskope and you'll see what I did.

Attachments

• gridfix1.zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 82
  • gridfix2.zip
    9.9 MB · Views: 76
  • scrubfix.zip
    70.7 KB · Views: 83
It's a setting in the nif file. Open it up with nifskope and you'll see what I did.
i would if i was using my computer, but i am in a hotel right now. that is what i meant with i can't access the files.

i would if i was using my computer, but i am in a hotel right now. that is what i meant with i can't access the files.
Just add an NiStringExtraData property with a name of UserPropBuffer and a value of ContourGeometryUseZ. You can add it under the root of the scene or under only the parts of the mesh that should use contour.

The other way to do this is to specify TILE_ART_TYPE_TREES in the artdefine XML. The mesh will be contoured and the whole thing will sway back and forth, including the rock in that scrub mesh, which is funny to see. This way you can specify the locations of the tree models in another UserPropBuffer property (you'll really have to look at a forest mesh to see the format for that), and the game will automatically trim the model to fit around rivers or blend it into other tree features. I tried this with scrub and got strange results.

Gang,

I don't want to be a 'mommy' but I think this last discussion should not be on the bug forum, maybe the moid forum instead?

Best wishes,

Breunor

Patch 0.41p (unreleased)
1. Fixed an issue causing Sons of Asena to explode when they die and Pyre Zombies not to explode.

Great... I'm completly new to FfH, and for the last 2 hours, I've been searching for the reasons behind his fire based area damage. Honestly, why didn't you release this? It completly ruins any game with a Doviello in it. I'm currently Infernal, and trying to defend my city with Mardero, Rosier, Hyborem, max number of beast of agares, max number of eidolons, some imps and a few defensive units (didn't have time to properly prepare for war, since I just switched to infernal). I use Rust several times, and wither with a hero.

I'm being attacked by lots of sons of asenas. And I have no chance. Right now, I'm not even sure I want to continue playing mods, because they always end like this.

Top Bottom