FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

It appears Argentina will officially become the best country in the world, in roughly half an hour :)
*several assistants restrain Takhisis with difficulty from strangling Kyriakos live on air*

So, in the end, we got a ‘Argentina gets the win but Mbappé gets the Golden Snitch’ type of thing.

(nevermind that Messi scored twice)

Six hours after the end of the game itself and people are still partying. It was amazing: city hall just decided to declare several traditional gathering spots to be the ‘recommended’ places.
After people started partying I decided to join the march towards the biggest of the nearest ones. It was a human tide that sort-of thickened gradually until at some point it became several city blocks' worth of people packed together (sidenote: everybody quarantined for coronavirus, right?). Some enterprising Chinese (in other countries they start restaurants, but here they manage convenience stores) cashed in by selling discount flags to any enthusiastic passer-by. There must have been a few tens of thousands of people there.
Thence I made my way to a thoroughfare where people were going to the Obelisk itself, where I just wouldn't go. On my way back I passed by the rally point (still going strong) and then dropped by another one, smaller but closer to home.

It apparently is thus everywhere.
Of course, at the Obelisk itself there's a crowd of maybe a million people.

The national football team™ is one of the few things that still have by-and-large unanimous support and trust from the general public.

The match itself was one for the ages in which two teams actually gave it all. Pity that Argentina still had Di María unfit for a whole 90-minute game, but at least he was there to play and score.
Control of the game went from one team to the other. France sort-of reacted by bits. A lot of it was just Argentina's merit in keeping France out of the game, which took a lot of effort.
The refereeing was quite good and not just for a tournament organised by FIFA itself. All three penalties were well-awarded, offside calls almost always spot-on, great.
As a matter of personal feeling, I wasn't that worried after France equalised because Argentina as a team had shown that it could overcome blows such as Australia's pulling one back or the Dutch equalising in injurious time to actually regain control of the match (the opposition's own worthy efforts notwithstanding). But that's also because after a couple of decades as a spectator I've seen everything… and also the TV broadcast was slightly delayed here so other people in the neighbourhood were calling out things a second or two in advance so there was comparatively little surprise. Things are as they are.
It was also somewhat poetic that the same player who handled the ball just two minutes from the end of extra time to give Mbappé his penalty (and third goal) then scored the fourth (and last) penalty in the ensuing shootout. Football has those weird things.

In Alex Ferguson's words, bloody hell.

It was also somewhat poetic that the same player who handled the ball just two minutes from the end of extra time to give Mbappé his penalty (and third goal) then scored the fourth (and last) penalty in the ensuing shootout.

I am so glad he got redemption. It seemed so unfair for that to be a penalty, it would have haunted him forever, instead it will already be forgotten.

I am so glad he got redemption. It seemed so unfair for that to be a penalty, it would have haunted him forever, instead it will already be forgotten.

On the other hand, I'd hope Dembele would be haunted by the one he caused, but I don't know if he has even realized that he was playing a World Cup anyway...

Too bad France started playing so late in the game, but what an incredible finale, and a great winner.

Didn't end up watching a single minute of the tournament, the hours were bad and I couldn't be bothered setting up a new streaming app

What was with Macron grabbing at that guy’s head? Trying to steal his soul so he could finally have one?

I watched the Argentina v France final on a large screen
with some friends of the family.

I thought it was a good game, only slightly marred by a pointless
foul in the box, one by each team, resulting in a penalty and a goal.

The human tide phenomenon has ed-grown (it never actually vanished, it merely ebbed a bit on Monday) and now it has swelled to an about-6-million-people march.

Confirmed. The government has aggressively promoted the image of Maradona (drugs, alcohol, irreverence, sloppiness, unprofessionality). Lots of people in a 30 ºC heat with drugs and alcohol in their system, letting themselves go after a couple of years of heavy repression and a collapsed country… with the recurrent crowd troubles at all levels of professional football this was in the making (there's been people killed in stadia only a couple of months ago) and anyone could have seen it coming, except for the government, which actively encouraged it.

It's a sad end to the whole adventure, but at least the players are getting more decent heroes' welcomes in their home towns/neighbourhoods.

Top Bottom